|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who nurses Henchard on his deathbed?
(c) A stranger.
2. How does Elizabeth address Henchard when she sees him on her wedding day?
(b) Father ... uh ... Mr. Henchard.
(c) Mr. Henchard.
3. What is the cause of Lucetta's death?
(a) Donald leaving her.
(b) Bear of guilt.
(c) An accident during the skimmity ride.
(d) Seizures caused by the scandalous skimmity ride.
4. What misunderstood rumor reaches Henchard that makes him angry?
(a) Farfrae mistreats Lucetta.
(b) Farfrae persuades the councilmen not to elect Henchard.
(c) Farfrae vows to leave town if Henchard becomes mayor.
(d) Farfrae puts a stop to opening a seed store for Henchard.
5. Henchard observes ______ while spying on Elizabeth.
(a) Councilman Tubb.
(d) The furmity woman.
6. What does Jopp ask of Lucetta?
(a) Partnership with Farfrae.
(b) To take Henchard off his hands.
(c) Where Elizabeth is.
(d) A corn-trussing position.
7. How does Lucetta react to Michael in Donald's farm?
(a) Lucetta ignores him and keeps her stride.
(b) Lucetta writes a letter requesting he stop his patronization.
(c) Lucetta approaches Michael and asks if he wants some tea.
(d) Lucetta stares icily until Henchard turns away.
8. In what state does Elizabeth find Henchard's gift?
(a) She never finds it.
(b) It is lifeless.
(d) In perfect condition.
9. What does Henchard's will request?
(a) To be cremated and spread in Casterbridge.
(b) That Farfrae forgives him.
(c) To be buried in the ring.
(d) That no one honour him nor remember him.
10. What drunken act does Michael do at the Three Mariners?
(a) He reads Lucetta's letters aloud.
(b) He forces the band to play Psalm 109.
(c) He initiates a brawl.
(d) He sings and curses Farfrae.
11. Jopp feels _______ about Lucetta's condition.
12. Who warms Donald about the happenings at the Three Mariners?
(d) Lawyer Joyce.
13. What becomes of Weydon-Priors?
(a) It is unchanged from twenty five years ago.
(b) It revives when a neighboring town grows nearby.
(c) It is usurped by a large city.
(d) It is bare.
14. How does Michael prepare for his fight with Donald?
(a) Michael ties one of his arms down.
(b) Michael hides a knife in some haystacks.
(c) Michael sings a curse song aimed at Donald.
(d) Michael makes a hidden trap door.
15. What does Farfrae indirectly offer Henchard?
(a) A partnership.
(b) A bribe to stay out of his life.
(c) Start-up money for a new business.
(d) A corn-trussing job.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Henchard leaves Casterbridge, what employment does he find?
2. Who is the first to aid Lucetta?
3. Learning about Henchard's lies, Elizabeth feels what?
4. What section of town does Michael now live?
5. What is Michael's solution to the upcoming disclosure of his lie to Newson?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)