|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 15, McTeague is fortunate to find a new job with what type of company?
2. After traveling through unyielding desert heat, encountering rattlesnakes and suffering through bouts of paranoia, whom does Mr. McTeague encounter?
3. How long after Trina's picnic are Maria and Zerkow married?
4. What do we learn in Chapter 16 about Trina's gruesome discovery?
5. How does Mr. McTeague's relationship with his wife change in chapter 16 after he expresses his feelings about their money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the McTeague's relationship deteriorate further in Chapter 18?
2. Who does Mrs. McTeague suspect is behind the City Hall notice and what was the person's motive?
3. What events lead up to Mr. McTeague killing Trina?
4. What action does Old Grannis take that makes him so unhappy?
5. What do Marcus and Mr. McTeague fight over as they stand in the desert heat?
6. In Chapter 13, what does Mr. McTeague receive from City Hall and how does he react?
7. How does Mrs. McTeague show her emotional descent into becoming a miser?
8. What news does the "Other Dentist" deliver that change's Mrs. McTeague's view of what other people think about the couple's financial situation?
9. What drives Zerkow to madness and why does he kill Maria?
10. What line of work does Mr. McTeague pursue in Chapter 21, with whom, and what transpires?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trina buys the gold tooth sign for Mr. McTeague at the beginning of their relationship. How does her generosity directly relate to her feeling of safety within the relationship? What is the reason for this generosity? How does her generosity contrast with the way she behaves in the rest of the book. Why?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 15, Maria foreshadows the coming violence in the McTeague's relationship. What does Maria say and how does Mrs. McTeague's disregard of Maria's advice lead to a turn in Mrs. McTeague's life? What are some other examples of foreshadowing in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Marcus never really tells Mr. McTeague the truth about his feelings for Trina. Choose two of the following characters and analyze how they do not communicate their true feelings with another. Maria, Trina, McTeague.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)