|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gallimard feel about his inability to produce a child?
2. What does Gallimard start to call Song after their affair starts?
3. What does Gallimard want after Song announces she is pregnant?
4. What is Song's response when Chin wants to know how Song retains all the information?
5. In the end, what was a reason for Gallimard's refusal to go to the doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the theme of parenthood in the play.
1. Why does Helga want to have a baby? Why does she want Gallimard to see a doctor? Why is there conflict over this?
2. Does Gallimard want to be a father? Why or why not?
3. What are Song's motives for "mothering" Gallimard's child? How does introducing a baby change the stakes for Gallimard and Song?
Essay Topic 2
Song creates an involved web of lies to trap Gallimard. Song portrays little regard for the lives of others.
1. What are Song's major characteristics? How do those characteristics develop and change as the plot goes on?
2. What are some of the tactics Song uses to get what she wants? How do her needs change?
3. What are Song's motives behind her entrapment of Gallimard? Personal? Political? Do her ethics ever conflict with her goals?
Essay Topic 3
During Act 1, the opera of Madame Butterfly serves as a structure to the first act.
1. How does each character reflect the part he/she plays? How are they different?
2. What is important about the story of Madame Butterfly in conjunction with the story of the play?
3. How does it foreshadow events in the play?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)