|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Madame Butterfly, what is it that Butterfly fears from the Western man?
(a) He will love a butterfly and never let it go.
(b) He will force her to leave her family.
(c) He will catch a butterfly, pierce its heart and leave it to perish.
(d) He will kill her baby.
2. What was one outstanding feature about Isabelle that Marc remembers?
(a) She was a horrible person.
(b) She never wore underwear.
(c) She had beautiful eyes.
(d) She had the softest skin.
3. Why did Gallimard cease to call on Song?
(a) To feel the rush of power over a woman.
(b) To protect her.
(c) He was afraid of scandal.
(d) He has no interest in her.
4. Where does Scene 8 take place?
(a) The President's home.
(b) The Chinese opera house and the streets of Beijing.
(c) The Ambassador's home.
(d) A prison cell and the streets of Paris.
5. By whom does Gallimard believe he has been loved?
(a) The most beautiful woman.
(b) The perfect woman.
(c) The perfect man.
(d) The sweetest woman.
6. Who is in the framed picture that Gallimard picks up?
(a) Song's grandfather.
(c) Song's father
(d) Song's son.
7. What is Song wearing when Gallimard enters her apartment?
(b) A kimono.
(c) A full formal dress.
(d) A sheer dressing gown.
8. What event is going on in Scene 12?
(a) A reception.
(b) A crowning.
(c) An opera performance.
(d) A meeting.
9. Where did Helga go on the night Gallimard went to the opera house?
(a) The American embassy..
(b) A martial arts demonstration.
(c) The Opera House.
(d) An ambassador's party.
10. Who is Gallimard used to seeing play the lead in Madame Butterfly?
(a) Small men in drag.
(b) Huge men in bad makeup.
(c) Huge women in viking helmets.
(d) Huge women in bad makeup.
11. What does Song tell Gallimard she feels about his presence?
12. How was the woman Isabelle important in Gallimard's life?
(a) She was his sister.
(b) She was his first sexual experience.
(c) She was the first woman he ever loved.
(d) She was the first woman Marc ever loved.
13. At what time does Song call Gallimard?
(a) 4:30 PM.
(b) 4:00 PM
(c) 5:30 AM
(d) 2:00 AM
14. What is the setting of Scene 12?
(a) Song's flat.
(b) Ambassador Toulon's residence.
(c) The streets of Beijing.
(d) The American embassy.
15. What does Toulon state will not be part of Gallimard's job requirement?
(b) Good judgment.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gallimard describe his meetings with Song after her weekly performances?
2. How does Toulon say Gallimard has changed?
3. Where does Scene 13 take place?
4. What did Helga want to know about Song's performance Gallimard had seen that night?
5. What is Gallimard sick of hearing about the Chinese culture?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)