|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of woman did Gallimard marry?
2. What does Song claim she has given to Gallimard?
3. At what time does Song call Gallimard?
4. What was one outstanding feature about Isabelle that Marc remembers?
5. What is different about the night that occurs in Scene 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Song mean when she said the fascination Caucasian men have for Oriental women is always "imperialist?"
2. What does Gallimard's experience with Isabelle reflect his sex life as a whole?
3. What is Gallimard's relationship with Marc?
4. How do the actions within the play prove Song's theory that all a man wants from a woman is to submit, and that will result in him recanting his demands?
5. Is it ever clear if Gallimard knew Song was a man?
6. How is Gallimard talked out of seeing the doctor?
7. What does Gallimard mean when he says he has become a celebrity?
8. Describe the character of Renee.
9. Why did Song take so much care in her first appearance to Gallimard when he finds him in France?
10. Define the "Rape Mentality" that Song describes in the courtroom.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the theme of parenthood in the play.
1. Why does Helga want to have a baby? Why does she want Gallimard to see a doctor? Why is there conflict over this?
2. Does Gallimard want to be a father? Why or why not?
3. What are Song's motives for "mothering" Gallimard's child? How does introducing a baby change the stakes for Gallimard and Song?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Comrade Chin represents the Communist politics of China. She enforces the law and the needs of her country, which causes many of the plot elements in M. Butterfly.
1. How does Comrade Chin represent the politics of the time period? How does she represent the changing values of the country?
2. How does Chin differ from the fantasy that Song puts forth regarding the ideal woman? What does she think of Song's role in her society? What does she think of Song's tactics? How does she react to Song's opinion on women?
3. Why does Chin have Song beaten? How do Chin's actions affect the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Song creates an involved web of lies to trap Gallimard. Song portrays little regard for the lives of others.
1. What are Song's major characteristics? How do those characteristics develop and change as the plot goes on?
2. What are some of the tactics Song uses to get what she wants? How do her needs change?
3. What are Song's motives behind her entrapment of Gallimard? Personal? Political? Do her ethics ever conflict with her goals?
This section contains 2,855 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)