|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who warms Donald about the happenings at the Three Mariners?
(b) Lawyer Joyce.
2. What makes Elizabeth wary of Henchard's hatred toward Farfrae?
(a) Elizabeth is afraid he hurts Lucetta to revenge Farfrae.
(b) Elizabeth would rather have Henchard focus his hate on Lucetta.
(c) She believes he does something dangerous to Farfrae.
(d) She is dubious of Michael's courage to revenge Farfrae.
3. What is the motive behind the "skimmity ride"?
(a) Cuxsom is in love with Henchard.
(b) Pure fun against the upper class.
(c) The lower class hates Farfrae.
(d) The furmity woman wants to revenge the town.
4. Newson is ______ Henchard and his lies.
(a) Appalled by.
(b) Worried about.
(c) Angry at.
(d) Undaunted by.
5. How do Henchard's former employees view their new boss?
(a) They are less fearful of him.
(b) They like him less because he pays less.
(c) They believe the new boss is equal in every way to Henchard.
(d) The man is respectable, but not as hearty and friendly as Henchard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What big celebration is coming up in Casterbridge?
2. Jopp feels _______ about Lucetta's condition.
3. What new information keeps Donald from leaving town?
4. How does Newson show he is a good father?
5. What does Henchard ponder while at Ten Hatches Hole?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Henchard's bankruptcy, Henchard becomes an associate of the lower class. He now works beside them, dresses in shabby clothing, and lives in the same vicinity. But how is Henchard different from the lower class? What large difference do he and Jopp have despite their similar circumstances?
2. Describe the events that inhibit the law enforcers to promptly find the perpetrators of the skimmity ride.
3. In the midst of Lucetta's illness, Michael begins to see Elizabeth in a whole new way? What sparks this feeling?
4. In Lucetta's illness and death, how does Lucetta manage to manipulate the people around her? How does her reaction to the effigy, intentional or not, play her "practicable weapon"?
5. Lucetta has a brief encounter with Henchard on the farm. In her anger, she is unable to speak her mind right away and leaves. Angry at Henchard's approach, she writes him a letter to stop being so cruel. How does this show Lucetta's inability to think ahead and learn her mistakes?
6. When Michael pins Donald and is in a position to throw him down the trap door, Donald yells, "... take it, take it! Ye've wished to long enough!" What effect do these words have on Michael? If Donald does not said them, what happens?
7. When Henchard goes bankrupt and feels shame, he turns to Jopp. Despite his harsh behavior towards Jopp, why does Henchard turn to him?
8. Elizabeth is an independent woman who likes to take walks along Budmouth Road to the sea. It is a secret that she does not tell Farfrae. What is this secret and why is the sea important to her?
9. In chapter 32, what is becoming apparent of Elizabeth Jane? How is she changing? Is she the same person as when she lives with Henchard years before?
10. Henchard worries that Newson returns and unfolds the truth to Elizabeth. Yet, when Elizabeth goes to Michael for advice and meeting an anonymous person, Henchard tells her to go. Henchard is aware this person is Newson, so why does Henchard not tell her it is dangerous or give some excuse? Why does he lead her to the truth despite knowing he loses her?
This section contains 1,553 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)