|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Michael Henchard's initial reaction when Elizabeth requests to leave?
(a) He is agreeable and willing.
(b) He is hurt.
(c) He is suspicious.
(d) He is angry she leaves him.
2. How does Michael discover Lucetta is in Casterbridge?
(a) Michael sees her at Susan's grave.
(b) Elizabeth describes the mystery woman to Henchard.
(c) Lucetta strategically runs into him at the marketplace.
(d) He remembers Templeman is Lucetta's aunt's surname.
3. What are Farfrae's plans when he arrives in Casterbridge?
(a) To spread the word of how lovely his country is to the world.
(b) To sell his wheat processing invention.
(c) To apply for the manager's position with the mayor.
(d) To move on to Bristol and then to America.
4. What consequence occurs when Henchard makes a bad corn deal?
(a) The only person to loan Henchard money is Farfrae.
(b) The farmers threaten Henchard if they don't get their pay.
(c) Henchard is evicted from his home.
(d) The bank takes possession of his belongings.
5. How does Lucetta regard Elizabeth's feelings for Donald?
(a) Lucetta pities Elizabeth.
(b) Lucetta thinks Elizabeth is silly for thinking she has a chance.
(c) Lucetta does not care enough to disregard her own feelings first.
(d) Lucetta is oblivious.
6. What does Farfrae and Susan observe about Henchard?
(a) Henchard is a conman.
(b) Henchard is paranoid.
(c) Henchard exudes charity to all around him.
(d) Henchard has sudden moods.
7. How does Michael feel after Susan's death?
8. What rash and regretful decision does Henchard make at Donald's celebration?
(a) Henchard drinks for the first time since his oath.
(b) Henchard grabs his wife and daughter and leaves vehemently.
(c) Henchard terminates Farfrae's employment.
(d) Henchard denounces everyone for paying a fee rather than attending his free celebration.
9. In chapter 28, why do so many gather around Town Hall?
(a) The defendant spread the rumor she tells a secret of the magistrate.
(b) The name of the new mayor is to be announced.
(c) The defendant tells Lucetta's secret.
(d) There is a large wagon crash.
10. In chapter 29, what does Lucetta offer Henchard?
(a) An immediate marriage.
(b) A scheme against Farfrae.
(c) Money for his business.
(d) A long engagement.
11. What is Farfrae's reaction to Henchard's confession?
(a) Farfrae no longer respects Henchard.
(b) Surprised, but helpful.
(c) Farfrae tucks the information away for a future opportunity to enhance his own career.
(d) He is able to relate to Henchard, since he is a man with a past as well.
12. What is one of Henchard's motives for his remarriage with Susan?
(a) To punish himself.
(b) To find love again.
(c) He is obliged by an oath he makes nineteen years ago.
(d) A married man is more respectable than a bachelor.
13. When Elizabeth meets Lucetta on the road, who/what attacks them?
(a) A wild horse.
(b) A raging bull.
14. In chapter 19, what act blatantly shows Michael's disrespect for Susan's request?
(a) He tells Farfrae and Elizabeth to discontinue their courtship.
(b) He marries the Jersey woman immediately after her death.
(c) He opens Susan's deathbed letter early.
(d) He does not help Elizabeth receive an education.
15. To whom does Michael go for weather advice?
(c) The weather-caster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Michael's reaction to what the defendant says?
2. How does Susan react when Michael admits his guilt for a bad deed he does years before?
3. What occupies Elizabeth's mind after the celebration is over?
4. Where does Elizabeth move to when she leaves Henchard's house?
5. What are Michael's first words when he sees Susan after so many years?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)