|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Song tell Gallimard he was to her?
(a) Her greatest love.
(b) Her greatest lie.
(c) Her greatest acting challenge.
(d) Her only way out of China.
2. How does Toulon feel about Gallimard's infidelity?
(a) He approves.
(b) He finds it hilarious.
(c) He is disgusted.
(d) He denies it is happening.
3. What does Gallimard have to say about Chairman Mao's cult?
(a) It will die out soon.
(b) It has become very strong.
(c) It has died out.
(d) It would rule the world very soon.
4. What does Song say about Chin as she exits?
(a) "What passes for a man in modern America.
(b) "What passes as a servant to the people."
(c) "What passes for an officer."
(d) "What passes for a woman in modern China."
5. What does Chin think about actors?
(a) They're all weirdos.
(b) They're all women.
(c) They're all poor people.
(d) They're all homosexuals.
6. What does Song realize Gallimard wants her to do?
(a) To pleasure him.
(b) To leave him.
(c) To submit to him.
(d) To want him.
7. What does Gallimard feel about his inability to produce a child?
(a) God is judging him.
(b) He doesn't care.
(c) He is the woman of the marriage.
(d) God is laughing at him.
8. Where does Song say she will be when the audience returns from their five-minute break?
(a) Where they least expect her to be.
(b) In court.
(d) Right where they left her.
9. According to Chin, where does pollution begin?
(c) The West.
(d) The Orient.
10. According to the commentary that Gallimard reads in Act 2, Scene 1, what does every man want to do to Pinkerton when they watch Madame Butterfly?
(a) Hug him.
(b) Shake his hand.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Kick him.
11. What does Song say is necessary to counter a counter-revolutionary act?
(a) An act of violence.
(b) A revolutionary act.
(c) An act of desperation.
(d) A counter-revolutionary act.
12. How does Song define the Chinese?
(c) Hopeless romantics.
13. What did the doctor find was wrong with Helga?
(a) She is too old to get pregnant.
(b) She is barren.
(c) She is sick.
14. What does Song call Gallimard's society?
15. What is one of Gallimard's reasons for wanting to see Song naked?
(a) He loves her too much to settle for less.
(b) It will remove the last barrier between them.
(c) He wantsto shame her.
(d) It will prove her love to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Gallimard, how many American dollars were spent for every Viet Cong killed?
2. What is one reason Song gives for not wanting to marry Gallimard?
3. At what point in the plot does Scene 8 pick up?
4. Which character is watching Scene 7?
5. What does Gallimard want after Song announces she is pregnant?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)