|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The question "Which do you like better, State or Carolina?" refers to
(a) Contenders for the Superbowl title.
(b) Two local towns.
(c) Two different titles for one football team.
(d) University football teams.
2. Sedaris first compares his speech therapist to
(a) A supermodel.
(b) The devil.
(c) A government agent.
(d) A football player.
3. Sedaris' attempt to recruit his guitar teacher for his jingle-singing act results in
4. Miss Sampson attempts to illustrate Sedaris' speech problem by
(a) Over enunciating her 's' sounds.
(b) Asking the rest of the class to comment on it.
(c) Making fun of his lisp at every opportunity.
(d) Insisting Sedaris only use 's' words.
5. Before Paul's personality fully emerged, his parents tried to interest him in
(a) Music and sports.
(b) Writing and painting.
(c) Girls and dating.
(d) Math and science.
6. Lou Sedaris busies himself
(b) Working equations in the sand.
(c) Chatting with fishermen.
7. Sedaris goes to work for Patrick because
(a) Valencia has cut his hours, and Patrick offers him a job moving furniture.
(b) Valencia has refused to pay him, and Patrick is wealthy.
(c) Valencia has demanded he and Patrick catch a rare bird.
(d) Patrick has the same contempt for the wealthy that Sedaris feels.
8. Despite his experiences, Sedaris still finds the view of Manhattan and the fantasy of wealth
9. Rather than sports, Sedaris states that he and his fellow speech therapy students were more interested in
(a) Baking, making scrapbooks, and doing art projects.
(b) Fighting and lifting weights.
(c) Studying and graduating early.
(d) Playing video games.
10. Sedaris is dismayed when he visits The Plaza because
(a) He is intimidated by the New Yorkers.
(b) He finds it overrun with tourists like Bonnie.
(c) Bonnie has been humiliated by New York women.
(d) He is completely underdressed.
11. The scientific term Sedaris fears his father will use is
12. Why is Sedaris unable to ignore the problem?
(a) Everyone else knows he has been in the bathroom.
(b) Everyone else has already tried to clean it up an failed.
(c) He feels guilty about leaving a mess behind for others to clean up.
(d) He is obsessive about cleanliness.
13. Sedaris confesses his desire to perform what songs before an audience?
(a) Commercial jingles.
(b) Pop songs.
(c) Jazz classics.
(d) Blues classics.
14. Ironically, the food at the restaurant is described as
(a) Home cooking.
(b) American Gothic.
(d) Traditional American.
15. Instead of the performance piece in the twelfth "moment," Sedaris seems to admire
(a) The beauty of the ordinary world around him.
(b) The courage of the performer.
(c) The number of people attending the performance.
(d) The metaphors apparent in the performance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sedaris refuses to order dessert because
2. The name "Rooster" came from
3. By way of explanation, Amy Sedaris explains her "bruises" and "sores" by saying
4. Mr. Mancini makes Sedaris uncomfortable by constantly referring to
5. In the bathroom, the major problem Sedaris faces is
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)