|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish the sentence: "...there's no guarantee of failure in life like ________"
(a) "...finding happiness in love."
(b) "...failure as a child."
(c) "...a depressing mairage."
(d) "...happiness in high school."
2. According to Gallimard, how does Manuel Toulon think of himself?
(a) As a servant of the people.
(b) As God.
(c) As a mother hen.
(d) As a proud boss.
3. What does Song say is one of a Westerner's favorite fantasies?
(a) The submissive Oriental woman and the shy white man.
(b) The submissive Oriental woman with the cruel white man.
(c) The meek husband and the brave Oriental wife.
(d) The submissive white women with the cruel Oriental man.
4. What is Song afraid of as she is entertaining Gallimard in her parlor?
(a) Hoping for too much.
(d) A beating from her father.
5. What does Song call Gallimard?
(a) A cad.
(b) A wimp.
(c) A tiger.
(d) An idiot.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Gallimard at the point Scene 13 occurs?
2. Where does Scene 11 take place?
3. From what location is Gallimard narrating his story?
4. What did Gallimard replace with practicality?
5. What was Gallimard's instinct when he saw Song perform Madame Butterfly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise for Gallimard's favorite musical, Madame Butterfly?
2. How is Gallimard talked out of seeing the doctor?
3. How do the actions within the play prove Song's theory that all a man wants from a woman is to submit, and that will result in him recanting his demands?
4. How has Helga's opinion on China changed when she and Gallimard return to France?
5. What seems to be other people's opinion of Gallimard? Does he reflect that same opinion?
6. In the plot of the opera Madame Butterfly, what is the relationship between Pinkerton and Sharpless? How does that story relate to Gallimard?
7. How does the nature of Gallimard and Song's relationship develop through Act 1?
8. What is the nature of Gallimard's experiment with Song? Why does he decide to treat her in this fashion?
9. How does Gallimard feel about having a baby with Song? How does he feel when he sees the baby for the first time?
10. What does Song say she wants to do by the end of her encounter with Chin in Act 2, Scene 9? Is this her own choice?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)