|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new information keeps Donald from leaving town?
(a) All his friends fail in their adventure abroad.
(b) Donald is offered the mayoral position.
(c) His business is profiting more than ever.
(d) Lucetta persuades him to stay in Casterbridge.
2. What is the motive behind the "skimmity ride"?
(a) The furmity woman wants to revenge the town.
(b) The lower class hates Farfrae.
(c) Cuxsom is in love with Henchard.
(d) Pure fun against the upper class.
3. What does Lucetta request from Henchard?
(a) For Michael to quit Farfrae's employment.
(b) Her past love letters.
(c) For Michael to move away.
(d) For Michael to treat Elizabeth more fairly.
4. When Henchard meets Lucetta, she reminds him of _________.
(b) Mrs. Cuxom.
(d) The furmity woman.
5. Newson is ______ Henchard and his lies.
(a) Angry at.
(b) Worried about.
(c) Appalled by.
(d) Undaunted by.
6. What does Henchard do with his gift for Elizabeth?
(a) He leaves it outside her home.
(b) He sends it via a messenger.
(c) He returns it.
(d) He secretly places it in her room.
7. Henchard observes ______ while spying on Elizabeth.
(a) The furmity woman.
(b) Councilman Tubb.
8. Who does Michael turn to when he goes bankrupt?
(c) Councilman Tubb.
9. What are the councilmen and Farfrae's plans for Henchard?
(a) To re-appoint him mayor.
(b) To give back his old business.
(c) To rent out a seed store for Henchard.
(d) To make him a councilman.
10. What makes Farfrae fall out of favor with the lower class?
(a) Farfrae bullies his journeymen at work.
(b) The lower class has a strong bond with Henchard.
(c) No one respects his decision to marry Lucetta.
(d) He is changed from his singing Scotchman days to an upper class man.
11. Learning about Henchard's lies, Elizabeth feels what?
12. Where does Farfrae often court Elizabeth?
(a) At the ring.
(b) The marketplace.
(c) In the loft.
(d) On Budmouth Road.
13. What causes Michael to see Elizabeth in a new light?
(a) Farfrae and Henchard reconcile and discuss Elizabeth's pure nature.
(b) He sees Elizabeth's genuine affection for all that is good and pure.
(c) On her deathbed, Lucetta makes Henchard see Elizabeth's pure heart.
(d) Elizabeth insists on visiting him daily.
14. What does Farfrae indirectly offer Henchard?
(a) Start-up money for a new business.
(b) A partnership.
(c) A corn-trussing job.
(d) A bribe to stay out of his life.
15. What does Michael do with his last possessions?
(a) He sets them in front of his old house, unable to leave.
(b) He sells his watch and gives his last pocket money to a small creditor.
(c) He gives them to Elizabeth and asks for forgiveness.
(d) He sells his last possessions to pay his new landlord rent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who nurses Henchard on his deathbed?
2. What is the people's reaction to the skiff between Michael and Donald?
3. Who helps fund the "skimmity ride"?
4. What does Jopp ask of Lucetta?
5. What causes greater enmity between Michael and Henchard?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)