|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of Song's letter does Gallimard quote for her?
(a) "I have already given you my life."
(b) "I have already given you my heart."
(c) "I have already give you my soul."
(d) "I have already given you my shame."
2. What is Gallimard thinking when he is having sex with Isabelle?
(a) "God. This is wonderful!"
(b) "Help me!"
(c) "God. So this is it?"
(d) "I wonder who she is..."
3. What is Song's full name?
(a) Song Suzuki.
(b) Song Liling.
(c) Song Long.
(d) Song Gallimard.
4. What is the famous duet that Pinkerton and Sharpless sing together?
(a) "The Whole World Over."
(b) "The Lass that Loved a Sailor."
(c) "The Love Duet."
(d) "The Marriage Duet."
5. What didn't Gallimard like about Song's second letter?
(a) She called him "friend."
(b) She said she would tell his wife.
(c) She was very hateful.
(d) She said she missed him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Madame Butterfly, what is it that Butterfly fears from the Western man?
2. In Act 1, Scene 7, when Gallimard is speaking to Helga, what does he say about the Chinese?
3. Who is in the framed picture that Gallimard picks up?
4. What does Song tell Gallimard she feels about his presence?
5. What does Song think of the story of Madame Butterfly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise for Gallimard's favorite musical, Madame Butterfly?
2. Why does Song say that Peepee will never live in the West?
3. Describe the character of Manuel Toulon.
4. How does Gallimard's character change at the end of Scene 10?
5. Why does Song consider Gallimard her greatest acting challenge?
6. How does Song seem to feel when compared to Western women? How does this relate to her own education and upbringing?
7. How does Marc's marriage and his treatment of women and that of Gallimard's differ?
8. How do the actions within the play prove Song's theory that all a man wants from a woman is to submit, and that will result in him recanting his demands?
9. How does Gallimard look at his marriage? Who did he marry? What did he marry for?
10. In the plot of the opera Madame Butterfly, what is the relationship between Pinkerton and Sharpless? How does that story relate to Gallimard?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)