|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Gallimard, how many American dollars were spent for every Viet Cong killed?
(a) Four million dollars.
(b) Four hundred dollars.
(c) Four hundred thousand dollars.
(d) Four hundred yen.
2. Finish Gallimard's sentence: "Oriental women - when they're good they're very good, but when they're bad..."
(a) "...they're men."
(b) "...they're Christians."
(c) "...they're Americans."
(d) "...they're women."
3. What does Gallimard want after Song announces she is pregnant?
(a) He wants to marry Song.
(b) He wants to leave Helga.
(c) He wants to quit his job.
(d) He wants to leave Song.
4. What does Toulon find irritating?
(a) France's imperialism.
(b) America's growing angry attitude.
(c) America moving into Vietnam to grab the territory
(d) France's cowardliness.
5. Who do the Vietnamese generals plan on assassinating?
(a) The president of France.
(b) Chairman Mao.
(c) Ho Chi Minh.
(d) President Diem.
6. What is one of Gallimard's reasons for wanting to see Song naked?
(a) He loves her too much to settle for less.
(b) It will remove the last barrier between them.
(c) It will prove her love to him.
(d) He wantsto shame her.
7. How does Toulon feel about Gallimard's infidelity?
(a) He is disgusted.
(b) He approves.
(c) He denies it is happening.
(d) He finds it hilarious.
8. Why does Song believe women's roles in opera are played by men?
(a) Song believes China wants to keep women unstimulated.
(b) Song believes a woman is too smart to act.
(c) Song believes women can't act.
(d) Song believes only a man knows how a woman should act.
9. What does Gallimard say his job affects?
(a) A bit of the earth.
(b) A large part of the universe.
(c) A small slice of China.
(d) A small corner of the world.
10. In what city does Scene 6 take place?
(d) New York.
11. In the end, what was a reason for Gallimard's refusal to go to the doctor?
(a) Going to the doctor would make Song unhappy.
(b) Going to the doctor would end in Helga being pregnant.
(c) Going to the doctor would make him a woman.
(d) Going to the doctor would question his manhood.
12. What is Gallimard's opinion of the baby?
(a) He has his smile.
(b) He is not very attractive.
(c) He is very quiet.
(d) He looks just like his mother.
13. In what year does Scene 8 take place?
14. What is NOT one of things that Renee's father imports into the Third World?
(a) Hula hoops.
(b) Confectioner's sugar.
(c) Coffee mugs.
(d) Squirt guns.
15. What did Gallimard envision when he walked toward Song to strip her?
(b) Pinkerton leaving Butterfly.
(d) Pinkerton stalking Butterfly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Song respond when Chin asks how Song came to live in an exalted position?
2. According to Song, what does happiness look like?
3. What secret can't Toulon keep from Gallimard?
4. What does Gallimard call his relationship to Renee?
5. As Chin enters, what does Gallimard beg of the audience?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)