|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What changes Sedaris' mind about visiting France for the summer?
(a) The promise of being a local celebrity convinces Sedaris to visit France.
(b) Loneliness convinces Sedaris to visit France.
(c) The gifts Hugh brings him convince Sedaris to visit France.
(d) The desire to learn French convinces Sedaris to visit France.
2. Sedaris is somewhat flattered by the notion that he might be a pick-pocket because
(a) It allows him to behave as he sees fit.
(b) It endows him with skills hardly recognized in him.
(c) It allows him to hide his real identify.
(d) It endows him with some skill and mystery.
3. Sedaris decides to try a crossword puzzle when
(a) His father suggests he is not smart enought to do them.
(b) His father suggests he try a new hobby.
(c) He discovers his ex-boyfriend does them while on the phone.
(d) He discovers Hugh does them while on the phone.
4. Thanks to his sister, Amy, Sedaris learns
(a) Literary terms in French.
(b) The score to Phantom of the Opera.
(c) The score to Madame Butterfly.
(d) Medical terms in French.
5. What does Sedaris admit to feeling for America?
6. In most of his fantasies, Sedaris gives himself
(a) Extraordinary gifts or powers.
(b) A handicap he needs to overcome.
(c) A fortune to spend any way he wants.
(d) A faithful sidekick.
7. At the end of the essay, Sedaris compares himself to
(a) A baby.
(b) A hillbilly.
(c) A criminal.
(d) A celebrity.
8. What holiday does Sedaris find himself explaining to a Moroccan woman in his French class?
9. Sedaris deals with his new fear of speaking French by
(a) Writing down all his comments.
(b) Speaking only Enlish.
(c) Forcing himself to join in conversations.
(d) Pretending to be deaf.
10. Sedaris is surprised to learn that in France,
(a) Christmas is celebrated in January.
(b) Thanksgiving Day revolves around a pumpkin.
(c) Easter chocolate is delivered by a giant bell.
(d) Halloween is a purely religious holiday.
11. Sedaris' own family was
(a) Russian Orthodox.
(d) Greek Orthodox.
12. Sedaris notes that American businesses ask consumers to conserve water and napkins, but not
(a) Items that can be re-used.
(b) The services or products consumers pay for.
(c) The services or products that are complimentary.
(d) Expensive items.
13. Sedaris says he sounds like an evil baby when speaking French because
(a) He refuses to learn new words.
(b) He only uses nouns at first.
(c) He only uses curse words.
(d) He refuses to speak French aloud.
14. Sedaris does not usually socialize with the members of his French class because
(a) He feels too awkward about being an American.
(b) He feels too ashamed of his minimal French.
(c) He feels too old and worn out.
(d) He feels awkward about his celebrity.
15. Sedaris has trouble sleeping since
(a) He moved to Paris.
(b) He moved in with Hugh.
(c) He gave up drugs and alcohol.
(d) He gave up caffeinated beverages.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sedaris finds that most of the people in class share the belief that
2. Though Sedaris is in Paris, he spends most of his time
3. Martin, the American husband, remarks that
4. Sedaris is considered a celebrity by French teenagers because
5. What led Sedaris to take an IQ test?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)