|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Song think of the story of Madame Butterfly?
(a) She thinks it is boring.
(b) She thinks it is the perfect opera.
(c) She thinks it is ridiculous.
(d) She thinks it is beautiful.
2. By what other name does Pinkerton's wife go?
(a) Little One.
(d) Lovely One.
3. Who is the American consul character in Madame Butterfly?
4. From what location is Gallimard narrating his story?
(a) His flat in Paris.
(b) A prison cell in Paris.
(c) His flat in Beijing.
(d) A courtroom in Paris.
5. What does Gallimard believe about God?
(a) He is a man.
(b) He is all-powerful.
(c) He does not exist.
(d) He sees Gallimard's crimes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about the night that occurs in Scene 10?
2. How does Toulon say Gallimard has changed?
3. What it the setting of Scene 6?
4. What is Gallimard sick of hearing about the Chinese culture?
5. What kind of woman did Gallimard marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Song take so much care in her first appearance to Gallimard when he finds him in France?
2. Why does Helga want Gallimard to visit the doctor? How do their wants differ in Act 2, Scene 5?
3. What seems to be other people's opinion of Gallimard? Does he reflect that same opinion?
4. What is Song's opinion on how managed to change Gallimard's destiny?
5. How does Song talk Gallimard out of marriage?
6. In the story of Madame Butterfly, how is Butterfly treated by Pinkerton?
7. Why does Gallimard want to see Song fully naked?
8. In the opera, how does the character of Butterfly look on Pinkerton?
9. How does Gallimard feel about having a baby with Song? How does he feel when he sees the baby for the first time?
10. Why does Gallimard believe God is a man?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)