|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Song wearing when Gallimard enters her apartment?
(a) A sheer dressing gown.
(b) A kimono.
(d) A full formal dress.
2. What does Toulon believe about Gallimard?
(a) He is a passionate man.
(b) He is too quiet.
(c) He will change the world.
(d) He is tidy and efficient.
3. Where does Scene 8 take place?
(a) The Chinese opera house and the streets of Beijing.
(b) The President's home.
(c) A prison cell and the streets of Paris.
(d) The Ambassador's home.
4. What is the setting of Scene 12?
(a) The American embassy.
(b) The streets of Beijing.
(c) Ambassador Toulon's residence.
(d) Song's flat.
5. In Gallimard's fantasy, who plays Pinkerton?
(a) Comrade Chin.
(b) Gallimard himself.
(d) Manuel Toulon.
6. What does Song tell Gallimard she feels about his presence?
7. What does Gallimard ask Song?
(a) "Are you my Butterfly?"
(b) "Why me?"
(c) "Are you the one?"
(d) "Who is Butterfly?"
8. In Madame Butterfly, how old is Butterfly?
9. What did Gallimard believe Song was doing before they part ways at the end of Scene 8?
10. What does Sharpless say will be engraved on Pinkerton's tombstone?
(a) "I saved a woman, here I lie."
(b) "I loved money."
(c) "I saved a dollar, here I lie."
(d) "I loved the perfect woman."
11. Who is the American consul character in Madame Butterfly?
12. What does Toulon state will not be part of Gallimard's job requirement?
(d) Good judgment.
13. What is different about the night that occurs in Scene 10?
(a) Gallimard walks Song home.
(b) Gallimard has been invited into Song's apartment.
(c) Helga meets Song.
(d) Gallimard kisses Song.
14. How much time has passed since Gallimard's last meeting with Song by Scene 13?
(a) Nine weeks.
(b) Eight months.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Eight weeks.
15. What is an important fact that Toulon wants Gallimard to know about their jobs at the embassy?
(a) They will watch for spies.
(b) They will push for more power.
(c) Things will continue as normal.
(d) The nature of their work is changing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the stage directions, who does David Henry Hwang compare Song to in appearance?
2. What is the setting of Scene 2?
3. What it the setting of Scene 6?
4. How many women has Marc slept with since he got married?
5. Who plays the character of Suzuki in Gallimard's dream?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)