|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do we learn in Chapter 16 about Trina's gruesome discovery?
(a) Maria has been murdered.
(b) Maria's child has had an accident.
(c) Zerkow has been murdered.
(d) Maria has killed herself.
2. How long after Trina's picnic are Maria and Zerkow married?
(a) One day.
(b) One year.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
3. As the McTeague's pack up to move, what are five ethings Mr. McTeague refuses to part with?
(a) A desk, his stone collection, the pet rat, its cage, and the concertina.
(b) A drill, his mother's painting, the pet mouse, its cage, and the Victrola.
(c) A steel engraving, a stone pug dog, the canary, its cage, and his concertina.
(d) A wood engraving, a stone calico cat, tje parrot, its cage, and an easy chair.
4. In Chapter 21, what is Mr. McTeague's state of mind?
5. Why do the McTeague's choose to move to someone else's home?
(a) To help Trina's parents.
(b) To redo the house.
(c) To shorten McTeague's commute.
(d) To save money.
6. How does Mr. McTeague's relationship with his wife change in chapter 16 after he expresses his feelings about their money?
(a) He becomes more and more abusive.
(b) He becomes more and more loving.
(c) He becomes less and less abusive.
(d) He becomes more and more emotionally distant.
7. After Mr. McTeague leaves his new job, where does he end up?
(a) Gambling with a couple of men.
(b) Prospecting with a couple of miners.
(c) Driving a stage coach.
(d) Robbing tents with a couple of robbers.
8. What does Mr. McTeague do at the end of Chapter 20, when he sees someone coming through the darkness toward his room?
(a) He pleads for mercy.
(b) He fights for his life.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He shoots blindly into the darkess.
9. How does Mr. McTeague express his feelings to Trina about their money after the mishap during his job hunt?
(a) He tells Trina he is angry with her.
(b) He says he will no longer tolerate Trina hoarding of their money.
(c) He says he is angry with Trina and leaves their flat for good.
(d) He raises his fist and makes a motion to strike her.
10. After Mr. McTeague's departure, what is Trina doing for money?
(a) Trina is a begging for money on the street.
(b) Trina is a kindergarten teacher.
(c) Trina is a librarian.
(d) Trina is a selling junk for money.
11. What mishap happens as Mr. McTeague follows Mrs. McTeague's instructions regarding his job?
(a) He is caught in a downpour of icy rain.
(b) His cab is in an accident.
(c) He trips over the rug and hits his head on his way to his chair.
(d) he falls asleep in his chair.
12. In Chapter 19, Trina still has five thousand dollars, but where is the money?
(a) In the bank.
(b) Under her mattress.
(c) Still invested in her uncle's toy shop.
(d) In her parent's house for safekeeping.
13. What is the immediate course of action taken by the McTeagues after receipt of the second notice from City Hall?
(a) They immediately pay the taxes owed.
(b) They move into a one-room unit in the flat.
(c) They move to Nevada.
(d) They hire someone to protect them.
14. How does Old Grannis react to Miss Baker's offer of tea?
(a) Old Grannis cries harder.
(b) Old Grannis walks out of the room.
(c) Old Grannis accepts the tea.
(d) Old Grannis begins to laugh hysterically.
15. What prompts this sudden thrust of courage from Miss Baker to offer Old Grannis tea?
(a) She does not know.
(b) She hears of Mr. McTeague's actions toward his wife.
(c) She is convinced that Old Grannis has information that she needs.
(d) She is compelled by the news about Maria.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon the second notice from City Hall, what does Trina suggest that Mr. McTeague do rather than dip into her lottery winnings?
2. Upon entering Maria's apartment to talk, what gruesome discovery does Trina make?
3. Under what name does Mr. McTeague work at his new job?
4. What is the state of Maria's baby's health when it is born?
5. What do Marcus and Mr. McTeague decide to do with no water in the middle of the desert?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)