Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henchard's will request?
2. How does Henchard show that he now thinks of Elizabeth above himself?
3. Who nurses Henchard on his deathbed?
4. What makes Farfrae fall out of favor with the lower class?
5. Newly bankrupt and now a journeyman, what is the only thing Michael looks forward to?
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 40, Michael begins to go through a change that is more powerful than previous times. Describe the epiphanies Michael learns about himself in this chapter.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Michael's progression from a bull to a goldfinch. How does Michael resemble a raging bull? A caged goldfinch? What creates this progression? Why does Hardy use these animals in particular?
Essay Topic 3
Susan lives for eighteen years with Newson without much trouble. However, once she finds out that her marriage is not binding, she is distressed. What does this say about how Susan views marriage? Why does the legality of the marriage have such an effect on her? Why does she stay? Is marriage about love? An obedience? A law?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)