|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gallimard thinking when he is having sex with Isabelle?
(a) "God. This is wonderful!"
(b) "I wonder who she is..."
(c) "Help me!"
(d) "God. So this is it?"
2. How does Toulon say Gallimard has changed?
(a) He has become confident.
(b) He has become more physically fit.
(c) He has become withdrawn.
(d) He gets on his nerves,
3. How long did it take before Gallimard went to see Song perform at the opera house?
(a) Four days.
(b) Four months.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Five weeks.
4. What does Song claim she has given to Gallimard?
(a) Her life.
(b) Her love.
(c) Her soul.
(d) Her shame.
5. What is the setting of Scene 12?
(a) The streets of Beijing.
(b) Song's flat.
(c) The American embassy.
(d) Ambassador Toulon's residence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Scene 8 take place?
2. What does Song call Gallimard?
3. What does Toulon state will not be part of Gallimard's job requirement?
4. What is the job that Gallimard is promoted to?
5. How many women has Marc slept with since he got married?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the plot of the opera Madame Butterfly, what is the relationship between Pinkerton and Sharpless? How does that story relate to Gallimard?
2. How is the character of Isabelle important?
3. Why does Gallimard believe God is a man?
4. How does Toulon's view of the Americans and their actions reflect France's opinion of their place in this historic time period?
5. What does Gallimard believe when Song says "...sometimes it is also mutual" and why does it surprise him?
6. What is Song's opinion on how managed to change Gallimard's destiny?
7. What seems to be other people's opinion of Gallimard? Does he reflect that same opinion?
8. What is the difference of Toulon living "in China," and Gallimard living "with the Chinese?"
9. During Act 2, Scene 2, Song explains that although China has ruled the world in the past, it would be much more exciting to rule the contemporary world. What does this foreshadow?
10. Why is Gallimard's experiment with Song considered a success when she claims that she has given him her shame?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)