|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mr. McTeague first receives a notice from City Hall what does it say?
(a) He is not permitted to continue his practice.
(b) He will win an ethical business award.
(c) He and his wife must pay taxes on the lottery winnings.
(d) He cannot live and work in the same building.
2. What is the state of Maria's baby's health when it is born?
(c) Fused hands and feet.
(d) It has breathing problems.
3. In Chapter 19, Trina still has five thousand dollars, but where is the money?
(a) Still invested in her uncle's toy shop.
(b) Under her mattress.
(c) In the bank.
(d) In her parent's house for safekeeping.
4. While at his new job, Mr. McTeague peers into the darkness from his new room, who does he see coming?
(b) Mr. McTeague's new boss.
(c) The sheriff.
(d) Mrs. McTeague's ghost.
5. After their water supply is destroyed, what do Marcus and Mr. McTeague do while stranded in the desert?
(a) They argue over the spilled water.
(b) They head back toward home and resolve their differences.
(c) They argue about the heat.
(d) They argue over money.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 15, McTeague is fortunate to find a new job with what type of company?
(a) A company that manufactures dental implements.
(b) A company that manufactures car parts.
(c) A company that exports furniture.
(d) A company that makes toys.
7. What happens when Marcus turns to get water from his animal in the desert?
(a) It screeches loudly.
(b) It bites Mr. McTeague
(c) It runs away.
(d) It turns and bucks at Marcus.
8. Upon the second notice from City Hall, what does Trina suggest that Mr. McTeague do rather than dip into her lottery winnings?
(a) Find something else to do.
(b) Become a plumber.
(c) Leave town immediately.
(d) Continue to work as a dentist.
9. What reason does Mr. McTeague's notice from City Hall give for it's message?
(a) Trina submitted an application for her husband to receive an ethical business award.
(b) Trina forgot to pay the taxes on the lottery winnings.
(c) Mr. McTeague's business has been targeted by the authorities because he works and lives in the same building.
(d) Mr. McTeague is no longer allowed to practice because he lacks a formal education.
10. What mishap happens as Mr. McTeague follows Mrs. McTeague's instructions regarding his job?
(a) His cab is in an accident.
(b) He is caught in a downpour of icy rain.
(c) he falls asleep in his chair.
(d) He trips over the rug and hits his head on his way to his chair.
11. What do Mr. McTeague and his new companions in Chapter 21 find as they wander through the desert?
(a) An abandoned house.
(b) A spot full of silver.
(c) A spot full of gold.
(d) A dead body.
12. What does Mr. McTeague do at the end of Chapter 20, when he sees someone coming through the darkness toward his room?
(a) He fights for his life.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He shoots blindly into the darkess.
(d) He pleads for mercy.
13. When Mr. McTeague encounters someone in the desert, what is the first question asked of them?
(a) Where the silver is.
(b) Where the five thousand dollars is.
(c) Where the gold is.
(d) Where the ten thousand dollars is.
14. How does Miss Baker and Old Grannis having tea change their relationship?
(a) The two sit together, for the first time, with no wall between them.
(b) The two move around the room restlessly.
(c) Miss Baker is comfortable, but Old Grannis is uncomfortable.
(d) The two immediately separate and go back to their flats.
15. At first, what does Trina instruct Mr. McTeague to do about the notice from City Hall?
(a) Pack up and leave town for a week.
(b) Heed the notice's warning.
(c) Pack up and leave town for good.
(d) Ignore the notice and continue practicing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. McTeague express his feelings to Trina about their money after the mishap during his job hunt?
2. What disease is Mrs. McTeague diagnosed?
3. What animal does Marcus bring with him to the desert?
4. What does Marcus decide at the end of Chapter 12?
5. What does the story of Old Grannis and Miss Baker relationship offer in the book?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)