|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What song from Madame Butterfly underscores the scene in which Gallimard is reading Song's letters?
(a) "Butterfly's Death."
(b) "The Whole World Over."
(c) "Love Duet"
(d) "I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General."
2. What does Toulon state will not be part of Gallimard's job requirement?
(b) Good judgment.
3. What didn't Gallimard like about Song's second letter?
(a) She said she missed him.
(b) She was very hateful.
(c) She called him "friend."
(d) She said she would tell his wife.
4. What kind of woman did Gallimard marry?
(a) A sweet woman.
(b) An older woman.
(c) A quiet woman.
(d) An heiress.
5. What is the famous duet that Pinkerton and Sharpless sing together?
(a) "The Whole World Over."
(b) "The Love Duet."
(c) "The Marriage Duet."
(d) "The Lass that Loved a Sailor."
6. How was the woman Isabelle important in Gallimard's life?
(a) She was the first woman he ever loved.
(b) She was his sister.
(c) She was the first woman Marc ever loved.
(d) She was his first sexual experience.
7. By what other name does Pinkerton's wife go?
(c) Little One.
(d) Lovely One.
8. How long did it take before Gallimard went to see Song perform at the opera house?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Four months.
(d) Four days.
9. What does Song say is different about Gallimard that made him stand out in her audience?
(a) He is French.
(b) He is a man.
(c) He is wearing a tie.
(d) He is wearing a hat.
10. What does Marc compare a pool full of naked women to?
(a) A fish pond.
(b) A scandal waiting to happen.
(c) A grab bag.
(d) A barrel of monkeys.
11. What does Gallimard ask Song?
(a) "Are you the one?"
(b) "Why me?"
(c) "Who is Butterfly?"
(d) "Are you my Butterfly?"
12. What does Toulon believe about Gallimard?
(a) He is too quiet.
(b) He is a passionate man.
(c) He will change the world.
(d) He is tidy and efficient.
13. Where does Scene 11 take place?
(a) The German embassy.
(b) The French embassy.
(c) The Austrian embassy
(d) The American embassy.
14. In Act 1, Scene 7, when Gallimard is speaking to Helga, what does he say about the Chinese?
(a) They are a people with a rich heritage.
(b) They are a young people.
(c) They are an amazing people.
(d) They are an incredibly arrogant people.
15. What does Song say is undervalued in the West?
(d) Street smarts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Song tell Gallimard she feels about his presence?
2. What is one of the features of Pinkerton's house?
3. What does Sharpless say will be engraved on Pinkerton's tombstone?
4. What is Gallimard sick of hearing about the Chinese culture?
5. What is different about the night that occurs in Scene 10?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)