|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. McTeague discover upon her return home from searching for Mr. McTeague in Chapter 18?
(a) A note from Mr. McTeague.
(b) Her house has been broken into.
(c) The lock on her trunk, the place where she has hidden her savings, broken and all the money gone.
(d) The lock on her closet, the place where she has hidden her wedding dress and all her wedding photos, is broken.
2. What is most devastating for Trina about her experience with Mr. McTeague?
(a) Mr. McTeague took with him all of her savings.
(b) What the neighbors might think.
(c) Mr. McTeague still has no job.
(d) Mr. McTeague's leaving.
3. What does Mr. McTeague do at the end of Chapter 20, when he sees someone coming through the darkness toward his room?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He shoots blindly into the darkess.
(c) He fights for his life.
(d) He pleads for mercy.
4. What mishap happens as Mr. McTeague follows Mrs. McTeague's instructions regarding his job?
(a) He is caught in a downpour of icy rain.
(b) he falls asleep in his chair.
(c) His cab is in an accident.
(d) He trips over the rug and hits his head on his way to his chair.
5. What does Marcus decide at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) To leave San Francisco.
(b) To buy a house San Francisco.
(c) To ask Augustine to go with him to San Francisco.
(d) To stay in San Francisco.
6. What is an unfortunate side-effect of Maria's short-lived dementia?
(a) She must be hospitalized.
(b) She goes insane.
(c) She cannot remember the baby's name.
(d) She has no recollection of the story she has recounted dozens of times.
7. How does Mr. McTeague feel about Trina after he expresses his feelings about their money?
(a) He now loves Trina, more than ever.
(b) He now loves in another woman instead of Trina.
(c) He now loathes Trina.
(d) He now ignores Trina.
8. As the McTeague's pack up to move, what are five ethings Mr. McTeague refuses to part with?
(a) A desk, his stone collection, the pet rat, its cage, and the concertina.
(b) A steel engraving, a stone pug dog, the canary, its cage, and his concertina.
(c) A drill, his mother's painting, the pet mouse, its cage, and the Victrola.
(d) A wood engraving, a stone calico cat, tje parrot, its cage, and an easy chair.
9. At the beginning of Chapter 17, Old Grannis is sad about something he's done. What is it?
(a) He has sold his favorite easy chair.
(b) He has sold his favorite phonograph.
(c) He sold his binding apparatus.
(d) He has decided to move.
10. What shift does Mr. McTeague choose in his new job?
(a) The day shift.
(b) The afternoon shift.
(c) The night shift.
(d) The evening shift.
11. When Trina refuses Mr. McTeague's request in Chapter 19, how does he react?
(a) Mr. McTeague is angry and storms out of the room.
(b) Mr. McTeague is angry and kills Trina.
(c) Mr. McTeague cries and pleads for Trina's forgiveness.
(d) Mr. McTeague laughs hysterically and runs out of the room.
12. Why is Old Grannis sad about his actions in chapter 17?
(a) He regrets his decision to move.
(b) He will never being able to talk with Miss Baker again.
(c) He put a price on something he loves.
(d) He regrets never being able to listen to his phonograph.
13. As the McTeagues pack up to move, what personal item does the "Other Dentist" make an offer for?
(a) The reception desk.
(b) The gold tooth sign.
(c) The dental chair.
(d) The steel engraving.
14. Why do the McTeague's choose to move to someone else's home?
(a) To save money.
(b) To redo the house.
(c) To help Trina's parents.
(d) To shorten McTeague's commute.
15. What is the immediate course of action taken by the McTeagues after receipt of the second notice from City Hall?
(a) They immediately pay the taxes owed.
(b) They move to Nevada.
(c) They hire someone to protect them.
(d) They move into a one-room unit in the flat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. McTeague's relationship with his wife change in chapter 16 after he expresses his feelings about their money?
2. What do Marcus and Mr. McTeague decide to do with no water in the middle of the desert?
3. While at his new job, Mr. McTeague peers into the darkness from his new room, who does he see coming?
4. In Chapter 21, what is Mr. McTeague's state of mind?
5. How much of Trina's lottery winnings is spent on solving the McTeague's housing issues?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)