|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rumor of the "skimmity ride" is going around. What is the feeling about this amongst the lower class?
(a) They are dubious of its morality but no one speaks up.
(b) They are ready for some fun after twenty years of boredom.
(c) Split, with some who support it and others who find it too cruel.
(d) They all believe the upper class deserves it.
2. Where is Henchard when the commotions of the scandal are heard from town?
(a) Following Farfrae.
(b) The stone bridge.
(c) In the loft.
(d) The brick bridge.
3. What drunken act does Michael do at the Three Mariners?
(a) He initiates a brawl.
(b) He forces the band to play Psalm 109.
(c) He sings and curses Farfrae.
(d) He reads Lucetta's letters aloud.
4. Who meets Farfrae, but unsuccessfully brings him home to Lucetta?
(b) The doctor.
(c) One of Farfrae's employees.
5. What does Henchard buy for Elizabeth?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A goldfinch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Michael's solution to the upcoming disclosure of his lie to Newson?
2. What causes Michael's death?
3. What misunderstood rumor reaches Henchard that makes him angry?
4. What does Henchard do with his gift for Elizabeth?
5. What makes Henchard change his mind about his fight even before it begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Elizabeth is an independent woman who likes to take walks along Budmouth Road to the sea. It is a secret that she does not tell Farfrae. What is this secret and why is the sea important to her?
2. After Henchard's bankruptcy, Henchard becomes an associate of the lower class. He now works beside them, dresses in shabby clothing, and lives in the same vicinity. But how is Henchard different from the lower class? What large difference do he and Jopp have despite their similar circumstances?
3. When Henchard and Lucetta meet at the Ring, Henchard is agreeable. Lucetta plans for that night to get what she wants. How does this meeting show Lucetta's power of persuasion?
4. After a visit to Ten Hatches Hole, Michael goes back to see Elizabeth. Henchard refers to himself as unlearned and ignorant. How does this show how Michael thinks differently of Elizabeth, even though he speaks about himself?
5. Describe the relationship between the classes. How are they related to one another? Does one depend on the other? Are they co-dependent? Do they interact with one another? If so, how? What is different between the two classes? Can one move between the classes? How so? Who is an example?
6. Describe the events that inhibit the law enforcers to promptly find the perpetrators of the skimmity ride.
7. What is the significance of Psalm 109? Why does the band refuse to play such a song? What is the irony in the lyrics?
8. Michael shows changes for the better. But there are still times that Michael cannot empathize and understand another person's position. How does he show this lack of understanding that people behave differently than he?
9. After Lucetta's death, Donald and Elizabeth are seen in courtship. Compare and contrast this courtship to their first one before Lucetta came to Casterbridge.
10. During Henchard's bankruptcy hearing, Michael shows appreciation towards the creditors. Summarize Henchard's last act that evokes sympathy from his creditors.
This section contains 1,715 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)