|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Elizabeth wary of Henchard's hatred toward Farfrae?
(a) Elizabeth would rather have Henchard focus his hate on Lucetta.
(b) She believes he does something dangerous to Farfrae.
(c) She is dubious of Michael's courage to revenge Farfrae.
(d) Elizabeth is afraid he hurts Lucetta to revenge Farfrae.
2. Rumor of the "skimmity ride" is going around. What is the feeling about this amongst the lower class?
(a) They are ready for some fun after twenty years of boredom.
(b) They all believe the upper class deserves it.
(c) They are dubious of its morality but no one speaks up.
(d) Split, with some who support it and others who find it too cruel.
3. Of the townsfolk, who approves Elizabeth's and Donald's courtship?
(a) The lower class women.
(b) The councilmen.
(c) The men of the Three Mariners.
(d) The upper class women.
4. What does Lucetta request from Henchard?
(a) Her past love letters.
(b) For Michael to move away.
(c) For Michael to quit Farfrae's employment.
(d) For Michael to treat Elizabeth more fairly.
5. What does Farfrae indirectly offer Henchard?
(a) A bribe to stay out of his life.
(b) A partnership.
(c) Start-up money for a new business.
(d) A corn-trussing job.
6. Who sends Donald to his new destination?
(b) Mrs. Cuxsom.
7. How does Elizabeth address Henchard when she sees him on her wedding day?
(b) Mr. Henchard.
(d) Father ... uh ... Mr. Henchard.
8. What is the cause of Lucetta's death?
(a) Seizures caused by the scandalous skimmity ride.
(b) Donald leaving her.
(c) Bear of guilt.
(d) An accident during the skimmity ride.
9. Learning about Henchard's lies, Elizabeth feels what?
10. What sentimental item does Henchard bring with him on his travels?
(a) The flag he makes for the Royal Personage.
(b) A rock piece from his old house and business.
(c) A lock of Elizabeth's hair.
(d) A brooch Elizabeth used to wear.
11. What does Elizabeth think she sees in the loft?
(a) Henchard ponders the thought of pushing Farfrae through the trap door.
(b) A mysterious package of letters.
(c) Lucetta and Henchard secretly meeting.
(d) Susan's ghost.
12. How does Henchard show that he now thinks of Elizabeth above himself?
(a) He gives Elizabeth a foodbasket he feels he does not deserve.
(b) He accepts the offer of a seed store to give to her.
(c) Henchard requests Donald to court her.
(d) He makes her breakfast every morning.
13. When Michael gets sick, who is there to nurse him to health?
(b) No one.
(c) Abel Whittle.
14. What does Lucetta do to manipulate Henchard's feelings?
(a) She dresses coquetish.
(b) She winks and smiles when speaking with him.
(c) She makes herself look tired and plain.
(d) She brushes against his arm when making a request.
15. What sort of people live at Mixen Lane?
(a) The rich that are down in their luck.
(d) Patrons of the Three Mariners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drunken act does Michael do at the Three Mariners?
2. In chapter 42, what seems to worry Michael the most?
3. What is one of the causes of Henchard's bankruptcy?
4. Who helps fund the "skimmity ride"?
5. What big celebration is coming up in Casterbridge?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)