|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 11, what does Gallimard want from Helga?
(a) A baby.
(b) A new start.
(d) A divorce.
2. What does Toulon ask Gallimard to do for him in France?
(a) Get a good night's sleep.
(b) Make some real money.
(c) Eat a croissant.
(d) Sleep with his wife.
3. What was NOT waiting for Gallimard back in Paris when he arrived in 1968?
(a) A regular schedule.
(c) Better Chinese food than he'd eaten in China.
(d) Friends and family.
4. What does the banner state that is unveiled at the end of Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) "The Actor Denies and Dies!"
(b) "The Actor is Rehabilitated!"
(c) "The Actor Lives!"
(d) "The Actor Serves the People!"
5. What is Song's response when Chin wants to know how Song retains all the information?
(a) She is an actor
(b) She was raised to do so.
(c) She is a woman.
(d) She was threatened with her life.
6. What does Chin want to make sure that Song remembers?
(a) Women have no respect in China.
(b) Women are stupid.
(c) There is no homosexuality in China.
(d) Her acts are for the greater good.
7. How does Song respond when Chin asks how Song came to live in an exalted position?
(a) "I was a plaything for the white devils!"
(b) "I loved a perfect man!"
(c) "I was a plaything for a Frenchman!"
(d) "I was a plaything for the Imperialists!"
8. In what year does Scene 10 take place?
9. Which character is watching Scene 7?
(d) Every character in the cast.
10. Where does Gallimard meet Renee?
(a) A party at Gallimard's home.
(b) A party at the Australian embassy.
(c) A party at the Austrian embassy.
(d) A party at Toulon's home.
11. What doesn't Renee like about China?
(a) It's an ugly place.
(b) There are too many women.
(c) There are no handsome men.
(d) There's nothing to do at night.
12. According to Gallimard, how many American dollars were spent for every Viet Cong killed?
(a) Four hundred thousand dollars.
(b) Four hundred yen.
(c) Four hundred dollars.
(d) Four million dollars.
13. As Chin enters, what does Gallimard beg of the audience?
(a) To love Song despite her betrayal.
(b) To judge Song for what she is doing.
(c) To try to see it from his point of view,
(d) To side with whoever they see fit.
14. Where does Act 2, Scene 2 take place?
(a) A prison cell.
(b) Helga's apartment.
(c) The streets of Paris.
(d) Gallimard and Butterfly's flat.
15. In the end, what was a reason for Gallimard's refusal to go to the doctor?
(a) Going to the doctor would question his manhood.
(b) Going to the doctor would make Song unhappy.
(c) Going to the doctor would make him a woman.
(d) Going to the doctor would end in Helga being pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Scene 7 take place?
2. What is NOT one of things that Renee's father imports into the Third World?
3. What does Song tell Gallimard he was to her?
4. What does the banner read that Comrade Chin enters with?
5. How does Toulon feel about Gallimard's infidelity?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)