|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Michael's first words when he sees Susan after so many years?
(a) "I'm sorry."
(b) "I looked for you."
(c) "I love you."
(d) "I don't drink."
2. Although now the town beauty, what does Elizabeth feel she still lacks?
(a) Fashionable sensibility.
(b) A proper lady's demeanor.
(d) A proper education.
3. What causes Lucetta to change her mind about marrying Henchard?
(a) Henchard blackmails her.
(b) Lucetta does not want to hurt Elizabeth by marrying Farfrae.
(c) Farfrae proves himself unworthy at the crash site.
(d) Lucetta's conscience tells her it is the only right thing to do.
4. What is Jopp's reaction to Henchard's curt behavior?
(a) Angry and bitterly disappointed.
(c) Disappointed, but understands business is business.
(d) Sensitively hurt.
5. What is Elizabeth's plan when she hears the reasons for the town bells and music?
(a) She goes to the Ring to seek her mother.
(b) She stays at the Three Mariners.
(c) She moves out of High Place Hall.
(d) She congratulates the happy couple immediately.
6. To whom does Michael go for weather advice?
(a) The weather-caster.
7. What does Lucetta do when Michael finally calls for her?
(a) She sends him away.
(b) She hides behind a curtain.
(c) She scolds him for his lateness.
(d) She welcomes him in with waiting arms.
8. Where is the first place Michael heads to when he wakes up in the morning in the furmity tent?
(a) The nearest farm.
(b) A neighbor's for breakfast.
(c) The seaport.
(d) The church.
9. Michael incessantly criticizes Elizabeth for what?
(a) Her fashion sense.
(b) Her inability to stand up for herself.
(c) Her dialect.
(d) Her courtship with Farfrae.
10. What keeps the Scotchman lingering about the King's Arms?
(a) The music band gets him curious.
(b) The King's Arms is the only inn he finds.
(c) A discussion on the bad wheat around town.
(d) A discussion about the mayor's past.
11. What is Lucetta's initial response when she meets Farfrae?
(a) She hardly takes notice.
(b) She is attracted and flirts with him.
(c) She thinks he is smart, but not comparatively to Henchard.
(d) She disapproves of him.
12. What makes Susan uncomfortable about her relationship with Newson?
(a) Because Elizabeth Jane is not his daughter.
(b) Newson is a drunkard.
(c) Newson is always at sea.
(d) She discovers her marriage is not binding.
13. What causes Michael to be bitter towards Elizabeth?
(a) Elizabeth brings his status down in town.
(b) He discovers she is not his real daughter.
(c) She is in courtship with Farfrae.
(d) She spends too much of his hard earned money.
14. How does Susan feel about the choreographed courtship?
(a) She revels in the attention.
(c) Dubious of the plan's success.
(d) Dishonest to Elizabeth.
15. What is the main cause of Henchard's celebration failure?
(a) The music is not as good as that in Donald's pavilion.
(b) The set-up is much too far for the majority of the townsfolk.
(c) He charges a fee while Donald does not.
(d) Bad weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do you describe Henchard's disposition towards strangers?
2. How are Susan and Elizabeth-Jane evident strangers in Casterbridge?
3. What does Lucetta do when the town hears the rumors from the defendant about the magistrate?
4. What does Farfrae do at the hiring market?
5. What consequence occurs when Henchard makes a bad corn deal?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)