|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the end, what was a reason for Gallimard's refusal to go to the doctor?
(a) Going to the doctor would make him a woman.
(b) Going to the doctor would make Song unhappy.
(c) Going to the doctor would end in Helga being pregnant.
(d) Going to the doctor would question his manhood.
2. What does the banner read that Comrade Chin enters with?
(a) "The Actor Renounces His Decadent Profession!"
(b) "The Actor Knows His End is Near!"
(c) "The Actor Denies His Heritage!"
(d) "The Actor Cannot Escape His Fate!"
3. What does Gallimard say his job affects?
(a) A small corner of the world.
(b) A bit of the earth.
(c) A large part of the universe.
(d) A small slice of China.
4. What does Chin want to make sure that Song remembers?
(a) There is no homosexuality in China.
(b) Her acts are for the greater good.
(c) Women are stupid.
(d) Women have no respect in China.
5. What does Song tell Gallimard he was to her?
(a) Her only way out of China.
(b) Her greatest love.
(c) Her greatest acting challenge.
(d) Her greatest lie.
6. What does Gallimard have to say about Chairman Mao's cult?
(a) It has died out.
(b) It will die out soon.
(c) It has become very strong.
(d) It would rule the world very soon.
7. In what year does Scene 10 take place?
8. Where does Song say she will be when the audience returns from their five-minute break?
(b) In court.
(c) Right where they left her.
(d) Where they least expect her to be.
9. How has life in the West been for Gallimard?
(a) Hard work.
(b) A disappointment.
(c) A relaxing situation.
(d) A healthy change.
10. Where does Scene 10 take place?
(a) A commune.
(b) Mao's palace.
(c) Gallimard's flat in Beijing.
(d) Comrade Chin's home.
11. What happened to Helga on her way home from the grocery store?
(a) She is hosed down by some policemen.
(b) She sees some policemen beating some students.
(c) She sees people looting a store.
(d) She is fascinated by a student's speech.
12. According to Gallimard, who do the Orientals want to be associated with?
(a) Whoever shows the most strength and power.
(c) China and only China.
(d) Ho Chi Minh.
13. How does Toulon feel about Gallimard's infidelity?
(a) He finds it hilarious.
(b) He approves.
(c) He is disgusted.
(d) He denies it is happening.
14. What is Song's response when Chin wants to know how Song retains all the information?
(a) She is an actor
(b) She was threatened with her life.
(c) She was raised to do so.
(d) She is a woman.
15. According to Song, what does happiness look like?
(d) A baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gallimard feel about his inability to produce a child?
2. What is one of Gallimard's reasons for wanting to see Song naked?
3. How does Song define the Chinese?
4. What does Toulon find irritating?
5. What does Gallimard want Toulon to tell the Americans?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)