|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gallimard envision when he walked toward Song to strip her?
(a) Pinkerton stalking Butterfly.
(b) Pinkerton leaving Butterfly.
2. According to Marc, how was Gallimard a different man in China?
(a) He was gifted.
(b) He was white.
(c) He was rich.
(d) He loved the perfect woman.
3. Which character is watching Scene 7?
(a) Every character in the cast.
4. Why does Song believe women's roles in opera are played by men?
(a) Song believes a woman is too smart to act.
(b) Song believes women can't act.
(c) Song believes only a man knows how a woman should act.
(d) Song believes China wants to keep women unstimulated.
5. What does Gallimard start to call Song after their affair starts?
(a) One and Only.
(b) My love.
(d) My life.
6. What does Chin want to make sure that Song remembers?
(a) Women have no respect in China.
(b) Women are stupid.
(c) Her acts are for the greater good.
(d) There is no homosexuality in China.
7. According to Song, what does happiness look like?
(a) A baby.
8. What does Toulon find irritating?
(a) France's cowardliness.
(b) America's growing angry attitude.
(c) France's imperialism.
(d) America moving into Vietnam to grab the territory
9. What does Gallimard say his job affects?
(a) A large part of the universe.
(b) A small slice of China.
(c) A small corner of the world.
(d) A bit of the earth.
10. According to the commentary that Gallimard reads in Act 2, Scene 1, what does every man want to do to Pinkerton when they watch Madame Butterfly?
(a) Kick him.
(b) Shake his hand.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Hug him.
11. What does Song realize Gallimard wants her to do?
(a) To want him.
(b) To leave him.
(c) To submit to him.
(d) To pleasure him.
12. Who do the Vietnamese generals plan on assassinating?
(a) The president of France.
(b) President Diem.
(c) Ho Chi Minh.
(d) Chairman Mao.
13. What does Gallimard call his relationship to Renee?
(a) The affair of the century.
(b) An extra extramarital affair.
(c) The right thing to do.
(d) A mistake.
14. What does Song need from Comrade Chin?
(a) A baby.
(b) A job.
(c) A new name.
(d) An alibi.
15. Where does Gallimard meet Renee?
(a) A party at the Austrian embassy.
(b) A party at Toulon's home.
(c) A party at the Australian embassy.
(d) A party at Gallimard's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Song call Gallimard's society?
2. What did the doctor find was wrong with Helga?
3. What does the banner read that Comrade Chin enters with?
4. What does Song say about Chin as she exits?
5. In what year does Scene 10 take place?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)