|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 42, what seems to worry Michael the most?
(a) Farfrae's revenge.
(b) Business failure.
(c) Losing Elizabeth.
(d) The public's opinion.
2. Where does Farfrae leave to after his fight?
(b) Durnover Hill.
3. How does Henchard show that he now thinks of Elizabeth above himself?
(a) He gives Elizabeth a foodbasket he feels he does not deserve.
(b) He accepts the offer of a seed store to give to her.
(c) Henchard requests Donald to court her.
(d) He makes her breakfast every morning.
4. In what state does Elizabeth find Henchard's gift?
(a) In perfect condition.
(b) It is lifeless.
(d) She never finds it.
5. What does Jopp ask of Lucetta?
(a) A corn-trussing position.
(b) Where Elizabeth is.
(c) To take Henchard off his hands.
(d) Partnership with Farfrae.
6. How does Newson show he is a good father?
(a) He finds Elizabeth to help financially support her.
(b) He brings Elizabeth many gifts on his return.
(c) He buys Elizabeth a store to help her make an income.
(d) Newson keeps a lock of Elizabeth's hair at all times to remember her.
7. Why is Farfrae sent away in the first place?
(a) To give him a holiday.
(b) To prevent his upcoming embarrassment.
(c) To prevent him from stopping the scandal.
(d) To prevent a fight between him and Henchard.
8. What does Farfrae indirectly offer Henchard?
(a) A partnership.
(b) A corn-trussing job.
(c) Start-up money for a new business.
(d) A bribe to stay out of his life.
9. What causes Michael to see Elizabeth in a new light?
(a) Elizabeth insists on visiting him daily.
(b) Farfrae and Henchard reconcile and discuss Elizabeth's pure nature.
(c) He sees Elizabeth's genuine affection for all that is good and pure.
(d) On her deathbed, Lucetta makes Henchard see Elizabeth's pure heart.
10. How do Henchard's former employees view their new boss?
(a) They believe the new boss is equal in every way to Henchard.
(b) The man is respectable, but not as hearty and friendly as Henchard.
(c) They are less fearful of him.
(d) They like him less because he pays less.
11. Rumor of the "skimmity ride" is going around. What is the feeling about this amongst the lower class?
(a) They are dubious of its morality but no one speaks up.
(b) They are ready for some fun after twenty years of boredom.
(c) They all believe the upper class deserves it.
(d) Split, with some who support it and others who find it too cruel.
12. The patrons of Peter's Finger feels what with the upper class?
(a) In union.
(b) A sad gap.
13. What does Henchard buy for Elizabeth?
(a) A new dress.
(c) A goldfinch.
14. What is the town's mood when Mrs. Farfrae's condition is heard?
(a) They feel she deserves it.
15. Who sends Donald to his new destination?
(d) Mrs. Cuxsom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Michael turn to when he goes bankrupt?
2. Learning about Henchard's lies, Elizabeth feels what?
3. Newson is ______ Henchard and his lies.
4. Where does Farfrae often court Elizabeth?
5. What surprising news do we hear about Lucetta?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)