|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what location is Gallimard narrating his story?
(a) A courtroom in Paris.
(b) His flat in Paris.
(c) His flat in Beijing.
(d) A prison cell in Paris.
2. What song from Madame Butterfly underscores the scene in which Gallimard is reading Song's letters?
(a) "Butterfly's Death."
(b) "Love Duet"
(c) "The Whole World Over."
(d) "I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General."
3. What do the three people in Scene 2 think of Gallimard?
(a) They believe he is a handsome man.
(b) They believe he is not good looking.
(c) They think he is inspiring.
(d) They think he is dangerous.
4. In grammar school, what title was Gallimard given?
(a) "Least popular."
(b) "Least likely to be invited to a party."
(c) "Least likely to kiss a girl."
(d) "Least likely to succeed."
5. By whom does Gallimard believe he has been loved?
(a) The perfect woman.
(b) The perfect man.
(c) The sweetest woman.
(d) The most beautiful woman.
6. What is one of the features of Pinkerton's house?
(a) A view of the ocean.
(b) A view of the rice fields.
(c) Shag carpet.
(d) A disco mirror ball.
7. What was Gallimard's instinct when he saw Song perform Madame Butterfly?
(a) He wanted her to be sad.
(b) He wanted to kill her.
(c) He wanted to take her in his arms.
(d) He wanted to kill Pinkerton.
8. During the Revolution, what signs would hang in the windows of the clubs in Shanghai?
(a) "No dogs and Chinamen."
(b) "No women allowed."
(c) "Whites only."
(d) "No dogs or cats."
9. What is an important fact that Toulon wants Gallimard to know about their jobs at the embassy?
(a) Things will continue as normal.
(b) They will push for more power.
(c) They will watch for spies.
(d) The nature of their work is changing.
10. What does Song claim she has given to Gallimard?
(a) Her shame.
(b) Her soul.
(c) Her love.
(d) Her life.
11. Who are the two main characters of the opera, Madame Butterfly?
(a) Cio-Cio-San and Suzuki.
(b) Cio-Cio-San and Sharpless.
(c) Pinkerton and his American wife.
(d) Pinkerton and Cio-Cio-San
12. What did Helga want to know about Song's performance Gallimard had seen that night?
(a) She wanted to know if Song had a nice costume.
(b) She wanted to know if Song sang well.
(c) She wanted to know if Song was pretty.
(d) She wanted to know if Gallimard had liked it.
13. What event is going on in Scene 12?
(a) An opera performance.
(b) A reception.
(c) A meeting.
(d) A crowning.
14. What does Song get upset about when she enters the room?
(a) Her servants haven't taken his coat.
(b) Gallimard is upset.
(c) Her servants are ignoring her.
(d) Her servants haven't poured any tea.
15. Why did Isabelle have sex with Gallimard?
(a) She was lonely.
(b) She was in love with him.
(c) She wanted revenge on Marc for rejecting her.
(d) Marc arranged it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toulon believe about Gallimard?
2. What did Gallimard replace with practicality?
3. What does Gallimard ask Song?
4. In what year does Scene 12 take place?
5. How many women has Marc slept with since he got married?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)