|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Michael prepare for his fight with Donald?
(a) Michael ties one of his arms down.
(b) Michael makes a hidden trap door.
(c) Michael sings a curse song aimed at Donald.
(d) Michael hides a knife in some haystacks.
2. Who meets Farfrae, but unsuccessfully brings him home to Lucetta?
(c) The doctor.
(d) One of Farfrae's employees.
3. Who sends Donald to his new destination?
(b) Mrs. Cuxsom.
4. What section of town does Michael now live?
(a) Priory Mill.
(b) Stone Bridge.
(c) Durnover Hill.
(d) Mixen Lane.
5. Learning about Henchard's lies, Elizabeth feels what?
6. How does Michael act toward Lucetta when they meet on Donald's farm?
(a) Michael is ashamed and runs away from her sight.
(b) Michael leers at her with cold stares.
(c) Michael speaks sarcastically to her.
(d) Michael is nice and wants forgiveness.
7. Why is Farfrae sent away in the first place?
(a) To give him a holiday.
(b) To prevent his upcoming embarrassment.
(c) To prevent a fight between him and Henchard.
(d) To prevent him from stopping the scandal.
8. Where does Farfrae often court Elizabeth?
(a) On Budmouth Road.
(b) The marketplace.
(c) In the loft.
(d) At the ring.
9. What news does Michael hear at the stone bridge?
(a) Farfrae buys his personal belongings.
(b) Farfrae is hiring corn-trussers.
(c) Jopp knows about the Jersey affair.
(d) Farfrae is mayor.
10. How does Donald show thanks to Henchard for his attempt to help the night Lucetta dies?
(a) Donald offers Henchard a seed store.
(b) Donald gives a cordial handshake.
(c) Farfrae sends Henchard a foodbasket.
(d) Donald invites Henchard over for supper.
11. In what state does Elizabeth find Henchard's gift?
(a) She never finds it.
(b) In perfect condition.
(d) It is lifeless.
12. What types of people linger around the brick bridge?
(a) The bypassers that travel through Casterbridge between work.
(b) The churchgoers.
(c) Gossiping women.
(d) The destitute.
13. What misunderstood rumor reaches Henchard that makes him angry?
(a) Farfrae persuades the councilmen not to elect Henchard.
(b) Farfrae vows to leave town if Henchard becomes mayor.
(c) Farfrae puts a stop to opening a seed store for Henchard.
(d) Farfrae mistreats Lucetta.
14. Where does Michael challenge Donald to a fight?
(a) At Farfrae's home.
(b) In the loft.
(c) At the Three Mariners.
(d) At the ring.
15. What causes Michael's death?
(a) Too weak to eat.
(b) A heart attack.
(c) A bloody drunken fight.
(d) A wagon accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Henchard's former employees view their new boss?
2. Newly bankrupt and now a journeyman, what is the only thing Michael looks forward to?
3. What does Farfrae decide to do to avenge his wife's death?
4. What does Michael do to further exemplify his selfishness?
5. Where does Farfrae leave to after his fight?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)