|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Newson is ______ Henchard and his lies.
(a) Undaunted by.
(b) Angry at.
(c) Worried about.
(d) Appalled by.
2. What does Elizabeth do with Henchard's gift?
(a) Burn it.
(b) Throw it in the garbage.
(c) Store it in the closet.
(d) Bury it.
3. How does Elizabeth address Henchard when she sees him on her wedding day?
(c) Mr. Henchard.
(d) Father ... uh ... Mr. Henchard.
4. Of the townsfolk, who approves Elizabeth's and Donald's courtship?
(a) The lower class women.
(b) The upper class women.
(c) The men of the Three Mariners.
(d) The councilmen.
5. What does Farfrae indirectly offer Henchard?
(a) A partnership.
(b) A bribe to stay out of his life.
(c) Start-up money for a new business.
(d) A corn-trussing job.
6. Rumor of the "skimmity ride" is going around. What is the feeling about this amongst the lower class?
(a) They all believe the upper class deserves it.
(b) Split, with some who support it and others who find it too cruel.
(c) They are ready for some fun after twenty years of boredom.
(d) They are dubious of its morality but no one speaks up.
7. What is the town's mood when Mrs. Farfrae's condition is heard?
(d) They feel she deserves it.
8. What are Henchard's intentions when retrieving some letters from Farfrae?
(a) To tell Farfrae about his affair with Lucetta.
(b) To hide the letters in case he needs to blackmail Lucetta in the future.
(c) To burn them immediately.
(d) To read them to Lucetta, hoping to evoke some emotions from her.
9. In what state does Elizabeth find Henchard's gift?
(a) It is lifeless.
(b) She never finds it.
(d) In perfect condition.
10. What becomes of Newson?
(a) He sets up a business in Casterbridge.
(b) He moves to Budmouth.
(c) He dies.
(d) He returns to the open seas.
11. What does Lucetta request from Henchard?
(a) For Michael to move away.
(b) For Michael to quit Farfrae's employment.
(c) Her past love letters.
(d) For Michael to treat Elizabeth more fairly.
12. What drunken act does Michael do at the Three Mariners?
(a) He forces the band to play Psalm 109.
(b) He sings and curses Farfrae.
(c) He initiates a brawl.
(d) He reads Lucetta's letters aloud.
13. Where does Michael challenge Donald to a fight?
(a) At the Three Mariners.
(b) At Farfrae's home.
(c) In the loft.
(d) At the ring.
14. What delays Jopp from running Henchard's errand?
(a) Jopp takes time to think by the bridge.
(b) Farfrae stops him to run another errand first.
(c) He is distracted by Mrs. Cuxsom and Mockridge.
(d) Jopp heads to the Three Mariners.
15. In chapter 42, what seems to worry Michael the most?
(a) Losing Elizabeth.
(b) The public's opinion.
(c) Business failure.
(d) Farfrae's revenge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Farfrae leave to after his fight?
2. What big celebration is coming up in Casterbridge?
3. What does Farfrae decide to do to avenge his wife's death?
4. How does Donald show thanks to Henchard for his attempt to help the night Lucetta dies?
5. Learning about Henchard's lies, Elizabeth feels what?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)