|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an important fact that Toulon wants Gallimard to know about their jobs at the embassy?
(a) They will watch for spies.
(b) Things will continue as normal.
(c) The nature of their work is changing.
(d) They will push for more power.
2. Why did Gallimard get scared when Isabelle screamed that she was coming?
(a) He was embarrassed to be seen with her.
(b) He didn't like loud noises.
(c) He thought she meant someone was actually coming.
(d) He didn't want it to end.
3. During the Revolution, what signs would hang in the windows of the clubs in Shanghai?
(a) "No dogs or cats."
(b) "No dogs and Chinamen."
(c) "Whites only."
(d) "No women allowed."
4. What does Song say is undervalued in the West?
(a) Street smarts.
5. What is Song wearing when Gallimard enters her apartment?
(a) A sheer dressing gown.
(b) A kimono.
(c) A full formal dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What didn't Gallimard like about Song's second letter?
2. In Madame Butterfly, what are the last words Butterfly sings before she kills herself?
3. What was Gallimard's instinct when he saw Song perform Madame Butterfly?
4. What is the job that Gallimard is promoted to?
5. What is Gallimard thinking when he is having sex with Isabelle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Gallimard and his wife agree in regards to their opinion of the Chinese people?
2. In the opera, how does the character of Butterfly look on Pinkerton?
3. How does Gallimard look at his marriage? Who did he marry? What did he marry for?
4. Why was Song beaten? What were Chin's choices for further punishment for Song?
5. Why does Song need Chin to acquire a baby for her? What kind of baby does it need to be?
6. How is Gallimard talked out of seeing the doctor?
7. What does Gallimard's experience with Isabelle reflect his sex life as a whole?
8. Why is Gallimard's experiment with Song considered a success when she claims that she has given him her shame?
9. What did Song mean when she said the fascination Caucasian men have for Oriental women is always "imperialist?"
10. What are Chin's plans for Song after her time in the commune?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)