|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of baby does Song want to present to Gallimard?
2. What does Gallimard feel about his inability to produce a child?
3. Why does Song believe women's roles in opera are played by men?
4. What does Song need from Comrade Chin?
5. How does Toulon feel about Gallimard's infidelity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gallimard serves as the narrator throughout the play. The fantasies and flashbacks are his. Write a characterization of Gallimard and how he fits in with the structure of the play.
1. What was Gallimard's life like growing up? How did his days as a youth help to create the man he is now?
2. Describe Gallimard's relationship with women. Is Gallimard an attractive man? How does his physical appearance reflect his place in society? How does he talk to women? What is his sex drive like?
3. Descibe Gallimard's relationship with his wife. Why did he marry her? What is his opinion of love? How does that affect his interactions with other characters and his actions in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Much of the characters' are driven by the culture they came from. There is a distinct role that the social backdrop plays in the storyline.
1. Describe the nature of the cultures that surrounds Hwang's story. Most noticeably, the Chinese and French influences. Is there any other cultures that have a personality within the plot? What are some of the characteristics we associate with each culture and how does Hwang play on them?
2. Which characters fit into their cultural stereotype? How has their culture played a part in building their personality? How does it play a part in their motives?
Essay Topic 3
During Act 1, the opera of Madame Butterfly serves as a structure to the first act.
1. How does each character reflect the part he/she plays? How are they different?
2. What is important about the story of Madame Butterfly in conjunction with the story of the play?
3. How does it foreshadow events in the play?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)