Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing that Helga says to Gallimard?
2. What does Toulon ask Gallimard to do for him in France?
3. How has life in the West been for Gallimard?
4. Who do the Vietnamese generals plan on assassinating?
5. What idea of Song's does Gallimard repeat to Toulon?
At the conclusion of Act 2, Song asks the audience to take a break while he makes his physical change from woman to man. He fully removes his makeup, wig and kimono to change into his male ensemble. Song's transformation is not limited to the physical. Even though we as an audience knew Song was a man for several scenes, the full reveal has dramatic implications.
1. Describe in detail the transformation Song makes physically, emotionally and characteristically. How does he talk to people differently? How does he treat Gallimard in Act 3 as opposed to Acts 1 and 2?
2. What is the symbolism of taking an intermission to watch song take off his makeup and change?
3. Why do you believe Hwang chose this moment in the play to fully reveal Song as a man? How would the play have changed if we had seen him as a man earlier? What would be the dramatic implications of withholding the knowledge of Song's true sex until this moment?
Gallimard's sexuality plays a major role in the plot of the play.
1. What seems to be Gallimard's sexual relationship with his wife? How does it differ from what he shares with Song? How is it different from his sexual encounters with Renee? How about Isabelle?
2. What is the importance of the men's magazine model who strips for Gallimard in his fantasy?
3. Marc is conjured up to encourage Gallimard's lustful nature. Although their characters are different, how are their wants similar? Why does Gallimard feel the need to imagine these interactions with his old school friend?
During Act 1, the opera of Madame Butterfly serves as a structure to the first act.
1. How does each character reflect the part he/she plays? How are they different?
2. What is important about the story of Madame Butterfly in conjunction with the story of the play?
3. How does it foreshadow events in the play?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)