|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Toulon say Gallimard has changed?
2. What does Butterfly use to kill herself in the opera?
3. What is Song afraid of as she is entertaining Gallimard in her parlor?
4. What does Gallimard say about Song's performance?
5. In Act 1, Scene 7, when Gallimard is speaking to Helga, what does he say about the Chinese?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gallimard look at his marriage? Who did he marry? What did he marry for?
2. In the plot of the opera Madame Butterfly, what is the relationship between Pinkerton and Sharpless? How does that story relate to Gallimard?
3. During Act 2, Scene 2, Song explains that although China has ruled the world in the past, it would be much more exciting to rule the contemporary world. What does this foreshadow?
4. What does Gallimard believe when Song says "...sometimes it is also mutual" and why does it surprise him?
5. Durig Act 2, Scene 1, Gallimard claims that although men watching a production of Madame Butterfly may resent the character of Pinkerton, very few would pass up the chance to be him. Why does Gallimard think this is possible?
6. Why does Gallimard believe God is a man?
7. What does Gallimard mean when he says he has become a celebrity?
8. Why did Toulon send Gallimard back to France?
9. Describe the character of Manuel Toulon.
10. What is Gallimard's relationship with Marc?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the theme of parenthood in the play.
1. Why does Helga want to have a baby? Why does she want Gallimard to see a doctor? Why is there conflict over this?
2. Does Gallimard want to be a father? Why or why not?
3. What are Song's motives for "mothering" Gallimard's child? How does introducing a baby change the stakes for Gallimard and Song?
Essay Topic 2
Gallimard claims he is pure imagination. Write an essay on what Hwang meant to portray with this plot development.
1. Do you believe Gallimard knew Song was a man? Cite examples from the story that back your argument.
2. What changes when Gallimard finally sees Song naked? How does he treat Song? How does his opinion on Song changed? According to Gallimard, what was the mistake that Song made?
3. How does Song react to Gallimard's attitude toward him?
4. How does the fantasy world different from the reality of Gallimard's situation? Which does he choose? Why?
5. What does Gallimard mean when he is "pure imagination?"
Essay Topic 3
The politics of a changing world play a major part in the direction of the plot. Write an essay on how the political tumult defines the conflict between certain characters and situations.
1. What are some of the major political events that happen while Gallimard is in office? What are the major global events that occur during the 1960's?
2. As the 60's progress, how does life for the characters in the play change? What is at stake for characters involved? How does the play and the stakes within it change as time goes by?
3. Describe how the growing chaos of the 1960s reflect events within M. Butterfly.
This section contains 2,942 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)