|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Gallimard at the point Scene 13 occurs?
2. What didn't Gallimard like about Song's second letter?
(a) She was very hateful.
(b) She said she would tell his wife.
(c) She said she missed him.
(d) She called him "friend."
3. What does Gallimard ask Song?
(a) "Are you the one?"
(b) "Why me?"
(c) "Are you my Butterfly?"
(d) "Who is Butterfly?"
4. What does Song say is undervalued in the West?
(a) Street smarts.
5. Who is the American consul character in Madame Butterfly?
Short Answer Questions
1. What event is going on in Scene 12?
2. What does Song claim she has given to Gallimard?
3. In Madame Butterfly, what are the last words Butterfly sings before she kills herself?
4. In what year does Scene 4 take place?
5. What it the setting of Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Song say that Peepee will never live in the West?
2. Why did Toulon send Gallimard back to France?
3. What is Gallimard's relationship with Marc?
4. What does Gallimard believe when Song says "...sometimes it is also mutual" and why does it surprise him?
5. How does Toulon's view of the Americans and their actions reflect France's opinion of their place in this historic time period?
6. Describe the character of Renee.
7. Why does Toulon approve of Gallimard's infidelity?
8. How has Helga's opinion on China changed when she and Gallimard return to France?
9. Why does Gallimard want Song to say she is his Butterfly?
10. How has the relationship between Marc and Gallimard changed during the course of the play?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)