|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The sign Sedaris would post on the Speech Therapist's door would read
(a) Future Sports Enthusiasts of America.
(b) Speech Therapy Lab.
(c) Future Homosexuals of America.
(d) Janitor's Closet.
2. How does Sedaris prepare to teach his workshop?
(a) He practices introducing himself in front of the mirror while holding a briefcase.
(b) He writes elaborate lesson plans.
(c) He reads articles by famous writers.
(d) He organizes several get-to-know-you activities.
3. One aspect of the food that disturbs Sedaris is
(a) That it is stacked vertically on his plate.
(b) That it is arranged to look like a face on his plate.
(c) That it is laid out in a horizontal line.
(d) That it is piled in an unrecognizable heap.
4. The title The Youth In Asia applies to
(a) Sedaris' experiences living with a pet in Japan.
(b) Sedaris' dogs, Fatty and Skinny.
(c) Euthanizing pets and the Japanese cartoon Fatty and Skinny.
(d) Euthanizing pets and adopting new ones.
5. Sedaris compares his father's most recent dog, Sophie, to
(a) A capricious young bride.
(b) An inexperienced substitute teacher.
(c) A substitute wife.
(d) A trophy wife.
6. When visiting home, Amy tortures her father by
(a) Pretending she refused to appear in the magazine article.
(b) Claiming that he is grossly overweight.
(c) Wearing a fat suit and pretending to be grossly overweight.
(d) Ignoring his questions about her personal life.
7. Ironically, the food at the restaurant is described as
(a) Home cooking.
(b) American Gothic.
(d) Traditional American.
8. The Japanese cartoon Fatty and Skinny makes Sedaris sad because
(a) Skinny is unable to meet Fatty's demands, and ends up friendless.
(b) Fatty is unable to meet Skinny's demands and loses his friendship.
(c) Skinny always demands money from Fatty.
(d) Fatty always rejects Skinny in the end.
9. What skill does Sedaris admire in his mother that eludes him?
(a) She can smoke an entire cigarette without taking it out of her mouth.
(b) She can explain how a radio works.
(c) She can tan the backs of her ears and her palms.
(d) She can solve his father's equations.
10. Why are the fishermen interested in Lou Sedaris' equation?
(a) They are interested in the number of grains of sand per acre.
(b) They want to know if he is interested in buying property.
(c) They want to know how much their property would have been worth today.
(d) They want to know why he is drawing in the sand.
11. Sedaris resents his father's approach toward art because
(a) He wants to be like his father, but cannot be.
(b) He knows his father's talent has not passed on to him.
(c) Art eludes both him and his father, but his father is viewed as an artist.
(d) It seems to come easily to his father, yet he does not invest in it.
12. One bi-product of new computer technology that Sedaris finds unfortunate is
(a) The family newsletter.
(b) The family tree.
(d) The internet.
13. Two extreme facets of Paul's personality are
(a) Studying and reading.
(b) Fighting and swearing.
(c) Eating candy and refusing to work.
(d) Drinking Mountain Dew and wearing make-up.
14. The title Sedaris tried to win for sun-bathing was
(a) Miss Sunburn.
(b) Miss Sunscreen.
(c) Miss Emollient.
(d) Miss Skin Cancer.
15. Sedaris questions
(a) His own inability to go to the bathroom comfortably in public
(b) His own need for cleanliness.
(c) His own inability to leave the toilet unflushed, thereby assuming the guilt.
(d) Others inability to feel shame.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lou Sedaris said his daughters would thank him for
2. Sedaris enjoys Alisha's visits because
3. By way of explanation, Amy Sedaris explains her "bruises" and "sores" by saying
4. Sedaris justifies viewing soap operas in class by
5. In the end, Sedaris' authority is undermined when
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)