|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scenes 5 and 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret can't Toulon keep from Gallimard?
(a) He has heard Gallimard is leaving his wife.
(b) He knows Song's work.
(c) He wants to fire Gallimard.
(d) He has heard that Gallimard has a native mistress.
2. In the stage directions, who does David Henry Hwang compare Song to in appearance?
(a) Nancy Kwan.
(b) Lana Turner.
(c) Rita Moreno.
(d) Anna May Wong.
3. What does Gallimard ask Song?
(a) "Are you the one?"
(b) "Why me?"
(c) "Who is Butterfly?"
(d) "Are you my Butterfly?"
4. In Madame Butterfly, what is it that Butterfly fears from the Western man?
(a) He will kill her baby.
(b) He will catch a butterfly, pierce its heart and leave it to perish.
(c) He will force her to leave her family.
(d) He will love a butterfly and never let it go.
5. From what location is Gallimard narrating his story?
(a) A courtroom in Paris.
(b) His flat in Paris.
(c) His flat in Beijing.
(d) A prison cell in Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Scene 8 take place?
2. In Scene 1, in what city is Gallimard residing?
3. What does Butterfly use to kill herself in the opera?
4. What is one of Gallimard's reasons for wanting to see Song naked?
5. What does Song say about the soul of China?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)