|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sentimental item does Henchard bring with him on his travels?
(a) The flag he makes for the Royal Personage.
(b) A brooch Elizabeth used to wear.
(c) A lock of Elizabeth's hair.
(d) A rock piece from his old house and business.
2. What does Lucetta request from Henchard?
(a) Her past love letters.
(b) For Michael to treat Elizabeth more fairly.
(c) For Michael to move away.
(d) For Michael to quit Farfrae's employment.
3. What are Henchard's intentions when retrieving some letters from Farfrae?
(a) To burn them immediately.
(b) To read them to Lucetta, hoping to evoke some emotions from her.
(c) To tell Farfrae about his affair with Lucetta.
(d) To hide the letters in case he needs to blackmail Lucetta in the future.
4. Who meets Farfrae, but unsuccessfully brings him home to Lucetta?
(b) One of Farfrae's employees.
(c) The doctor.
5. What causes Michael to see Elizabeth in a new light?
(a) On her deathbed, Lucetta makes Henchard see Elizabeth's pure heart.
(b) Elizabeth insists on visiting him daily.
(c) He sees Elizabeth's genuine affection for all that is good and pure.
(d) Farfrae and Henchard reconcile and discuss Elizabeth's pure nature.
6. How does Donald show thanks to Henchard for his attempt to help the night Lucetta dies?
(a) Farfrae sends Henchard a foodbasket.
(b) Donald invites Henchard over for supper.
(c) Donald gives a cordial handshake.
(d) Donald offers Henchard a seed store.
7. What misunderstood rumor reaches Henchard that makes him angry?
(a) Farfrae mistreats Lucetta.
(b) Farfrae persuades the councilmen not to elect Henchard.
(c) Farfrae puts a stop to opening a seed store for Henchard.
(d) Farfrae vows to leave town if Henchard becomes mayor.
8. Why is Farfrae sent away in the first place?
(a) To prevent his upcoming embarrassment.
(b) To prevent him from stopping the scandal.
(c) To prevent a fight between him and Henchard.
(d) To give him a holiday.
9. What causes Michael's death?
(a) Too weak to eat.
(b) A heart attack.
(c) A wagon accident.
(d) A bloody drunken fight.
10. Who nurses Henchard on his deathbed?
(d) A stranger.
11. What new information keeps Donald from leaving town?
(a) All his friends fail in their adventure abroad.
(b) Donald is offered the mayoral position.
(c) His business is profiting more than ever.
(d) Lucetta persuades him to stay in Casterbridge.
12. In chapter 42, what seems to worry Michael the most?
(a) Losing Elizabeth.
(b) The public's opinion.
(c) Business failure.
(d) Farfrae's revenge.
13. Newson confesses he fakes his death. Why does Newson fake it?
(a) To teach Susan to be more independent.
(b) In order to let Susan leave honorably.
(c) Newson has an affair and feels too ashamed to return home.
(d) Newson feels too trapped with a wife and daughter.
14. What motivates Elizabeth to work next to Michael on Donald's farm?
(a) She wants to keep a watchful eye on Michael.
(b) She is scheming with Michael to revenge Farfrae.
(c) It gives her better access to spy on Lucetta and Farfrae.
(d) Michael is sick so she helps him work.
15. What does Henchard buy for Elizabeth?
(b) A goldfinch.
(c) A new dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Henchard meets Lucetta, she reminds him of _________.
2. What does Lucetta believe is her only "practicable weapon"?
3. Why is the skimmity ride important to Jopp?
4. Who helps fund the "skimmity ride"?
5. Michael states Donald treats him like a ______ breaking fence.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)