|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gallimard want after Song announces she is pregnant?
2. What does Toulon ask Gallimard to do for him in France?
3. What does Gallimard feel about his inability to produce a child?
4. What happened to Helga on her way home from the grocery store?
5. In Act 2, Scene 11, what does Gallimard want from Helga?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Renee is the young and beautiful student that Gallimard carries on an "extra extramarital affair" with. She differs greatly from every other female character in the play. Write an essay on the relationship Gallimard has with Renee and her importance within the structure of his story.
1. How is Renee characterized during her first meeting with Gallimard? How comfortable is she with her personality and her sexuality?
2. What is Gallimard's reason for carrying on this affair? How does he feel about Renee?
3. Why do you believe Hwang chose for this character to have the same first name as Gallimard?
Essay Topic 2
Hwang wrote M. Butterfly after hearing details on the true account of a French diplomat falling for a cross-dressing Chinese spy. However, the spectrum of ideas presented in this play are Hwang's. Write an essay summing up the larger ideas of this play.
1. What are the political themes of this play? What did Hwang hope to achieve by resenting them dramatically? Was he successful?
2. What are the gender issues associated with this story? How is the perception of the feminine/masculine a major thematic element?
3. Dramatically, what did Hwang attempt to present with this play? What are we as the audience supposed to walk away from this story feeling or wanting?
Essay Topic 3
During Act 1, the opera of Madame Butterfly serves as a structure to the first act.
1. How does each character reflect the part he/she plays? How are they different?
2. What is important about the story of Madame Butterfly in conjunction with the story of the play?
3. How does it foreshadow events in the play?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)