|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Trina spent on the wedding?
2. What does Marcus say to Mr. McTeague, as they drink together in Chapter 8?
3. What is the name of Mr. McTeague's office?
4. What does Marcus suggest that Mr. McTeague do with his courtship with Trina?
5. How have Trina's feelings changed for Mr. McTeague since the beginning of their marriage during the beginning of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maria make money?
2. Is Trina comfortable with Mr. McTeague?
3. How does Mr. McTeague react upon meeting Trina?
4. In Chapter 8, what is Mr. McTeague's new obsession?
5. How does Trina react to Mr. McTeague upon his arrival at the station? Is this the reaction Mr. McTeague expected?
6. What is Selina's reaction to the wrestling match between Mr. McTeague and Marcus in chapter 11?
7. In Chapter 1, as Mr. McTeague builds his dental practice, does he struggle with money issues?
8. In what way does Mr. McTeague express his honest feelings about Trina with his friend, Marcus in chapter 4?
9. What does Trina finally agree to at the lottery party, that she has put off two times previously?
10. What does Mr. McTeague say about the champagne at his wedding and how does Trina react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Trina choose to say yes to Mr. McTeague's proposal at her lottery celebration? What does this say about the future of their relationship? Why does she wait until Mr. McTeague's third attempt before accepting his proposal?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, there is an ironic twist. What important role does irony play within the novel? Give three examples of the use of irony within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. McTeague is surrounded by characters that perpetuate the theme of greed. Give three examples of characters that allow greed to overcome their lives and how greed leads to their demise.
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)