|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Song call Gallimard?
(a) A cad.
(b) A tiger.
(c) An idiot.
(d) A wimp.
2. In Gallimard's fantasy, who plays Pinkerton?
(b) Comrade Chin.
(c) Manuel Toulon.
(d) Gallimard himself.
3. How was the woman Isabelle important in Gallimard's life?
(a) She was the first woman he ever loved.
(b) She was his first sexual experience.
(c) She was his sister.
(d) She was the first woman Marc ever loved.
4. What does Sharpless say will be engraved on Pinkerton's tombstone?
(a) "I saved a dollar, here I lie."
(b) "I saved a woman, here I lie."
(c) "I loved the perfect woman."
(d) "I loved money."
5. What does Song say is one of a Westerner's favorite fantasies?
(a) The submissive Oriental woman with the cruel white man.
(b) The submissive white women with the cruel Oriental man.
(c) The meek husband and the brave Oriental wife.
(d) The submissive Oriental woman and the shy white man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Song claim she has given to Gallimard?
2. What is Gallimard sick of hearing about the Chinese culture?
3. What does Song hate about her audience?
4. In what year does Scene 4 take place?
5. What does Song say is different about Gallimard that made him stand out in her audience?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Song talk Gallimard out of marriage?
2. How does Gallimard look at his marriage? Who did he marry? What did he marry for?
3. Why does Gallimard want Song to say she is his Butterfly?
4. Describe the character of Manuel Toulon.
5. How do Gallimard and his wife agree in regards to their opinion of the Chinese people?
6. Why did Song take so much care in her first appearance to Gallimard when he finds him in France?
7. What does Song say she wants to do by the end of her encounter with Chin in Act 2, Scene 9? Is this her own choice?
8. Why does Helga want Gallimard to visit the doctor? How do their wants differ in Act 2, Scene 5?
9. In the opera, how does the character of Butterfly look on Pinkerton?
10. What is Song's opinion on how managed to change Gallimard's destiny?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)