|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lou Sedaris excited about at the start of the essay?
(a) His daughter ,Amy, has lost a considerable amount of weight.
(b) His daughter, Amy, is getting married.
(c) His daughter, Amy, is going to appear in a magazine article.
(d) David is going to appear in a magazine article.
2. The name "Rooster" came from
(a) Paul's business.
(b) Paul's mother.
(c) Paul's father.
(d) Paul himself.
3. Before Paul's personality fully emerged, his parents tried to interest him in
(a) Writing and painting.
(b) Girls and dating.
(c) Music and sports.
(d) Math and science.
4. Sedaris questions
(a) His own inability to go to the bathroom comfortably in public
(b) Others inability to feel shame.
(c) His own inability to leave the toilet unflushed, thereby assuming the guilt.
(d) His own need for cleanliness.
5. The dog Mr. and Mrs. Sedaris coddled as empty-nesters was
(a) Mumbles, the teddy bear.
(b) Madchen 2, the replacement German Shepard.
(c) Melina, a Great Dane.
(d) Sadie the cat.
6. Sedaris is dismayed when he visits The Plaza because
(a) He is completely underdressed.
(b) Bonnie has been humiliated by New York women.
(c) He finds it overrun with tourists like Bonnie.
(d) He is intimidated by the New Yorkers.
7. Amy Sedaris is fond of
(a) Dressing up and impersonating others.
(b) Impersonating her father.
(c) Having her picture taken for the newspaper.
(d) Gaining and losing weight haphazardly.
8. Sedaris' enjoyment of the ocean was ruined by
(a) His mother's comparing it to a saltwater toilet.
(b) His experiences swimming in it.
(c) His interest in sun-bathing.
(d) His father's explanation of the tides.
9. Miss Sampson attempts to illustrate Sedaris' speech problem by
(a) Over enunciating her 's' sounds.
(b) Insisting Sedaris only use 's' words.
(c) Asking the rest of the class to comment on it.
(d) Making fun of his lisp at every opportunity.
10. Sedaris feels out of place in the restaurant because
(a) He cannot understand the menu.
(b) He has to borrow a jacket from the maitre d'.
(c) He does not like any of the food.
(d) He is on his first date with Hugh.
11. Sedaris' first artistic success takes the form of
(a) Two wooden crates filled with garbage.
(b) A nest of human hair.
(c) Toe nail clippings.
(d) A frying pan full of toy soldiers.
12. Sedaris compares his father's most recent dog, Sophie, to
(a) A capricious young bride.
(b) An inexperienced substitute teacher.
(c) A substitute wife.
(d) A trophy wife.
13. The Japanese cartoon Fatty and Skinny makes Sedaris sad because
(a) Skinny always demands money from Fatty.
(b) Fatty is unable to meet Skinny's demands and loses his friendship.
(c) Skinny is unable to meet Fatty's demands, and ends up friendless.
(d) Fatty always rejects Skinny in the end.
14. What adds to Sedaris' tension while he is in the bathroom?
(a) He needs to use the toilet himself.
(b) His friend keeps knocking on the door to hurry him up.
(c) He can hear the others beginning to talk about him outside.
(d) His friend keeps asking him what he is doing in there.
15. Bonnie comes to enjoy New York when
(a) She visits the sites where no New Yorkers will visit.
(b) She takes Sedaris' suggestion to dress appropriately.
(c) She visits the flea market with Sedaris and is pleasantly surprised by it.
(d) She visits the Plaza at tea time and discovers the real New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sedaris fears his father is not up to the task of caring for his new dog, Sophie, because
2. The irony of the fisherman's position is that
3. Miss Sampson believes Sedaris lisps because
4. Sedaris refuses to order dessert because
5. The question "Which do you like better, State or Carolina?" refers to
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)