|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps fund the "skimmity ride"?
(a) Mrs. Cuxsom.
(c) Unknowingly Farfrae does.
(d) A passing stranger.
2. Where is Henchard when the commotions of the scandal are heard from town?
(a) The stone bridge.
(b) In the loft.
(c) Following Farfrae.
(d) The brick bridge.
3. Who nurses Henchard on his deathbed?
(c) A stranger.
4. In what state does Elizabeth find Henchard's gift?
(a) In perfect condition.
(c) It is lifeless.
(d) She never finds it.
5. What does Jopp ask of Lucetta?
(a) Where Elizabeth is.
(b) Partnership with Farfrae.
(c) To take Henchard off his hands.
(d) A corn-trussing position.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the day of the skimmity ride, who knows where Donald goes to?
2. What is Newson's reaction to Henchard's news about Elizabeth?
3. What does Elizabeth think she sees in the loft?
4. In chapter 42, what seems to worry Michael the most?
5. How do Henchard's former employees view their new boss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Donald's singing affects Henchard before he is able to challenge the Scotchman. Why does a song affect him? What is the importance of the particular song?
2. Henchard worries that Newson returns and unfolds the truth to Elizabeth. Yet, when Elizabeth goes to Michael for advice and meeting an anonymous person, Henchard tells her to go. Henchard is aware this person is Newson, so why does Henchard not tell her it is dangerous or give some excuse? Why does he lead her to the truth despite knowing he loses her?
3. In chapter 32, what is becoming apparent of Elizabeth Jane? How is she changing? Is she the same person as when she lives with Henchard years before?
4. Michael shows changes for the better. But there are still times that Michael cannot empathize and understand another person's position. How does he show this lack of understanding that people behave differently than he?
5. During Henchard's bankruptcy hearing, Michael shows appreciation towards the creditors. Summarize Henchard's last act that evokes sympathy from his creditors.
6. Of all the places that Lucetta chooses to meet Michael, why at the Ring? Hardy sets it there in the novel, but Lucetta is unaware that Susan and Michael meet there before. What is the importance of the Ring in this chapter?
7. Describe the events that inhibit the law enforcers to promptly find the perpetrators of the skimmity ride.
8. Henchard promises Lucetta that he returns her letters and not be the one to tell her secret. However, he gives Jopp the letters to send back to Lucetta. Jopp uses this opportunity to retaliate. Even without trying, Michael acts in a way that condemns Lucetta. How much is this in his nature? Does Henchard ever change fully to make sound decisions that do not befall him or the people he cares for?
9. Lucetta has a brief encounter with Henchard on the farm. In her anger, she is unable to speak her mind right away and leaves. Angry at Henchard's approach, she writes him a letter to stop being so cruel. How does this show Lucetta's inability to think ahead and learn her mistakes?
10. Longways and a couple of other men do not like the idea behind the "skimmity ride". Longways sends Donald away to help him avoid embarrassment. Why does he do this for Farfrae but not for Lucetta?
This section contains 1,489 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)