|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. McTeague feel about Trina after he expresses his feelings about their money?
2. When Trina refuses Mr. McTeague's request in Chapter 19, how does he react?
3. What do Marcus and Mr. McTeague decide to do with no water in the middle of the desert?
4. What happens when Marcus turns to get water from his animal in the desert?
5. What does the story of Old Grannis and Miss Baker relationship offer in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Trina ask of Mr. McTeague before he goes out into the icy, cold rain that further feeds Mr. McTeague's anger?
2. What does Mr. McTeague do after he confronts and kills his wife?
3. What news does the "Other Dentist" deliver that change's Mrs. McTeague's view of what other people think about the couple's financial situation?
4. What happens to create Maria's dementia?
5. How does the McTeague's relationship deteriorate further in Chapter 18?
6. What action does Old Grannis take that makes him so unhappy?
7. In Chapter 20, what causes Mr. McTeague to take caution, while he alone in his cabin, and what is his reaction?
8. What big decision does Marcus make at the end of chapter 12?
9. What eventually causes Mr. McTeague to leave his new profitable line of work in chapter 21?
10. How does Mr. McTeague justify his abusive actions toward his wife in Chapters 15 & 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Maria's relationship with money throughout the story? How does she use her money? How does it effect her relationship with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
As Mr. McTeague's obsession for Trina grows, a darker side of his character is revealed. Compare and contrast each of the following characters' obsessions and describe how they play out during the course of the book: McTeague, Marcus, and Maria.
Essay Topic 3
When Marcus first realizes that Mr. McTeague is interested in Trina, he appears generous in "giving" Trina to Mr. McTeague. But Marcus seethes with envy throughout the book. Describe how the following characters reveal envy: Trina, Maria, Marcus, and Mr. McTeague.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)