|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scenes 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the two main characters of the opera, Madame Butterfly?
(a) Cio-Cio-San and Sharpless.
(b) Pinkerton and his American wife.
(c) Cio-Cio-San and Suzuki.
(d) Pinkerton and Cio-Cio-San
2. What is an important fact that Toulon wants Gallimard to know about their jobs at the embassy?
(a) They will watch for spies.
(b) They will push for more power.
(c) Things will continue as normal.
(d) The nature of their work is changing.
3. In Act 1, Scene 7, when Gallimard is speaking to Helga, what does he say about the Chinese?
(a) They are a young people.
(b) They are an incredibly arrogant people.
(c) They are an amazing people.
(d) They are a people with a rich heritage.
4. How long did it take before Gallimard went to see Song perform at the opera house?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) Four months.
(c) Four days.
(d) Four weeks.
5. What does Toulon find irritating?
(a) France's cowardliness.
(b) America's growing angry attitude.
(c) America moving into Vietnam to grab the territory
(d) France's imperialism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Song say is one of a Westerner's favorite fantasies?
2. How much time has passed since Gallimard's last meeting with Song by Scene 13?
3. What does Butterfly use to kill herself in the opera?
4. What song from Madame Butterfly underscores the scene in which Gallimard is reading Song's letters?
5. What does Song say she has never done before?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)