|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two main characters of the opera, Madame Butterfly?
2. What is Song afraid of as she is entertaining Gallimard in her parlor?
3. Who is Gallimard used to seeing play the lead in Madame Butterfly?
4. Why did Gallimard get scared when Isabelle screamed that she was coming?
5. What does Song say is one of a Westerner's favorite fantasies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Chin's plans for Song after her time in the commune?
2. Why did Toulon decide to keep Gallimard on board with the intelligence division?
3. Why does Song need Chin to acquire a baby for her? What kind of baby does it need to be?
4. What is the difference of Toulon living "in China," and Gallimard living "with the Chinese?"
5. How does Marc's marriage and his treatment of women and that of Gallimard's differ?
6. How does Gallimard feel about having a baby with Song? How does he feel when he sees the baby for the first time?
7. What happens when Gallimard sees Song naked for the first time?
8. Why did Toulon send Gallimard back to France?
9. Describe the character of Renee.
10. Why is Gallimard's experiment with Song considered a success when she claims that she has given him her shame?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marc and Gallimard have different points of view on the definition of infidelity and the morals involved with it. Write an essay comparing and contrasting Gallimard and Marc and their view and treatment of women.
1. How does Marc know Gallimard? What is the nature of their relationship? During their friendship, how did their lives differ? More specifically, what were their places within their social circle?
2. How did Marc view women in his youth? How did he treat them? Did this change after he got married? How do these characteristics differ from Gallimard's? How are they similar?
3. What kind of life did Marc lead while Gallimard was in China? How did their relationship change during the course of the play? How did Gallimard conjured image of Marc affect his actions in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Much of the characters' are driven by the culture they came from. There is a distinct role that the social backdrop plays in the storyline.
1. Describe the nature of the cultures that surrounds Hwang's story. Most noticeably, the Chinese and French influences. Is there any other cultures that have a personality within the plot? What are some of the characteristics we associate with each culture and how does Hwang play on them?
2. Which characters fit into their cultural stereotype? How has their culture played a part in building their personality? How does it play a part in their motives?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the Butterfly in M. Butterfly? Write an essay backing your argument.
1. At the beginning of the play, who does Gallimard cast as Butterfly? What is his reasoning for doing so?
2. Who does Gallimard claim is the Butterfly at the conclusion of the story? Describe how and why the situation has changed during the progression of the story.
3. Describe Hwang's use of symbolism during Gallimard donning of the Butterfly costume at the play's conclusion.
4. Do you feel Hwang's choices were strong? How would you choose to end the play?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)