|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the townsfolk, who approves Elizabeth's and Donald's courtship?
(a) The men of the Three Mariners.
(b) The upper class women.
(c) The councilmen.
(d) The lower class women.
2. What is the motive behind the "skimmity ride"?
(a) Cuxsom is in love with Henchard.
(b) The furmity woman wants to revenge the town.
(c) Pure fun against the upper class.
(d) The lower class hates Farfrae.
3. When Michael gets sick, who is there to nurse him to health?
(b) No one.
(d) Abel Whittle.
4. What is the cause of Lucetta's death?
(a) An accident during the skimmity ride.
(b) Seizures caused by the scandalous skimmity ride.
(c) Bear of guilt.
(d) Donald leaving her.
5. What image does Henchard see at Ten Hatches Hole?
(a) Donald's face.
(b) Lucetta's effigy.
(c) The bull horns from the skimmity ride.
(d) His effigy.
6. Jopp feels _______ about Lucetta's condition.
7. Where does Farfrae often court Elizabeth?
(a) The marketplace.
(b) At the ring.
(c) On Budmouth Road.
(d) In the loft.
8. What is the town's mood when Mrs. Farfrae's condition is heard?
(a) They feel she deserves it.
9. How does Henchard show that he now thinks of Elizabeth above himself?
(a) He accepts the offer of a seed store to give to her.
(b) He makes her breakfast every morning.
(c) He gives Elizabeth a foodbasket he feels he does not deserve.
(d) Henchard requests Donald to court her.
10. What is Michael's solution to the upcoming disclosure of his lie to Newson?
(a) Michael intercepts Newson and threatens him.
(b) Henchard decides to leave Casterbridge.
(c) Henchard writes a note defending his stance to Elizabeth.
(d) Michael coerces Elizabeth to stay with him instead.
11. Henchard observes ______ while spying on Elizabeth.
(a) The furmity woman.
(b) Councilman Tubb.
12. What are Henchard's intentions when retrieving some letters from Farfrae?
(a) To hide the letters in case he needs to blackmail Lucetta in the future.
(b) To burn them immediately.
(c) To read them to Lucetta, hoping to evoke some emotions from her.
(d) To tell Farfrae about his affair with Lucetta.
13. What motivates Elizabeth to work next to Michael on Donald's farm?
(a) It gives her better access to spy on Lucetta and Farfrae.
(b) She wants to keep a watchful eye on Michael.
(c) Michael is sick so she helps him work.
(d) She is scheming with Michael to revenge Farfrae.
14. What news does Michael hear at the stone bridge?
(a) Farfrae is mayor.
(b) Jopp knows about the Jersey affair.
(c) Farfrae is hiring corn-trussers.
(d) Farfrae buys his personal belongings.
15. How does Lucetta discover the scandal concerns her?
(a) Elizabeth tells her.
(b) Lucetta hears her loud neighbors.
(c) Lucetta runs out to see her effigy.
(d) Her cook confesses it is about her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unexpected thing does Michael do at the parade?
2. Who does Michael turn to when he goes bankrupt?
3. What does Lucetta believe is her only "practicable weapon"?
4. What is Farfrae's reaction when Elizabeth warns him of Henchard's hatred?
5. Who helps fund the "skimmity ride"?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)