|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Lucetta ask Michael to meet?
(a) In the marketplace.
(b) At the Ring.
(c) At the end of the road.
(d) In the loft.
2. Henchard observes ______ while spying on Elizabeth.
(a) The furmity woman.
(d) Councilman Tubb.
3. Who helps fund the "skimmity ride"?
(a) Unknowingly Farfrae does.
(b) Mrs. Cuxsom.
(c) A passing stranger.
4. On the day of the skimmity ride, who knows where Donald goes to?
(a) Lucetta and Henchard.
(b) Lucetta and Elizabeth.
(c) Henchard and Whittle.
(d) Whittle and Elizabeth.
5. Who sends Donald to his new destination?
(c) Mrs. Cuxsom.
6. What is Newson's reaction to Henchard's news about Elizabeth?
(d) Not surprised.
7. What does Michael do with his last possessions?
(a) He sells his last possessions to pay his new landlord rent.
(b) He sets them in front of his old house, unable to leave.
(c) He sells his watch and gives his last pocket money to a small creditor.
(d) He gives them to Elizabeth and asks for forgiveness.
8. Learning about Henchard's lies, Elizabeth feels what?
9. What does Jopp ask of Lucetta?
(a) A corn-trussing position.
(b) Where Elizabeth is.
(c) To take Henchard off his hands.
(d) Partnership with Farfrae.
10. What does Elizabeth do with Henchard's gift?
(a) Bury it.
(b) Burn it.
(c) Store it in the closet.
(d) Throw it in the garbage.
11. What causes Michael's death?
(a) A bloody drunken fight.
(b) A heart attack.
(c) A wagon accident.
(d) Too weak to eat.
12. How does Michael prepare for his fight with Donald?
(a) Michael hides a knife in some haystacks.
(b) Michael makes a hidden trap door.
(c) Michael ties one of his arms down.
(d) Michael sings a curse song aimed at Donald.
13. What does Farfrae decide to do to avenge his wife's death?
(a) Loiter Peter's Finger until information is retrieved.
(b) Recruit all the councilman and constables for an investigation.
(c) Offer a monetary award for information.
(d) Nothing because it only prolongs everyone's embarrassment.
14. How does Elizabeth address Henchard when she sees him on her wedding day?
(a) Mr. Henchard.
(b) Father ... uh ... Mr. Henchard.
15. What does Lucetta believe is her only "practicable weapon"?
(a) Her power in money.
(b) She does not feel she has any.
(c) Her power as the mayor's wife.
(d) Power of persuasion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Michael is paranoid that Donald ___________.
2. Of the townsfolk, who approves Elizabeth's and Donald's courtship?
3. What becomes of Newson?
4. During the ruckus of the skimmity ride, who shows the most bravery?
5. What types of people linger around the brick bridge?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)