|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Susan fear about meeting Michael Henchard?
(a) That he's drunken himself to his tomb.
(b) That he does not remember their daughter.
(c) That he does not help despite financial success.
(d) That he considers his sale binding.
2. What does Lucetta do when the town hears the rumors from the defendant about the magistrate?
(a) She tells Farfrae they cannot be together anymore.
(b) She gives the house to Elizabeth and moves away.
(c) She leaves town for a few days.
(d) She confronts Michael about the truth.
3. How do Susan and Elizabeth pay for their lodgings, despite their little income?
(a) Farfrae lends them a loan.
(b) The nice landlady gives the tired strangers a break.
(c) Elizabeth works for the landlady to discount the price.
(d) Susan and her daughter work the kitchen for each night's stay.
4. What age is Elizabeth Jane when she and her mother search for Michael Henchard?
5. Where does Donald set up his new business?
(a) Dunnigan Hill.
(b) West Walk.
(c) Durnover Hill.
(d) Bowling Walk.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 19, what act blatantly shows Michael's disrespect for Susan's request?
2. What does Henchard suggest to announce in the paper?
3. How does Michael feel after Susan's death?
4. How are Susan and Elizabeth-Jane evident strangers in Casterbridge?
5. What is Lucetta's initial response when she meets Farfrae?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes are seen in the furmity woman when Susan and Elizabeth-Jane returns?
2. How does Michael Henchard feel when Susan leaves with the sailor?
3. Although Hardy reveals that Henchard is not in love with Susan, he feels defensive when the boys around town call Susan, "The Ghost". Does he really love her and does not know it? Is he defensive to protect his own name? Is Henchard a better man that he reveals himself to be?
4. Elizabeth Jane is very observant of Farfrae and Henchard. What does she notice about their relationship? What are some expectations that come true? Why does the dismissal of Farfrae not so unexpected?
5. Before Michael discovers who Elizabeth's real father is, he wants her to legally change her name to Henchard. For whom does he want this? How does Michael regard Elizabeth's feelings in this matter? Is it for them as a relationship as purely for his selfish wants?
6. What is the atmosphere of the furmity tent when Michael offers his wife for sale?
7. Henchard is quite fond of Farfrae's work. However, Farfrae views himself quite different from Henchard. What does Farfrae think of Henchard as a person? A businessman?
8. When Henchard visits Lucetta and asks her to marry him, she looks out the window to see Farfrae's hay wagons. What earlier scene is this reminiscent of? What is its importance in the storyline?
9. When Susan is auctioned to Newson, she thinks it is binding. However, Hardy remarks that she is not the only woman to think this way. What does this say about Susan? About the times?
10. Henchard hears from Lucetta and believes he should marry her. At this point, Susan is on her deathbed. Why does Henchard want to marry Lucetta? Is it another obligation? Does he have feelings for her?
This section contains 1,562 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)