|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the three people in Scene 2 think of Gallimard?
(a) They think he is inspiring.
(b) They believe he is a handsome man.
(c) They think he is dangerous.
(d) They believe he is not good looking.
2. How much does Pinkerton pay for Butterfly?
(a) 100 dollars.
(b) 200 dollars.
(c) 100 yen
(d) 200 yen.
3. Who plays the character of Suzuki in Gallimard's dream?
(b) Comrade Chin.
4. What is the job that Gallimard is promoted to?
5. How old is Gallimard at the point Scene 13 occurs?
6. Why did Gallimard cease to call on Song?
(a) He was afraid of scandal.
(b) To protect her.
(c) He has no interest in her.
(d) To feel the rush of power over a woman.
7. Who is Gallimard used to seeing play the lead in Madame Butterfly?
(a) Huge women in viking helmets.
(b) Huge men in bad makeup.
(c) Huge women in bad makeup.
(d) Small men in drag.
8. How long did it take before Gallimard went to see Song perform at the opera house?
(a) Four months.
(b) Four days.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Four weeks.
9. Who appears in Gallimard's dream in Scene 9?
(d) The magazine model.
10. What is Song afraid of as she is entertaining Gallimard in her parlor?
(b) A beating from her father.
(c) Hoping for too much.
11. How much time has passed since Gallimard's last meeting with Song by Scene 13?
(a) Eight months.
(b) Nine weeks.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Eight weeks.
12. What does Gallimard consider himself to be?
(a) A perfect man.
(b) A failure.
(c) A celebrity.
(d) An old man.
13. In Madame Butterfly, what are the last words Butterfly sings before she kills herself?
(a) "Death without honor is worse in life. Life is dishonor."
(b) "Death in life is worse than death. Death is life."
(c) "Death with honor is better than life. Life with dishonor."
(d) "Life is no worse than death. This life is dishonor."
14. What does Marc compare a pool full of naked women to?
(a) A grab bag.
(b) A fish pond.
(c) A scandal waiting to happen.
(d) A barrel of monkeys.
15. What was Gallimard's instinct when he saw Song perform Madame Butterfly?
(a) He wanted to kill Pinkerton.
(b) He wanted her to be sad.
(c) He wanted to kill her.
(d) He wanted to take her in his arms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event is going on in Scene 12?
2. In Madame Butterfly, what is it that Butterfly fears from the Western man?
3. How does Toulon say Gallimard has changed?
4. What does Song call Gallimard?
5. What does Gallimard say about Song's performance?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)