|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sedaris' attempt to recruit his guitar teacher for his jingle-singing act results in
2. Sedaris feels out of place in the restaurant because
(a) He has to borrow a jacket from the maitre d'.
(b) He does not like any of the food.
(c) He is on his first date with Hugh.
(d) He cannot understand the menu.
3. When Mancini insists he name his guitar, Sedaris names his "Joan," after
(a) His friend.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His mother.
(d) His sister.
4. Sedaris is dismayed when he visits The Plaza because
(a) He is completely underdressed.
(b) He is intimidated by the New Yorkers.
(c) Bonnie has been humiliated by New York women.
(d) He finds it overrun with tourists like Bonnie.
5. Sedaris enjoys Alisha's visits because
(a) She is willing to do whatever anyone else wants to do.
(b) She never brings guests.
(c) She has her own opinions on New York.
(d) She is independent and always goes out on her own.
6. The scientific term Sedaris fears his father will use is
7. At the end of the essay, Miss Sampson tricks Sedaris by
(a) Getting him to say "I'm sorry."
(b) Getting him to overcome his lisp.
(c) Making him continue to take speech therapy.
(d) Forcing him to speak in front of the class.
8. Richie had been in prison for
(a) Burning his sister to death.
(b) Killing his younger brother.
(c) Burning his sister's boyfriend to death.
(d) Refusing to pay taxes.
9. By way of explanation, Amy Sedaris explains her "bruises" and "sores" by saying
(a) She is finally in love.
(b) Her father beat her up.
(c) She fell down the stairs.
(d) Her public should love her no matter what she looks like.
10. Rather than sports, Sedaris states that he and his fellow speech therapy students were more interested in
(a) Fighting and lifting weights.
(b) Baking, making scrapbooks, and doing art projects.
(c) Playing video games.
(d) Studying and graduating early.
11. Why are the fishermen interested in Lou Sedaris' equation?
(a) They want to know why he is drawing in the sand.
(b) They are interested in the number of grains of sand per acre.
(c) They want to know how much their property would have been worth today.
(d) They want to know if he is interested in buying property.
12. One reason Sedaris resists the computer is
(a) He likes to be able to physically correct his mistakes using Liquid Paper.
(b) He likes to see the physical product of his work, as he does with a typewriter.
(c) He likes travelling with the typewriter.
(d) He believes the computer cannot translate his words correctly.
13. Sedaris wonders at the way Paul and his father
(a) Continue to live under the same roof.
(b) Communicate so well.
(c) Avoid one another.
(d) Have learned to endure one another.
14. Sedaris is not bothered by the possible ingredients in a hot dog because
(a) He does not believe the rumors about them.
(b) He is used to exotic foods.
(c) He only eats vegetarian hot dogs.
(d) He recognizes the hot dog as food.
15. Lou Sedaris once dreamed that computers would
(a) Eliminate the need for typewriters.
(b) Connect people to their jobs at all times.
(c) Eliminate the need to leave his home.
(d) Connect people all over the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lou Sedaris said his daughters would thank him for
2. Who or what threatens to divide Sedaris' class?
3. Sedaris believed he was living art because
4. Sedaris first compares his speech therapist to
5. Mr. Mancini makes Sedaris uncomfortable by constantly referring to
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)