|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did it take before Gallimard went to see Song perform at the opera house?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Four days.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Four months.
2. What is the setting of Scene 12?
(a) The streets of Beijing.
(b) The American embassy.
(c) Song's flat.
(d) Ambassador Toulon's residence.
3. In the first scene of the play, how old is Gallimard?
4. What kind of woman did Gallimard marry?
(a) An heiress.
(b) A quiet woman.
(c) A sweet woman.
(d) An older woman.
5. What does Song claim she has given to Gallimard?
(a) Her shame.
(b) Her soul.
(c) Her life.
(d) Her love.
6. What does Song get upset about when she enters the room?
(a) Her servants are ignoring her.
(b) Her servants haven't poured any tea.
(c) Her servants haven't taken his coat.
(d) Gallimard is upset.
7. Who is the American consul character in Madame Butterfly?
8. What did Gallimard believe Song was doing before they part ways at the end of Scene 8?
9. What does Gallimard say about Song's performance?
(a) It is the first time he sees the truth of the story.
(b) It is the first time he understands her death.
(c) It is the first time he is angry at Pinkerton.
(d) It is the first time he sees the beauty of the story.
10. From what location is Gallimard narrating his story?
(a) His flat in Paris.
(b) A prison cell in Paris.
(c) A courtroom in Paris.
(d) His flat in Beijing.
11. Who appears in Gallimard's dream in Scene 9?
(d) The magazine model.
12. What does Gallimard ask Song?
(a) "Who is Butterfly?"
(b) "Why me?"
(c) "Are you my Butterfly?"
(d) "Are you the one?"
13. Why did Gallimard cease to call on Song?
(a) To protect her.
(b) To feel the rush of power over a woman.
(c) He was afraid of scandal.
(d) He has no interest in her.
14. What does Marc compare a pool full of naked women to?
(a) A scandal waiting to happen.
(b) A barrel of monkeys.
(c) A grab bag.
(d) A fish pond.
15. In Madame Butterfly, how old is Butterfly?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the features of Pinkerton's house?
2. What didn't Gallimard like about Song's second letter?
3. What does Song call Gallimard?
4. In what year does Scene 4 take place?
5. Where does Scene 13 take place?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)