|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Song say is different about Gallimard that made him stand out in her audience?
(a) He is French.
(b) He is wearing a tie.
(c) He is wearing a hat.
(d) He is a man.
2. What does Song think of the story of Madame Butterfly?
(a) She thinks it is ridiculous.
(b) She thinks it is the perfect opera.
(c) She thinks it is beautiful.
(d) She thinks it is boring.
3. How does Gallimard describe his meetings with Song after her weekly performances?
(c) Full of pleasure.
4. What is Song afraid of as she is entertaining Gallimard in her parlor?
(a) Hoping for too much.
(b) A beating from her father.
5. What does Gallimard fear when Toulon is talking to him?
(a) He will be fired.
(b) He is going to kill him.
(c) He will take Song away from him.
(d) He cannot be saved by love.
6. What was Gallimard's instinct when he saw Song perform Madame Butterfly?
(a) He wanted to kill her.
(b) He wanted her to be sad.
(c) He wanted to take her in his arms.
(d) He wanted to kill Pinkerton.
7. What does Toulon believe about Gallimard?
(a) He is a passionate man.
(b) He will change the world.
(c) He is tidy and efficient.
(d) He is too quiet.
8. In Madame Butterfly, what is it that Butterfly fears from the Western man?
(a) He will kill her baby.
(b) He will catch a butterfly, pierce its heart and leave it to perish.
(c) He will force her to leave her family.
(d) He will love a butterfly and never let it go.
9. What does Gallimard believe about God?
(a) He is a man.
(b) He is all-powerful.
(c) He does not exist.
(d) He sees Gallimard's crimes.
10. In Scene 1, in what city is Gallimard residing?
(a) Shanghai, China.
(b) Paris, France.
(c) Beijing, China.
(d) Versailles, France.
11. Why did Gallimard cease to call on Song?
(a) He was afraid of scandal.
(b) To protect her.
(c) He has no interest in her.
(d) To feel the rush of power over a woman.
12. What does Toulon state will not be part of Gallimard's job requirement?
(d) Good judgment.
13. According to Gallimard, who wrote Madame Butterfly?
(a) William Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan.
(b) Giuseppe Verdi.
(c) Giacomo Puccini.
(d) Richard Wagner.
14. In Madame Butterfly, what are the last words Butterfly sings before she kills herself?
(a) "Life is no worse than death. This life is dishonor."
(b) "Death with honor is better than life. Life with dishonor."
(c) "Death in life is worse than death. Death is life."
(d) "Death without honor is worse in life. Life is dishonor."
15. What is the famous duet that Pinkerton and Sharpless sing together?
(a) "The Whole World Over."
(b) "The Lass that Loved a Sailor."
(c) "The Marriage Duet."
(d) "The Love Duet."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Isabelle have sex with Gallimard?
2. Where does Scene 11 take place?
3. What event is going on in Scene 12?
4. What does Song say she has never done before?
5. Who is the American consul character in Madame Butterfly?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)