|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Elizabeth when she goes to see Henchard?
(a) Henchard's estate is too large to find him.
(b) She meets Farfrae unexpectedly.
(c) She discovers she is Henchard's daughter.
(d) She finds out Henchard and Susan are once married.
2. How does Michael feel after Susan's death?
3. In chapter 29, what does Lucetta offer Henchard?
(a) Money for his business.
(b) A scheme against Farfrae.
(c) A long engagement.
(d) An immediate marriage.
4. What is Michael Henchard's initial reaction when Elizabeth requests to leave?
(a) He is suspicious.
(b) He is agreeable and willing.
(c) He is angry she leaves him.
(d) He is hurt.
5. What consequence occurs when Henchard makes a bad corn deal?
(a) The farmers threaten Henchard if they don't get their pay.
(b) The bank takes possession of his belongings.
(c) Henchard is evicted from his home.
(d) The only person to loan Henchard money is Farfrae.
6. How does Michael describe Donald's knock?
(a) Too soft.
(b) Half and half, gentle and simple.
(c) Too abrupt.
7. What does Lucetta do when the town hears the rumors from the defendant about the magistrate?
(a) She leaves town for a few days.
(b) She confronts Michael about the truth.
(c) She tells Farfrae they cannot be together anymore.
(d) She gives the house to Elizabeth and moves away.
8. What surprises Henchard the most about Farfrae?
(a) The Scotchman wants a third of his business if he is to be hired.
(b) That a stranger is willing to help without pay.
(c) That Farfrae is going to America to harvest wheat.
(d) That the Scotchman is willing to correct the wheat problem for free.
9. What is the relationship like between Susan and Michael?
(a) Happy and content.
(b) Indifferent since they are an arranged marriage.
(c) Resentful from both sides.
(d) Loving from Susan to Michael, but Michael detests Susan.
10. How does Susan feel about the choreographed courtship?
(a) She revels in the attention.
(c) Dubious of the plan's success.
(d) Dishonest to Elizabeth.
11. What is Farfrae's initial impression of Elizabeth Jane?
(a) He is attracted, but sets on heading to America.
(b) He finds her charming and considers staying for her.
(c) He finds her below his level.
(d) He does not notice her.
12. What does Farfrae do that wins the inn patrons over?
(a) He buys a round for everyone in the common room.
(b) He orates classic poetry with artistic drama.
(c) He fixes the bad wheat problem.
(d) He sings a melody about his home country.
13. Although now the town beauty, what does Elizabeth feel she still lacks?
(b) A proper education.
(c) A proper lady's demeanor.
(d) Fashionable sensibility.
14. How does Henchard's demeanor toward Elizabeth change when he hears Susan is alive?
(a) He becomes even more distant.
(b) He gets upset.
(c) He is affectionate and kind.
(d) He is speechless.
15. What does Lucetta request from Henchard?
(a) Immediate marriage.
(b) An extramarital affair.
(c) A meeting with her letters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Abel's punishment for being chronically late?
2. What surprising feature does Elizabeth and Susan notice about the glasses in front of the mayor?
3. What is Michael's reaction to what the defendant says?
4. At the scene of the wagon crash, when Henchard's man says the word of Lucetta and Elizabeth Jane are not to be accounted for because all women swoon for Donald, Henchard __________.
5. What is the main cause of Henchard's celebration failure?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)