|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do you describe Henchard's disposition towards strangers?
(a) Festive and hearty.
(b) Bland and disinterested.
(c) Rude and contemptuous.
(d) Charming and cordial.
2. How does Michael feel after Susan's death?
3. How does Elizabeth receive her new home and money?
(a) She uses it to gain status around town.
(b) She feels out of place in the big house.
(c) She enjoys the freedom.
(d) She abides by the saying, "Take, have, and keep."
4. How does Susan know Michael Henchard is in Casterbridge?
(a) She asks the furmity woman.
(b) Through hearsay on the street.
(c) From a friend.
(d) Michael contacts Susan first.
5. What surprises Henchard the most about Farfrae?
(a) That the Scotchman is willing to correct the wheat problem for free.
(b) That Farfrae is going to America to harvest wheat.
(c) The Scotchman wants a third of his business if he is to be hired.
(d) That a stranger is willing to help without pay.
6. How does Henchard first learn the townspeople prefer Donald over him?
(a) A lawyer from Henchard's celebration tells him.
(b) Through a messenger boy from Durnover.
(c) From a councilman.
(d) Henchard sees it in the people's faces as they admire Donald dancing.
7. How does Henchard almost reveal to Elizabeth she is his daughter?
(a) He asks Susan about Elizabeth's hair color.
(b) When Henchard and Elizabeth are in the garden, he talks about the church in Weydon Priors.
(c) He asks Susan about how Elizabeth handles the voyage to Canada.
(d) He recalls a time of holding her when she is young.
8. What occupies Elizabeth's mind after the celebration is over?
(a) The music and the dancing.
(b) Donald Farfrae.
(c) The quarrel between Henchard and Farfrae.
(d) The failure of her father's celebration.
9. When Elizabeth meets Lucetta on the road, who/what attacks them?
(a) A wild horse.
(c) A raging bull.
10. What do the boys of Casterbridge nickname Susan?
(a) The Ghost.
(b) The Cottage Woman.
(c) The Plain Genteel.
(d) The Simpleton.
11. What is Lucetta's initial response when she meets Farfrae?
(a) She thinks he is smart, but not comparatively to Henchard.
(b) She hardly takes notice.
(c) She disapproves of him.
(d) She is attracted and flirts with him.
12. Now in Casterbridge, what does Lucetta expect from Henchard?
(a) For Michael to treat Elizabeth well.
(b) Courtship and marriage.
(c) A share in his business.
(d) Monetary compensation.
13. Four pennies are used to keep Susan's eyes closed. What becomes of them after Martha buries them?
(a) Elizabeth digs it out to keep.
(b) It rusts and and stays buried with the Romans of historical past.
(c) Coney digs it out to use for drink.
(d) Abel finds them by accident and brings them back to his mother.
14. What is Jopp's reaction to Henchard's curt behavior?
(a) Sensitively hurt.
(b) Angry and bitterly disappointed.
(c) Disappointed, but understands business is business.
15. What does Lucetta do when Michael finally calls for her?
(a) She scolds him for his lateness.
(b) She sends him away.
(c) She hides behind a curtain.
(d) She welcomes him in with waiting arms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new machinery is introduced at the Saturday market?
2. What does Farfrae do at the hiring market?
3. How does Elizabeth and Lucetta meet?
4. What does the Scotchman do to get the mayor's attention?
5. What do Susan and Michael decide about Elizabeth?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)