|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Scene 1, in what city is Gallimard residing?
(a) Shanghai, China.
(b) Paris, France.
(c) Versailles, France.
(d) Beijing, China.
2. What is the job that Gallimard is promoted to?
3. What was Gallimard's instinct when he saw Song perform Madame Butterfly?
(a) He wanted her to be sad.
(b) He wanted to kill her.
(c) He wanted to kill Pinkerton.
(d) He wanted to take her in his arms.
4. What event is going on in Scene 12?
(a) An opera performance.
(b) A meeting.
(c) A reception.
(d) A crowning.
5. What was one outstanding feature about Isabelle that Marc remembers?
(a) She had beautiful eyes.
(b) She had the softest skin.
(c) She was a horrible person.
(d) She never wore underwear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Song claim she has given to Gallimard?
2. Who is the American consul character in Madame Butterfly?
3. What did Gallimard believe Song was doing before they part ways at the end of Scene 8?
4. What character does Marc appear as in Act 1, Scene 11?
5. What it the setting of Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. After seeing Song for the first time on stage, how does Gallimard react to her?
2. In the plot of the opera Madame Butterfly, what is the relationship between Pinkerton and Sharpless? How does that story relate to Gallimard?
3. How does Song seem to feel when compared to Western women? How does this relate to her own education and upbringing?
4. Why does Gallimard believe God is a man?
5. What seems to be other people's opinion of Gallimard? Does he reflect that same opinion?
6. Why does Gallimard want to see Song fully naked?
7. How does Toulon's view of the Americans and their actions reflect France's opinion of their place in this historic time period?
8. How has Helga's opinion on China changed when she and Gallimard return to France?
9. What does Song say she wants to do by the end of her encounter with Chin in Act 2, Scene 9? Is this her own choice?
10. What is Song's opinion on how managed to change Gallimard's destiny?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)