|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. McTeague tell Trina he is going as they sit in their new house?
2. After the sale of the McTeague's items, what is the only thing that remains in their old flat?
3. How does Mr. McTeague express his feelings to Trina about their money after the mishap during his job hunt?
4. What is an unfortunate side-effect of Maria's short-lived dementia?
5. What does Marcus decide at the end of Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events lead up to Mr. McTeague killing Trina?
2. What does Mr. McTeague do after he confronts and kills his wife?
3. How does the McTeague's relationship deteriorate further in Chapter 18?
4. What do Marcus and Mr. McTeague fight over as they stand in the desert heat?
5. Who comes to comfort Old Grannis and why?
6. Who does Mrs. McTeague suspect is behind the City Hall notice and what was the person's motive?
7. In Chapter 13, what does Mr. McTeague receive from City Hall and how does he react?
8. Trina expresses her emotions to Mr. McTeague, in Chapter 15, and the tables turn on her. How does Mr. McTeague react?
9. What happens in the desert when Marcus confronts Mr. McTeague and how do the two solve the situation?
10. What drives Zerkow to madness and why does he kill Maria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fact that Trina worries about what people will think is apparent from the start of the book. Give three examples of the theme of appearances versus reality and how it unfolds during the McTeague wedding.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. McTeague is surrounded by characters that perpetuate the theme of greed. Give three examples of characters that allow greed to overcome their lives and how greed leads to their demise.
Essay Topic 3
What is Maria's relationship with money throughout the story? How does she use her money? How does it effect her relationship with other characters?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)