|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state does Elizabeth find Henchard's gift?
2. What does Michael do with his last possessions?
3. Where is Henchard when the commotions of the scandal are heard from town?
4. What new information keeps Donald from leaving town?
5. What section of town does Michael now live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Any drama in Elizabeth's life is not from her own doing. She lives to see how others bear good and bad circumstances. As Elizabeth lives her life, what overall lesson does she learn?
2. After Lucetta's death, Donald and Elizabeth are seen in courtship. Compare and contrast this courtship to their first one before Lucetta came to Casterbridge.
3. When Henchard and Lucetta meet at the Ring, Henchard is agreeable. Lucetta plans for that night to get what she wants. How does this meeting show Lucetta's power of persuasion?
4. Whittle is not a main character, and yet plays a significant role at the end of Michael's life. Why does Hardy choose Whittle to care for Henchard? What does Whittle represent?
5. Michael shows changes for the better. But there are still times that Michael cannot empathize and understand another person's position. How does he show this lack of understanding that people behave differently than he?
6. Henchard worries that Newson returns and unfolds the truth to Elizabeth. Yet, when Elizabeth goes to Michael for advice and meeting an anonymous person, Henchard tells her to go. Henchard is aware this person is Newson, so why does Henchard not tell her it is dangerous or give some excuse? Why does he lead her to the truth despite knowing he loses her?
7. In the midst of Lucetta's illness, Michael begins to see Elizabeth in a whole new way? What sparks this feeling?
8. Of all the places that Lucetta chooses to meet Michael, why at the Ring? Hardy sets it there in the novel, but Lucetta is unaware that Susan and Michael meet there before. What is the importance of the Ring in this chapter?
9. During Henchard's bankruptcy hearing, Michael shows appreciation towards the creditors. Summarize Henchard's last act that evokes sympathy from his creditors.
10. How is the public treating Henchard and Donald after the Royal Personage passes through town? How is this different from earlier times? What does this say about the public?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is full of deceit, lies, and pure selfishness. In chapter 24, Elizabeth talks of shadows that Lucetta does not even know about. However, Lucetta, as well as several others in the novel, have shadows of their own. Choose a character and describe their "shadow" that follows them wherever they go. Who is the character? What is the "shadow?" What part does the person have in creating that shadow? Can the character ever rid of it or is really like that of a real shadow, so that wherever there is light, the shadow shows?
Essay Topic 2
Whittle is a small character throughout the novel, but is the last person to see Henchard before he dies. Describe Whittle's will to help Henchard and what it means in the novel to have a minor character help Henchard in his loneliest time.
Essay Topic 3
Although there is resentment towards the upper class from the lower class, there is a sense of forgiveness amongst them. Why are the lower class so much more forgiving to one another? Why do the upper class lack this sense of unity within the class?
This section contains 1,685 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)