Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henchard's will request?
2. How does Henchard show that he now thinks of Elizabeth above himself?
3. Who nurses Henchard on his deathbed?
4. What makes Farfrae fall out of favor with the lower class?
5. Newly bankrupt and now a journeyman, what is the only thing Michael looks forward to?
Essay Topic 1
When Susan learns Henchard is the mayor, she is afraid to meet him, due to his success. Susan partially expects him to be in the stocks or in debtor's prison, so why does she search for him? Since he is well-off, why the fear? Is this expected from her? What does Susan want from Michael Henchard?
Essay Topic 2
Whittle is a small character throughout the novel, but is the last person to see Henchard before he dies. Describe Whittle's will to help Henchard and what it means in the novel to have a minor character help Henchard in his loneliest time.
Essay Topic 3
When Susan dies, she is buried at the Roman grounds. Hardy describes the area as full of deceptive history that still haunts. Compare Susan's life before and after her death to the Roman grounds. How is Susan's life full of deception and how does it still haunt those that are living?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)