|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Scene 8 take place?
(a) The Ambassador's home.
(b) A prison cell and the streets of Paris.
(c) The President's home.
(d) The Chinese opera house and the streets of Beijing.
2. What character does Marc appear as in Act 1, Scene 11?
(a) A beuracrat.
(b) A servant.
(c) A king.
(d) A soldier.
3. How was the woman Isabelle important in Gallimard's life?
(a) She was his first sexual experience.
(b) She was the first woman Marc ever loved.
(c) She was his sister.
(d) She was the first woman he ever loved.
4. According to Gallimard, who wrote Madame Butterfly?
(a) Richard Wagner.
(b) William Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan.
(c) Giuseppe Verdi.
(d) Giacomo Puccini.
5. In what year does Scene 6 take place?
(b) Present day.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Scene 4 take place?
2. What does Gallimard consider himself to be?
3. What didn't Gallimard like about Song's second letter?
4. What is the setting of Scene 2?
5. What did Helga want to know about Song's performance Gallimard had seen that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Song say that Peepee will never live in the West?
2. Is it ever clear if Gallimard knew Song was a man?
3. How does Toulon's view of the Americans and their actions reflect France's opinion of their place in this historic time period?
4. How does Renee's candor about sexuality and the human anatomy differ from Galliamard's?
5. What is Song's opinion on how managed to change Gallimard's destiny?
6. What did Song mean when she said the fascination Caucasian men have for Oriental women is always "imperialist?"
7. How do Gallimard and his wife agree in regards to their opinion of the Chinese people?
8. During Act 2, Scene 2, Song explains that although China has ruled the world in the past, it would be much more exciting to rule the contemporary world. What does this foreshadow?
9. What does Gallimard believe when Song says "...sometimes it is also mutual" and why does it surprise him?
10. How is Gallimard talked out of seeing the doctor?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)