Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing that Helga says to Gallimard?
2. What does Toulon ask Gallimard to do for him in France?
3. How has life in the West been for Gallimard?
4. Who do the Vietnamese generals plan on assassinating?
5. What idea of Song's does Gallimard repeat to Toulon?
Essay Topic 1
There is a distinct relationship that is established between Song and Gallimard that relates to the stereotypical relationship between the East ("the Orient") and the West.
1. Gallimard's view of his relationship can be translated as give and take. What is it that Gallimard offers to Song in their relationship? What does she give him in exchange?
2. How does the relationship between Gallimard and his Butterfly reflect the relationship between the East and West?
Essay Topic 2
Renee is the young and beautiful student that Gallimard carries on an "extra extramarital affair" with. She differs greatly from every other female character in the play. Write an essay on the relationship Gallimard has with Renee and her importance within the structure of his story.
1. How is Renee characterized during her first meeting with Gallimard? How comfortable is she with her personality and her sexuality?
2. What is Gallimard's reason for carrying on this affair? How does he feel about Renee?
3. Why do you believe Hwang chose for this character to have the same first name as Gallimard?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the Butterfly in M. Butterfly? Write an essay backing your argument.
1. At the beginning of the play, who does Gallimard cast as Butterfly? What is his reasoning for doing so?
2. Who does Gallimard claim is the Butterfly at the conclusion of the story? Describe how and why the situation has changed during the progression of the story.
3. Describe Hwang's use of symbolism during Gallimard donning of the Butterfly costume at the play's conclusion.
4. Do you feel Hwang's choices were strong? How would you choose to end the play?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)