|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Farfrae's reaction when Elizabeth warns him of Henchard's hatred?
(a) Donald rudely dismisses her as trivial.
(b) Donald already knows from Solomon Longways.
(c) Donald feels his suspicions are confirmed.
(d) Donald is disbelieving.
2. What is the motive behind the "skimmity ride"?
(a) Pure fun against the upper class.
(b) The furmity woman wants to revenge the town.
(c) Cuxsom is in love with Henchard.
(d) The lower class hates Farfrae.
3. What does Henchard warn Lucetta?
(a) Henchard challenges Farfrae to a fight.
(b) That if she is not nice, he tells Donald the truth.
(c) Though Henchard may not say a word, Farfrae hears the truth somewhere.
(d) That over time, Henchard expects partnership or the truth of the affair is revealed.
4. During the ruckus of the skimmity ride, who shows the most bravery?
(a) The constables.
5. Rumor of the "skimmity ride" is going around. What is the feeling about this amongst the lower class?
(a) They are ready for some fun after twenty years of boredom.
(b) They all believe the upper class deserves it.
(c) They are dubious of its morality but no one speaks up.
(d) Split, with some who support it and others who find it too cruel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henchard's will request?
2. When Henchard leaves Casterbridge, what employment does he find?
3. What causes Michael to see Elizabeth in a new light?
4. What does Farfrae decide to do to avenge his wife's death?
5. What makes Farfrae fall out of favor with the lower class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Henchard worries that Newson returns and unfolds the truth to Elizabeth. Yet, when Elizabeth goes to Michael for advice and meeting an anonymous person, Henchard tells her to go. Henchard is aware this person is Newson, so why does Henchard not tell her it is dangerous or give some excuse? Why does he lead her to the truth despite knowing he loses her?
2. Michael shows changes for the better. But there are still times that Michael cannot empathize and understand another person's position. How does he show this lack of understanding that people behave differently than he?
3. Any drama in Elizabeth's life is not from her own doing. She lives to see how others bear good and bad circumstances. As Elizabeth lives her life, what overall lesson does she learn?
4. When Henchard goes bankrupt and feels shame, he turns to Jopp. Despite his harsh behavior towards Jopp, why does Henchard turn to him?
5. When Henchard arrives at Farfrae's home, he has every intention to read Lucetta's letters to Donald and reveal the author. However, he does not. He reads the letters, but stops himself from telling anymore. Why doesn't Henchard go through with his plan?
6. Describe the events that inhibit the law enforcers to promptly find the perpetrators of the skimmity ride.
7. Lucetta has a brief encounter with Henchard on the farm. In her anger, she is unable to speak her mind right away and leaves. Angry at Henchard's approach, she writes him a letter to stop being so cruel. How does this show Lucetta's inability to think ahead and learn her mistakes?
8. Elizabeth is an independent woman who likes to take walks along Budmouth Road to the sea. It is a secret that she does not tell Farfrae. What is this secret and why is the sea important to her?
9. After a visit to Ten Hatches Hole, Michael goes back to see Elizabeth. Henchard refers to himself as unlearned and ignorant. How does this show how Michael thinks differently of Elizabeth, even though he speaks about himself?
10. In chapter 42, Michael disagrees about some of Elizabeth's decisions. How does Michael show that he is actively changing for the better?
This section contains 1,629 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)