|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes greater enmity between Michael and Henchard?
(a) Donald is forced to dismiss Henchard as a journeyman.
(b) Henchard pushes Donald in public.
(c) Lucetta tells Donald the truth about her affair.
(d) Donald pushes Henchard in public.
2. What is the motive behind the "skimmity ride"?
(a) Cuxsom is in love with Henchard.
(b) The furmity woman wants to revenge the town.
(c) Pure fun against the upper class.
(d) The lower class hates Farfrae.
3. When Michael gets sick, who is there to nurse him to health?
(c) No one.
(d) Abel Whittle.
4. What sentimental item does Henchard bring with him on his travels?
(a) A brooch Elizabeth used to wear.
(b) A lock of Elizabeth's hair.
(c) The flag he makes for the Royal Personage.
(d) A rock piece from his old house and business.
5. What misunderstood rumor reaches Henchard that makes him angry?
(a) Farfrae mistreats Lucetta.
(b) Farfrae vows to leave town if Henchard becomes mayor.
(c) Farfrae persuades the councilmen not to elect Henchard.
(d) Farfrae puts a stop to opening a seed store for Henchard.
6. What brings Michael over the edge and gets him to start drinking again?
(a) News that Farfrae is mayor.
(b) Jopp and Farfrae are becoming friends.
(c) Lucetta and Elizabeth ignore him completely in the market.
(d) Lucetta is having a baby.
7. Newson is ______ Henchard and his lies.
(a) Worried about.
(b) Angry at.
(c) Appalled by.
(d) Undaunted by.
8. In chapter 42, what seems to worry Michael the most?
(a) Losing Elizabeth.
(b) Business failure.
(c) The public's opinion.
(d) Farfrae's revenge.
9. What drunken act does Michael do at the Three Mariners?
(a) He forces the band to play Psalm 109.
(b) He sings and curses Farfrae.
(c) He initiates a brawl.
(d) He reads Lucetta's letters aloud.
10. What is Michael's solution to the upcoming disclosure of his lie to Newson?
(a) Henchard writes a note defending his stance to Elizabeth.
(b) Michael coerces Elizabeth to stay with him instead.
(c) Henchard decides to leave Casterbridge.
(d) Michael intercepts Newson and threatens him.
11. What is the cause of Lucetta's death?
(a) Donald leaving her.
(b) Seizures caused by the scandalous skimmity ride.
(c) Bear of guilt.
(d) An accident during the skimmity ride.
12. Where does Farfrae leave to after his fight?
(b) Durnover Hill.
13. What is the people's reaction to the skiff between Michael and Donald?
(a) They think Donald is acting unfairly.
(b) They are both unliked by the middle and lower class.
(c) They believe Michael deserves Donald's treatment.
(d) They are more interested in their own matters.
14. What is Newson's reaction to Henchard's news about Elizabeth?
(c) Not surprised.
15. What becomes of Weydon-Priors?
(a) It is usurped by a large city.
(b) It is unchanged from twenty five years ago.
(c) It revives when a neighboring town grows nearby.
(d) It is bare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the councilmen and Farfrae's plans for Henchard?
2. What does Farfrae decide to do to avenge his wife's death?
3. How does Henchard show that he now thinks of Elizabeth above himself?
4. Michael is paranoid that Donald ___________.
5. Where does Michael challenge Donald to a fight?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)