|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sedaris prepare to teach his workshop?
(a) He writes elaborate lesson plans.
(b) He organizes several get-to-know-you activities.
(c) He reads articles by famous writers.
(d) He practices introducing himself in front of the mirror while holding a briefcase.
2. What instrument does Sedaris' father choose for him?
3. One bi-product of new computer technology that Sedaris finds unfortunate is
(a) The family newsletter.
(b) The family tree.
(c) The internet.
4. Sedaris fears his father is not up to the task of caring for his new dog, Sophie, because
(a) He is older now, and she is young and strong.
(b) He is not as attentive to pets as he used to be.
(c) He is older now, and she is old and dying.
(d) She is violent and does not obey him.
5. The Japanese cartoon Fatty and Skinny makes Sedaris sad because
(a) Skinny is unable to meet Fatty's demands, and ends up friendless.
(b) Fatty always rejects Skinny in the end.
(c) Skinny always demands money from Fatty.
(d) Fatty is unable to meet Skinny's demands and loses his friendship.
6. Bonnie comes to enjoy New York when
(a) She visits the sites where no New Yorkers will visit.
(b) She visits the flea market with Sedaris and is pleasantly surprised by it.
(c) She takes Sedaris' suggestion to dress appropriately.
(d) She visits the Plaza at tea time and discovers the real New York.
7. What passion does Sedaris' father attempt to share with his children?
(a) His love of guitar.
(b) His love of North Carolina.
(c) His love of quartets.
(d) His love of jazz.
8. Sedaris confesses his desire to perform what songs before an audience?
(a) Pop songs.
(b) Jazz classics.
(c) Commercial jingles.
(d) Blues classics.
9. Sedaris is not bothered by the possible ingredients in a hot dog because
(a) He does not believe the rumors about them.
(b) He recognizes the hot dog as food.
(c) He only eats vegetarian hot dogs.
(d) He is used to exotic foods.
10. Richie had been in prison for
(a) Burning his sister's boyfriend to death.
(b) Burning his sister to death.
(c) Killing his younger brother.
(d) Refusing to pay taxes.
11. Sedaris refuses to order dessert because
(a) He is insulted by the waiter's suggestion that he is counting calories.
(b) It contains non-traditional ingredients like luncheon meat.
(c) He cannot pronounce it.
(d) It contains fattening creme fraiche.
12. Sedaris believed he was living art because
(a) He sold silk sceens of footprints.
(b) He allowed a friend to shoot him in the shoulder.
(c) He was finally off drugs and moving past performance art.
(d) He was on drugs and deluded by his own sense of self-importance.
13. Who or what threatens to divide Sedaris' class?
(a) An asthmatic who protected the smoking rule in class.
(b) The teenage freshmen students.
(c) Sedaris' Pillow Talk segment, where students discussed their personal lives.
(d) An older returning student who claimed he was wasting her time.
14. Sedaris resents his father's approach toward art because
(a) He knows his father's talent has not passed on to him.
(b) He wants to be like his father, but cannot be.
(c) It seems to come easily to his father, yet he does not invest in it.
(d) Art eludes both him and his father, but his father is viewed as an artist.
15. The title Sedaris tried to win for sun-bathing was
(a) Miss Sunburn.
(b) Miss Skin Cancer.
(c) Miss Sunscreen.
(d) Miss Emollient.
Short Answer Questions
1. The title The Youth In Asia applies to
2. Lou Sedaris busies himself
3. Sedaris enjoys Alisha's visits because
4. Why is Sedaris offered a job teaching a writing workshop?
5. Sedaris compares the typewriter's antiquity to
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)