|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Scene 7 take place?
(a) Gallimard and Song's flat.
(b) Helga and Gallimard's house.
(c) Toulon's house.
(d) Chin's office.
2. Which character is watching Scene 7?
(d) Every character in the cast.
3. How much time passes between the year Gallimard is fired from the embassy and the year Song travels to France to live with him?
(a) Tenty years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) One year.
(d) Four years.
4. What does Gallimard want after his encounter with Toulon?
(c) A shoulder to cry on.
(d) A night with Renee.
5. According to Gallimard, how many American dollars were spent for every Viet Cong killed?
(a) Four million dollars.
(b) Four hundred yen.
(c) Four hundred thousand dollars.
(d) Four hundred dollars.
6. Who do the Vietnamese generals plan on assassinating?
(a) President Diem.
(b) Chairman Mao.
(c) Ho Chi Minh.
(d) The president of France.
7. What is the last thing that Helga says to Gallimard?
(a) "I hope you never find love."
(b) "How horrible I can figure that out."
(c) "I regret everything."
(d) "I hope everyone is mean to you for the rest of your life."
8. According to Chin, where does pollution begin?
(a) The Orient.
(d) The West.
9. How does Toulon feel about Gallimard's infidelity?
(a) He finds it hilarious.
(b) He approves.
(c) He denies it is happening.
(d) He is disgusted.
10. What does Song say about Chin as she exits?
(a) "What passes for an officer."
(b) "What passes as a servant to the people."
(c) "What passes for a man in modern America.
(d) "What passes for a woman in modern China."
11. What is one of Gallimard's reasons for wanting to see Song naked?
(a) It will prove her love to him.
(b) He loves her too much to settle for less.
(c) He wantsto shame her.
(d) It will remove the last barrier between them.
12. According to the commentary that Gallimard reads in Act 2, Scene 1, what does every man want to do to Pinkerton when they watch Madame Butterfly?
(a) Shake his hand.
(b) Kick him.
(c) Hug him.
(d) Kill him.
13. What does Gallimard feel about his inability to produce a child?
(a) God is judging him.
(b) He doesn't care.
(c) He is the woman of the marriage.
(d) God is laughing at him.
14. What does Song realize Gallimard wants her to do?
(a) To want him.
(b) To pleasure him.
(c) To submit to him.
(d) To leave him.
15. What does Chin think about actors?
(a) They're all women.
(b) They're all homosexuals.
(c) They're all weirdos.
(d) They're all poor people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Song say she wants to do now that her life as an actor is over?
2. What is the name of the baby?
3. What does Gallimard call his relationship to Renee?
4. Finish Gallimard's sentence: "Oriental women - when they're good they're very good, but when they're bad..."
5. According to Song, what does Gallimard shame her with?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)