|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Song tell Gallimard she feels about his presence?
2. What is the setting of Scene 12?
(a) The streets of Beijing.
(b) Song's flat.
(c) Ambassador Toulon's residence.
(d) The American embassy.
3. What event is going on in Scene 12?
(a) A meeting.
(b) A crowning.
(c) An opera performance.
(d) A reception.
4. By what other name does Pinkerton's wife go?
(a) Lovely One.
(d) Little One.
5. In Madame Butterfly, what is it that Butterfly fears from the Western man?
(a) He will catch a butterfly, pierce its heart and leave it to perish.
(b) He will love a butterfly and never let it go.
(c) He will kill her baby.
(d) He will force her to leave her family.
6. What did Helga want to know about Song's performance Gallimard had seen that night?
(a) She wanted to know if Song sang well.
(b) She wanted to know if Song had a nice costume.
(c) She wanted to know if Song was pretty.
(d) She wanted to know if Gallimard had liked it.
7. In what year does Scene 12 take place?
8. Where does Scene 8 take place?
(a) The Chinese opera house and the streets of Beijing.
(b) The Ambassador's home.
(c) A prison cell and the streets of Paris.
(d) The President's home.
9. What was one outstanding feature about Isabelle that Marc remembers?
(a) She never wore underwear.
(b) She had beautiful eyes.
(c) She had the softest skin.
(d) She was a horrible person.
10. What does Song say is different about Gallimard that made him stand out in her audience?
(a) He is a man.
(b) He is wearing a hat.
(c) He is French.
(d) He is wearing a tie.
11. What does Butterfly use to kill herself in the opera?
(a) A knife.
(b) A gun.
(c) A sword.
(d) Her sleeves.
12. Where does Scene 13 take place?
(a) Song's apartment.
(b) The German embassy.
(c) The French embassy.
(d) Gallimard's home.
13. What does Sharpless say will be engraved on Pinkerton's tombstone?
(a) "I saved a dollar, here I lie."
(b) "I loved the perfect woman."
(c) "I loved money."
(d) "I saved a woman, here I lie."
14. During the Revolution, what signs would hang in the windows of the clubs in Shanghai?
(a) "No dogs and Chinamen."
(b) "No dogs or cats."
(c) "Whites only."
(d) "No women allowed."
15. What was Gallimard's instinct when he saw Song perform Madame Butterfly?
(a) He wanted to kill Pinkerton.
(b) He wanted to take her in his arms.
(c) He wanted her to be sad.
(d) He wanted to kill her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Scene 6 take place?
2. What is the job that Gallimard is promoted to?
3. What is Song's full name?
4. By whom does Gallimard believe he has been loved?
5. What does Toulon believe about Gallimard?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)