|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about the night that occurs in Scene 10?
2. What didn't Gallimard like about Song's second letter?
3. Why did Isabelle have sex with Gallimard?
4. What character does Marc appear as in Act 1, Scene 11?
5. What is one of the features of Pinkerton's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the actions within the play prove Song's theory that all a man wants from a woman is to submit, and that will result in him recanting his demands?
2. Describe the character of Manuel Toulon.
3. How does Toulon's view of the Americans and their actions reflect France's opinion of their place in this historic time period?
4. At the end of the opera, Butterfly states that "Death with honor/Is better than life/Life with dishonor." What does she mean and why does she say it?
5. During Act 2, Scene 2, Song explains that although China has ruled the world in the past, it would be much more exciting to rule the contemporary world. What does this foreshadow?
6. Why does Song need Chin to acquire a baby for her? What kind of baby does it need to be?
7. How does Marc's marriage and his treatment of women and that of Gallimard's differ?
8. How has the relationship between Marc and Gallimard changed during the course of the play?
9. What does Song say she wants to do by the end of her encounter with Chin in Act 2, Scene 9? Is this her own choice?
10. How do Gallimard and his wife agree in regards to their opinion of the Chinese people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the characters' are driven by the culture they came from. There is a distinct role that the social backdrop plays in the storyline.
1. Describe the nature of the cultures that surrounds Hwang's story. Most noticeably, the Chinese and French influences. Is there any other cultures that have a personality within the plot? What are some of the characteristics we associate with each culture and how does Hwang play on them?
2. Which characters fit into their cultural stereotype? How has their culture played a part in building their personality? How does it play a part in their motives?
Essay Topic 2
During Act 1, the opera of Madame Butterfly serves as a structure to the first act.
1. How does each character reflect the part he/she plays? How are they different?
2. What is important about the story of Madame Butterfly in conjunction with the story of the play?
3. How does it foreshadow events in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Song creates an involved web of lies to trap Gallimard. Song portrays little regard for the lives of others.
1. What are Song's major characteristics? How do those characteristics develop and change as the plot goes on?
2. What are some of the tactics Song uses to get what she wants? How do her needs change?
3. What are Song's motives behind her entrapment of Gallimard? Personal? Political? Do her ethics ever conflict with her goals?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)