Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Gallimard at the point Scene 13 occurs?
2. What didn't Gallimard like about Song's second letter?
3. What does Gallimard ask Song?
4. What does Song say is undervalued in the West?
5. Who is the American consul character in Madame Butterfly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Song say that Peepee will never live in the West?
2. Why did Toulon send Gallimard back to France?
3. What is Gallimard's relationship with Marc?
4. What does Gallimard believe when Song says "...sometimes it is also mutual" and why does it surprise him?
5. How does Toulon's view of the Americans and their actions reflect France's opinion of their place in this historic time period?
6. Describe the character of Renee.
7. Why does Toulon approve of Gallimard's infidelity?
8. How has Helga's opinion on China changed when she and Gallimard return to France?
9. Why does Gallimard want Song to say she is his Butterfly?
10. How has the relationship between Marc and Gallimard changed during the course of the play?
Essay Topic 1
The politics of a changing world play a major part in the direction of the plot. Write an essay on how the political tumult defines the conflict between certain characters and situations.
1. What are some of the major political events that happen while Gallimard is in office? What are the major global events that occur during the 1960's?
2. As the 60's progress, how does life for the characters in the play change? What is at stake for characters involved? How does the play and the stakes within it change as time goes by?
3. Describe how the growing chaos of the 1960s reflect events within M. Butterfly.
Essay Topic 2
Who is the Butterfly in M. Butterfly? Write an essay backing your argument.
1. At the beginning of the play, who does Gallimard cast as Butterfly? What is his reasoning for doing so?
2. Who does Gallimard claim is the Butterfly at the conclusion of the story? Describe how and why the situation has changed during the progression of the story.
3. Describe Hwang's use of symbolism during Gallimard donning of the Butterfly costume at the play's conclusion.
4. Do you feel Hwang's choices were strong? How would you choose to end the play?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the climactic encounter between Gallimard and Song when he asks to see her naked for the first time.
1. When Gallimard leaves the reception where he had his encounter with Toulon, what is he feeling? What is the catalyst for his emotions?
2. What are the reasons Gallimard gives for wanting to strip Song? How does she react? Why?
3. How does Song talk Gallimard out of seeing her naked? What is at stake for her?
4. How is this moment pivotal in the life of the play and the relationship between Gallimard and Song? How do his feelings for her change?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)