|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of woman did Gallimard marry?
2. What is Song afraid of as she is entertaining Gallimard in her parlor?
3. What is Gallimard thinking when he is having sex with Isabelle?
4. What did Gallimard replace with practicality?
5. In grammar school, what title was Gallimard given?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Toulon choose to put forth Gallimard's choices and opinions to his superiors in intelligence instead of his own?
2. What is the premise for Gallimard's favorite musical, Madame Butterfly?
3. What is the difference of Toulon living "in China," and Gallimard living "with the Chinese?"
4. How do Gallimard and his wife agree in regards to their opinion of the Chinese people?
5. How is Gallimard talked out of seeing the doctor?
6. How does the Chinese opera differ from the performance Gallimard saw at the ambassador's house?
7. Why is Song's invitation to for Gallimardto enter her apartment so serious for her?
8. In the opera, how does the character of Butterfly look on Pinkerton?
9. Why was Song beaten? What were Chin's choices for further punishment for Song?
10. How does Renee's candor about sexuality and the human anatomy differ from Galliamard's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the characters' are driven by the culture they came from. There is a distinct role that the social backdrop plays in the storyline.
1. Describe the nature of the cultures that surrounds Hwang's story. Most noticeably, the Chinese and French influences. Is there any other cultures that have a personality within the plot? What are some of the characteristics we associate with each culture and how does Hwang play on them?
2. Which characters fit into their cultural stereotype? How has their culture played a part in building their personality? How does it play a part in their motives?
Essay Topic 2
Nearing the end of Act 2, Helga and Gallimard have an altercation involving the changing face of the country. Gallimard seems unable to find happiness in his life in France, and Helga seems lost as well, unable to understand the political upheaval that has followed them from the Eastern world.
1. How was life different for Gallimard and Helga during their time in China? How has France changed in the time they were away? How are the two countries similar?
2. How does Gallimard react to Helga's opinion of their two homes? What does Gallimard want that Helga cannot provide?
3. How does this interaction reflect the larger picture of international changes?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the climactic encounter between Gallimard and Song when he asks to see her naked for the first time.
1. When Gallimard leaves the reception where he had his encounter with Toulon, what is he feeling? What is the catalyst for his emotions?
2. What are the reasons Gallimard gives for wanting to strip Song? How does she react? Why?
3. How does Song talk Gallimard out of seeing her naked? What is at stake for her?
4. How is this moment pivotal in the life of the play and the relationship between Gallimard and Song? How do his feelings for her change?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)