|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Susan and her daughter first see Michael Henchard?
(a) Just outside the King's Arms looking in.
(b) At the Three Mariners.
(c) At a local bakery.
(d) At the King's Arms.
2. What are Michael's first words when he sees Susan after so many years?
(a) "I looked for you."
(b) "I'm sorry."
(c) "I don't drink."
(d) "I love you."
3. What occupies Elizabeth's mind after the celebration is over?
(a) The quarrel between Henchard and Farfrae.
(b) Donald Farfrae.
(c) The failure of her father's celebration.
(d) The music and the dancing.
4. What makes Elizabeth believe Donald is not interested in wooing her?
(a) Farfrae is too smart for her.
(b) She is the stepdaughter of a contemptuous man.
(c) She believes she is too plain.
(d) Farfrae opens up a competing business against her father's.
5. Four pennies are used to keep Susan's eyes closed. What becomes of them after Martha buries them?
(a) Coney digs it out to use for drink.
(b) Elizabeth digs it out to keep.
(c) Abel finds them by accident and brings them back to his mother.
(d) It rusts and and stays buried with the Romans of historical past.
6. What surprises Elizabeth when she goes to see Henchard?
(a) She discovers she is Henchard's daughter.
(b) She meets Farfrae unexpectedly.
(c) She finds out Henchard and Susan are once married.
(d) Henchard's estate is too large to find him.
7. Where does Elizabeth move to when she leaves Henchard's house?
(a) Durnover Hill.
(b) Closer to her mother's grave.
(c) High Place Hall.
(d) Into Farfrae's home.
8. What does Farfrae and Susan observe about Henchard?
(a) Henchard is paranoid.
(b) Henchard is a conman.
(c) Henchard has sudden moods.
(d) Henchard exudes charity to all around him.
9. What does Farfrae do at the hiring market?
(a) He dissuades those that want to work for Henchard.
(b) He hires a man and his wife.
(c) He speaks kindly of Henchard to farmers that want Michael's employment.
(d) He hires a man and his father.
10. What is Michael Henchard's initial reaction when Elizabeth requests to leave?
(a) He is suspicious.
(b) He is angry she leaves him.
(c) He is hurt.
(d) He is agreeable and willing.
11. How do Susan and Elizabeth pay for their lodgings, despite their little income?
(a) Susan and her daughter work the kitchen for each night's stay.
(b) Elizabeth works for the landlady to discount the price.
(c) The nice landlady gives the tired strangers a break.
(d) Farfrae lends them a loan.
12. What is Jopp's reaction to Henchard's curt behavior?
(a) Disappointed, but understands business is business.
(b) Sensitively hurt.
(c) Angry and bitterly disappointed.
13. What is the main cause of Henchard's celebration failure?
(a) The set-up is much too far for the majority of the townsfolk.
(b) Bad weather.
(c) He charges a fee while Donald does not.
(d) The music is not as good as that in Donald's pavilion.
14. To whom does Michael go for weather advice?
(d) The weather-caster.
15. What does Lucetta do when the town hears the rumors from the defendant about the magistrate?
(a) She tells Farfrae they cannot be together anymore.
(b) She confronts Michael about the truth.
(c) She leaves town for a few days.
(d) She gives the house to Elizabeth and moves away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Michael ask Susan to meet after learning she is still alive?
2. At the scene of the wagon crash, when Henchard's man says the word of Lucetta and Elizabeth Jane are not to be accounted for because all women swoon for Donald, Henchard __________.
3. What is one of Henchard's motives for his remarriage with Susan?
4. What do Susan and Michael decide about Elizabeth?
5. What do the boys of Casterbridge nickname Susan?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)