|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Madame Butterfly, how old is Butterfly?
2. What is the famous duet that Pinkerton and Sharpless sing together?
(a) "The Love Duet."
(b) "The Marriage Duet."
(c) "The Whole World Over."
(d) "The Lass that Loved a Sailor."
3. In the stage directions, who does David Henry Hwang compare Song to in appearance?
(a) Lana Turner.
(b) Anna May Wong.
(c) Nancy Kwan.
(d) Rita Moreno.
4. According to Gallimard, why did God create Eve?
(a) For the good of the earth.
(b) To serve God.
(c) To give life.
(d) To serve Adam.
5. What is the setting of Scene 12?
(a) Song's flat.
(b) The American embassy.
(c) The streets of Beijing.
(d) Ambassador Toulon's residence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gallimard ask Song?
2. In Scene 1, in what city is Gallimard residing?
3. According to Gallimard, how does Manuel Toulon think of himself?
4. What did Gallimard believe Song was doing before they part ways at the end of Scene 8?
5. What it the setting of Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Renee's candor about sexuality and the human anatomy differ from Galliamard's?
2. Why is Gallimard's experiment with Song considered a success when she claims that she has given him her shame?
3. Why does Toulon choose to put forth Gallimard's choices and opinions to his superiors in intelligence instead of his own?
4. Define the "Rape Mentality" that Song describes in the courtroom.
5. Is it ever clear if Gallimard knew Song was a man?
6. How does the nature of Gallimard and Song's relationship develop through Act 1?
7. Why did Toulon decide to keep Gallimard on board with the intelligence division?
8. How do the actions within the play prove Song's theory that all a man wants from a woman is to submit, and that will result in him recanting his demands?
9. During Act 2, Scene 2, Song explains that although China has ruled the world in the past, it would be much more exciting to rule the contemporary world. What does this foreshadow?
10. How does Song talk Gallimard out of marriage?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)