|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Madame Butterfly, what are the last words Butterfly sings before she kills herself?
(a) "Death with honor is better than life. Life with dishonor."
(b) "Death in life is worse than death. Death is life."
(c) "Death without honor is worse in life. Life is dishonor."
(d) "Life is no worse than death. This life is dishonor."
2. What is Gallimard thinking when he is having sex with Isabelle?
(a) "I wonder who she is..."
(b) "God. This is wonderful!"
(c) "God. So this is it?"
(d) "Help me!"
3. What is the setting of Scene 2?
(a) A party in a chic parlor.
(b) The streets of Beijing.
(c) A flat in China.
(d) A courtroom.
4. Where does Scene 13 take place?
(a) Gallimard's home.
(b) The French embassy.
(c) The German embassy.
(d) Song's apartment.
5. In Madame Butterfly, how old is Butterfly?
6. What does Gallimard ask Song?
(a) "Are you my Butterfly?"
(b) "Are you the one?"
(c) "Why me?"
(d) "Who is Butterfly?"
7. How large is Gallimard's cell?
(a) 3 meters by 5 meters.
(b) 4 1/2 feet by 5 feet.
(c) 4 1/2 meters by 5 meters.
(d) 4 feet by 5 feet.
8. In Madame Butterfly, what is it that Butterfly fears from the Western man?
(a) He will force her to leave her family.
(b) He will kill her baby.
(c) He will catch a butterfly, pierce its heart and leave it to perish.
(d) He will love a butterfly and never let it go.
9. By what other name does Pinkerton's wife go?
(b) Little One.
(d) Lovely One.
10. Where did Helga go on the night Gallimard went to the opera house?
(a) A martial arts demonstration.
(b) The Opera House.
(c) An ambassador's party.
(d) The American embassy..
11. What part of Song's letter does Gallimard quote for her?
(a) "I have already given you my life."
(b) "I have already give you my soul."
(c) "I have already given you my heart."
(d) "I have already given you my shame."
12. What was Gallimard's instinct when he saw Song perform Madame Butterfly?
(a) He wanted to kill Pinkerton.
(b) He wanted to take her in his arms.
(c) He wanted to kill her.
(d) He wanted her to be sad.
13. What does Gallimard say about Song's performance?
(a) It is the first time he understands her death.
(b) It is the first time he is angry at Pinkerton.
(c) It is the first time he sees the truth of the story.
(d) It is the first time he sees the beauty of the story.
14. What does Song call Gallimard?
(a) A wimp.
(b) A cad.
(c) A tiger.
(d) An idiot.
15. How much time has passed since Gallimard's last meeting with Song by Scene 13?
(a) Nine months.
(b) Eight months.
(c) Eight weeks.
(d) Nine weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Gallimard at the point Scene 13 occurs?
2. Why did Gallimard cease to call on Song?
3. How does Gallimard describe his meetings with Song after her weekly performances?
4. What did Helga want to know about Song's performance Gallimard had seen that night?
5. In the first scene of the play, how old is Gallimard?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)