|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gallimard's opinion of the baby?
(a) He has his smile.
(b) He is very quiet.
(c) He is not very attractive.
(d) He looks just like his mother.
2. In the end, what was a reason for Gallimard's refusal to go to the doctor?
(a) Going to the doctor would end in Helga being pregnant.
(b) Going to the doctor would make Song unhappy.
(c) Going to the doctor would question his manhood.
(d) Going to the doctor would make him a woman.
3. What secret can't Toulon keep from Gallimard?
(a) He wants to fire Gallimard.
(b) He has heard Gallimard is leaving his wife.
(c) He knows Song's work.
(d) He has heard that Gallimard has a native mistress.
4. What is NOT one of things that Renee's father imports into the Third World?
(a) Coffee mugs.
(b) Hula hoops.
(c) Confectioner's sugar.
(d) Squirt guns.
5. Where does Act 2, Scene 2 take place?
(a) Helga's apartment.
(b) The streets of Paris.
(c) Gallimard and Butterfly's flat.
(d) A prison cell.
6. What does Song say about Chin as she exits?
(a) "What passes for an officer."
(b) "What passes for a woman in modern China."
(c) "What passes for a man in modern America.
(d) "What passes as a servant to the people."
7. Who does Comrade Chin report to?
(a) Chairman Mao.
(b) Comrade Kang.
(d) Ho Chi Minh.
8. What does Song say is necessary to counter a counter-revolutionary act?
(a) An act of violence.
(b) An act of desperation.
(c) A counter-revolutionary act.
(d) A revolutionary act.
9. What doesn't Renee like about China?
(a) There's nothing to do at night.
(b) There are too many women.
(c) It's an ugly place.
(d) There are no handsome men.
10. What is the name of the baby?
(b) Long Dong.
11. What does Gallimard want Toulon to tell the Americans?
(a) There is a natural affinity between the West and the Orient.
(b) There is a bond of trust between the East and West.
(c) The Americas should protectthe Orient.
(d) There is a natural affinity between America and France.
12. Why does Song believe women's roles in opera are played by men?
(a) Song believes women can't act.
(b) Song believes China wants to keep women unstimulated.
(c) Song believes a woman is too smart to act.
(d) Song believes only a man knows how a woman should act.
13. What did Gallimard envision when he walked toward Song to strip her?
(c) Pinkerton stalking Butterfly.
(d) Pinkerton leaving Butterfly.
14. According to the commentary that Gallimard reads in Act 2, Scene 1, what does every man want to do to Pinkerton when they watch Madame Butterfly?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Kick him.
(c) Hug him.
(d) Shake his hand.
15. What does Gallimard call his relationship to Renee?
(a) The affair of the century.
(b) An extra extramarital affair.
(c) The right thing to do.
(d) A mistake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Scene 10 take place?
2. According to Marc, how was Gallimard a different man in China?
3. What does Toulon ask Gallimard to do for him in France?
4. What does Chin want Song to find out?
5. According to Chin, where does pollution begin?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)