Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Gallimard at the point Scene 13 occurs?
2. What didn't Gallimard like about Song's second letter?
3. What does Gallimard ask Song?
4. What does Song say is undervalued in the West?
5. Who is the American consul character in Madame Butterfly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Song say that Peepee will never live in the West?
2. Why did Toulon send Gallimard back to France?
3. What is Gallimard's relationship with Marc?
4. What does Gallimard believe when Song says "...sometimes it is also mutual" and why does it surprise him?
5. How does Toulon's view of the Americans and their actions reflect France's opinion of their place in this historic time period?
6. Describe the character of Renee.
7. Why does Toulon approve of Gallimard's infidelity?
8. How has Helga's opinion on China changed when she and Gallimard return to France?
9. Why does Gallimard want Song to say she is his Butterfly?
10. How has the relationship between Marc and Gallimard changed during the course of the play?
The politics of a changing world play a major part in the direction of the plot. Write an essay on how the political tumult defines the conflict between certain characters and situations.
1. What are some of the major political events that happen while Gallimard is in office? What are the major global events that occur during the 1960's?
2. As the 60's progress, how does life for the characters in the play change? What is at stake for characters involved? How does the play and the stakes within it change as time goes by?
3. Describe how the growing chaos of the 1960s reflect events within M. Butterfly.
Renee is the young and beautiful student that Gallimard carries on an "extra extramarital affair" with. She differs greatly from every other female character in the play. Write an essay on the relationship Gallimard has with Renee and her importance within the structure of his story.
1. How is Renee characterized during her first meeting with Gallimard? How comfortable is she with her personality and her sexuality?
2. What is Gallimard's reason for carrying on this affair? How does he feel about Renee?
3. Why do you believe Hwang chose for this character to have the same first name as Gallimard?
During Act 1, the opera of Madame Butterfly serves as a structure to the first act.
1. How does each character reflect the part he/she plays? How are they different?
2. What is important about the story of Madame Butterfly in conjunction with the story of the play?
3. How does it foreshadow events in the play?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)