Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Gallimard at the point Scene 13 occurs?
2. What didn't Gallimard like about Song's second letter?
3. What does Gallimard ask Song?
4. What does Song say is undervalued in the West?
5. Who is the American consul character in Madame Butterfly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Song say that Peepee will never live in the West?
2. Why did Toulon send Gallimard back to France?
3. What is Gallimard's relationship with Marc?
4. What does Gallimard believe when Song says "...sometimes it is also mutual" and why does it surprise him?
5. How does Toulon's view of the Americans and their actions reflect France's opinion of their place in this historic time period?
6. Describe the character of Renee.
7. Why does Toulon approve of Gallimard's infidelity?
8. How has Helga's opinion on China changed when she and Gallimard return to France?
9. Why does Gallimard want Song to say she is his Butterfly?
10. How has the relationship between Marc and Gallimard changed during the course of the play?
Essay Topic 1
When Song is on the witness stand, he describes his situation with Gallimard in great detail. One major point he has relates to the masculine/feminine characterization of the West and East and the "Rape mentality" the former has for the latter.
1. How does Song define "Rape mentality?"
2. How does this mindset relate to Song's opinion of international relations? How do those relations compare to Song's opinions of men and women from those countries?
3. How do all of these factors culminate in Song's relationship with Gallimard?
4. Do you agree with Song? Do you believe Gallimard's intentions reflect Songs opinion on their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Comrade Chin represents the Communist politics of China. She enforces the law and the needs of her country, which causes many of the plot elements in M. Butterfly.
1. How does Comrade Chin represent the politics of the time period? How does she represent the changing values of the country?
2. How does Chin differ from the fantasy that Song puts forth regarding the ideal woman? What does she think of Song's role in her society? What does she think of Song's tactics? How does she react to Song's opinion on women?
3. Why does Chin have Song beaten? How do Chin's actions affect the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Gallimard serves as the narrator throughout the play. The fantasies and flashbacks are his. Write a characterization of Gallimard and how he fits in with the structure of the play.
1. What was Gallimard's life like growing up? How did his days as a youth help to create the man he is now?
2. Describe Gallimard's relationship with women. Is Gallimard an attractive man? How does his physical appearance reflect his place in society? How does he talk to women? What is his sex drive like?
3. Descibe Gallimard's relationship with his wife. Why did he marry her? What is his opinion of love? How does that affect his interactions with other characters and his actions in the play?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)