|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What it the setting of Scene 6?
(a) His flat in Paris.
(b) The German ambassador's house.
(c) The Australian ambassador's house.
(d) His flat in Beijing.
2. Who plays the character of Suzuki in Gallimard's dream?
(b) Comrade Chin.
3. According to Gallimard, how does Manuel Toulon think of himself?
(a) As a servant of the people.
(b) As a proud boss.
(c) As a mother hen.
(d) As God.
4. In grammar school, what title was Gallimard given?
(a) "Least likely to be invited to a party."
(b) "Least likely to succeed."
(c) "Least likely to kiss a girl."
(d) "Least popular."
5. At what time does Song call Gallimard?
(a) 4:30 PM.
(b) 2:00 AM
(c) 5:30 AM
(d) 4:00 PM
6. What does Song call Gallimard?
(a) A tiger.
(b) A wimp.
(c) An idiot.
(d) A cad.
7. What is one of the features of Pinkerton's house?
(a) A disco mirror ball.
(b) Shag carpet.
(c) A view of the rice fields.
(d) A view of the ocean.
8. Who is Gallimard used to seeing play the lead in Madame Butterfly?
(a) Small men in drag.
(b) Huge women in viking helmets.
(c) Huge women in bad makeup.
(d) Huge men in bad makeup.
9. What does Song say is one of a Westerner's favorite fantasies?
(a) The meek husband and the brave Oriental wife.
(b) The submissive Oriental woman and the shy white man.
(c) The submissive Oriental woman with the cruel white man.
(d) The submissive white women with the cruel Oriental man.
10. In Scene 1, in what city is Gallimard residing?
(a) Beijing, China.
(b) Paris, France.
(c) Shanghai, China.
(d) Versailles, France.
11. According to Gallimard, who wrote Madame Butterfly?
(a) Richard Wagner.
(b) William Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan.
(c) Giuseppe Verdi.
(d) Giacomo Puccini.
12. What does Gallimard believe about God?
(a) He is a man.
(b) He sees Gallimard's crimes.
(c) He is all-powerful.
(d) He does not exist.
13. Why did Gallimard get scared when Isabelle screamed that she was coming?
(a) He didn't like loud noises.
(b) He didn't want it to end.
(c) He was embarrassed to be seen with her.
(d) He thought she meant someone was actually coming.
14. By what other name does Pinkerton's wife go?
(c) Lovely One.
(d) Little One.
15. What event is going on in Scene 12?
(a) A meeting.
(b) An opera performance.
(c) A reception.
(d) A crowning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Butterfly use to kill herself in the opera?
2. Who appears in Gallimard's dream in Scene 9?
3. In Madame Butterfly, what is it that Butterfly fears from the Western man?
4. Where did Helga go on the night Gallimard went to the opera house?
5. What does Toulon believe about Gallimard?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)