|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henchard's will request?
(a) To be buried in the ring.
(b) That Farfrae forgives him.
(c) To be cremated and spread in Casterbridge.
(d) That no one honour him nor remember him.
2. How does Henchard show that he now thinks of Elizabeth above himself?
(a) Henchard requests Donald to court her.
(b) He makes her breakfast every morning.
(c) He gives Elizabeth a foodbasket he feels he does not deserve.
(d) He accepts the offer of a seed store to give to her.
3. Who nurses Henchard on his deathbed?
(d) A stranger.
4. What makes Farfrae fall out of favor with the lower class?
(a) The lower class has a strong bond with Henchard.
(b) He is changed from his singing Scotchman days to an upper class man.
(c) Farfrae bullies his journeymen at work.
(d) No one respects his decision to marry Lucetta.
5. Newly bankrupt and now a journeyman, what is the only thing Michael looks forward to?
(a) Talking to his river image at the bridge.
(b) Talking with Elizabeth.
(c) Being able to drink again.
(d) Talking with Jopp.
6. Of the townsfolk, who approves Elizabeth's and Donald's courtship?
(a) The men of the Three Mariners.
(b) The councilmen.
(c) The lower class women.
(d) The upper class women.
7. Where does Farfrae often court Elizabeth?
(a) The marketplace.
(b) In the loft.
(c) On Budmouth Road.
(d) At the ring.
8. When Henchard meets Lucetta, she reminds him of _________.
(a) The furmity woman.
(c) Mrs. Cuxom.
9. What does Elizabeth think she sees in the loft?
(a) Susan's ghost.
(b) A mysterious package of letters.
(c) Lucetta and Henchard secretly meeting.
(d) Henchard ponders the thought of pushing Farfrae through the trap door.
10. Where does Lucetta ask Michael to meet?
(a) At the end of the road.
(b) In the marketplace.
(c) In the loft.
(d) At the Ring.
11. How do Henchard's former employees view their new boss?
(a) They are less fearful of him.
(b) The man is respectable, but not as hearty and friendly as Henchard.
(c) They like him less because he pays less.
(d) They believe the new boss is equal in every way to Henchard.
12. What is Farfrae's reaction when Elizabeth warns him of Henchard's hatred?
(a) Donald feels his suspicions are confirmed.
(b) Donald is disbelieving.
(c) Donald rudely dismisses her as trivial.
(d) Donald already knows from Solomon Longways.
13. What does Lucetta believe is her only "practicable weapon"?
(a) She does not feel she has any.
(b) Her power as the mayor's wife.
(c) Her power in money.
(d) Power of persuasion.
14. What misunderstood rumor reaches Henchard that makes him angry?
(a) Farfrae mistreats Lucetta.
(b) Farfrae persuades the councilmen not to elect Henchard.
(c) Farfrae puts a stop to opening a seed store for Henchard.
(d) Farfrae vows to leave town if Henchard becomes mayor.
15. What does Michael do to further exemplify his selfishness?
(a) Tells Elizabeth to make breakfast despite her sleepless night.
(b) Enter the Farfrae household and demand to know what is going on.
(c) Lies to Newson about Elizabeth.
(d) Ask Elizabeth if Lucetta mentions him on her deathbed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Newson's reaction to Henchard's news about Elizabeth?
2. What does Michael do with his last possessions?
3. What sort of people live at Mixen Lane?
4. What is the town's mood when Mrs. Farfrae's condition is heard?
5. Jopp feels _______ about Lucetta's condition.
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)