|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Song afraid of as she is entertaining Gallimard in her parlor?
(a) A beating from her father.
(c) Hoping for too much.
2. From what location is Gallimard narrating his story?
(a) His flat in Beijing.
(b) His flat in Paris.
(c) A prison cell in Paris.
(d) A courtroom in Paris.
3. What is the famous duet that Pinkerton and Sharpless sing together?
(a) "The Whole World Over."
(b) "The Love Duet."
(c) "The Marriage Duet."
(d) "The Lass that Loved a Sailor."
4. What is Gallimard sick of hearing about the Chinese culture?
(a) That it is submissive.
(b) That it is new.
(c) That is it small.
(d) That it is old.
5. How large is Gallimard's cell?
(a) 3 meters by 5 meters.
(b) 4 feet by 5 feet.
(c) 4 1/2 meters by 5 meters.
(d) 4 1/2 feet by 5 feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Song call Gallimard?
2. Who plays the character of Suzuki in Gallimard's dream?
3. In the first scene of the play, how old is Gallimard?
4. What does Gallimard say about Song's performance?
5. What does Song say about the soul of China?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Song say she wants to do by the end of her encounter with Chin in Act 2, Scene 9? Is this her own choice?
2. Why does Toulon approve of Gallimard's infidelity?
3. What is the premise for Gallimard's favorite musical, Madame Butterfly?
4. How does Toulon's view of the Americans and their actions reflect France's opinion of their place in this historic time period?
5. In the story of Madame Butterfly, how is Butterfly treated by Pinkerton?
6. How does the character of Comrade Chin view Song's actions for the government?
7. How does the nature of Gallimard and Song's relationship develop through Act 1?
8. What is Song's opinion on how managed to change Gallimard's destiny?
9. Is it ever clear if Gallimard knew Song was a man?
10. Why did Toulon decide to keep Gallimard on board with the intelligence division?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)