|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character does Marc appear as in Act 1, Scene 11?
(a) A beuracrat.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A servant.
(d) A king.
2. In Madame Butterfly, how old is Butterfly?
3. What is Song wearing when Gallimard enters her apartment?
(b) A full formal dress.
(c) A sheer dressing gown.
(d) A kimono.
4. From what location is Gallimard narrating his story?
(a) His flat in Paris.
(b) A prison cell in Paris.
(c) His flat in Beijing.
(d) A courtroom in Paris.
5. What does Song get upset about when she enters the room?
(a) Her servants haven't taken his coat.
(b) Her servants haven't poured any tea.
(c) Her servants are ignoring her.
(d) Gallimard is upset.
6. Who is the American consul character in Madame Butterfly?
7. Why did Gallimard get scared when Isabelle screamed that she was coming?
(a) He thought she meant someone was actually coming.
(b) He didn't want it to end.
(c) He was embarrassed to be seen with her.
(d) He didn't like loud noises.
8. Why did Gallimard cease to call on Song?
(a) To feel the rush of power over a woman.
(b) He was afraid of scandal.
(c) He has no interest in her.
(d) To protect her.
9. What does Song say is different about Gallimard that made him stand out in her audience?
(a) He is a man.
(b) He is wearing a tie.
(c) He is wearing a hat.
(d) He is French.
10. During the Revolution, what signs would hang in the windows of the clubs in Shanghai?
(a) "No dogs and Chinamen."
(b) "Whites only."
(c) "No dogs or cats."
(d) "No women allowed."
11. Where does Scene 13 take place?
(a) Gallimard's home.
(b) Song's apartment.
(c) The German embassy.
(d) The French embassy.
12. What didn't Gallimard like about Song's second letter?
(a) She was very hateful.
(b) She said she would tell his wife.
(c) She called him "friend."
(d) She said she missed him.
13. What is Song's full name?
(a) Song Gallimard.
(b) Song Long.
(c) Song Suzuki.
(d) Song Liling.
14. In Scene 1, in what city is Gallimard residing?
(a) Paris, France.
(b) Shanghai, China.
(c) Versailles, France.
(d) Beijing, China.
15. What does Toulon believe about Gallimard?
(a) He is tidy and efficient.
(b) He will change the world.
(c) He is too quiet.
(d) He is a passionate man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gallimard replace with practicality?
2. What is Gallimard thinking when he is having sex with Isabelle?
3. What is the job that Gallimard is promoted to?
4. What does Song claim she has given to Gallimard?
5. In what year does Scene 6 take place?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)