|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What didn't Gallimard like about Song's second letter?
2. According to Gallimard, how does Manuel Toulon think of himself?
3. From what location is Gallimard narrating his story?
4. In what year does Scene 12 take place?
5. Where did Helga go on the night Gallimard went to the opera house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference of Toulon living "in China," and Gallimard living "with the Chinese?"
2. How has Helga's opinion on China changed when she and Gallimard return to France?
3. Why does Toulon choose to put forth Gallimard's choices and opinions to his superiors in intelligence instead of his own?
4. Why does Song say that Peepee will never live in the West?
5. Why did Toulon send Gallimard back to France?
6. How does Chin's point of view of Song's service to the Revolution differ from Song's?
7. How do the actions within the play prove Song's theory that all a man wants from a woman is to submit, and that will result in him recanting his demands?
8. How is Gallimard talked out of seeing the doctor?
9. After seeing Song for the first time on stage, how does Gallimard react to her?
10. How does Song's opinion of Madame Butterfly differ from Gallimard's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During Act 1, the opera of Madame Butterfly serves as a structure to the first act.
1. How does each character reflect the part he/she plays? How are they different?
2. What is important about the story of Madame Butterfly in conjunction with the story of the play?
3. How does it foreshadow events in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the Butterfly in M. Butterfly? Write an essay backing your argument.
1. At the beginning of the play, who does Gallimard cast as Butterfly? What is his reasoning for doing so?
2. Who does Gallimard claim is the Butterfly at the conclusion of the story? Describe how and why the situation has changed during the progression of the story.
3. Describe Hwang's use of symbolism during Gallimard donning of the Butterfly costume at the play's conclusion.
4. Do you feel Hwang's choices were strong? How would you choose to end the play?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Comrade Chin represents the Communist politics of China. She enforces the law and the needs of her country, which causes many of the plot elements in M. Butterfly.
1. How does Comrade Chin represent the politics of the time period? How does she represent the changing values of the country?
2. How does Chin differ from the fantasy that Song puts forth regarding the ideal woman? What does she think of Song's role in her society? What does she think of Song's tactics? How does she react to Song's opinion on women?
3. Why does Chin have Song beaten? How do Chin's actions affect the plot?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)