|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What final event leads to Mr. McTeague's demise?
(a) Marcus is dead and Mr. McTeague is handcuffed to him, a certain death sentence.
(b) Marcus kills Mr. McTeague as the two fight over money.
(c) Marcus and Mr. McTeague have no water, a certain death sentence.
(d) Marcus is dead, and Mr. McTeague tries to run away through the desert with no water, a certain death sentence.
2. What does the story of Old Grannis and Miss Baker relationship offer in the book?
(a) A release from the ugliness of the rest of the novel.
(b) A historical perspecitive of older people.
(c) A silly, maudlin view of life in that era.
(d) A stark contrast between the sexes.
3. What does Marcus decide at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) To ask Augustine to go with him to San Francisco.
(b) To leave San Francisco.
(c) To buy a house San Francisco.
(d) To stay in San Francisco.
4. When Trina refuses Mr. McTeague's request in Chapter 19, how does he react?
(a) Mr. McTeague is angry and storms out of the room.
(b) Mr. McTeague cries and pleads for Trina's forgiveness.
(c) Mr. McTeague is angry and kills Trina.
(d) Mr. McTeague laughs hysterically and runs out of the room.
5. After Mr. McTeague leaves his new job, where does he end up?
(a) Driving a stage coach.
(b) Robbing tents with a couple of robbers.
(c) Prospecting with a couple of miners.
(d) Gambling with a couple of men.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 17, Old Grannis is sad about something he's done. What is it?
2. Where does Trina sleep after Mr. McTeague has left her?
3. What event immediately happens to Mr. McTeague after he and his wife move, that causes further tension in the McTeague household?
4. What mishap happens as Mr. McTeague follows Mrs. McTeague's instructions regarding his job?
5. How does Miss Baker and Old Grannis having tea change their relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. McTeague justify his abusive actions toward his wife in Chapters 15 & 16?
2. What does Mr. McTeague do after he confronts and kills his wife?
3. What line of work does Mr. McTeague pursue in Chapter 21, with whom, and what transpires?
4. How does the McTeague's relationship deteriorate further in Chapter 18?
5. What happens to create Maria's dementia?
6. When Trina finally decides to get her money, where does she remove the money from and how much does she remove?
7. What do Marcus and Mr. McTeague fight over as they stand in the desert heat?
8. How does Trina's obsession with money contribute to her loss of love and relationship?
9. In Chapter 20, what causes Mr. McTeague to take caution, while he alone in his cabin, and what is his reaction?
10. What news does the "Other Dentist" deliver that change's Mrs. McTeague's view of what other people think about the couple's financial situation?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)