|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henchard buy for Elizabeth?
(a) A goldfinch.
(d) A new dress.
2. Who warms Donald about the happenings at the Three Mariners?
(c) Lawyer Joyce.
3. How does Donald show thanks to Henchard for his attempt to help the night Lucetta dies?
(a) Donald offers Henchard a seed store.
(b) Donald invites Henchard over for supper.
(c) Farfrae sends Henchard a foodbasket.
(d) Donald gives a cordial handshake.
4. Who does Michael turn to when he goes bankrupt?
(a) Councilman Tubb.
5. What causes greater enmity between Michael and Henchard?
(a) Henchard pushes Donald in public.
(b) Lucetta tells Donald the truth about her affair.
(c) Donald is forced to dismiss Henchard as a journeyman.
(d) Donald pushes Henchard in public.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Michael to see Elizabeth in a new light?
2. What does Henchard warn Lucetta?
3. Where does Farfrae often court Elizabeth?
4. Newson is ______ Henchard and his lies.
5. Who nurses Henchard on his deathbed?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Michael pins Donald and is in a position to throw him down the trap door, Donald yells, "... take it, take it! Ye've wished to long enough!" What effect do these words have on Michael? If Donald does not said them, what happens?
2. After Lucetta's death, Donald and Elizabeth are seen in courtship. Compare and contrast this courtship to their first one before Lucetta came to Casterbridge.
3. Henchard reads Lucetta's letters aloud to Farfrae. Although the author is unknown to Farfrae, what do the letters say about the woman who writes them?
4. After Henchard's bankruptcy, Henchard becomes an associate of the lower class. He now works beside them, dresses in shabby clothing, and lives in the same vicinity. But how is Henchard different from the lower class? What large difference do he and Jopp have despite their similar circumstances?
5. In the midst of Lucetta's illness, Michael begins to see Elizabeth in a whole new way? What sparks this feeling?
6. During Henchard's bankruptcy hearing, Michael shows appreciation towards the creditors. Summarize Henchard's last act that evokes sympathy from his creditors.
7. Henchard worries that Newson returns and unfolds the truth to Elizabeth. Yet, when Elizabeth goes to Michael for advice and meeting an anonymous person, Henchard tells her to go. Henchard is aware this person is Newson, so why does Henchard not tell her it is dangerous or give some excuse? Why does he lead her to the truth despite knowing he loses her?
8. Of all the places that Lucetta chooses to meet Michael, why at the Ring? Hardy sets it there in the novel, but Lucetta is unaware that Susan and Michael meet there before. What is the importance of the Ring in this chapter?
9. Longways and a couple of other men do not like the idea behind the "skimmity ride". Longways sends Donald away to help him avoid embarrassment. Why does he do this for Farfrae but not for Lucetta?
10. Michael decides to buy a wedding present for Elizabeth. Without much money, he settles on a caged goldfinch. What is the significance of the goldfinch? What does it symbolize?
This section contains 1,518 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)