|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mr. McTeague and his companions believe about their big find in the desert?
(a) They will have good luck.
(b) They will have bad luck.
(c) They will make a fortune in gold.
(d) They will be robbed.
2. Why is Old Grannis sad about his actions in chapter 17?
(a) He regrets his decision to move.
(b) He put a price on something he loves.
(c) He regrets never being able to listen to his phonograph.
(d) He will never being able to talk with Miss Baker again.
3. After the sale of the McTeague's items, what is the only thing that remains in their old flat?
(a) Trina's wedding bouquet.
(b) Trina's wedding dress.
(c) The gold tooth sign.
(d) The dental chair.
4. What does Mrs. McTeague discover upon her return home from searching for Mr. McTeague in Chapter 18?
(a) A note from Mr. McTeague.
(b) The lock on her trunk, the place where she has hidden her savings, broken and all the money gone.
(c) Her house has been broken into.
(d) The lock on her closet, the place where she has hidden her wedding dress and all her wedding photos, is broken.
5. What do the police discover that Zerkow is holding as they search for him?
(a) Pieces of gold plate.
(b) A marble statue.
(c) A burlap sack of gold coins.
(d) A porcelain vase.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mishap happens as Mr. McTeague follows Mrs. McTeague's instructions regarding his job?
2. Why do the McTeague's choose to move to someone else's home?
3. What is most devastating for Trina about her experience with Mr. McTeague?
4. How does Miss Baker and Old Grannis having tea change their relationship?
5. When Mr. McTeague first receives a notice from City Hall what does it say?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. McTeague justify his abusive actions toward his wife in Chapters 15 & 16?
2. What do Marcus and Mr. McTeague fight over as they stand in the desert heat?
3. What happens in the desert when Marcus confronts Mr. McTeague and how do the two solve the situation?
4. What big decision does Marcus make at the end of chapter 12?
5. What action does Old Grannis take that makes him so unhappy?
6. What does Mr. McTeague do after he confronts and kills his wife?
7. How does Mrs. McTeague show her emotional descent into becoming a miser?
8. Trina expresses her emotions to Mr. McTeague, in Chapter 15, and the tables turn on her. How does Mr. McTeague react?
9. What drives Zerkow to madness and why does he kill Maria?
10. How does the McTeague's relationship deteriorate further in Chapter 18?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)