|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of Trina's lottery winnings is spent on solving the McTeague's housing issues?
(a) None of it.
(b) All of it.
(c) 10 percent of it.
(d) 5 percent of it.
2. What does Mr. McTeague do at the end of Chapter 20, when he sees someone coming through the darkness toward his room?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He shoots blindly into the darkess.
(c) He fights for his life.
(d) He pleads for mercy.
3. What does Trina tell Mr. McTeague to do after something happens at his job in Chapter 15?
(a) She sends him out in the cold rain to get another job.
(b) She gives him money to go buy groceries.
(c) She tells him to sit down and she will make him a drink.
(d) She makes him tell the neighbors that he has been fired.
4. After their water supply is destroyed, what do Marcus and Mr. McTeague do while stranded in the desert?
(a) They argue about the heat.
(b) They argue over the spilled water.
(c) They argue over money.
(d) They head back toward home and resolve their differences.
5. When Mr. McTeague first receives a notice from City Hall what does it say?
(a) He will win an ethical business award.
(b) He cannot live and work in the same building.
(c) He is not permitted to continue his practice.
(d) He and his wife must pay taxes on the lottery winnings.
6. How does Miss Baker and Old Grannis having tea change their relationship?
(a) The two move around the room restlessly.
(b) Miss Baker is comfortable, but Old Grannis is uncomfortable.
(c) The two sit together, for the first time, with no wall between them.
(d) The two immediately separate and go back to their flats.
7. After Mr. McTeague leaves his new job, where does he end up?
(a) Prospecting with a couple of miners.
(b) Robbing tents with a couple of robbers.
(c) Driving a stage coach.
(d) Gambling with a couple of men.
8. What mishap happens as Mr. McTeague follows Mrs. McTeague's instructions regarding his job?
(a) His cab is in an accident.
(b) He trips over the rug and hits his head on his way to his chair.
(c) He is caught in a downpour of icy rain.
(d) he falls asleep in his chair.
9. Upon the second notice from City Hall, what does Trina suggest that Mr. McTeague do rather than dip into her lottery winnings?
(a) Find something else to do.
(b) Become a plumber.
(c) Continue to work as a dentist.
(d) Leave town immediately.
10. What animal does Marcus bring with him to the desert?
(a) A horse.
(b) A camel.
(c) A mule.
(d) A pony.
11. At the beginning of Chapter 17, Old Grannis is sad about something he's done. What is it?
(a) He has sold his favorite phonograph.
(b) He has sold his favorite easy chair.
(c) He sold his binding apparatus.
(d) He has decided to move.
12. What is an unfortunate side-effect of Maria's short-lived dementia?
(a) She cannot remember the baby's name.
(b) She goes insane.
(c) She must be hospitalized.
(d) She has no recollection of the story she has recounted dozens of times.
13. How does Old Grannis react to Miss Baker's offer of tea?
(a) Old Grannis cries harder.
(b) Old Grannis begins to laugh hysterically.
(c) Old Grannis walks out of the room.
(d) Old Grannis accepts the tea.
14. When Trina refuses Mr. McTeague's request in Chapter 19, how does he react?
(a) Mr. McTeague laughs hysterically and runs out of the room.
(b) Mr. McTeague is angry and kills Trina.
(c) Mr. McTeague is angry and storms out of the room.
(d) Mr. McTeague cries and pleads for Trina's forgiveness.
15. Why do the McTeague's choose to move to someone else's home?
(a) To help Trina's parents.
(b) To redo the house.
(c) To shorten McTeague's commute.
(d) To save money.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 21, what is Mr. McTeague's state of mind?
2. When Mr. McTeague encounters someone in the desert, what is the first question asked of them?
3. What do Marcus and Mr. McTeague decide to do with no water in the middle of the desert?
4. What does Maria do after her baby is born?
5. What is Zerkow's reaction to Maria's dementia?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)