|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Sedaris has been preoccupied with tanning, his father has been preoccupied with
(a) The price of beachfront property.
(b) Scientific questions.
(c) His fear of the ocean.
(d) The Miss Emollient Pageant.
2. When Mancini insists he name his guitar, Sedaris names his "Joan," after
(a) His mother.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His friend.
(d) His sister.
3. Richie had been in prison for
(a) Killing his younger brother.
(b) Burning his sister's boyfriend to death.
(c) Refusing to pay taxes.
(d) Burning his sister to death.
4. Sedaris' enjoyment of the ocean was ruined by
(a) His experiences swimming in it.
(b) His father's explanation of the tides.
(c) His interest in sun-bathing.
(d) His mother's comparing it to a saltwater toilet.
5. Before leaving for The Plaza, Sedaris warns Bonnie that
(a) She will get mugged if she dresses too formally.
(b) She might want to go someplace less formal.
(c) She will probably be overcharged by her cab driver.
(d) She might want to put on more formal clothing.
6. How does Sedaris prepare to teach his workshop?
(a) He reads articles by famous writers.
(b) He practices introducing himself in front of the mirror while holding a briefcase.
(c) He writes elaborate lesson plans.
(d) He organizes several get-to-know-you activities.
7. Lou Sedaris once dreamed that computers would
(a) Eliminate the need to leave his home.
(b) Eliminate the need for typewriters.
(c) Connect people to their jobs at all times.
(d) Connect people all over the world.
8. Sedaris feels out of place in the restaurant because
(a) He cannot understand the menu.
(b) He does not like any of the food.
(c) He is on his first date with Hugh.
(d) He has to borrow a jacket from the maitre d'.
9. Sedaris' interest in science extended only to
(a) Performing surgery on his pets.
(b) Freezing animals and fixing his record player.
(c) Getting his pets drunk and thawing them out again.
(d) Fixing his record player and exploring marine life.
10. Sedaris goes to work for Patrick because
(a) Valencia has refused to pay him, and Patrick is wealthy.
(b) Valencia has cut his hours, and Patrick offers him a job moving furniture.
(c) Valencia has demanded he and Patrick catch a rare bird.
(d) Patrick has the same contempt for the wealthy that Sedaris feels.
11. Sedaris' first artistic success takes the form of
(a) Two wooden crates filled with garbage.
(b) Toe nail clippings.
(c) A frying pan full of toy soldiers.
(d) A nest of human hair.
12. Where music is concerned, Sedaris' father could be described as a
13. Sedaris resents his father's approach toward art because
(a) He knows his father's talent has not passed on to him.
(b) It seems to come easily to his father, yet he does not invest in it.
(c) Art eludes both him and his father, but his father is viewed as an artist.
(d) He wants to be like his father, but cannot be.
14. Sedaris' attempt to recruit his guitar teacher for his jingle-singing act results in
15. Sedaris suggests his brother is radically different from his other siblings because
(a) He is much younger, and a North Carolina native.
(b) He is more refined than they are.
(c) He is a North Carolina native with gentlemanly Southern values.
(d) He is the oldest, and therefore the most conservative.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sedaris finally recognizes Mr. Mancini as a fellow outsider when
2. Facing his lack of artistic talent might mean
3. What finally convinces Sedaris that the computer might be interesting or enjoyable?
4. Sedaris and his father seem to
5. In the end, Sedaris decides
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)