|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character does Marc appear as in Act 1, Scene 11?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A king.
(c) A servant.
(d) A beuracrat.
2. How does Toulon say Gallimard has changed?
(a) He has become confident.
(b) He gets on his nerves,
(c) He has become more physically fit.
(d) He has become withdrawn.
3. In grammar school, what title was Gallimard given?
(a) "Least likely to be invited to a party."
(b) "Least popular."
(c) "Least likely to kiss a girl."
(d) "Least likely to succeed."
4. What does Song call Gallimard?
(a) A cad.
(b) A tiger.
(c) An idiot.
(d) A wimp.
5. In the stage directions, who does David Henry Hwang compare Song to in appearance?
(a) Nancy Kwan.
(b) Lana Turner.
(c) Rita Moreno.
(d) Anna May Wong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Gallimard cease to call on Song?
2. Where does Scene 11 take place?
3. Where does Scene 8 take place?
4. What does Butterfly use to kill herself in the opera?
5. Why did Isabelle have sex with Gallimard?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the opera, how does the character of Butterfly look on Pinkerton?
2. In the plot of the opera Madame Butterfly, what is the relationship between Pinkerton and Sharpless? How does that story relate to Gallimard?
3. After seeing Song for the first time on stage, how does Gallimard react to her?
4. Why does Gallimard believe God is a man?
5. How does Gallimard's character change at the end of Scene 10?
6. How does the Chinese opera differ from the performance Gallimard saw at the ambassador's house?
7. Why does Song consider Gallimard her greatest acting challenge?
8. Durig Act 2, Scene 1, Gallimard claims that although men watching a production of Madame Butterfly may resent the character of Pinkerton, very few would pass up the chance to be him. Why does Gallimard think this is possible?
9. What did Song mean when she said the fascination Caucasian men have for Oriental women is always "imperialist?"
10. How has the relationship between Marc and Gallimard changed during the course of the play?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)