|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sedaris' attempt to recruit his guitar teacher for his jingle-singing act results in
2. Sedaris and his father seem to
(a) Be angry at each other most of the time.
(b) Try to make each other unhappy.
(c) Have few common interests.
(d) Have an unusually close realtionship
3. Sedaris recalls that his mother explained
(a) That everyone had bowel movements, but that we should not admit to them.
(b) That everyone had bowel movements, so he should not be ashamed about them.
(c) That one should never leave a toilet unflushed.
(d) That one should never make a bowel movement at another's home.
4. Sedaris describes his guitar teacher as
(a) A dwarf.
(b) A midget.
(d) An expert.
5. Sedaris' first artistic success takes the form of
(a) A nest of human hair.
(b) Two wooden crates filled with garbage.
(c) A frying pan full of toy soldiers.
(d) Toe nail clippings.
6. When Mancini insists he name his guitar, Sedaris names his "Joan," after
(a) His friend.
(b) His mother.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His sister.
7. Sedaris decides to make his students more comfortable by
(a) Allowing them to smoke in class.
(b) Sharing his private life with them.
(c) Allowing them to drink in class.
(d) Letting them design the class activities.
8. Amy Sedaris is fond of
(a) Having her picture taken for the newspaper.
(b) Impersonating her father.
(c) Gaining and losing weight haphazardly.
(d) Dressing up and impersonating others.
9. In the end, Sedaris' authority is undermined when
(a) He admits that he has never been published.
(b) He admits how much money he is paid to teach the class
(c) He allows a student to teach the class.
(d) He refuses to answer a student's question about his salary.
10. Sedaris compares his father's most recent dog, Sophie, to
(a) An inexperienced substitute teacher.
(b) A substitute wife.
(c) A capricious young bride.
(d) A trophy wife.
11. Sedaris first compares his speech therapist to
(a) A football player.
(b) A government agent.
(c) The devil.
(d) A supermodel.
12. Sedaris' father asks him if he knows
(a) Why the fishermen are so tan.
(b) How many fish there are in the ocean.
(c) How many grains of sand there are in the world.
(d) If he is aware of the dangers of sun-tanning.
13. The dog Mr. and Mrs. Sedaris coddled as empty-nesters was
(a) Madchen 2, the replacement German Shepard.
(b) Melina, a Great Dane.
(c) Mumbles, the teddy bear.
(d) Sadie the cat.
14. What is Lou Sedaris excited about at the start of the essay?
(a) His daughter, Amy, is going to appear in a magazine article.
(b) His daughter, Amy, is getting married.
(c) David is going to appear in a magazine article.
(d) His daughter ,Amy, has lost a considerable amount of weight.
15. During his experience as a mover, Sedaris begins to change because
(a) He resents anyone who appears wealthy and organized.
(b) He is always willing to move the attractive women, no matter how disorganized.
(c) He resents customers with too many books or records, and imagines himself an ant completing a task.
(d) He imagines himself the queen ant ordering her inferiors about.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sedaris suggests his brother is radically different from his other siblings because
2. Sedaris confesses his desire to perform what songs before an audience?
3. Sedaris fears his father is not up to the task of caring for his new dog, Sophie, because
4. While Sedaris has been preoccupied with tanning, his father has been preoccupied with
5. The title Sedaris tried to win for sun-bathing was
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)