|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. McTeague feel about the "Other Dentist?"
(a) He befriends the "Other Dentist."
(b) He envies the "Other Dentist."
(c) He decides to partner with the "Other Dentist."
(d) He challenges the "Other Dentist."
2. What does Mr. McTeague enjoy during his Sunday ritual?
(a) A drink and the music of his Victrola.
(b) A drink and the music of his concertina.
(c) Reading and the music of his Victrola.
(d) Reading and the music of his concertina.
3. What is Marcus' suggestion for Trina and Mr. McTeague after the delivery of the special news?
(a) The couple should take a boat to Europe.
(b) Trina should use the money to get married.
(c) The couple should put the money in savings.
(d) Trina should marry him instead.
4. What happens at Frenna's during Marcus' announcement?
(a) Marcus accidentally trips on Mr. McTeague's chair and falls, narrowly missing Mr. McTeague.
(b) Marcus overturns Mr. McTeague's plate and shoots at Mr. McTeague, narrowly missing him.
(c) Mr. McTeague trips over a bar stool and falls, narrowly missing Marcus.
(d) Marcus accidentally shatters Mr. McTeague's pipe and throws a knife at Mr. McTeague, narrowly missing him.
5. What is the amount of Trina's winnings?
(a) Five hundred dollars.
(b) One thousand dollars.
(c) Five thousand dollars.
(d) Ten thousand dollars.
6. What does old Grannis accidentally do in Chapter 11?
(a) He accidentally knocks Miss Baker down the stairs.
(b) He mistakenly takes Miss Baker's mail.
(c) He mistakenly hurts Miss Baker's cat.
(d) He accidentally knocks Miss Baker's grocery basket down the stairs.
7. Initially, how does Mr. McTeague feel about Trina?
(a) He thinks about Trina all the time and his feelings of love begin to grow.
(b) He hardly thinks about Trina at all.
(c) He thinks about Trina all the time and his feelings of dislike begin to grow.
(d) He thinks about Trina occasionally.
8. Who delivers the news to Trina about Maria and Zerkow's impending marriage?
(c) Miss Baker.
9. How does Trina feel while Mr. McTeague's is working on her tooth?
(a) She feels fearful.
(b) She winces in pain.
(c) She feels excited.
(d) She feels relaxed.
10. As Mr. McTeague returns home after Frenna's , what does he find in the parcel outside his door?
(a) A gilded tooth sign for his Parlours.
(b) A family portrait of the Sieppe family.
(c) A new pipe.
(d) A new dental light.
11. What happens when Mr. McTeague walks along in the procession to the picnic at Schuetzen Park?
(a) Trina asks Mr. McTeague to be kind to her.
(b) Trina asks Mr. McTeague to go steady with her.
(c) Trina strikes up a conversation with Mr. McTeague.
(d) Trina begins to dance and sing as she walks with Mr. McTeague.
12. As Mr. McTeague's professional work on Trina comes to an end, how does their relationship change?
(a) Trina chooses Marcus over Mr. McTeague.
(b) Mr. McTeague and Trina begin to make amends.
(c) Trina opens up to Mr. McTeague and shares her feelings.
(d) Mr. McTeague and Trina go their separate ways.
13. As Mr. McTeague's feelings grow for Trina in Chapter 3, how does he react to Marcus?
(a) Mr. McTeague's feelings toward Marcus remain unchanged.
(b) Mr. McTeague becomes increasingly happy with Marcus.
(c) Mr. McTeague creates a dentistry partnership with Marcus.
(d) Mr. McTeague becomes increasingly jealous of Marcus.
14. What does Mr. McTeague conclude about his relationship with Trina in Chapter 4?
(a) He wants to "give" Trina back to Marcus.
(b) He resolves to marry Trina.
(c) He begins to see Trina's shortcomings.
(d) He begins to realize that he is not good enough for Trina.
15. Zerkow's insatiable hunger for stories about wealth is a symbol of what?
(a) His honesty and forthrightness.
(b) His need to possess as much wealth as possible.
(c) His warm and loving nature.
(d) His fear of death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as Mr. McTeague and Trina begin to see more of each other in Chapter 5?
2. The picnic at Schuetzen Park results in a turning point of Mr. McTeague's relationship with whom?
3. What does Mr. McTeague do in his childhood?
4. What happens during the picnic as Mr. McTeague makes a show of his physical strength?
5. In Chapter 6, how does Trina react once her mother asks her if she loves Mr. McTeague?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)