|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who meets Farfrae, but unsuccessfully brings him home to Lucetta?
(a) The doctor.
(d) One of Farfrae's employees.
2. What section of town does Michael now live?
(a) Priory Mill.
(b) Durnover Hill.
(c) Mixen Lane.
(d) Stone Bridge.
3. Where does Michael challenge Donald to a fight?
(a) At the Three Mariners.
(b) At Farfrae's home.
(c) At the ring.
(d) In the loft.
4. What are Henchard's intentions when retrieving some letters from Farfrae?
(a) To burn them immediately.
(b) To hide the letters in case he needs to blackmail Lucetta in the future.
(c) To read them to Lucetta, hoping to evoke some emotions from her.
(d) To tell Farfrae about his affair with Lucetta.
5. What does Farfrae indirectly offer Henchard?
(a) A partnership.
(b) A bribe to stay out of his life.
(c) Start-up money for a new business.
(d) A corn-trussing job.
6. How does Michael prepare for his fight with Donald?
(a) Michael ties one of his arms down.
(b) Michael sings a curse song aimed at Donald.
(c) Michael hides a knife in some haystacks.
(d) Michael makes a hidden trap door.
7. What unexpected thing does Michael do at the parade?
(a) He marches behind the councilman as if he is one of them.
(b) He makes a flag and greets the Royal Personage.
(c) He sits next to Lucetta to watch the parade.
(d) He blocks the entrance at the bridge.
8. What types of people linger around the brick bridge?
(a) Gossiping women.
(b) The churchgoers.
(c) The bypassers that travel through Casterbridge between work.
(d) The destitute.
9. What does Henchard ponder while at Ten Hatches Hole?
(a) Committing suicide.
(b) How to keep Elizabeth's love.
(c) How to revenge the plotters of the skimmity ride.
(d) How to regain Farfrae's trust.
10. What is Farfrae's reaction when Elizabeth warns him of Henchard's hatred?
(a) Donald is disbelieving.
(b) Donald feels his suspicions are confirmed.
(c) Donald already knows from Solomon Longways.
(d) Donald rudely dismisses her as trivial.
11. How does Newson show he is a good father?
(a) He finds Elizabeth to help financially support her.
(b) Newson keeps a lock of Elizabeth's hair at all times to remember her.
(c) He brings Elizabeth many gifts on his return.
(d) He buys Elizabeth a store to help her make an income.
12. Learning about Henchard's lies, Elizabeth feels what?
13. What does Michael do with his last possessions?
(a) He gives them to Elizabeth and asks for forgiveness.
(b) He sells his watch and gives his last pocket money to a small creditor.
(c) He sets them in front of his old house, unable to leave.
(d) He sells his last possessions to pay his new landlord rent.
14. Who helps fund the "skimmity ride"?
(a) A passing stranger.
(b) Unknowingly Farfrae does.
(d) Mrs. Cuxsom.
15. What image does Henchard see at Ten Hatches Hole?
(a) His effigy.
(b) Lucetta's effigy.
(c) The bull horns from the skimmity ride.
(d) Donald's face.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lucetta discover the scandal concerns her?
2. In what state does Elizabeth find Henchard's gift?
3. What makes Henchard change his mind about his fight even before it begins?
4. Newson is ______ Henchard and his lies.
5. Who warms Donald about the happenings at the Three Mariners?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)