Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing that Helga says to Gallimard?
2. What does Toulon ask Gallimard to do for him in France?
3. How has life in the West been for Gallimard?
4. Who do the Vietnamese generals plan on assassinating?
5. What idea of Song's does Gallimard repeat to Toulon?
Essay Topic 1
Gallimard serves as the narrator throughout the play. The fantasies and flashbacks are his. Write a characterization of Gallimard and how he fits in with the structure of the play.
1. What was Gallimard's life like growing up? How did his days as a youth help to create the man he is now?
2. Describe Gallimard's relationship with women. Is Gallimard an attractive man? How does his physical appearance reflect his place in society? How does he talk to women? What is his sex drive like?
3. Descibe Gallimard's relationship with his wife. Why did he marry her? What is his opinion of love? How does that affect his interactions with other characters and his actions in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Gallimard claims he is pure imagination. Write an essay on what Hwang meant to portray with this plot development.
1. Do you believe Gallimard knew Song was a man? Cite examples from the story that back your argument.
2. What changes when Gallimard finally sees Song naked? How does he treat Song? How does his opinion on Song changed? According to Gallimard, what was the mistake that Song made?
3. How does Song react to Gallimard's attitude toward him?
4. How does the fantasy world different from the reality of Gallimard's situation? Which does he choose? Why?
5. What does Gallimard mean when he is "pure imagination?"
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the theme of parenthood in the play.
1. Why does Helga want to have a baby? Why does she want Gallimard to see a doctor? Why is there conflict over this?
2. Does Gallimard want to be a father? Why or why not?
3. What are Song's motives for "mothering" Gallimard's child? How does introducing a baby change the stakes for Gallimard and Song?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)