|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what other name does Pinkerton's wife go?
(b) Lovely One.
(d) Little One.
2. What did Gallimard replace with practicality?
3. What does Sharpless say will be engraved on Pinkerton's tombstone?
(a) "I saved a dollar, here I lie."
(b) "I loved the perfect woman."
(c) "I saved a woman, here I lie."
(d) "I loved money."
4. How was the woman Isabelle important in Gallimard's life?
(a) She was the first woman he ever loved.
(b) She was his sister.
(c) She was the first woman Marc ever loved.
(d) She was his first sexual experience.
5. In grammar school, what title was Gallimard given?
(a) "Least popular."
(b) "Least likely to succeed."
(c) "Least likely to be invited to a party."
(d) "Least likely to kiss a girl."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Song claim she has given to Gallimard?
2. Where does Scene 8 take place?
3. What did Gallimard believe Song was doing before they part ways at the end of Scene 8?
4. What does Song say is undervalued in the West?
5. What is the setting of Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the nature of Gallimard and Song's relationship develop through Act 1?
2. Describe the character of Manuel Toulon.
3. How does Marc's marriage and his treatment of women and that of Gallimard's differ?
4. What are Chin's plans for Song after her time in the commune?
5. Why does Song say that Peepee will never live in the West?
6. How does Toulon's view of the Americans and their actions reflect France's opinion of their place in this historic time period?
7. How does Gallimard feel about having a baby with Song? How does he feel when he sees the baby for the first time?
8. What did Song mean when she said the fascination Caucasian men have for Oriental women is always "imperialist?"
9. How does the character of Comrade Chin view Song's actions for the government?
10. How does Gallimard's character change at the end of Scene 10?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)