|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Martin, the American husband, remarks that
(a) Sedaris, like all the French, smells badly.
(b) Sedaris stole Hugh's wallet.
(c) Sedaris does not speak French well.
(d) Sedaris stole his wallet on his last trip to Paris.
2. In most of his fantasies, Sedaris gives himself
(a) A fortune to spend any way he wants.
(b) A faithful sidekick.
(c) Extraordinary gifts or powers.
(d) A handicap he needs to overcome.
3. What does Sedaris admit to feeling for America?
4. Sedaris is considered a celebrity by French teenagers because
(a) He owns a glamorous home.
(b) He knows many celebrities.
(c) He is a published author.
(d) He is from New York City.
5. Why does Sedaris feel ashamed about his inability to speak proper French?
(a) A friend told him that French children learn English easily.
(b) A friend told him that French children never struggle with the sex of their nouns.
(c) A friend told him that French is the easiest language to learn.
(d) A friend told him that French is easy if one pays attention in class.
6. At the end of the essay, Sedaris compares himself to
(a) A baby.
(b) A hillbilly.
(c) A celebrity.
(d) A criminal.
7. The celebrity Sedaris' barber is fascinated by is
(a) Mel Gibson.
(b) Michael Jackson.
(d) Jodi Foster.
8. What holiday does Sedaris find himself explaining to a Moroccan woman in his French class?
9. Sedaris does not usually socialize with the members of his French class because
(a) He feels too ashamed of his minimal French.
(b) He feels too awkward about being an American.
(c) He feels awkward about his celebrity.
(d) He feels too old and worn out.
10. Sedaris' own family was
(b) Greek Orthodox.
(d) Russian Orthodox.
11. At the start of the essay, Sedaris explains how he met
12. As an adult, what prompts Sedaris to believe he is a genius?
(a) His philosophical theories.
(c) His art.
13. Sedaris deals with his new fear of speaking French by
(a) Forcing himself to join in conversations.
(b) Pretending to be deaf.
(c) Speaking only Enlish.
(d) Writing down all his comments.
14. The crossword puzzles grow harder as
(a) The week progresses.
(b) They include sports and opera.
(c) They are translated into French.
(d) The months progress.
15. Sedaris bonds with the other students
(a) Over their common fear of failing the class.
(b) Over their hatred for the teacher.
(c) Over the common fear that they will never learn French.
(d) Over the common hope that their teacher will like them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sedaris confesses his own fear is that
2. Using the reference books, Sedaris discovers a whole new world of
3. What is the most difficult part of learning French for Sedaris?
4. Why did the class have to explain Easter to the Moroccan woman?
5. When Sedaris completes his first puzzle,
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)