|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Lucetta ask Michael to meet?
(a) At the Ring.
(b) In the marketplace.
(c) In the loft.
(d) At the end of the road.
2. Where does Farfrae often court Elizabeth?
(a) In the loft.
(b) On Budmouth Road.
(c) The marketplace.
(d) At the ring.
3. On the day of the skimmity ride, who knows where Donald goes to?
(a) Whittle and Elizabeth.
(b) Lucetta and Elizabeth.
(c) Henchard and Whittle.
(d) Lucetta and Henchard.
4. What image does Henchard see at Ten Hatches Hole?
(a) His effigy.
(b) The bull horns from the skimmity ride.
(c) Lucetta's effigy.
(d) Donald's face.
5. What causes Michael's death?
(a) A heart attack.
(b) A bloody drunken fight.
(c) Too weak to eat.
(d) A wagon accident.
6. What does Elizabeth think she sees in the loft?
(a) Lucetta and Henchard secretly meeting.
(b) Susan's ghost.
(c) Henchard ponders the thought of pushing Farfrae through the trap door.
(d) A mysterious package of letters.
7. During the ruckus of the skimmity ride, who shows the most bravery?
(a) The constables.
8. What does Henchard ponder while at Ten Hatches Hole?
(a) Committing suicide.
(b) How to regain Farfrae's trust.
(c) How to keep Elizabeth's love.
(d) How to revenge the plotters of the skimmity ride.
9. Of the townsfolk, who approves Elizabeth's and Donald's courtship?
(a) The men of the Three Mariners.
(b) The councilmen.
(c) The lower class women.
(d) The upper class women.
10. How does Michael act toward Lucetta when they meet on Donald's farm?
(a) Michael is ashamed and runs away from her sight.
(b) Michael leers at her with cold stares.
(c) Michael is nice and wants forgiveness.
(d) Michael speaks sarcastically to her.
11. What surprising news do we hear about Lucetta?
(a) Lucetta and Farfrae are not legally married.
(b) Lucetta has more than one affair.
(c) Lucetta leaves a fortune for Elizabeth in her will.
(d) Lucetta is pregnant.
12. Newson confesses he fakes his death. Why does Newson fake it?
(a) To teach Susan to be more independent.
(b) Newson feels too trapped with a wife and daughter.
(c) Newson has an affair and feels too ashamed to return home.
(d) In order to let Susan leave honorably.
13. What is the cause of Lucetta's death?
(a) Donald leaving her.
(b) Seizures caused by the scandalous skimmity ride.
(c) An accident during the skimmity ride.
(d) Bear of guilt.
14. How does Michael prepare for his fight with Donald?
(a) Michael sings a curse song aimed at Donald.
(b) Michael ties one of his arms down.
(c) Michael hides a knife in some haystacks.
(d) Michael makes a hidden trap door.
15. Who warms Donald about the happenings at the Three Mariners?
(b) Lawyer Joyce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sentimental item does Henchard bring with him on his travels?
2. Newson is ______ Henchard and his lies.
3. What is the town's mood when Mrs. Farfrae's condition is heard?
4. Jopp feels _______ about Lucetta's condition.
5. What does Elizabeth do with Henchard's gift?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)