|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the Vietnamese generals plan on assassinating?
(a) The president of France.
(b) Ho Chi Minh.
(c) Chairman Mao.
(d) President Diem.
2. In what year does Scene 8 take place?
3. What did the doctor find was wrong with Helga?
(a) She is sick.
(b) She is too old to get pregnant.
(d) She is barren.
4. What does Chin think about actors?
(a) They're all weirdos.
(b) They're all women.
(c) They're all homosexuals.
(d) They're all poor people.
5. What is the last thing that Helga says to Gallimard?
(a) "I hope you never find love."
(b) "How horrible I can figure that out."
(c) "I regret everything."
(d) "I hope everyone is mean to you for the rest of your life."
6. In what years does Scene 5 take place?
(b) 1986-present day.
7. Where does Scene 10 take place?
(a) Comrade Chin's home.
(b) A commune.
(c) Mao's palace.
(d) Gallimard's flat in Beijing.
8. Finish Gallimard's sentence: "Oriental women - when they're good they're very good, but when they're bad..."
(a) "...they're men."
(b) "...they're Christians."
(c) "...they're Americans."
(d) "...they're women."
9. What does Song say she wants to do now that her life as an actor is over?
(a) She wants to act.
(b) She wants to live in luxury.
(c) She wants to live.
(d) She wants to serve the people.
10. What does Gallimard start to call Song after their affair starts?
(a) My life.
(b) One and Only.
(c) My love.
11. What is one reason Song gives for not wanting to marry Gallimard?
(a) She loves him too much.
(b) She is not worthy.
(c) She wants to concentrate on her career.
(d) She doesn't believe in marriage.
12. According to Gallimard, who do the Orientals want to be associated with?
(a) Whoever shows the most strength and power.
(b) China and only China.
(c) Ho Chi Minh.
13. According to Marc, how was Gallimard a different man in China?
(a) He was white.
(b) He was gifted.
(c) He loved the perfect woman.
(d) He was rich.
14. According to Song, what does happiness look like?
(d) A baby.
15. What does the banner read that Comrade Chin enters with?
(a) "The Actor Denies His Heritage!"
(b) "The Actor Knows His End is Near!"
(c) "The Actor Cannot Escape His Fate!"
(d) "The Actor Renounces His Decadent Profession!"
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the commentary that Gallimard reads in Act 2, Scene 1, what does every man want to do to Pinkerton when they watch Madame Butterfly?
2. In Act 2, Scene 11, what does Gallimard want from Helga?
3. What is Song's response when Chin wants to know how Song retains all the information?
4. What does Song realize Gallimard wants her to do?
5. As Chin enters, what does Gallimard beg of the audience?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)