|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Trina sleep after Mr. McTeague has left her?
2. How long after Trina's picnic are Maria and Zerkow married?
3. What is the historical significance of Mr. McTeague's new job in chapter 20?
4. What does Marcus decide at the end of Chapter 12?
5. While at his new job, Mr. McTeague peers into the darkness from his new room, who does he see coming?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Mrs. McTeague suspect is behind the City Hall notice and what was the person's motive?
2. What news does the "Other Dentist" deliver that change's Mrs. McTeague's view of what other people think about the couple's financial situation?
3. How does Trina's obsession with money contribute to her loss of love and relationship?
4. What events lead up to Mr. McTeague killing Trina?
5. What line of work does Mr. McTeague pursue in Chapter 21, with whom, and what transpires?
6. In Chapter 13, what does Mr. McTeague receive from City Hall and how does he react?
7. How does Mrs. McTeague show her emotional descent into becoming a miser?
8. What happens in the desert when Marcus confronts Mr. McTeague and how do the two solve the situation?
9. What action does Old Grannis take that makes him so unhappy?
10. How does the McTeague's relationship deteriorate further in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Zerkow is found dead, clutching some broken plates, it is apparent that he took his obsession too far. Describe how each character: Trina, Marcus and Maria takes their own obsession too far. This does not have to be money. Describe, in detail, how this affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
The McTeagues get along peacefully after their wedding. What causes the couples first major argument and how is it settled? What does Trina's reaction, after they have made up, reveal about her character?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. McTeague is surrounded by characters that perpetuate the theme of greed. Give three examples of characters that allow greed to overcome their lives and how greed leads to their demise.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)