|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Gallimard cease to call on Song?
(a) He has no interest in her.
(b) He was afraid of scandal.
(c) To protect her.
(d) To feel the rush of power over a woman.
2. In Scene 1, in what city is Gallimard residing?
(a) Shanghai, China.
(b) Beijing, China.
(c) Versailles, France.
(d) Paris, France.
3. What does Song call Gallimard?
(a) A cad.
(b) A tiger.
(c) An idiot.
(d) A wimp.
4. In what year does Scene 12 take place?
5. What did Gallimard believe Song was doing before they part ways at the end of Scene 8?
6. In Gallimard's fantasy, who plays Pinkerton?
(a) Gallimard himself.
(b) Comrade Chin.
(c) Manuel Toulon.
7. According to Gallimard, who wrote Madame Butterfly?
(a) Giacomo Puccini.
(b) Giuseppe Verdi.
(c) Richard Wagner.
(d) William Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan.
8. Who is Gallimard used to seeing play the lead in Madame Butterfly?
(a) Huge women in bad makeup.
(b) Huge women in viking helmets.
(c) Small men in drag.
(d) Huge men in bad makeup.
9. What was Gallimard's instinct when he saw Song perform Madame Butterfly?
(a) He wanted to kill Pinkerton.
(b) He wanted her to be sad.
(c) He wanted to take her in his arms.
(d) He wanted to kill her.
10. What event is going on in Scene 12?
(a) An opera performance.
(b) A reception.
(c) A meeting.
(d) A crowning.
11. Where did Helga go on the night Gallimard went to the opera house?
(a) The American embassy..
(b) An ambassador's party.
(c) The Opera House.
(d) A martial arts demonstration.
12. What is different about the night that occurs in Scene 10?
(a) Gallimard walks Song home.
(b) Gallimard has been invited into Song's apartment.
(c) Gallimard kisses Song.
(d) Helga meets Song.
13. What does Song promise to Gallimard after her outburst?
(a) She will love him forever.
(b) She will serve him tea.
(c) She will not apologize for anything else.
(d) She will fire the servants.
14. What does Gallimard say about Song's performance?
(a) It is the first time he is angry at Pinkerton.
(b) It is the first time he sees the beauty of the story.
(c) It is the first time he understands her death.
(d) It is the first time he sees the truth of the story.
15. What was one outstanding feature about Isabelle that Marc remembers?
(a) She was a horrible person.
(b) She had the softest skin.
(c) She had beautiful eyes.
(d) She never wore underwear.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Madame Butterfly, what are the last words Butterfly sings before she kills herself?
2. During the Revolution, what signs would hang in the windows of the clubs in Shanghai?
3. What is Song's full name?
4. What does Song claim she has given to Gallimard?
5. What is the job that Gallimard is promoted to?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)