|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing that Helga says to Gallimard?
2. What does Toulon ask Gallimard to do for him in France?
3. How has life in the West been for Gallimard?
4. Who do the Vietnamese generals plan on assassinating?
5. What idea of Song's does Gallimard repeat to Toulon?
Essay Topic 1
Nearing the end of Act 2, Helga and Gallimard have an altercation involving the changing face of the country. Gallimard seems unable to find happiness in his life in France, and Helga seems lost as well, unable to understand the political upheaval that has followed them from the Eastern world.
1. How was life different for Gallimard and Helga during their time in China? How has France changed in the time they were away? How are the two countries similar?
2. How does Gallimard react to Helga's opinion of their two homes? What does Gallimard want that Helga cannot provide?
3. How does this interaction reflect the larger picture of international changes?
Essay Topic 2
Renee is the young and beautiful student that Gallimard carries on an "extra extramarital affair" with. She differs greatly from every other female character in the play. Write an essay on the relationship Gallimard has with Renee and her importance within the structure of his story.
1. How is Renee characterized during her first meeting with Gallimard? How comfortable is she with her personality and her sexuality?
2. What is Gallimard's reason for carrying on this affair? How does he feel about Renee?
3. Why do you believe Hwang chose for this character to have the same first name as Gallimard?
Essay Topic 3
Much of the characters' are driven by the culture they came from. There is a distinct role that the social backdrop plays in the storyline.
1. Describe the nature of the cultures that surrounds Hwang's story. Most noticeably, the Chinese and French influences. Is there any other cultures that have a personality within the plot? What are some of the characteristics we associate with each culture and how does Hwang play on them?
2. Which characters fit into their cultural stereotype? How has their culture played a part in building their personality? How does it play a part in their motives?
This section contains 2,276 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)