|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michael do to further exemplify his selfishness?
(a) Enter the Farfrae household and demand to know what is going on.
(b) Lies to Newson about Elizabeth.
(c) Tells Elizabeth to make breakfast despite her sleepless night.
(d) Ask Elizabeth if Lucetta mentions him on her deathbed.
2. Where does Lucetta ask Michael to meet?
(a) In the marketplace.
(b) At the end of the road.
(c) At the Ring.
(d) In the loft.
3. What does Michael do with his last possessions?
(a) He sells his last possessions to pay his new landlord rent.
(b) He sets them in front of his old house, unable to leave.
(c) He sells his watch and gives his last pocket money to a small creditor.
(d) He gives them to Elizabeth and asks for forgiveness.
4. What is the cause of Lucetta's death?
(a) Seizures caused by the scandalous skimmity ride.
(b) An accident during the skimmity ride.
(c) Bear of guilt.
(d) Donald leaving her.
5. Michael is paranoid that Donald ___________.
(a) Changes his mind about their reconciled friendship.
(b) Turns Elizabeth against him.
(c) Discovers Henchard's latest secret.
(d) Dismisses him from employment.
6. Where is Henchard when the commotions of the scandal are heard from town?
(a) Following Farfrae.
(b) The stone bridge.
(c) In the loft.
(d) The brick bridge.
7. What does Henchard's will request?
(a) That Farfrae forgives him.
(b) To be buried in the ring.
(c) To be cremated and spread in Casterbridge.
(d) That no one honour him nor remember him.
8. Who meets Farfrae, but unsuccessfully brings him home to Lucetta?
(a) One of Farfrae's employees.
(c) The doctor.
9. When Henchard leaves Casterbridge, what employment does he find?
(b) General manager of a corn business.
(c) Henchard becomes a constable.
10. Newson confesses he fakes his death. Why does Newson fake it?
(a) In order to let Susan leave honorably.
(b) To teach Susan to be more independent.
(c) Newson has an affair and feels too ashamed to return home.
(d) Newson feels too trapped with a wife and daughter.
11. What becomes of Newson?
(a) He returns to the open seas.
(b) He dies.
(c) He sets up a business in Casterbridge.
(d) He moves to Budmouth.
12. What does Henchard do with his gift for Elizabeth?
(a) He returns it.
(b) He leaves it outside her home.
(c) He secretly places it in her room.
(d) He sends it via a messenger.
13. What is Farfrae's reaction when Elizabeth warns him of Henchard's hatred?
(a) Donald feels his suspicions are confirmed.
(b) Donald rudely dismisses her as trivial.
(c) Donald is disbelieving.
(d) Donald already knows from Solomon Longways.
14. How does Lucetta react to Michael in Donald's farm?
(a) Lucetta stares icily until Henchard turns away.
(b) Lucetta writes a letter requesting he stop his patronization.
(c) Lucetta approaches Michael and asks if he wants some tea.
(d) Lucetta ignores him and keeps her stride.
15. How does Michael act toward Lucetta when they meet on Donald's farm?
(a) Michael is nice and wants forgiveness.
(b) Michael speaks sarcastically to her.
(c) Michael is ashamed and runs away from her sight.
(d) Michael leers at her with cold stares.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of Weydon-Priors?
2. What motivates Elizabeth to work next to Michael on Donald's farm?
3. What sort of people live at Mixen Lane?
4. Newly bankrupt and now a journeyman, what is the only thing Michael looks forward to?
5. Of the townsfolk, who approves Elizabeth's and Donald's courtship?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)