|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What delays Jopp from running Henchard's errand?
(a) Farfrae stops him to run another errand first.
(b) He is distracted by Mrs. Cuxsom and Mockridge.
(c) Jopp takes time to think by the bridge.
(d) Jopp heads to the Three Mariners.
2. Of the townsfolk, who approves Elizabeth's and Donald's courtship?
(a) The lower class women.
(b) The men of the Three Mariners.
(c) The councilmen.
(d) The upper class women.
3. How does Michael act toward Lucetta when they meet on Donald's farm?
(a) Michael leers at her with cold stares.
(b) Michael speaks sarcastically to her.
(c) Michael is ashamed and runs away from her sight.
(d) Michael is nice and wants forgiveness.
4. What makes Farfrae fall out of favor with the lower class?
(a) The lower class has a strong bond with Henchard.
(b) No one respects his decision to marry Lucetta.
(c) Farfrae bullies his journeymen at work.
(d) He is changed from his singing Scotchman days to an upper class man.
5. How does Elizabeth address Henchard when she sees him on her wedding day?
(b) Mr. Henchard.
(d) Father ... uh ... Mr. Henchard.
6. What brings Michael over the edge and gets him to start drinking again?
(a) Lucetta and Elizabeth ignore him completely in the market.
(b) Lucetta is having a baby.
(c) Jopp and Farfrae are becoming friends.
(d) News that Farfrae is mayor.
7. What does Elizabeth think she sees in the loft?
(a) Lucetta and Henchard secretly meeting.
(b) Susan's ghost.
(c) Henchard ponders the thought of pushing Farfrae through the trap door.
(d) A mysterious package of letters.
8. How does Donald show thanks to Henchard for his attempt to help the night Lucetta dies?
(a) Donald invites Henchard over for supper.
(b) Farfrae sends Henchard a foodbasket.
(c) Donald gives a cordial handshake.
(d) Donald offers Henchard a seed store.
9. What misunderstood rumor reaches Henchard that makes him angry?
(a) Farfrae persuades the councilmen not to elect Henchard.
(b) Farfrae vows to leave town if Henchard becomes mayor.
(c) Farfrae mistreats Lucetta.
(d) Farfrae puts a stop to opening a seed store for Henchard.
10. What does Michael do with his last possessions?
(a) He sells his last possessions to pay his new landlord rent.
(b) He sets them in front of his old house, unable to leave.
(c) He gives them to Elizabeth and asks for forgiveness.
(d) He sells his watch and gives his last pocket money to a small creditor.
11. What does Farfrae decide to do to avenge his wife's death?
(a) Recruit all the councilman and constables for an investigation.
(b) Nothing because it only prolongs everyone's embarrassment.
(c) Offer a monetary award for information.
(d) Loiter Peter's Finger until information is retrieved.
12. What does Lucetta believe is her only "practicable weapon"?
(a) Power of persuasion.
(b) Her power as the mayor's wife.
(c) She does not feel she has any.
(d) Her power in money.
13. What types of people linger around the brick bridge?
(a) The churchgoers.
(b) The bypassers that travel through Casterbridge between work.
(c) Gossiping women.
(d) The destitute.
14. What is the town's mood when Mrs. Farfrae's condition is heard?
(a) They feel she deserves it.
15. What does Lucetta do to manipulate Henchard's feelings?
(a) She winks and smiles when speaking with him.
(b) She brushes against his arm when making a request.
(c) She makes herself look tired and plain.
(d) She dresses coquetish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Michael challenge Donald to a fight?
2. What causes greater enmity between Michael and Henchard?
3. What becomes of Newson?
4. What makes Elizabeth wary of Henchard's hatred toward Farfrae?
5. Learning about Henchard's lies, Elizabeth feels what?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)