|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Scene 12?
(a) Ambassador Toulon's residence.
(b) Song's flat.
(c) The streets of Beijing.
(d) The American embassy.
2. What was Gallimard's instinct when he saw Song perform Madame Butterfly?
(a) He wanted to kill Pinkerton.
(b) He wanted to take her in his arms.
(c) He wanted to kill her.
(d) He wanted her to be sad.
3. Where does Scene 13 take place?
(a) Song's apartment.
(b) The German embassy.
(c) The French embassy.
(d) Gallimard's home.
4. What do the three people in Scene 2 think of Gallimard?
(a) They believe he is not good looking.
(b) They believe he is a handsome man.
(c) They think he is dangerous.
(d) They think he is inspiring.
5. What does Gallimard ask Song?
(a) "Are you the one?"
(b) "Who is Butterfly?"
(c) "Are you my Butterfly?"
(d) "Why me?"
Short Answer Questions
1. In Madame Butterfly, what is it that Butterfly fears from the Western man?
2. What is Song afraid of as she is entertaining Gallimard in her parlor?
3. How much does Pinkerton pay for Butterfly?
4. What is Song's full name?
5. What does Song get upset about when she enters the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Song's opinion of Madame Butterfly differ from Gallimard's?
2. Why does Toulon choose to put forth Gallimard's choices and opinions to his superiors in intelligence instead of his own?
3. What does Gallimard believe when Song says "...sometimes it is also mutual" and why does it surprise him?
4. Why did Toulon decide to keep Gallimard on board with the intelligence division?
5. What happens when Gallimard sees Song naked for the first time?
6. Why does Gallimard want Song to say she is his Butterfly?
7. How does the nature of Gallimard and Song's relationship develop through Act 1?
8. How does Marc's marriage and his treatment of women and that of Gallimard's differ?
9. What seems to be other people's opinion of Gallimard? Does he reflect that same opinion?
10. At the end of the opera, Butterfly states that "Death with honor/Is better than life/Life with dishonor." What does she mean and why does she say it?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)