Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Gallimard at the point Scene 13 occurs?
2. What didn't Gallimard like about Song's second letter?
3. What does Gallimard ask Song?
4. What does Song say is undervalued in the West?
5. Who is the American consul character in Madame Butterfly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Song say that Peepee will never live in the West?
2. Why did Toulon send Gallimard back to France?
3. What is Gallimard's relationship with Marc?
4. What does Gallimard believe when Song says "...sometimes it is also mutual" and why does it surprise him?
5. How does Toulon's view of the Americans and their actions reflect France's opinion of their place in this historic time period?
6. Describe the character of Renee.
7. Why does Toulon approve of Gallimard's infidelity?
8. How has Helga's opinion on China changed when she and Gallimard return to France?
9. Why does Gallimard want Song to say she is his Butterfly?
10. How has the relationship between Marc and Gallimard changed during the course of the play?
Essay Topic 1
Gallimard serves as the narrator throughout the play. The fantasies and flashbacks are his. Write a characterization of Gallimard and how he fits in with the structure of the play.
1. What was Gallimard's life like growing up? How did his days as a youth help to create the man he is now?
2. Describe Gallimard's relationship with women. Is Gallimard an attractive man? How does his physical appearance reflect his place in society? How does he talk to women? What is his sex drive like?
3. Descibe Gallimard's relationship with his wife. Why did he marry her? What is his opinion of love? How does that affect his interactions with other characters and his actions in the play?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Comrade Chin represents the Communist politics of China. She enforces the law and the needs of her country, which causes many of the plot elements in M. Butterfly.
1. How does Comrade Chin represent the politics of the time period? How does she represent the changing values of the country?
2. How does Chin differ from the fantasy that Song puts forth regarding the ideal woman? What does she think of Song's role in her society? What does she think of Song's tactics? How does she react to Song's opinion on women?
3. Why does Chin have Song beaten? How do Chin's actions affect the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Gallimard's sexuality plays a major role in the plot of the play.
1. What seems to be Gallimard's sexual relationship with his wife? How does it differ from what he shares with Song? How is it different from his sexual encounters with Renee? How about Isabelle?
2. What is the importance of the men's magazine model who strips for Gallimard in his fantasy?
3. Marc is conjured up to encourage Gallimard's lustful nature. Although their characters are different, how are their wants similar? Why does Gallimard feel the need to imagine these interactions with his old school friend?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)