|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henchard suggest to announce in the paper?
(a) He and Susan's marriage place and date.
(b) Elizabeth Jane Newson is now Elizabeth Jane Henchard.
(c) The corn from Durnover are ready for market.
(d) The smooth workings of the business with Farfrae as manager.
2. What does Farfrae do at the hiring market?
(a) He hires a man and his father.
(b) He dissuades those that want to work for Henchard.
(c) He hires a man and his wife.
(d) He speaks kindly of Henchard to farmers that want Michael's employment.
3. What is Henchard's impression of the new machinery?
(a) He believes it revolutionizes farming.
(b) He is ecstatic that only the richer like himself can afford it.
(c) He is dubious, but is willing to give it a try.
(d) He believes it is useless.
4. What event occurs in Port-Bredy?
(a) Lucetta and Donald marry.
(b) Farfrae has an affair with Lucetta.
(c) Lucetta sets up home away from Casterbridge.
(d) Lucetta and Henchard marry.
5. How do you describe Henchard's disposition towards strangers?
(a) Festive and hearty.
(b) Bland and disinterested.
(c) Rude and contemptuous.
(d) Charming and cordial.
6. Although now the town beauty, what does Elizabeth feel she still lacks?
(a) A proper lady's demeanor.
(c) Fashionable sensibility.
(d) A proper education.
7. How does Lucetta regard Elizabeth's feelings for Donald?
(a) Lucetta pities Elizabeth.
(b) Lucetta is oblivious.
(c) Lucetta thinks Elizabeth is silly for thinking she has a chance.
(d) Lucetta does not care enough to disregard her own feelings first.
8. What is one of Henchard's motives for his remarriage with Susan?
(a) To find love again.
(b) To punish himself.
(c) He is obliged by an oath he makes nineteen years ago.
(d) A married man is more respectable than a bachelor.
9. What is Farfrae's initial impression of Elizabeth Jane?
(a) He does not notice her.
(b) He is attracted, but sets on heading to America.
(c) He finds her charming and considers staying for her.
(d) He finds her below his level.
10. How does Susan know Michael Henchard is in Casterbridge?
(a) She asks the furmity woman.
(b) From a friend.
(c) Through hearsay on the street.
(d) Michael contacts Susan first.
11. What news are the townsfolk waiting for at the end of chapter 30?
(a) What becomes of Elizabeth.
(b) What becomes of the furmity woman.
(c) Whether Donald keeps his business.
(d) Whether Henchard keeps his business.
12. In chapter 19, what act blatantly shows Michael's disrespect for Susan's request?
(a) He tells Farfrae and Elizabeth to discontinue their courtship.
(b) He marries the Jersey woman immediately after her death.
(c) He does not help Elizabeth receive an education.
(d) He opens Susan's deathbed letter early.
13. Four pennies are used to keep Susan's eyes closed. What becomes of them after Martha buries them?
(a) Coney digs it out to use for drink.
(b) It rusts and and stays buried with the Romans of historical past.
(c) Elizabeth digs it out to keep.
(d) Abel finds them by accident and brings them back to his mother.
14. What occupies Elizabeth's mind after the celebration is over?
(a) The failure of her father's celebration.
(b) The quarrel between Henchard and Farfrae.
(c) Donald Farfrae.
(d) The music and the dancing.
15. In chapter 29, what does Lucetta offer Henchard?
(a) A long engagement.
(b) A scheme against Farfrae.
(c) Money for his business.
(d) An immediate marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Weydon Priors can be described as ...
2. How do Susan and Elizabeth pay for their lodgings, despite their little income?
3. What makes Susan uncomfortable about her relationship with Newson?
4. What does Michael decide to do when he discovers his wife emigrates?
5. What change is observed in Michael's behavior toward Donald when Donald becomes more popular?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)