|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Newson is ______ Henchard and his lies.
(a) Undaunted by.
(b) Appalled by.
(c) Angry at.
(d) Worried about.
2. Who nurses Henchard on his deathbed?
(d) A stranger.
3. What section of town does Michael now live?
(a) Stone Bridge.
(b) Mixen Lane.
(c) Priory Mill.
(d) Durnover Hill.
4. What happens to Michael's business?
(a) The town burns it down.
(b) The barns and granaries are raided by his former employees.
(c) The banks close it down.
(d) Farfrae buys Michael's business.
5. Where does Lucetta ask Michael to meet?
(a) At the Ring.
(b) At the end of the road.
(c) In the loft.
(d) In the marketplace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth do with Henchard's gift?
2. When Michael gets sick, who is there to nurse him to health?
3. In chapter 42, what seems to worry Michael the most?
4. During the ruckus of the skimmity ride, who shows the most bravery?
5. Learning about Henchard's lies, Elizabeth feels what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Henchard arrives at Farfrae's home, he has every intention to read Lucetta's letters to Donald and reveal the author. However, he does not. He reads the letters, but stops himself from telling anymore. Why doesn't Henchard go through with his plan?
2. Any drama in Elizabeth's life is not from her own doing. She lives to see how others bear good and bad circumstances. As Elizabeth lives her life, what overall lesson does she learn?
3. Donald's singing affects Henchard before he is able to challenge the Scotchman. Why does a song affect him? What is the importance of the particular song?
4. Henchard promises Lucetta that he returns her letters and not be the one to tell her secret. However, he gives Jopp the letters to send back to Lucetta. Jopp uses this opportunity to retaliate. Even without trying, Michael acts in a way that condemns Lucetta. How much is this in his nature? Does Henchard ever change fully to make sound decisions that do not befall him or the people he cares for?
5. Henchard worries that Newson returns and unfolds the truth to Elizabeth. Yet, when Elizabeth goes to Michael for advice and meeting an anonymous person, Henchard tells her to go. Henchard is aware this person is Newson, so why does Henchard not tell her it is dangerous or give some excuse? Why does he lead her to the truth despite knowing he loses her?
6. When Henchard goes bankrupt and feels shame, he turns to Jopp. Despite his harsh behavior towards Jopp, why does Henchard turn to him?
7. What is the significance of Psalm 109? Why does the band refuse to play such a song? What is the irony in the lyrics?
8. After a visit to Ten Hatches Hole, Michael goes back to see Elizabeth. Henchard refers to himself as unlearned and ignorant. How does this show how Michael thinks differently of Elizabeth, even though he speaks about himself?
9. How is the public treating Henchard and Donald after the Royal Personage passes through town? How is this different from earlier times? What does this say about the public?
10. Elizabeth is an independent woman who likes to take walks along Budmouth Road to the sea. It is a secret that she does not tell Farfrae. What is this secret and why is the sea important to her?
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)