|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the culprit of the crime which occurs in Maria and Zerkow's apartment?
(b) A robber.
(d) Mr. McTeague.
2. Under what name does Mr. McTeague work at his new job?
3. After the sale of the McTeague's items, what is the only thing that remains in their old flat?
(a) Trina's wedding bouquet.
(b) The gold tooth sign.
(c) The dental chair.
(d) Trina's wedding dress.
4. After Mr. McTeague's departure, what is Trina doing for money?
(a) Trina is a librarian.
(b) Trina is a begging for money on the street.
(c) Trina is a kindergarten teacher.
(d) Trina is a selling junk for money.
5. What is the state of Maria's baby's health when it is born?
(b) It has breathing problems.
(d) Fused hands and feet.
6. After their water supply is destroyed, what do Marcus and Mr. McTeague do while stranded in the desert?
(a) They argue over the spilled water.
(b) They argue over money.
(c) They argue about the heat.
(d) They head back toward home and resolve their differences.
7. What prompts this sudden thrust of courage from Miss Baker to offer Old Grannis tea?
(a) She hears of Mr. McTeague's actions toward his wife.
(b) She is convinced that Old Grannis has information that she needs.
(c) She is compelled by the news about Maria.
(d) She does not know.
8. What does Mrs. McTeague discover upon her return home from searching for Mr. McTeague in Chapter 18?
(a) A note from Mr. McTeague.
(b) The lock on her closet, the place where she has hidden her wedding dress and all her wedding photos, is broken.
(c) Her house has been broken into.
(d) The lock on her trunk, the place where she has hidden her savings, broken and all the money gone.
9. Upon the second notice from City Hall, what does Trina suggest that Mr. McTeague do rather than dip into her lottery winnings?
(a) Leave town immediately.
(b) Continue to work as a dentist.
(c) Become a plumber.
(d) Find something else to do.
10. In Chapter 21, what is Mr. McTeague's state of mind?
11. At first, what does Trina instruct Mr. McTeague to do about the notice from City Hall?
(a) Ignore the notice and continue practicing.
(b) Pack up and leave town for good.
(c) Pack up and leave town for a week.
(d) Heed the notice's warning.
12. What does Maria do after her baby is born?
(a) Maria knits baby clothes as a side job.
(b) Maria falls into dementia.
(c) Maria gets another job.
(d) Maria falls into gambling, once again.
13. What does Marcus decide at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) To ask Augustine to go with him to San Francisco.
(b) To buy a house San Francisco.
(c) To leave San Francisco.
(d) To stay in San Francisco.
14. In Chapter 19, Trina still has five thousand dollars, but where is the money?
(a) In the bank.
(b) Still invested in her uncle's toy shop.
(c) Under her mattress.
(d) In her parent's house for safekeeping.
15. How does Old Grannis react to Miss Baker's offer of tea?
(a) Old Grannis cries harder.
(b) Old Grannis walks out of the room.
(c) Old Grannis begins to laugh hysterically.
(d) Old Grannis accepts the tea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the immediate course of action taken by the McTeagues after receipt of the second notice from City Hall?
2. What shift does Mr. McTeague choose in his new job?
3. What is the historical significance of Mr. McTeague's new job in chapter 20?
4. When Mr. McTeague does return in Chapter 19, what does he demand of Trina?
5. What final event leads to Mr. McTeague's demise?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)