|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sedaris claims he sees so many movies because
(a) He is too intimidated by the French to do anything else.
(b) He is too lazy to do anything else.
(c) He has no interest in other attractions.
(d) He has not seen most of these films in America.
2. The derogatory term Martin uses for a French person is
(d) French fry.
3. Whose childhood stories does Sedaris borrow for this essay?
(a) His mother's.
(c) His father's.
4. Sedaris attempts to impress his teacher by
(a) Using his humor to lighten up the class.
(b) Speaking perfect French.
(c) Using his humor to make homework assignments interesting.
(d) Speaking only English in class.
5. Martin, the American husband, remarks that
(a) Sedaris stole Hugh's wallet.
(b) Sedaris, like all the French, smells badly.
(c) Sedaris stole his wallet on his last trip to Paris.
(d) Sedaris does not speak French well.
6. Sedaris says he sounds like an evil baby when speaking French because
(a) He only uses curse words.
(b) He refuses to learn new words.
(c) He refuses to speak French aloud.
(d) He only uses nouns at first.
7. Sedaris notes that American businesses ask consumers to conserve water and napkins, but not
(a) The services or products consumers pay for.
(b) Expensive items.
(c) Items that can be re-used.
(d) The services or products that are complimentary.
8. According to Sedaris, speaking Easy French means
(a) Speaking only conversational French.
(b) Memorizing phrases from a guidebook.
(c) Screaming English at the top of your lungs.
(d) Using only nouns.
9. Why does Hugh get frustrated with Sedaris' multiple purchases?
(a) They don't eat most of the foods that Sedaris can pronounce.
(b) They don't have enough room for all of Sedaris' purchases.
(c) Hugh is concerned that Sedaris will never learn proper French.
(d) Hugh is concerned about the money Sedaris spends.
10. Sedaris takes it personally when his teacher says
(a) He will never learn French.
(b) She will not pass him from the course.
(c) His accent is terrible.
(d) She hates him.
11. What are the vachettes?
(a) Angry French teenagers.
(b) French crafts.
(c) Crocheted doilies.
(d) Long-horned cattle.
12. Why does Sedaris feel ashamed about his inability to speak proper French?
(a) A friend told him that French is easy if one pays attention in class.
(b) A friend told him that French is the easiest language to learn.
(c) A friend told him that French children learn English easily.
(d) A friend told him that French children never struggle with the sex of their nouns.
13. Reggie believes that he is a genius because
(a) Sedaris has confirmed it.
(b) His has an IQ of 130.
(c) His childhood teachers told him so.
(d) He has a prestigious job.
14. Using the reference books, Sedaris discovers a whole new world of
15. Unlike American theaters, French theaters
(a) Do not offer ice cream.
(b) Do not allow repeat viewings.
(c) Do not offer a choice of seats.
(d) Do not offer many concessions.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sedaris can no longer turn to his friends and family for help with the puzzles, he
2. At the Festival of Saint Anne, Sedaris is offered the chance to
3. In this essay, Sedaris' itineraries revolve around
4. Sedaris bonds with the other students
5. When Hugh's father was late picking him up from the movies, he discovered
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)