|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Elizabeth's manner when she first sees Farfrae in his room?
(a) Observant and silent.
(b) Earnest and talkative.
2. How does Michael feel after Susan's death?
3. In chapter 28, why do so many gather around Town Hall?
(a) The name of the new mayor is to be announced.
(b) The defendant tells Lucetta's secret.
(c) There is a large wagon crash.
(d) The defendant spread the rumor she tells a secret of the magistrate.
4. What does Susan fear about meeting Michael Henchard?
(a) That he does not help despite financial success.
(b) That he does not remember their daughter.
(c) That he's drunken himself to his tomb.
(d) That he considers his sale binding.
5. What surprises Elizabeth when she goes to see Henchard?
(a) She discovers she is Henchard's daughter.
(b) Henchard's estate is too large to find him.
(c) She meets Farfrae unexpectedly.
(d) She finds out Henchard and Susan are once married.
6. How does Donald treat Elizabeth when conversing with the women of High Place Hall?
(a) Donald does not acknowledge her presence.
(b) He feels pity for her.
(c) He attempts to bring her into the conversations.
(d) He feels lucky to have her in the same room.
7. What do the boys of Casterbridge nickname Susan?
(a) The Simpleton.
(b) The Cottage Woman.
(c) The Ghost.
(d) The Plain Genteel.
8. What does Elizabeth notice about the backdoor of Miss Templeman's home?
(a) The alley entrance is as bright as the front entrance.
(b) It faces the marketplace.
(c) The keystone is a disfigured mask.
(d) It is hidden behind a curtain.
9. What event occurs in Port-Bredy?
(a) Lucetta sets up home away from Casterbridge.
(b) Lucetta and Donald marry.
(c) Lucetta and Henchard marry.
(d) Farfrae has an affair with Lucetta.
10. How does Elizabeth receive her new home and money?
(a) She enjoys the freedom.
(b) She uses it to gain status around town.
(c) She feels out of place in the big house.
(d) She abides by the saying, "Take, have, and keep."
11. Where do Susan and Elizabeth Jane go for lodgings?
(a) The Three Mariners.
(b) The mayor's mansion.
(c) The nearest farm.
(d) The King's Arms.
12. In chapter 19, what act blatantly shows Michael's disrespect for Susan's request?
(a) He does not help Elizabeth receive an education.
(b) He marries the Jersey woman immediately after her death.
(c) He tells Farfrae and Elizabeth to discontinue their courtship.
(d) He opens Susan's deathbed letter early.
13. What surprises Henchard the most about Farfrae?
(a) That Farfrae is going to America to harvest wheat.
(b) The Scotchman wants a third of his business if he is to be hired.
(c) That the Scotchman is willing to correct the wheat problem for free.
(d) That a stranger is willing to help without pay.
14. What is Michael Henchard's initial reaction when Elizabeth requests to leave?
(a) He is angry she leaves him.
(b) He is agreeable and willing.
(c) He is suspicious.
(d) He is hurt.
15. How does Lucetta regard Elizabeth's feelings for Donald?
(a) Lucetta is oblivious.
(b) Lucetta does not care enough to disregard her own feelings first.
(c) Lucetta pities Elizabeth.
(d) Lucetta thinks Elizabeth is silly for thinking she has a chance.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Michael go for weather advice?
2. What does Lucetta request from Henchard?
3. In chapter 24, what makes Elizabeth upset?
4. How does Henchard's demeanor toward Elizabeth change when he hears Susan is alive?
5. What is the main cause of Henchard's celebration failure?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)