|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henchard show that he now thinks of Elizabeth above himself?
(a) Henchard requests Donald to court her.
(b) He gives Elizabeth a foodbasket he feels he does not deserve.
(c) He makes her breakfast every morning.
(d) He accepts the offer of a seed store to give to her.
2. Henchard observes ______ while spying on Elizabeth.
(b) The furmity woman.
(d) Councilman Tubb.
3. What does Elizabeth do with Henchard's gift?
(a) Store it in the closet.
(b) Burn it.
(c) Throw it in the garbage.
(d) Bury it.
4. In what state does Elizabeth find Henchard's gift?
(a) She never finds it.
(b) In perfect condition.
(c) It is lifeless.
5. Who helps fund the "skimmity ride"?
(a) Unknowingly Farfrae does.
(c) Mrs. Cuxsom.
(d) A passing stranger.
6. What brings Michael over the edge and gets him to start drinking again?
(a) Jopp and Farfrae are becoming friends.
(b) Lucetta is having a baby.
(c) Lucetta and Elizabeth ignore him completely in the market.
(d) News that Farfrae is mayor.
7. Who does Michael turn to when he goes bankrupt?
(c) Councilman Tubb.
8. What does Michael do to further exemplify his selfishness?
(a) Lies to Newson about Elizabeth.
(b) Ask Elizabeth if Lucetta mentions him on her deathbed.
(c) Tells Elizabeth to make breakfast despite her sleepless night.
(d) Enter the Farfrae household and demand to know what is going on.
9. What does Henchard do with his gift for Elizabeth?
(a) He sends it via a messenger.
(b) He leaves it outside her home.
(c) He returns it.
(d) He secretly places it in her room.
10. Where does Lucetta ask Michael to meet?
(a) In the loft.
(b) In the marketplace.
(c) At the end of the road.
(d) At the Ring.
11. Who is the first to aid Lucetta?
(a) Her neighbor.
(b) Her cook.
12. What is Michael's solution to the upcoming disclosure of his lie to Newson?
(a) Henchard writes a note defending his stance to Elizabeth.
(b) Michael coerces Elizabeth to stay with him instead.
(c) Michael intercepts Newson and threatens him.
(d) Henchard decides to leave Casterbridge.
13. How does Michael prepare for his fight with Donald?
(a) Michael hides a knife in some haystacks.
(b) Michael sings a curse song aimed at Donald.
(c) Michael makes a hidden trap door.
(d) Michael ties one of his arms down.
14. What causes greater enmity between Michael and Henchard?
(a) Donald is forced to dismiss Henchard as a journeyman.
(b) Lucetta tells Donald the truth about her affair.
(c) Donald pushes Henchard in public.
(d) Henchard pushes Donald in public.
15. What makes Farfrae fall out of favor with the lower class?
(a) No one respects his decision to marry Lucetta.
(b) He is changed from his singing Scotchman days to an upper class man.
(c) The lower class has a strong bond with Henchard.
(d) Farfrae bullies his journeymen at work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What delays Jopp from running Henchard's errand?
2. In chapter 42, what seems to worry Michael the most?
3. What causes Michael's death?
4. Michael is paranoid that Donald ___________.
5. What types of people linger around the brick bridge?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)