|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gallimard sick of hearing about the Chinese culture?
(a) That is it small.
(b) That it is old.
(c) That it is submissive.
(d) That it is new.
2. What does Song tell Gallimard she feels about his presence?
3. By whom does Gallimard believe he has been loved?
(a) The perfect woman.
(b) The sweetest woman.
(c) The perfect man.
(d) The most beautiful woman.
4. Why did Gallimard get scared when Isabelle screamed that she was coming?
(a) He thought she meant someone was actually coming.
(b) He didn't want it to end.
(c) He was embarrassed to be seen with her.
(d) He didn't like loud noises.
5. What does Gallimard consider himself to be?
(a) A celebrity.
(b) A perfect man.
(c) A failure.
(d) An old man.
6. How old is Gallimard at the point Scene 13 occurs?
7. What does Song think of the story of Madame Butterfly?
(a) She thinks it is beautiful.
(b) She thinks it is boring.
(c) She thinks it is the perfect opera.
(d) She thinks it is ridiculous.
8. Who are the two main characters of the opera, Madame Butterfly?
(a) Cio-Cio-San and Sharpless.
(b) Cio-Cio-San and Suzuki.
(c) Pinkerton and Cio-Cio-San
(d) Pinkerton and his American wife.
9. What does Song hate about her audience?
(a) Their smell.
(b) Their teeth.
(c) Their social bearing.
(d) Their age.
10. Why did Gallimard cease to call on Song?
(a) To feel the rush of power over a woman.
(b) He has no interest in her.
(c) He was afraid of scandal.
(d) To protect her.
11. According to Gallimard, how does Manuel Toulon think of himself?
(a) As a mother hen.
(b) As a proud boss.
(c) As God.
(d) As a servant of the people.
12. What does Song say is different about Gallimard that made him stand out in her audience?
(a) He is wearing a tie.
(b) He is French.
(c) He is a man.
(d) He is wearing a hat.
13. Who is the American consul character in Madame Butterfly?
14. Where does Scene 13 take place?
(a) The French embassy.
(b) Gallimard's home.
(c) The German embassy.
(d) Song's apartment.
15. Who is Gallimard used to seeing play the lead in Madame Butterfly?
(a) Huge men in bad makeup.
(b) Huge women in viking helmets.
(c) Small men in drag.
(d) Huge women in bad makeup.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Song's full name?
2. What event is going on in Scene 12?
3. In the stage directions, who does David Henry Hwang compare Song to in appearance?
4. In Act 1, Scene 7, when Gallimard is speaking to Helga, what does he say about the Chinese?
5. How large is Gallimard's cell?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)