|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prompts Sedaris to find a job in New York?
(a) He cannot live on his savings alone in New York.
(b) He is planning to buy a townhouse.
(c) His father disapproves of his lifestyle.
(d) He is ashamed of his poverty.
2. Why is it difficult for Sedaris to travel with a typewriter?
(a) Security usually does not know what a typewriter is.
(b) Security finds the typewriter unusual enough to stop him regularly.
(c) The typewriter is heavy and cumbersome.
(d) Sedaris insults security, and this calls attention to him and his typewriter.
3. The sign Sedaris would post on the Speech Therapist's door would read
(a) Future Homosexuals of America.
(b) Future Sports Enthusiasts of America.
(c) Speech Therapy Lab.
(d) Janitor's Closet.
4. One aspect of the food that disturbs Sedaris is
(a) That it is arranged to look like a face on his plate.
(b) That it is piled in an unrecognizable heap.
(c) That it is stacked vertically on his plate.
(d) That it is laid out in a horizontal line.
5. Sedaris and his father seem to
(a) Have few common interests.
(b) Have an unusually close realtionship
(c) Try to make each other unhappy.
(d) Be angry at each other most of the time.
6. Miss Sampson asks the previous question in order to
(a) Determine whether or not she will like Sedaris.
(b) Trick Sedaris into revealing his disdain for sports.
(c) Provoke an argument about football.
(d) Get Sedaris talking so she might hear his lisp.
7. What Sedaris admires in his sister Gretchen is
(a) Her admission to art school.
(b) Her indifference to art.
(c) Her talent as a sculptor.
(d) Her own personality.
8. Lou Sedaris once dreamed that computers would
(a) Eliminate the need for typewriters.
(b) Connect people all over the world.
(c) Eliminate the need to leave his home.
(d) Connect people to their jobs at all times.
9. Sedaris' friend Alisha describes most people as
(c) A handful.
10. What is Lou Sedaris excited about at the start of the essay?
(a) His daughter, Amy, is going to appear in a magazine article.
(b) His daughter, Amy, is getting married.
(c) His daughter ,Amy, has lost a considerable amount of weight.
(d) David is going to appear in a magazine article.
11. The dog Mr. and Mrs. Sedaris coddled as empty-nesters was
(a) Sadie the cat.
(b) Mumbles, the teddy bear.
(c) Madchen 2, the replacement German Shepard.
(d) Melina, a Great Dane.
12. What finally convinces Sedaris that the computer might be interesting or enjoyable?
(a) Amy shows him how to use the word processor.
(b) His father convinces him that he can work much faster on a computer.
(c) His father tells him how the Internet can connect the world.
(d) Amy shows him Internet pornography.
13. What skill does Sedaris admire in his mother that eludes him?
(a) She can tan the backs of her ears and her palms.
(b) She can explain how a radio works.
(c) She can smoke an entire cigarette without taking it out of her mouth.
(d) She can solve his father's equations.
14. How does Sedaris prepare to teach his workshop?
(a) He organizes several get-to-know-you activities.
(b) He practices introducing himself in front of the mirror while holding a briefcase.
(c) He writes elaborate lesson plans.
(d) He reads articles by famous writers.
15. During their last meeting together, Sedaris learns that Miss Sampson
(a) Has been fired because she could not help the students.
(b) Is leaving to work at another school.
(c) Is aware of his homosexuality.
(d) Has quit her job because she feels like a failure.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sedaris fears his father is not up to the task of caring for his new dog, Sophie, because
2. Sedaris questions
3. Sedaris' mother might be described as
4. Sedaris justifies viewing soap operas in class by
5. While Sedaris has been preoccupied with tanning, his father has been preoccupied with
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)