|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one reason Song gives for not wanting to marry Gallimard?
2. What does Toulon ask Gallimard to do for him in France?
3. What does Toulon find irritating?
4. What does Gallimard claim about the Chinese?
5. Which character is watching Scene 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During Act 1, the opera of Madame Butterfly serves as a structure to the first act.
1. How does each character reflect the part he/she plays? How are they different?
2. What is important about the story of Madame Butterfly in conjunction with the story of the play?
3. How does it foreshadow events in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Renee is the young and beautiful student that Gallimard carries on an "extra extramarital affair" with. She differs greatly from every other female character in the play. Write an essay on the relationship Gallimard has with Renee and her importance within the structure of his story.
1. How is Renee characterized during her first meeting with Gallimard? How comfortable is she with her personality and her sexuality?
2. What is Gallimard's reason for carrying on this affair? How does he feel about Renee?
3. Why do you believe Hwang chose for this character to have the same first name as Gallimard?
Essay Topic 3
Gallimard claims he is pure imagination. Write an essay on what Hwang meant to portray with this plot development.
1. Do you believe Gallimard knew Song was a man? Cite examples from the story that back your argument.
2. What changes when Gallimard finally sees Song naked? How does he treat Song? How does his opinion on Song changed? According to Gallimard, what was the mistake that Song made?
3. How does Song react to Gallimard's attitude toward him?
4. How does the fantasy world different from the reality of Gallimard's situation? Which does he choose? Why?
5. What does Gallimard mean when he is "pure imagination?"
This section contains 2,261 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)