|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gallimard ask Song?
(a) "Are you the one?"
(b) "Why me?"
(c) "Who is Butterfly?"
(d) "Are you my Butterfly?"
2. Why did Isabelle have sex with Gallimard?
(a) She wanted revenge on Marc for rejecting her.
(b) Marc arranged it.
(c) She was in love with him.
(d) She was lonely.
3. Who plays the character of Suzuki in Gallimard's dream?
(b) Comrade Chin.
4. Who is Gallimard used to seeing play the lead in Madame Butterfly?
(a) Huge women in bad makeup.
(b) Huge men in bad makeup.
(c) Huge women in viking helmets.
(d) Small men in drag.
5. In Madame Butterfly, what is it that Butterfly fears from the Western man?
(a) He will kill her baby.
(b) He will force her to leave her family.
(c) He will catch a butterfly, pierce its heart and leave it to perish.
(d) He will love a butterfly and never let it go.
6. In Act 1, Scene 7, when Gallimard is speaking to Helga, what does he say about the Chinese?
(a) They are an amazing people.
(b) They are an incredibly arrogant people.
(c) They are a young people.
(d) They are a people with a rich heritage.
7. In the stage directions, who does David Henry Hwang compare Song to in appearance?
(a) Rita Moreno.
(b) Nancy Kwan.
(c) Anna May Wong.
(d) Lana Turner.
8. Who appears in Gallimard's dream in Scene 9?
(d) The magazine model.
9. What was Gallimard's instinct when he saw Song perform Madame Butterfly?
(a) He wanted her to be sad.
(b) He wanted to take her in his arms.
(c) He wanted to kill Pinkerton.
(d) He wanted to kill her.
10. Where does Scene 11 take place?
(a) The German embassy.
(b) The American embassy.
(c) The French embassy.
(d) The Austrian embassy
11. What didn't Gallimard like about Song's second letter?
(a) She called him "friend."
(b) She said she would tell his wife.
(c) She was very hateful.
(d) She said she missed him.
12. What was one outstanding feature about Isabelle that Marc remembers?
(a) She never wore underwear.
(b) She had the softest skin.
(c) She had beautiful eyes.
(d) She was a horrible person.
13. How much time has passed since Gallimard's last meeting with Song by Scene 13?
(a) Eight weeks.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Nine weeks.
(d) Eight months.
14. In Gallimard's fantasy, who plays Pinkerton?
(a) Gallimard himself.
(c) Comrade Chin.
(d) Manuel Toulon.
15. Finish the sentence: "...there's no guarantee of failure in life like ________"
(a) "...finding happiness in love."
(b) "...failure as a child."
(c) "...a depressing mairage."
(d) "...happiness in high school."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Song claim she has given to Gallimard?
2. What does Song say she has never done before?
3. What it the setting of Scene 6?
4. What does Song say is undervalued in the West?
5. What does Song say about the soul of China?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)