|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Butterfly use to kill herself in the opera?
(a) Her sleeves.
(b) A gun.
(c) A sword.
(d) A knife.
2. Finish the sentence: "...there's no guarantee of failure in life like ________"
(a) "...failure as a child."
(b) "...finding happiness in love."
(c) "...a depressing mairage."
(d) "...happiness in high school."
3. How many women has Marc slept with since he got married?
(b) Four hundred.
(c) Three hundred.
4. What is the setting of Scene 2?
(a) The streets of Beijing.
(b) A courtroom.
(c) A flat in China.
(d) A party in a chic parlor.
5. What does Song tell Gallimard she feels about his presence?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toulon believe about Gallimard?
2. By what other name does Pinkerton's wife go?
3. In what year does Scene 12 take place?
4. What does Gallimard say about Song's performance?
5. What is the famous duet that Pinkerton and Sharpless sing together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gallimard mean when he says he has become a celebrity?
2. How does Renee's candor about sexuality and the human anatomy differ from Galliamard's?
3. In the opera, how does the character of Butterfly look on Pinkerton?
4. Define the "Rape Mentality" that Song describes in the courtroom.
5. Durig Act 2, Scene 1, Gallimard claims that although men watching a production of Madame Butterfly may resent the character of Pinkerton, very few would pass up the chance to be him. Why does Gallimard think this is possible?
6. What does Gallimard believe when Song says "...sometimes it is also mutual" and why does it surprise him?
7. Why does Song say that Peepee will never live in the West?
8. At the end of the opera, Butterfly states that "Death with honor/Is better than life/Life with dishonor." What does she mean and why does she say it?
9. How does Gallimard feel about having a baby with Song? How does he feel when he sees the baby for the first time?
10. Why was Song beaten? What were Chin's choices for further punishment for Song?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)