|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes greater enmity between Michael and Henchard?
(a) Donald pushes Henchard in public.
(b) Lucetta tells Donald the truth about her affair.
(c) Donald is forced to dismiss Henchard as a journeyman.
(d) Henchard pushes Donald in public.
2. What does Henchard warn Lucetta?
(a) Henchard challenges Farfrae to a fight.
(b) That if she is not nice, he tells Donald the truth.
(c) That over time, Henchard expects partnership or the truth of the affair is revealed.
(d) Though Henchard may not say a word, Farfrae hears the truth somewhere.
3. On the day of the skimmity ride, who knows where Donald goes to?
(a) Lucetta and Elizabeth.
(b) Henchard and Whittle.
(c) Whittle and Elizabeth.
(d) Lucetta and Henchard.
4. What makes Henchard change his mind about his fight even before it begins?
(a) Donald sings a reminiscent song.
(b) Henchard knows he is much too strong for Donald.
(c) Donald remembers Farfrae gives him a job.
(d) Michael sees Lucetta sitting innocently in the carriage.
5. How does Newson show he is a good father?
(a) Newson keeps a lock of Elizabeth's hair at all times to remember her.
(b) He finds Elizabeth to help financially support her.
(c) He buys Elizabeth a store to help her make an income.
(d) He brings Elizabeth many gifts on his return.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unexpected thing does Michael do at the parade?
2. What does Henchard's will request?
3. Michael is paranoid that Donald ___________.
4. What becomes of Newson?
5. Newson confesses he fakes his death. Why does Newson fake it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whittle is not a main character, and yet plays a significant role at the end of Michael's life. Why does Hardy choose Whittle to care for Henchard? What does Whittle represent?
2. Of all the places that Lucetta chooses to meet Michael, why at the Ring? Hardy sets it there in the novel, but Lucetta is unaware that Susan and Michael meet there before. What is the importance of the Ring in this chapter?
3. When Henchard goes bankrupt and feels shame, he turns to Jopp. Despite his harsh behavior towards Jopp, why does Henchard turn to him?
4. Henchard worries that Newson returns and unfolds the truth to Elizabeth. Yet, when Elizabeth goes to Michael for advice and meeting an anonymous person, Henchard tells her to go. Henchard is aware this person is Newson, so why does Henchard not tell her it is dangerous or give some excuse? Why does he lead her to the truth despite knowing he loses her?
5. In chapter 42, Michael disagrees about some of Elizabeth's decisions. How does Michael show that he is actively changing for the better?
6. After a visit to Ten Hatches Hole, Michael goes back to see Elizabeth. Henchard refers to himself as unlearned and ignorant. How does this show how Michael thinks differently of Elizabeth, even though he speaks about himself?
7. In Lucetta's illness and death, how does Lucetta manage to manipulate the people around her? How does her reaction to the effigy, intentional or not, play her "practicable weapon"?
8. Michael sees his effigy in the river and begins to lose any composure he has left. What is Michael thinking when he realizes what the image is?
9. Henchard reads Lucetta's letters aloud to Farfrae. Although the author is unknown to Farfrae, what do the letters say about the woman who writes them?
10. After Henchard's bankruptcy, Henchard becomes an associate of the lower class. He now works beside them, dresses in shabby clothing, and lives in the same vicinity. But how is Henchard different from the lower class? What large difference do he and Jopp have despite their similar circumstances?
This section contains 1,629 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)