|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the causes of Henchard's bankruptcy?
(a) Farfrae steals all his customers.
(b) Bad weather.
(c) A debtor cannot pay Henchard on time.
(d) Henchard fires half his employees in a fury.
2. What makes Elizabeth wary of Henchard's hatred toward Farfrae?
(a) Elizabeth would rather have Henchard focus his hate on Lucetta.
(b) She is dubious of Michael's courage to revenge Farfrae.
(c) She believes he does something dangerous to Farfrae.
(d) Elizabeth is afraid he hurts Lucetta to revenge Farfrae.
3. What are Henchard's intentions when retrieving some letters from Farfrae?
(a) To read them to Lucetta, hoping to evoke some emotions from her.
(b) To burn them immediately.
(c) To tell Farfrae about his affair with Lucetta.
(d) To hide the letters in case he needs to blackmail Lucetta in the future.
4. What does Michael do with his last possessions?
(a) He sells his last possessions to pay his new landlord rent.
(b) He sells his watch and gives his last pocket money to a small creditor.
(c) He gives them to Elizabeth and asks for forgiveness.
(d) He sets them in front of his old house, unable to leave.
5. What causes greater enmity between Michael and Henchard?
(a) Lucetta tells Donald the truth about her affair.
(b) Donald pushes Henchard in public.
(c) Henchard pushes Donald in public.
(d) Donald is forced to dismiss Henchard as a journeyman.
6. Who sends Donald to his new destination?
(d) Mrs. Cuxsom.
7. During the ruckus of the skimmity ride, who shows the most bravery?
(d) The constables.
8. Who does Michael turn to when he goes bankrupt?
(c) Councilman Tubb.
9. What happens to Michael's business?
(a) The town burns it down.
(b) The banks close it down.
(c) The barns and granaries are raided by his former employees.
(d) Farfrae buys Michael's business.
10. Where does Farfrae often court Elizabeth?
(a) In the loft.
(b) At the ring.
(c) The marketplace.
(d) On Budmouth Road.
11. What does Elizabeth think she sees in the loft?
(a) Lucetta and Henchard secretly meeting.
(b) Susan's ghost.
(c) A mysterious package of letters.
(d) Henchard ponders the thought of pushing Farfrae through the trap door.
12. Where does Michael challenge Donald to a fight?
(a) At the ring.
(b) At the Three Mariners.
(c) In the loft.
(d) At Farfrae's home.
13. How does Newson show he is a good father?
(a) He buys Elizabeth a store to help her make an income.
(b) He finds Elizabeth to help financially support her.
(c) He brings Elizabeth many gifts on his return.
(d) Newson keeps a lock of Elizabeth's hair at all times to remember her.
14. The patrons of Peter's Finger feels what with the upper class?
(b) A sad gap.
(c) In union.
15. In what state does Elizabeth find Henchard's gift?
(a) She never finds it.
(b) In perfect condition.
(c) It is lifeless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henchard warn Lucetta?
2. How does Michael prepare for his fight with Donald?
3. What does Michael do to further exemplify his selfishness?
4. What big celebration is coming up in Casterbridge?
5. What types of people linger around the brick bridge?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)