|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Song believe women's roles in opera are played by men?
(a) Song believes women can't act.
(b) Song believes only a man knows how a woman should act.
(c) Song believes China wants to keep women unstimulated.
(d) Song believes a woman is too smart to act.
2. What does Song realize Gallimard wants her to do?
(a) To pleasure him.
(b) To want him.
(c) To submit to him.
(d) To leave him.
3. According to the commentary that Gallimard reads in Act 2, Scene 1, what does every man want to do to Pinkerton when they watch Madame Butterfly?
(a) Kick him.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Hug him.
(d) Shake his hand.
4. What does Gallimard want after his encounter with Toulon?
(a) A night with Renee.
(b) A shoulder to cry on.
5. What secret can't Toulon keep from Gallimard?
(a) He knows Song's work.
(b) He has heard that Gallimard has a native mistress.
(c) He wants to fire Gallimard.
(d) He has heard Gallimard is leaving his wife.
6. How does Song define the Chinese?
(b) Hopeless romantics.
7. In Act 2, Scene 11, what does Gallimard want from Helga?
(a) A baby.
(b) A new start.
(c) A divorce.
8. What does Gallimard claim about the Chinese?
(a) They love the white people.
(b) They do not like Ho Chi Minh.
(c) They want to be protected by the Vietnamese.
(d) They love the American president.
9. According to Chin, where does pollution begin?
(b) The Orient.
(d) The West.
10. Finish the sentence: "We must conserve our strength for the battles..."
(a) "...we can't lose."
(b) "...we know how to battle."
(c) "...we know of."
(d) "...we can win."
11. What idea of Song's does Gallimard repeat to Toulon?
(a) The Chinese are afraid of power.
(b) The Chinese miss the old days.
(c) The Chinese culture is rooted two-thousad years in the past.
(d) The Chinese are kept ignorant equally.
12. What does Gallimard say his job affects?
(a) A bit of the earth.
(b) A small slice of China.
(c) A large part of the universe.
(d) A small corner of the world.
13. What happened to Helga on her way home from the grocery store?
(a) She is hosed down by some policemen.
(b) She sees people looting a store.
(c) She sees some policemen beating some students.
(d) She is fascinated by a student's speech.
14. What is Renee's profession?
15. According to Marc, how was Gallimard a different man in China?
(a) He was gifted.
(b) He was white.
(c) He was rich.
(d) He loved the perfect woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toulon find irritating?
2. What does the banner state that is unveiled at the end of Act 2, Scene 9?
3. Where does Scene 7 take place?
4. In what year does Scene 8 take place?
5. What does Song say is necessary to counter a counter-revolutionary act?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)