|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Scene 12 take place?
2. Who is the American consul character in Madame Butterfly?
3. From what location is Gallimard narrating his story?
(a) His flat in Beijing.
(b) His flat in Paris.
(c) A prison cell in Paris.
(d) A courtroom in Paris.
4. What does Song say is one of a Westerner's favorite fantasies?
(a) The submissive Oriental woman with the cruel white man.
(b) The submissive white women with the cruel Oriental man.
(c) The meek husband and the brave Oriental wife.
(d) The submissive Oriental woman and the shy white man.
5. What does Song claim she has given to Gallimard?
(a) Her shame.
(b) Her soul.
(c) Her love.
(d) Her life.
6. What is Song wearing when Gallimard enters her apartment?
(a) A sheer dressing gown.
(b) A full formal dress.
(c) A kimono.
7. What does Gallimard believe about God?
(a) He is a man.
(b) He sees Gallimard's crimes.
(c) He is all-powerful.
(d) He does not exist.
8. What does Sharpless say will be engraved on Pinkerton's tombstone?
(a) "I loved the perfect woman."
(b) "I loved money."
(c) "I saved a dollar, here I lie."
(d) "I saved a woman, here I lie."
9. In what year does Scene 4 take place?
(a) Present day.
10. What is the setting of Scene 2?
(a) A party in a chic parlor.
(b) The streets of Beijing.
(c) A courtroom.
(d) A flat in China.
11. What do the three people in Scene 2 think of Gallimard?
(a) They think he is inspiring.
(b) They believe he is not good looking.
(c) They believe he is a handsome man.
(d) They think he is dangerous.
12. What does Song promise to Gallimard after her outburst?
(a) She will not apologize for anything else.
(b) She will serve him tea.
(c) She will love him forever.
(d) She will fire the servants.
13. Who appears in Gallimard's dream in Scene 9?
(b) The magazine model.
14. In the first scene of the play, how old is Gallimard?
15. What is one of the features of Pinkerton's house?
(a) A disco mirror ball.
(b) A view of the rice fields.
(c) Shag carpet.
(d) A view of the ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what other name does Pinkerton's wife go?
2. How does Gallimard describe his meetings with Song after her weekly performances?
3. What did Gallimard replace with practicality?
4. Finish the sentence: "...there's no guarantee of failure in life like ________"
5. In Scene 1, in what city is Gallimard residing?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)