|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gallimard sick of hearing about the Chinese culture?
(a) That it is new.
(b) That it is submissive.
(c) That it is old.
(d) That is it small.
2. What does Gallimard consider himself to be?
(a) A perfect man.
(b) A failure.
(c) An old man.
(d) A celebrity.
3. What part of Song's letter does Gallimard quote for her?
(a) "I have already given you my heart."
(b) "I have already given you my shame."
(c) "I have already give you my soul."
(d) "I have already given you my life."
4. What does Gallimard say about Song's performance?
(a) It is the first time he is angry at Pinkerton.
(b) It is the first time he understands her death.
(c) It is the first time he sees the truth of the story.
(d) It is the first time he sees the beauty of the story.
5. Who plays the character of Suzuki in Gallimard's dream?
(b) Comrade Chin.
6. According to Gallimard, who wrote Madame Butterfly?
(a) Giuseppe Verdi.
(b) Richard Wagner.
(c) Giacomo Puccini.
(d) William Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan.
7. What does Song tell Gallimard she feels about his presence?
8. How much does Pinkerton pay for Butterfly?
(a) 100 dollars.
(b) 100 yen
(c) 200 yen.
(d) 200 dollars.
9. What kind of woman did Gallimard marry?
(a) A quiet woman.
(b) A sweet woman.
(c) An heiress.
(d) An older woman.
10. Who are the two main characters of the opera, Madame Butterfly?
(a) Pinkerton and his American wife.
(b) Cio-Cio-San and Suzuki.
(c) Cio-Cio-San and Sharpless.
(d) Pinkerton and Cio-Cio-San
11. Who is Gallimard used to seeing play the lead in Madame Butterfly?
(a) Huge women in bad makeup.
(b) Huge women in viking helmets.
(c) Huge men in bad makeup.
(d) Small men in drag.
12. What does Sharpless say will be engraved on Pinkerton's tombstone?
(a) "I loved money."
(b) "I loved the perfect woman."
(c) "I saved a dollar, here I lie."
(d) "I saved a woman, here I lie."
13. Where does Scene 11 take place?
(a) The Austrian embassy
(b) The German embassy.
(c) The French embassy.
(d) The American embassy.
14. What does Gallimard believe about God?
(a) He sees Gallimard's crimes.
(b) He does not exist.
(c) He is all-powerful.
(d) He is a man.
15. What is one of the features of Pinkerton's house?
(a) A view of the ocean.
(b) Shag carpet.
(c) A disco mirror ball.
(d) A view of the rice fields.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gallimard replace with practicality?
2. What does Song claim she has given to Gallimard?
3. Who appears in Gallimard's dream in Scene 9?
4. What does Song get upset about when she enters the room?
5. What was one outstanding feature about Isabelle that Marc remembers?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)