|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rash and regretful decision does Henchard make at Donald's celebration?
(a) Henchard grabs his wife and daughter and leaves vehemently.
(b) Henchard denounces everyone for paying a fee rather than attending his free celebration.
(c) Henchard drinks for the first time since his oath.
(d) Henchard terminates Farfrae's employment.
2. What news are the townsfolk waiting for at the end of chapter 30?
(a) Whether Henchard keeps his business.
(b) What becomes of Elizabeth.
(c) Whether Donald keeps his business.
(d) What becomes of the furmity woman.
3. How do Susan and Elizabeth pay for their lodgings, despite their little income?
(a) Farfrae lends them a loan.
(b) The nice landlady gives the tired strangers a break.
(c) Elizabeth works for the landlady to discount the price.
(d) Susan and her daughter work the kitchen for each night's stay.
4. Where do Susan and Elizabeth Jane go for lodgings?
(a) The mayor's mansion.
(b) The Three Mariners.
(c) The King's Arms.
(d) The nearest farm.
5. What does the Scotchman do to get the mayor's attention?
(a) He sends a note via the waiter.
(b) He never gets the mayor's attenion.
(c) He writes a note and throws it through the window.
(d) He waits for the mayor to leave the party and approaches him.
6. At the scene of the wagon crash, when Henchard's man says the word of Lucetta and Elizabeth Jane are not to be accounted for because all women swoon for Donald, Henchard __________.
(a) Implores the truth of the statement from the women.
(b) Agrees with him and dismisses the women.
(c) Defends the women.
(d) Becomes furious at the reminder and rushes off.
7. How does Elizabeth receive her new home and money?
(a) She feels out of place in the big house.
(b) She uses it to gain status around town.
(c) She abides by the saying, "Take, have, and keep."
(d) She enjoys the freedom.
8. What stages does Michael go through when drunk?
(a) Serenity, jovial, argumentative, then quarrelsome.
(b) Happy, frustrated, then argumentative.
(c) Peaceful, happy, excited, then mean.
(d) Calm, jovial, angry, then quarrelsome.
9. Why does Lucetta invite Elizabeth to live with her?
(a) To teach Elizabeth a more refined way of living.
(b) To get Elizabeth closer to Farfrae.
(c) To give Henchard an excuse to visit her home.
(d) To take Elizabeth away from Henchard's demeaning home.
10. In chapter 24, what makes Elizabeth upset?
(a) Lucetta and Henchard show attraction towards one another.
(b) She is envious of Miss Templeman's fashionability.
(c) Lucetta and Farfrae show attraction towards one another.
(d) Henchard publicly dismisses her and Miss Templeman at the market.
11. How do you describe Henchard's disposition towards strangers?
(a) Rude and contemptuous.
(b) Bland and disinterested.
(c) Charming and cordial.
(d) Festive and hearty.
12. Weydon Priors can be described as ...
(a) A bustling city.
(b) A ghost town.
(c) A plain farmtown.
(d) The next big thing.
13. What is Elizabeth's plan when she hears the reasons for the town bells and music?
(a) She moves out of High Place Hall.
(b) She goes to the Ring to seek her mother.
(c) She stays at the Three Mariners.
(d) She congratulates the happy couple immediately.
14. Michael incessantly criticizes Elizabeth for what?
(a) Her courtship with Farfrae.
(b) Her dialect.
(c) Her inability to stand up for herself.
(d) Her fashion sense.
15. What do the people of Casterbridge know of the mayor's past wife?
(a) They know nothing.
(b) They don't think the mayor is ever married since he comes to Casterbridge alone.
(c) She leaves him for another man.
(d) They believe she dies at sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henchard's impression of the new machinery?
2. What do the boys of Casterbridge nickname Susan?
3. What surprises Henchard the most about Farfrae?
4. What surprising feature does Elizabeth and Susan notice about the glasses in front of the mayor?
5. What event occurs in Port-Bredy?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)