|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What didn't Gallimard like about Song's second letter?
(a) She was very hateful.
(b) She said she would tell his wife.
(c) She said she missed him.
(d) She called him "friend."
2. What does Song hate about her audience?
(a) Their age.
(b) Their teeth.
(c) Their social bearing.
(d) Their smell.
3. What does Song say is different about Gallimard that made him stand out in her audience?
(a) He is wearing a hat.
(b) He is wearing a tie.
(c) He is a man.
(d) He is French.
4. Why did Gallimard cease to call on Song?
(a) To feel the rush of power over a woman.
(b) To protect her.
(c) He was afraid of scandal.
(d) He has no interest in her.
5. What does Song say about the soul of China?
(a) It is a forward-thinking society.
(b) It is much older than the soul of France.
(c) It is unwilling to learn from its mistakes..
(d) It is rooted two thousand years in the past.
6. What does Gallimard fear when Toulon is talking to him?
(a) He cannot be saved by love.
(b) He is going to kill him.
(c) He will be fired.
(d) He will take Song away from him.
7. According to Gallimard, how does Manuel Toulon think of himself?
(a) As a proud boss.
(b) As a mother hen.
(c) As a servant of the people.
(d) As God.
8. What character does Marc appear as in Act 1, Scene 11?
(a) A king.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A servant.
(d) A beuracrat.
9. What did Helga want to know about Song's performance Gallimard had seen that night?
(a) She wanted to know if Song had a nice costume.
(b) She wanted to know if Song was pretty.
(c) She wanted to know if Gallimard had liked it.
(d) She wanted to know if Song sang well.
10. What was Gallimard's instinct when he saw Song perform Madame Butterfly?
(a) He wanted to kill her.
(b) He wanted to take her in his arms.
(c) He wanted her to be sad.
(d) He wanted to kill Pinkerton.
11. In Gallimard's fantasy, who plays Pinkerton?
(a) Comrade Chin.
(c) Manuel Toulon.
(d) Gallimard himself.
12. What does Butterfly use to kill herself in the opera?
(a) A gun.
(b) Her sleeves.
(c) A sword.
(d) A knife.
13. According to Gallimard, why did God create Eve?
(a) To serve God.
(b) For the good of the earth.
(c) To give life.
(d) To serve Adam.
14. What it the setting of Scene 6?
(a) His flat in Paris.
(b) The Australian ambassador's house.
(c) The German ambassador's house.
(d) His flat in Beijing.
15. What does Song say is undervalued in the West?
(c) Street smarts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plays the character of Suzuki in Gallimard's dream?
2. What kind of woman did Gallimard marry?
3. What part of Song's letter does Gallimard quote for her?
4. How does Gallimard describe his meetings with Song after her weekly performances?
5. What is Song wearing when Gallimard enters her apartment?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)