Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henchard's will request?
2. How does Henchard show that he now thinks of Elizabeth above himself?
3. Who nurses Henchard on his deathbed?
4. What makes Farfrae fall out of favor with the lower class?
5. Newly bankrupt and now a journeyman, what is the only thing Michael looks forward to?
Essay Topic 1
Michael Henchard is not adamant of women, but three women play major roles in his life. Compare and contrast Susan, Lucetta, and Elizabeth. How are they alike, different? What do each of them offer Henchard that he involves them in his life? What does Henchard want from each of the women? Are they the same things or different? How do each of his relationship begin and end with each of them? Is there a pattern?
Essay Topic 2
Hardy refers to "man as the blot on an otherwise kindly universe," but continues to note that there are times men are peaceful while the beasts in animals come out. According to Hardy, what is the nature of man? How does Michael Henchard represent man?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 40, Michael begins to go through a change that is more powerful than previous times. Describe the epiphanies Michael learns about himself in this chapter.
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)