|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In grammar school, what title was Gallimard given?
2. How much time has passed since Gallimard's last meeting with Song by Scene 13?
3. What does Song call Gallimard?
4. In Scene 1, in what city is Gallimard residing?
5. What does Toulon state will not be part of Gallimard's job requirement?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gallimard look at his marriage? Who did he marry? What did he marry for?
2. At the end of the opera, Butterfly states that "Death with honor/Is better than life/Life with dishonor." What does she mean and why does she say it?
3. How do the actions within the play prove Song's theory that all a man wants from a woman is to submit, and that will result in him recanting his demands?
4. How do Gallimard and his wife agree in regards to their opinion of the Chinese people?
5. Is it ever clear if Gallimard knew Song was a man?
6. What happens when Gallimard sees Song naked for the first time?
7. What is the premise for Gallimard's favorite musical, Madame Butterfly?
8. How does Song talk Gallimard out of marriage?
9. How does Chin's point of view of Song's service to the Revolution differ from Song's?
10. How does the Chinese opera differ from the performance Gallimard saw at the ambassador's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marc and Gallimard have different points of view on the definition of infidelity and the morals involved with it. Write an essay comparing and contrasting Gallimard and Marc and their view and treatment of women.
1. How does Marc know Gallimard? What is the nature of their relationship? During their friendship, how did their lives differ? More specifically, what were their places within their social circle?
2. How did Marc view women in his youth? How did he treat them? Did this change after he got married? How do these characteristics differ from Gallimard's? How are they similar?
3. What kind of life did Marc lead while Gallimard was in China? How did their relationship change during the course of the play? How did Gallimard conjured image of Marc affect his actions in the play?
Essay Topic 2
During Act 1, the opera of Madame Butterfly serves as a structure to the first act.
1. How does each character reflect the part he/she plays? How are they different?
2. What is important about the story of Madame Butterfly in conjunction with the story of the play?
3. How does it foreshadow events in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Gallimard claims he is pure imagination. Write an essay on what Hwang meant to portray with this plot development.
1. Do you believe Gallimard knew Song was a man? Cite examples from the story that back your argument.
2. What changes when Gallimard finally sees Song naked? How does he treat Song? How does his opinion on Song changed? According to Gallimard, what was the mistake that Song made?
3. How does Song react to Gallimard's attitude toward him?
4. How does the fantasy world different from the reality of Gallimard's situation? Which does he choose? Why?
5. What does Gallimard mean when he is "pure imagination?"
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)