|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sedaris' father asks him if he knows
(a) Why the fishermen are so tan.
(b) If he is aware of the dangers of sun-tanning.
(c) How many fish there are in the ocean.
(d) How many grains of sand there are in the world.
2. Sedaris fears his father is not up to the task of caring for his new dog, Sophie, because
(a) She is violent and does not obey him.
(b) He is not as attentive to pets as he used to be.
(c) He is older now, and she is old and dying.
(d) He is older now, and she is young and strong.
3. Who or what threatens to divide Sedaris' class?
(a) An older returning student who claimed he was wasting her time.
(b) Sedaris' Pillow Talk segment, where students discussed their personal lives.
(c) An asthmatic who protected the smoking rule in class.
(d) The teenage freshmen students.
4. Despite his experiences, Sedaris still finds the view of Manhattan and the fantasy of wealth
5. Sedaris enjoys Alisha's visits because
(a) She is independent and always goes out on her own.
(b) She is willing to do whatever anyone else wants to do.
(c) She has her own opinions on New York.
(d) She never brings guests.
6. Sedaris' friend Alisha describes most people as
(c) A handful.
7. In the end, Sedaris' authority is undermined when
(a) He refuses to answer a student's question about his salary.
(b) He admits that he has never been published.
(c) He allows a student to teach the class.
(d) He admits how much money he is paid to teach the class
8. Lou Sedaris once dreamed that computers would
(a) Eliminate the need to leave his home.
(b) Connect people to their jobs at all times.
(c) Eliminate the need for typewriters.
(d) Connect people all over the world.
9. Bonnie is most interested in
(a) Staying inside to avoid New Yorkers.
(b) Visiting tourist traps.
(c) Learning about local culture.
(d) Following Sedaris' agenda.
10. Sedaris questions
(a) Others inability to feel shame.
(b) His own need for cleanliness.
(c) His own inability to leave the toilet unflushed, thereby assuming the guilt.
(d) His own inability to go to the bathroom comfortably in public
11. Before Paul's personality fully emerged, his parents tried to interest him in
(a) Writing and painting.
(b) Math and science.
(c) Girls and dating.
(d) Music and sports.
12. Sedaris' first artistic success takes the form of
(a) A nest of human hair.
(b) Toe nail clippings.
(c) Two wooden crates filled with garbage.
(d) A frying pan full of toy soldiers.
13. After his gourmet meal, Sedaris elects to
(a) Eat a plate of nachos at the movies.
(b) Grab a burger at a fast-food place.
(c) Eat a huge bucket of popcorn at the movies.
(d) Grab a hot dog on the way to the movies.
14. Sedaris first compares his speech therapist to
(a) A government agent.
(b) The devil.
(c) A football player.
(d) A supermodel.
15. Sedaris discussed his speech therapy sessions
(a) With his sisters.
(b) Only with his mother.
(c) With other speech therapy students.
(d) Only with his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. By way of explanation, Amy Sedaris explains her "bruises" and "sores" by saying
2. One bi-product of new computer technology that Sedaris finds unfortunate is
3. What is Lou Sedaris excited about at the start of the essay?
4. Lou Sedaris said his daughters would thank him for
5. The scientific term Sedaris fears his father will use is
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)