|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Madame Butterfly, what is it that Butterfly fears from the Western man?
(a) He will kill her baby.
(b) He will catch a butterfly, pierce its heart and leave it to perish.
(c) He will force her to leave her family.
(d) He will love a butterfly and never let it go.
2. How does Toulon say Gallimard has changed?
(a) He gets on his nerves,
(b) He has become confident.
(c) He has become withdrawn.
(d) He has become more physically fit.
3. What is an important fact that Toulon wants Gallimard to know about their jobs at the embassy?
(a) They will watch for spies.
(b) They will push for more power.
(c) Things will continue as normal.
(d) The nature of their work is changing.
4. What does Sharpless say will be engraved on Pinkerton's tombstone?
(a) "I loved the perfect woman."
(b) "I loved money."
(c) "I saved a woman, here I lie."
(d) "I saved a dollar, here I lie."
5. Who is the American consul character in Madame Butterfly?
Short Answer Questions
1. By whom does Gallimard believe he has been loved?
2. What does Song say is different about Gallimard that made him stand out in her audience?
3. What does Toulon state will not be part of Gallimard's job requirement?
4. What character does Marc appear as in Act 1, Scene 11?
5. Why did Isabelle have sex with Gallimard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Gallimard's experiment with Song? Why does he decide to treat her in this fashion?
2. How do Gallimard and his wife agree in regards to their opinion of the Chinese people?
3. What does Song say she wants to do by the end of her encounter with Chin in Act 2, Scene 9? Is this her own choice?
4. Why does Song need Chin to acquire a baby for her? What kind of baby does it need to be?
5. Is it ever clear if Gallimard knew Song was a man?
6. How does Chin's point of view of Song's service to the Revolution differ from Song's?
7. Why does Song say that Peepee will never live in the West?
8. How is the character of Isabelle important?
9. Why was Song beaten? What were Chin's choices for further punishment for Song?
10. How does the nature of Gallimard and Song's relationship develop through Act 1?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)