|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Madame Butterfly, what is it that Butterfly fears from the Western man?
(a) He will force her to leave her family.
(b) He will catch a butterfly, pierce its heart and leave it to perish.
(c) He will kill her baby.
(d) He will love a butterfly and never let it go.
2. What did Gallimard believe Song was doing before they part ways at the end of Scene 8?
3. According to Gallimard, who wrote Madame Butterfly?
(a) Richard Wagner.
(b) William Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan.
(c) Giuseppe Verdi.
(d) Giacomo Puccini.
4. What kind of woman did Gallimard marry?
(a) An older woman.
(b) An heiress.
(c) A quiet woman.
(d) A sweet woman.
5. By what other name does Pinkerton's wife go?
(a) Lovely One.
(c) Little One.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Gallimard, how does Manuel Toulon think of himself?
2. In what year does Scene 12 take place?
3. Why did Gallimard get scared when Isabelle screamed that she was coming?
4. What does Song hate about her audience?
5. How much time has passed since Gallimard's last meeting with Song by Scene 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Define the "Rape Mentality" that Song describes in the courtroom.
2. What does Gallimard mean when he says he has become a celebrity?
3. How does Gallimard feel about having a baby with Song? How does he feel when he sees the baby for the first time?
4. Why does Toulon approve of Gallimard's infidelity?
5. What is the difference of Toulon living "in China," and Gallimard living "with the Chinese?"
6. Is it ever clear if Gallimard knew Song was a man?
7. How does Gallimard's character change at the end of Scene 10?
8. How does Song talk Gallimard out of marriage?
9. What are Chin's plans for Song after her time in the commune?
10. What is the premise for Gallimard's favorite musical, Madame Butterfly?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)