|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Gallimard, how does Manuel Toulon think of himself?
(a) As a mother hen.
(b) As a servant of the people.
(c) As a proud boss.
(d) As God.
2. During the Revolution, what signs would hang in the windows of the clubs in Shanghai?
(a) "No dogs and Chinamen."
(b) "No women allowed."
(c) "Whites only."
(d) "No dogs or cats."
3. Why did Gallimard cease to call on Song?
(a) To protect her.
(b) He has no interest in her.
(c) He was afraid of scandal.
(d) To feel the rush of power over a woman.
4. Who is Gallimard used to seeing play the lead in Madame Butterfly?
(a) Huge women in viking helmets.
(b) Small men in drag.
(c) Huge women in bad makeup.
(d) Huge men in bad makeup.
5. What does Sharpless say will be engraved on Pinkerton's tombstone?
(a) "I saved a woman, here I lie."
(b) "I loved the perfect woman."
(c) "I loved money."
(d) "I saved a dollar, here I lie."
Short Answer Questions
1. By what other name does Pinkerton's wife go?
2. How long did it take before Gallimard went to see Song perform at the opera house?
3. In Scene 1, in what city is Gallimard residing?
4. What does Gallimard believe about God?
5. What does Marc compare a pool full of naked women to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gallimard's experiment with Song considered a success when she claims that she has given him her shame?
2. How does Song seem to feel when compared to Western women? How does this relate to her own education and upbringing?
3. What does Gallimard mean when he says he has become a celebrity?
4. What seems to be other people's opinion of Gallimard? Does he reflect that same opinion?
5. Why does Gallimard believe God is a man?
6. How is Gallimard talked out of seeing the doctor?
7. What are Chin's plans for Song after her time in the commune?
8. How has Helga's opinion on China changed when she and Gallimard return to France?
9. How does the character of Comrade Chin view Song's actions for the government?
10. How does Song's opinion of Madame Butterfly differ from Gallimard's?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)