|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprising feature does Elizabeth and Susan notice about the glasses in front of the mayor?
(a) All three of sherry, port, and wine are still full.
(b) There is only one glass.
(c) There are no glasses.
(d) The ones for wine are empty.
2. Michael incessantly criticizes Elizabeth for what?
(a) Her dialect.
(b) Her fashion sense.
(c) Her inability to stand up for herself.
(d) Her courtship with Farfrae.
3. What rash and regretful decision does Henchard make at Donald's celebration?
(a) Henchard denounces everyone for paying a fee rather than attending his free celebration.
(b) Henchard drinks for the first time since his oath.
(c) Henchard grabs his wife and daughter and leaves vehemently.
(d) Henchard terminates Farfrae's employment.
4. How do you describe Henchard's disposition towards strangers?
(a) Bland and disinterested.
(b) Rude and contemptuous.
(c) Charming and cordial.
(d) Festive and hearty.
5. Weydon Priors can be described as ...
(a) The next big thing.
(b) A bustling city.
(c) A plain farmtown.
(d) A ghost town.
6. What does Michael decide to do when he discovers his wife emigrates?
(a) Settle in Casterbridge.
(b) Find a new wife.
(c) Save money to follow on the boat.
(d) Go back to the furmity woman.
7. What does Michael do for a living?
(a) A turnip-hoer.
(b) A sailor.
(c) An auctioneer.
(d) A hay-trusser.
8. Where does Donald set up his new business?
(a) Durnover Hill.
(b) Dunnigan Hill.
(c) West Walk.
(d) Bowling Walk.
9. In chapter 24, what makes Elizabeth upset?
(a) Lucetta and Henchard show attraction towards one another.
(b) Lucetta and Farfrae show attraction towards one another.
(c) She is envious of Miss Templeman's fashionability.
(d) Henchard publicly dismisses her and Miss Templeman at the market.
10. What is Michael's reaction to what the defendant says?
(a) He agrees and walks out of the courtroom.
(b) He is angry and walks out of the courtroom.
(c) He is silent.
(d) He dismisses her ideas as propesterous and carries on with judgment.
11. What age is Elizabeth Jane when she and her mother search for Michael Henchard?
12. In chapter 28, why do so many gather around Town Hall?
(a) The defendant tells Lucetta's secret.
(b) The name of the new mayor is to be announced.
(c) There is a large wagon crash.
(d) The defendant spread the rumor she tells a secret of the magistrate.
13. How does Michael describe Donald's knock?
(b) Too soft.
(c) Half and half, gentle and simple.
(d) Too abrupt.
14. In chapter 29, what does Lucetta offer Henchard?
(a) An immediate marriage.
(b) A long engagement.
(c) A scheme against Farfrae.
(d) Money for his business.
15. Henchard's education is compared to whom?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farfrae and Susan observe about Henchard?
2. How does Michael feel after Susan's death?
3. What is Lucetta's initial response when she meets Farfrae?
4. What stages does Michael go through when drunk?
5. What does Lucetta do when Michael finally calls for her?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)