|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what location is Gallimard narrating his story?
(a) His flat in Paris.
(b) A prison cell in Paris.
(c) A courtroom in Paris.
(d) His flat in Beijing.
2. Finish the sentence: "...there's no guarantee of failure in life like ________"
(a) "...finding happiness in love."
(b) "...failure as a child."
(c) "...happiness in high school."
(d) "...a depressing mairage."
3. According to Gallimard, how does Manuel Toulon think of himself?
(a) As a mother hen.
(b) As a servant of the people.
(c) As a proud boss.
(d) As God.
4. By what other name does Pinkerton's wife go?
(a) Lovely One.
(d) Little One.
5. What do the three people in Scene 2 think of Gallimard?
(a) They think he is inspiring.
(b) They believe he is a handsome man.
(c) They believe he is not good looking.
(d) They think he is dangerous.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Scene 4 take place?
2. What does Song say is one of a Westerner's favorite fantasies?
3. In what year does Scene 6 take place?
4. What event is going on in Scene 12?
5. What does Gallimard say about Song's performance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gallimard believe when Song says "...sometimes it is also mutual" and why does it surprise him?
2. How is Gallimard talked out of seeing the doctor?
3. Why does Gallimard believe God is a man?
4. In the story of Madame Butterfly, how is Butterfly treated by Pinkerton?
5. Why did Toulon send Gallimard back to France?
6. In the opera, how does the character of Butterfly look on Pinkerton?
7. What is Gallimard's relationship with Marc?
8. Describe the character of Manuel Toulon.
9. How does Song seem to feel when compared to Western women? How does this relate to her own education and upbringing?
10. In the plot of the opera Madame Butterfly, what is the relationship between Pinkerton and Sharpless? How does that story relate to Gallimard?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)