|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lucetta discover the scandal concerns her?
(a) Elizabeth tells her.
(b) Her cook confesses it is about her.
(c) Lucetta hears her loud neighbors.
(d) Lucetta runs out to see her effigy.
2. Who nurses Henchard on his deathbed?
(c) A stranger.
3. Jopp feels _______ about Lucetta's condition.
4. What does Farfrae decide to do to avenge his wife's death?
(a) Loiter Peter's Finger until information is retrieved.
(b) Nothing because it only prolongs everyone's embarrassment.
(c) Recruit all the councilman and constables for an investigation.
(d) Offer a monetary award for information.
5. What types of people linger around the brick bridge?
(a) The churchgoers.
(b) The destitute.
(c) Gossiping women.
(d) The bypassers that travel through Casterbridge between work.
6. Newson is ______ Henchard and his lies.
(a) Worried about.
(b) Appalled by.
(c) Undaunted by.
(d) Angry at.
7. How does Lucetta react to Michael in Donald's farm?
(a) Lucetta writes a letter requesting he stop his patronization.
(b) Lucetta ignores him and keeps her stride.
(c) Lucetta approaches Michael and asks if he wants some tea.
(d) Lucetta stares icily until Henchard turns away.
8. Where does Farfrae leave to after his fight?
(b) Durnover Hill.
9. What does Henchard buy for Elizabeth?
(b) A goldfinch.
(c) A new dress.
10. What is Newson's reaction to Henchard's news about Elizabeth?
(d) Not surprised.
11. When Henchard leaves Casterbridge, what employment does he find?
(a) Henchard becomes a constable.
(c) General manager of a corn business.
12. What drunken act does Michael do at the Three Mariners?
(a) He initiates a brawl.
(b) He sings and curses Farfrae.
(c) He reads Lucetta's letters aloud.
(d) He forces the band to play Psalm 109.
13. What sentimental item does Henchard bring with him on his travels?
(a) The flag he makes for the Royal Personage.
(b) A lock of Elizabeth's hair.
(c) A brooch Elizabeth used to wear.
(d) A rock piece from his old house and business.
14. What is the cause of Lucetta's death?
(a) Donald leaving her.
(b) Bear of guilt.
(c) Seizures caused by the scandalous skimmity ride.
(d) An accident during the skimmity ride.
15. What brings Michael over the edge and gets him to start drinking again?
(a) Lucetta is having a baby.
(b) Jopp and Farfrae are becoming friends.
(c) Lucetta and Elizabeth ignore him completely in the market.
(d) News that Farfrae is mayor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth think she sees in the loft?
2. How do Henchard's former employees view their new boss?
3. What does Jopp ask of Lucetta?
4. How does Newson show he is a good father?
5. What news does Michael hear at the stone bridge?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)