|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who warms Donald about the happenings at the Three Mariners?
(c) Lawyer Joyce.
2. What news does Michael hear at the stone bridge?
(a) Farfrae buys his personal belongings.
(b) Jopp knows about the Jersey affair.
(c) Farfrae is hiring corn-trussers.
(d) Farfrae is mayor.
3. What is Farfrae's reaction when Elizabeth warns him of Henchard's hatred?
(a) Donald already knows from Solomon Longways.
(b) Donald rudely dismisses her as trivial.
(c) Donald feels his suspicions are confirmed.
(d) Donald is disbelieving.
4. What does Michael do to further exemplify his selfishness?
(a) Lies to Newson about Elizabeth.
(b) Enter the Farfrae household and demand to know what is going on.
(c) Tells Elizabeth to make breakfast despite her sleepless night.
(d) Ask Elizabeth if Lucetta mentions him on her deathbed.
5. What does Lucetta believe is her only "practicable weapon"?
(a) She does not feel she has any.
(b) Her power as the mayor's wife.
(c) Power of persuasion.
(d) Her power in money.
6. How do Henchard's former employees view their new boss?
(a) They believe the new boss is equal in every way to Henchard.
(b) They are less fearful of him.
(c) They like him less because he pays less.
(d) The man is respectable, but not as hearty and friendly as Henchard.
7. What misunderstood rumor reaches Henchard that makes him angry?
(a) Farfrae mistreats Lucetta.
(b) Farfrae puts a stop to opening a seed store for Henchard.
(c) Farfrae persuades the councilmen not to elect Henchard.
(d) Farfrae vows to leave town if Henchard becomes mayor.
8. What does Farfrae decide to do to avenge his wife's death?
(a) Loiter Peter's Finger until information is retrieved.
(b) Nothing because it only prolongs everyone's embarrassment.
(c) Recruit all the councilman and constables for an investigation.
(d) Offer a monetary award for information.
9. What causes Michael to see Elizabeth in a new light?
(a) Farfrae and Henchard reconcile and discuss Elizabeth's pure nature.
(b) He sees Elizabeth's genuine affection for all that is good and pure.
(c) On her deathbed, Lucetta makes Henchard see Elizabeth's pure heart.
(d) Elizabeth insists on visiting him daily.
10. What sort of people live at Mixen Lane?
(b) The rich that are down in their luck.
(c) Patrons of the Three Mariners.
11. Why is the skimmity ride important to Jopp?
(a) Jopp feels like a leader for once.
(b) Jopp uses it to blackmail Lucetta.
(c) Jopp uses it to blackmail Farfrae.
(d) The scandal also serves as retaliation.
12. Who sends Donald to his new destination?
(a) Mrs. Cuxsom.
13. How does Elizabeth address Henchard when she sees him on her wedding day?
(a) Father ... uh ... Mr. Henchard.
(b) Mr. Henchard.
14. What causes greater enmity between Michael and Henchard?
(a) Donald is forced to dismiss Henchard as a journeyman.
(b) Lucetta tells Donald the truth about her affair.
(c) Henchard pushes Donald in public.
(d) Donald pushes Henchard in public.
15. What does Michael do with his last possessions?
(a) He sets them in front of his old house, unable to leave.
(b) He sells his watch and gives his last pocket money to a small creditor.
(c) He sells his last possessions to pay his new landlord rent.
(d) He gives them to Elizabeth and asks for forgiveness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the motive behind the "skimmity ride"?
2. How does Michael prepare for his fight with Donald?
3. What becomes of Newson?
4. Where does Farfrae leave to after his fight?
5. What is the people's reaction to the skiff between Michael and Donald?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)