|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Michael challenge Donald to a fight?
(a) In the loft.
(b) At the ring.
(c) At Farfrae's home.
(d) At the Three Mariners.
2. What does Lucetta request from Henchard?
(a) For Michael to treat Elizabeth more fairly.
(b) Her past love letters.
(c) For Michael to quit Farfrae's employment.
(d) For Michael to move away.
3. How does Donald show thanks to Henchard for his attempt to help the night Lucetta dies?
(a) Donald invites Henchard over for supper.
(b) Donald offers Henchard a seed store.
(c) Donald gives a cordial handshake.
(d) Farfrae sends Henchard a foodbasket.
4. What does Farfrae indirectly offer Henchard?
(a) A corn-trussing job.
(b) A bribe to stay out of his life.
(c) Start-up money for a new business.
(d) A partnership.
5. What unexpected thing does Michael do at the parade?
(a) He marches behind the councilman as if he is one of them.
(b) He blocks the entrance at the bridge.
(c) He sits next to Lucetta to watch the parade.
(d) He makes a flag and greets the Royal Personage.
6. What does Elizabeth think she sees in the loft?
(a) Susan's ghost.
(b) Henchard ponders the thought of pushing Farfrae through the trap door.
(c) Lucetta and Henchard secretly meeting.
(d) A mysterious package of letters.
7. What image does Henchard see at Ten Hatches Hole?
(a) Lucetta's effigy.
(b) His effigy.
(c) Donald's face.
(d) The bull horns from the skimmity ride.
8. During the ruckus of the skimmity ride, who shows the most bravery?
(d) The constables.
9. How does Lucetta discover the scandal concerns her?
(a) Elizabeth tells her.
(b) Her cook confesses it is about her.
(c) Lucetta runs out to see her effigy.
(d) Lucetta hears her loud neighbors.
10. Why is Farfrae sent away in the first place?
(a) To prevent a fight between him and Henchard.
(b) To prevent him from stopping the scandal.
(c) To give him a holiday.
(d) To prevent his upcoming embarrassment.
11. What causes Michael's death?
(a) Too weak to eat.
(b) A bloody drunken fight.
(c) A wagon accident.
(d) A heart attack.
12. What becomes of Newson?
(a) He returns to the open seas.
(b) He moves to Budmouth.
(c) He dies.
(d) He sets up a business in Casterbridge.
13. What surprising news do we hear about Lucetta?
(a) Lucetta and Farfrae are not legally married.
(b) Lucetta leaves a fortune for Elizabeth in her will.
(c) Lucetta has more than one affair.
(d) Lucetta is pregnant.
14. Newson confesses he fakes his death. Why does Newson fake it?
(a) In order to let Susan leave honorably.
(b) Newson feels too trapped with a wife and daughter.
(c) Newson has an affair and feels too ashamed to return home.
(d) To teach Susan to be more independent.
15. Where does Lucetta ask Michael to meet?
(a) In the loft.
(b) In the marketplace.
(c) At the Ring.
(d) At the end of the road.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the causes of Henchard's bankruptcy?
2. What makes Henchard change his mind about his fight even before it begins?
3. How does Michael prepare for his fight with Donald?
4. Who warms Donald about the happenings at the Three Mariners?
5. What is Farfrae's reaction when Elizabeth warns him of Henchard's hatred?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)