|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Two extreme facets of Paul's personality are
(a) Eating candy and refusing to work.
(b) Drinking Mountain Dew and wearing make-up.
(c) Fighting and swearing.
(d) Studying and reading.
2. Sedaris first compares his speech therapist to
(a) A football player.
(b) A supermodel.
(c) A government agent.
(d) The devil.
3. One reason Sedaris resists the computer is
(a) He likes travelling with the typewriter.
(b) He likes to be able to physically correct his mistakes using Liquid Paper.
(c) He likes to see the physical product of his work, as he does with a typewriter.
(d) He believes the computer cannot translate his words correctly.
4. The scientific term Sedaris fears his father will use is
5. During their last meeting together, Sedaris learns that Miss Sampson
(a) Has been fired because she could not help the students.
(b) Is leaving to work at another school.
(c) Has quit her job because she feels like a failure.
(d) Is aware of his homosexuality.
6. Why is it difficult for Sedaris to travel with a typewriter?
(a) Security usually does not know what a typewriter is.
(b) Sedaris insults security, and this calls attention to him and his typewriter.
(c) The typewriter is heavy and cumbersome.
(d) Security finds the typewriter unusual enough to stop him regularly.
7. When visiting home, Amy tortures her father by
(a) Wearing a fat suit and pretending to be grossly overweight.
(b) Claiming that he is grossly overweight.
(c) Ignoring his questions about her personal life.
(d) Pretending she refused to appear in the magazine article.
8. What adds to Sedaris' tension while he is in the bathroom?
(a) His friend keeps asking him what he is doing in there.
(b) He can hear the others beginning to talk about him outside.
(c) His friend keeps knocking on the door to hurry him up.
(d) He needs to use the toilet himself.
9. Sedaris is dismayed when he visits The Plaza because
(a) He finds it overrun with tourists like Bonnie.
(b) He is completely underdressed.
(c) Bonnie has been humiliated by New York women.
(d) He is intimidated by the New Yorkers.
10. Facing his lack of artistic talent might mean
(a) Admitting his father was right.
(b) Needing more drugs.
(c) Learning a new trade.
(d) Sobering up and moving on.
11. Sedaris compares the typewriter's antiquity to
(a) Eight-track tapes and the quill.
(b) Eight-track tapes and VCRs.
(c) Cassette players.
(d) The printing press.
12. Sedaris believed he was living art because
(a) He was on drugs and deluded by his own sense of self-importance.
(b) He allowed a friend to shoot him in the shoulder.
(c) He sold silk sceens of footprints.
(d) He was finally off drugs and moving past performance art.
13. Mr. Mancini claims to be
(a) A ladies man.
(b) A homosexual.
(c) A frustrated artist.
(d) A rock star.
14. How does Sedaris prepare to teach his workshop?
(a) He reads articles by famous writers.
(b) He practices introducing himself in front of the mirror while holding a briefcase.
(c) He organizes several get-to-know-you activities.
(d) He writes elaborate lesson plans.
15. Mr. Mancini makes Sedaris uncomfortable by constantly referring to
(a) Women and sex.
(b) Popular songs Sedaris does not know.
(c) Men and sex.
(d) Jazz musicians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skill does Sedaris admire in his mother that eludes him?
2. Sedaris is not bothered by the possible ingredients in a hot dog because
3. Sedaris feels out of place in the restaurant because
4. Lou Sedaris is concerned about Amy's looks because
5. Sedaris recalls that his mother explained
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)