|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do you describe Henchard's disposition towards strangers?
(a) Festive and hearty.
(b) Charming and cordial.
(c) Bland and disinterested.
(d) Rude and contemptuous.
2. What is Lucetta's initial response when she meets Farfrae?
(a) She disapproves of him.
(b) She thinks he is smart, but not comparatively to Henchard.
(c) She is attracted and flirts with him.
(d) She hardly takes notice.
3. Where does Michael ask Susan to meet after learning she is still alive?
(a) The Cricket Grounds.
(b) The Ring.
(c) Gladiator's Hall.
(d) The Coliseum.
4. What is Abel's punishment for being chronically late?
(a) He is to sleep in Henchard's barn.
(b) Going through town without breeches.
(d) He is laid off.
5. Where does Susan and her daughter first see Michael Henchard?
(a) At the King's Arms.
(b) At the Three Mariners.
(c) Just outside the King's Arms looking in.
(d) At a local bakery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rash and regretful decision does Henchard make at Donald's celebration?
2. What is the relationship like between Susan and Michael?
3. Where does Donald set up his new business?
4. What surprising feature does Elizabeth and Susan notice about the glasses in front of the mayor?
5. What age is Elizabeth Jane when she and her mother search for Michael Henchard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of all the places that Lucetta chooses to meet Michael, why at the Ring? Hardy sets it there in the novel, but Lucetta is unaware that Susan and Michael meet there before. What is the importance of the Ring in this chapter?
2. A raging bull attacks Lucetta and Elizabeth. Why does hardy use a bull? What symbolism do bulls represent?
3. Although Farfrae buys Henchard's house and furniture in good faith, and offers him a room and job to help him. Describe what it feels like for Michael.
4. How does Michael Henchard feel when Susan leaves with the sailor?
5. In chapter 32, what is becoming apparent of Elizabeth Jane? How is she changing? Is she the same person as when she lives with Henchard years before?
6. When Susan begins her search for Michael, Hardy refers her as Mrs. Newson, for that is what she calls herself. However, in chapter nine, Hardy calls her Mrs. Henchard again for the first time. Why does Hardy return to her first marriage name? How does Susan feel about her role and position at this point?
7. Henchard is a man of wealth and status in Casterbridge, yet he is lonely in friendship as well as marriage. As soon as he meets Farfrae, he is intrigued. Not only does he look to Farfrae as a business manager, but also as a friend. What benefits and dangers does Henchard risk in befriending Farfrae so early on with such sensitive confessions?
8. Before Michael discovers who Elizabeth's real father is, he wants her to legally change her name to Henchard. For whom does he want this? How does Michael regard Elizabeth's feelings in this matter? Is it for them as a relationship as purely for his selfish wants?
9. When Susan dies, Henchard agrees to marry Lucetta out of pity. He still does not call on her when she arrives to Casterbridge. Suddenly, he is adamant about getting her attention and marrying her. What causes the sudden change of heart? What does Henchard want from this?
10. Longways and a couple of other men do not like the idea behind the "skimmity ride". Longways sends Donald away to help him avoid embarrassment. Why does he do this for Farfrae but not for Lucetta?
This section contains 1,543 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)