Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing that Helga says to Gallimard?
2. What does Toulon ask Gallimard to do for him in France?
3. How has life in the West been for Gallimard?
4. Who do the Vietnamese generals plan on assassinating?
5. What idea of Song's does Gallimard repeat to Toulon?
Essay Topic 1
The character of Comrade Chin represents the Communist politics of China. She enforces the law and the needs of her country, which causes many of the plot elements in M. Butterfly.
1. How does Comrade Chin represent the politics of the time period? How does she represent the changing values of the country?
2. How does Chin differ from the fantasy that Song puts forth regarding the ideal woman? What does she think of Song's role in her society? What does she think of Song's tactics? How does she react to Song's opinion on women?
3. Why does Chin have Song beaten? How do Chin's actions affect the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Nearing the end of Act 2, Helga and Gallimard have an altercation involving the changing face of the country. Gallimard seems unable to find happiness in his life in France, and Helga seems lost as well, unable to understand the political upheaval that has followed them from the Eastern world.
1. How was life different for Gallimard and Helga during their time in China? How has France changed in the time they were away? How are the two countries similar?
2. How does Gallimard react to Helga's opinion of their two homes? What does Gallimard want that Helga cannot provide?
3. How does this interaction reflect the larger picture of international changes?
Essay Topic 3
Song creates an involved web of lies to trap Gallimard. Song portrays little regard for the lives of others.
1. What are Song's major characteristics? How do those characteristics develop and change as the plot goes on?
2. What are some of the tactics Song uses to get what she wants? How do her needs change?
3. What are Song's motives behind her entrapment of Gallimard? Personal? Political? Do her ethics ever conflict with her goals?
This section contains 2,276 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)