|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toulon find irritating?
2. How does Song define the Chinese?
3. What kind of baby does Song want to present to Gallimard?
4. What is one of the things about Song that Gallimard considers to be rare?
5. What is one reason Song gives for not wanting to marry Gallimard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nearing the end of Act 2, Helga and Gallimard have an altercation involving the changing face of the country. Gallimard seems unable to find happiness in his life in France, and Helga seems lost as well, unable to understand the political upheaval that has followed them from the Eastern world.
1. How was life different for Gallimard and Helga during their time in China? How has France changed in the time they were away? How are the two countries similar?
2. How does Gallimard react to Helga's opinion of their two homes? What does Gallimard want that Helga cannot provide?
3. How does this interaction reflect the larger picture of international changes?
Essay Topic 2
Gallimard's sexuality plays a major role in the plot of the play.
1. What seems to be Gallimard's sexual relationship with his wife? How does it differ from what he shares with Song? How is it different from his sexual encounters with Renee? How about Isabelle?
2. What is the importance of the men's magazine model who strips for Gallimard in his fantasy?
3. Marc is conjured up to encourage Gallimard's lustful nature. Although their characters are different, how are their wants similar? Why does Gallimard feel the need to imagine these interactions with his old school friend?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the Butterfly in M. Butterfly? Write an essay backing your argument.
1. At the beginning of the play, who does Gallimard cast as Butterfly? What is his reasoning for doing so?
2. Who does Gallimard claim is the Butterfly at the conclusion of the story? Describe how and why the situation has changed during the progression of the story.
3. Describe Hwang's use of symbolism during Gallimard donning of the Butterfly costume at the play's conclusion.
4. Do you feel Hwang's choices were strong? How would you choose to end the play?
This section contains 2,255 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)