|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the cause of Lucetta's death?
(a) An accident during the skimmity ride.
(b) Seizures caused by the scandalous skimmity ride.
(c) Bear of guilt.
(d) Donald leaving her.
2. Who is the first to aid Lucetta?
(a) Her neighbor.
(d) Her cook.
3. What section of town does Michael now live?
(a) Stone Bridge.
(b) Durnover Hill.
(c) Mixen Lane.
(d) Priory Mill.
4. How does Elizabeth address Henchard when she sees him on her wedding day?
(a) Mr. Henchard.
(d) Father ... uh ... Mr. Henchard.
5. During the ruckus of the skimmity ride, who shows the most bravery?
(b) The constables.
6. Where does Michael challenge Donald to a fight?
(a) In the loft.
(b) At Farfrae's home.
(c) At the Three Mariners.
(d) At the ring.
7. What is one of the causes of Henchard's bankruptcy?
(a) A debtor cannot pay Henchard on time.
(b) Henchard fires half his employees in a fury.
(c) Farfrae steals all his customers.
(d) Bad weather.
8. What drunken act does Michael do at the Three Mariners?
(a) He sings and curses Farfrae.
(b) He forces the band to play Psalm 109.
(c) He reads Lucetta's letters aloud.
(d) He initiates a brawl.
9. Michael is paranoid that Donald ___________.
(a) Discovers Henchard's latest secret.
(b) Changes his mind about their reconciled friendship.
(c) Turns Elizabeth against him.
(d) Dismisses him from employment.
10. Who does Michael turn to when he goes bankrupt?
(a) Councilman Tubb.
11. What becomes of Weydon-Priors?
(a) It is usurped by a large city.
(b) It is unchanged from twenty five years ago.
(c) It revives when a neighboring town grows nearby.
(d) It is bare.
12. What does Henchard do with his gift for Elizabeth?
(a) He leaves it outside her home.
(b) He returns it.
(c) He secretly places it in her room.
(d) He sends it via a messenger.
13. What is Michael's solution to the upcoming disclosure of his lie to Newson?
(a) Michael intercepts Newson and threatens him.
(b) Michael coerces Elizabeth to stay with him instead.
(c) Henchard writes a note defending his stance to Elizabeth.
(d) Henchard decides to leave Casterbridge.
14. Rumor of the "skimmity ride" is going around. What is the feeling about this amongst the lower class?
(a) Split, with some who support it and others who find it too cruel.
(b) They are dubious of its morality but no one speaks up.
(c) They all believe the upper class deserves it.
(d) They are ready for some fun after twenty years of boredom.
15. Where does Lucetta ask Michael to meet?
(a) At the Ring.
(b) In the loft.
(c) At the end of the road.
(d) In the marketplace.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state does Elizabeth find Henchard's gift?
2. What happens to Michael's business?
3. What image does Henchard see at Ten Hatches Hole?
4. Michael states Donald treats him like a ______ breaking fence.
5. In chapter 42, what seems to worry Michael the most?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)