|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Henchard hire to compete against Farfrae?
(b) Mr. Cuxom.
(d) One of the councilmen.
2. How does Michael feel after Susan's death?
3. Where does Elizabeth move to when she leaves Henchard's house?
(a) High Place Hall.
(b) Into Farfrae's home.
(c) Closer to her mother's grave.
(d) Durnover Hill.
4. Where does Donald set up his new business?
(a) Dunnigan Hill.
(b) Durnover Hill.
(c) West Walk.
(d) Bowling Walk.
5. How does Elizabeth receive her new home and money?
(a) She uses it to gain status around town.
(b) She abides by the saying, "Take, have, and keep."
(c) She enjoys the freedom.
(d) She feels out of place in the big house.
6. What surprising feature does Elizabeth and Susan notice about the glasses in front of the mayor?
(a) There are no glasses.
(b) All three of sherry, port, and wine are still full.
(c) There is only one glass.
(d) The ones for wine are empty.
7. What does Elizabeth notice about the backdoor of Miss Templeman's home?
(a) It faces the marketplace.
(b) The alley entrance is as bright as the front entrance.
(c) It is hidden behind a curtain.
(d) The keystone is a disfigured mask.
8. What news are the townsfolk waiting for at the end of chapter 30?
(a) Whether Henchard keeps his business.
(b) What becomes of the furmity woman.
(c) Whether Donald keeps his business.
(d) What becomes of Elizabeth.
9. What causes Michael to be bitter towards Elizabeth?
(a) Elizabeth brings his status down in town.
(b) He discovers she is not his real daughter.
(c) She spends too much of his hard earned money.
(d) She is in courtship with Farfrae.
10. What is Jopp's reaction to Henchard's curt behavior?
(b) Sensitively hurt.
(c) Disappointed, but understands business is business.
(d) Angry and bitterly disappointed.
11. What surprises Henchard the most about Farfrae?
(a) That the Scotchman is willing to correct the wheat problem for free.
(b) The Scotchman wants a third of his business if he is to be hired.
(c) That a stranger is willing to help without pay.
(d) That Farfrae is going to America to harvest wheat.
12. What is Lucetta's initial response when she meets Farfrae?
(a) She is attracted and flirts with him.
(b) She hardly takes notice.
(c) She thinks he is smart, but not comparatively to Henchard.
(d) She disapproves of him.
13. What is Farfrae's reaction to Henchard's confession?
(a) Farfrae tucks the information away for a future opportunity to enhance his own career.
(b) Farfrae no longer respects Henchard.
(c) He is able to relate to Henchard, since he is a man with a past as well.
(d) Surprised, but helpful.
14. Where is the first place Michael heads to when he wakes up in the morning in the furmity tent?
(a) A neighbor's for breakfast.
(b) The seaport.
(c) The church.
(d) The nearest farm.
15. Susan writes a letter to Michael when on her deathbed. What does she request of him concerning this letter?
(a) That he opens it only after she passes away.
(b) That he reads it in secrecy and burns the letter afterward.
(c) To forgive her for her simplicity.
(d) That he opens it on Elizabeth's wedding day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael decide to do when he discovers his wife emigrates?
2. What does the Scotchman do to get the mayor's attention?
3. What is the main cause of Henchard's celebration failure?
4. How do Susan and Elizabeth pay for their lodgings, despite their little income?
5. What does Farfrae and Susan observe about Henchard?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)