|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although now the town beauty, what does Elizabeth feel she still lacks?
(a) Fashionable sensibility.
(c) A proper education.
(d) A proper lady's demeanor.
2. Weydon Priors can be described as ...
(a) The next big thing.
(b) A plain farmtown.
(c) A bustling city.
(d) A ghost town.
3. What surprises Elizabeth when she goes to see Henchard?
(a) She finds out Henchard and Susan are once married.
(b) She meets Farfrae unexpectedly.
(c) She discovers she is Henchard's daughter.
(d) Henchard's estate is too large to find him.
4. Where do Susan and Elizabeth Jane go for lodgings?
(a) The nearest farm.
(b) The King's Arms.
(c) The Three Mariners.
(d) The mayor's mansion.
5. In chapter 29, what does Lucetta offer Henchard?
(a) An immediate marriage.
(b) A long engagement.
(c) A scheme against Farfrae.
(d) Money for his business.
6. Where does Michael ask Susan to meet after learning she is still alive?
(a) The Ring.
(b) The Coliseum.
(c) The Cricket Grounds.
(d) Gladiator's Hall.
7. What occupies Elizabeth's mind after the celebration is over?
(a) The failure of her father's celebration.
(b) Donald Farfrae.
(c) The music and the dancing.
(d) The quarrel between Henchard and Farfrae.
8. At the scene of the wagon crash, when Henchard's man says the word of Lucetta and Elizabeth Jane are not to be accounted for because all women swoon for Donald, Henchard __________.
(a) Defends the women.
(b) Agrees with him and dismisses the women.
(c) Becomes furious at the reminder and rushes off.
(d) Implores the truth of the statement from the women.
9. What is Michael Henchard's initial reaction when Elizabeth requests to leave?
(a) He is agreeable and willing.
(b) He is hurt.
(c) He is suspicious.
(d) He is angry she leaves him.
10. Susan writes a letter to Michael when on her deathbed. What does she request of him concerning this letter?
(a) That he opens it only after she passes away.
(b) That he opens it on Elizabeth's wedding day.
(c) That he reads it in secrecy and burns the letter afterward.
(d) To forgive her for her simplicity.
11. What does Michael decide to do when he discovers his wife emigrates?
(a) Find a new wife.
(b) Settle in Casterbridge.
(c) Save money to follow on the boat.
(d) Go back to the furmity woman.
12. What is one of Henchard's motives for his remarriage with Susan?
(a) He is obliged by an oath he makes nineteen years ago.
(b) A married man is more respectable than a bachelor.
(c) To find love again.
(d) To punish himself.
13. What causes Lucetta to change her mind about marrying Henchard?
(a) Henchard blackmails her.
(b) Farfrae proves himself unworthy at the crash site.
(c) Lucetta does not want to hurt Elizabeth by marrying Farfrae.
(d) Lucetta's conscience tells her it is the only right thing to do.
14. What do the people of Casterbridge know of the mayor's past wife?
(a) They don't think the mayor is ever married since he comes to Casterbridge alone.
(b) She leaves him for another man.
(c) They know nothing.
(d) They believe she dies at sea.
15. What does Lucetta do when the town hears the rumors from the defendant about the magistrate?
(a) She confronts Michael about the truth.
(b) She gives the house to Elizabeth and moves away.
(c) She leaves town for a few days.
(d) She tells Farfrae they cannot be together anymore.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth notice about the backdoor of Miss Templeman's home?
2. What makes Elizabeth believe Donald is not interested in wooing her?
3. Michael incessantly criticizes Elizabeth for what?
4. How do Susan and Elizabeth pay for their lodgings, despite their little income?
5. What consequence occurs when Henchard makes a bad corn deal?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)