|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Henchard change his mind about his fight even before it begins?
(a) Donald remembers Farfrae gives him a job.
(b) Henchard knows he is much too strong for Donald.
(c) Michael sees Lucetta sitting innocently in the carriage.
(d) Donald sings a reminiscent song.
2. What does Henchard do with his gift for Elizabeth?
(a) He secretly places it in her room.
(b) He sends it via a messenger.
(c) He leaves it outside her home.
(d) He returns it.
3. What does Henchard warn Lucetta?
(a) Though Henchard may not say a word, Farfrae hears the truth somewhere.
(b) That if she is not nice, he tells Donald the truth.
(c) Henchard challenges Farfrae to a fight.
(d) That over time, Henchard expects partnership or the truth of the affair is revealed.
4. Where does Lucetta ask Michael to meet?
(a) At the Ring.
(b) At the end of the road.
(c) In the marketplace.
(d) In the loft.
5. How do Henchard's former employees view their new boss?
(a) The man is respectable, but not as hearty and friendly as Henchard.
(b) They like him less because he pays less.
(c) They are less fearful of him.
(d) They believe the new boss is equal in every way to Henchard.
6. When Henchard meets Lucetta, she reminds him of _________.
(c) The furmity woman.
(d) Mrs. Cuxom.
7. What is Newson's reaction to Henchard's news about Elizabeth?
(d) Not surprised.
8. How does Newson show he is a good father?
(a) He buys Elizabeth a store to help her make an income.
(b) He finds Elizabeth to help financially support her.
(c) He brings Elizabeth many gifts on his return.
(d) Newson keeps a lock of Elizabeth's hair at all times to remember her.
9. Newson is ______ Henchard and his lies.
(a) Appalled by.
(b) Undaunted by.
(c) Worried about.
(d) Angry at.
10. What big celebration is coming up in Casterbridge?
(a) Farfrae is knighted.
(c) Farfrae and Elizabeth are getting married.
(d) Casterbridge receives royal commendations.
11. What does Michael do to further exemplify his selfishness?
(a) Enter the Farfrae household and demand to know what is going on.
(b) Lies to Newson about Elizabeth.
(c) Ask Elizabeth if Lucetta mentions him on her deathbed.
(d) Tells Elizabeth to make breakfast despite her sleepless night.
12. During the ruckus of the skimmity ride, who shows the most bravery?
(b) The constables.
13. What drunken act does Michael do at the Three Mariners?
(a) He reads Lucetta's letters aloud.
(b) He sings and curses Farfrae.
(c) He forces the band to play Psalm 109.
(d) He initiates a brawl.
14. How does Michael act toward Lucetta when they meet on Donald's farm?
(a) Michael speaks sarcastically to her.
(b) Michael leers at her with cold stares.
(c) Michael is nice and wants forgiveness.
(d) Michael is ashamed and runs away from her sight.
15. What becomes of Weydon-Priors?
(a) It is usurped by a large city.
(b) It revives when a neighboring town grows nearby.
(c) It is unchanged from twenty five years ago.
(d) It is bare.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lucetta discover the scandal concerns her?
2. How does Michael prepare for his fight with Donald?
3. What causes greater enmity between Michael and Henchard?
4. What makes Elizabeth wary of Henchard's hatred toward Farfrae?
5. In chapter 42, what seems to worry Michael the most?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)