|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character does Marc appear as in Act 1, Scene 11?
(a) A king.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A servant.
(d) A beuracrat.
2. How does Toulon say Gallimard has changed?
(a) He has become withdrawn.
(b) He has become more physically fit.
(c) He gets on his nerves,
(d) He has become confident.
3. What is the setting of Scene 2?
(a) A flat in China.
(b) A courtroom.
(c) The streets of Beijing.
(d) A party in a chic parlor.
4. Finish the sentence: "...there's no guarantee of failure in life like ________"
(a) "...a depressing mairage."
(b) "...failure as a child."
(c) "...happiness in high school."
(d) "...finding happiness in love."
5. In Madame Butterfly, what are the last words Butterfly sings before she kills herself?
(a) "Life is no worse than death. This life is dishonor."
(b) "Death without honor is worse in life. Life is dishonor."
(c) "Death in life is worse than death. Death is life."
(d) "Death with honor is better than life. Life with dishonor."
6. What does Song say is different about Gallimard that made him stand out in her audience?
(a) He is wearing a tie.
(b) He is French.
(c) He is wearing a hat.
(d) He is a man.
7. What does Song get upset about when she enters the room?
(a) Her servants haven't poured any tea.
(b) Gallimard is upset.
(c) Her servants haven't taken his coat.
(d) Her servants are ignoring her.
8. What did Helga want to know about Song's performance Gallimard had seen that night?
(a) She wanted to know if Song had a nice costume.
(b) She wanted to know if Gallimard had liked it.
(c) She wanted to know if Song was pretty.
(d) She wanted to know if Song sang well.
9. In Madame Butterfly, how old is Butterfly?
10. What part of Song's letter does Gallimard quote for her?
(a) "I have already given you my heart."
(b) "I have already given you my life."
(c) "I have already given you my shame."
(d) "I have already give you my soul."
11. What is Song wearing when Gallimard enters her apartment?
(a) A sheer dressing gown.
(b) A kimono.
(c) A full formal dress.
12. What do the three people in Scene 2 think of Gallimard?
(a) They think he is dangerous.
(b) They believe he is not good looking.
(c) They think he is inspiring.
(d) They believe he is a handsome man.
13. What does Song say is one of a Westerner's favorite fantasies?
(a) The submissive Oriental woman and the shy white man.
(b) The submissive Oriental woman with the cruel white man.
(c) The submissive white women with the cruel Oriental man.
(d) The meek husband and the brave Oriental wife.
14. What does Gallimard say about Song's performance?
(a) It is the first time he understands her death.
(b) It is the first time he sees the truth of the story.
(c) It is the first time he is angry at Pinkerton.
(d) It is the first time he sees the beauty of the story.
15. What does Toulon state will not be part of Gallimard's job requirement?
(b) Good judgment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Song's full name?
2. Who appears in Gallimard's dream in Scene 9?
3. What did Gallimard replace with practicality?
4. According to Gallimard, why did God create Eve?
5. What is an important fact that Toulon wants Gallimard to know about their jobs at the embassy?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)