|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main cause of Henchard's celebration failure?
(a) The music is not as good as that in Donald's pavilion.
(b) The set-up is much too far for the majority of the townsfolk.
(c) Bad weather.
(d) He charges a fee while Donald does not.
2. Susan writes a letter to Michael when on her deathbed. What does she request of him concerning this letter?
(a) That he opens it only after she passes away.
(b) That he opens it on Elizabeth's wedding day.
(c) That he reads it in secrecy and burns the letter afterward.
(d) To forgive her for her simplicity.
3. How does Susan react when Michael admits his guilt for a bad deed he does years before?
(a) She feels guilty for thinking bad thoughts about him.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She feels guilty for leaving him.
(d) She is curious of which bad deed he is speaking of.
4. What does Farfrae do at the hiring market?
(a) He hires a man and his wife.
(b) He speaks kindly of Henchard to farmers that want Michael's employment.
(c) He dissuades those that want to work for Henchard.
(d) He hires a man and his father.
5. To whom does Michael go for weather advice?
(b) The weather-caster.
6. What are Farfrae's plans when he arrives in Casterbridge?
(a) To sell his wheat processing invention.
(b) To apply for the manager's position with the mayor.
(c) To move on to Bristol and then to America.
(d) To spread the word of how lovely his country is to the world.
7. What consequence occurs when Henchard makes a bad corn deal?
(a) Henchard is evicted from his home.
(b) The farmers threaten Henchard if they don't get their pay.
(c) The bank takes possession of his belongings.
(d) The only person to loan Henchard money is Farfrae.
8. As magistrate, what familiar character does Michael judge?
(a) The furmity woman.
9. Although now the town beauty, what does Elizabeth feel she still lacks?
(b) Fashionable sensibility.
(c) A proper education.
(d) A proper lady's demeanor.
10. What does Farfrae do that wins the inn patrons over?
(a) He orates classic poetry with artistic drama.
(b) He sings a melody about his home country.
(c) He buys a round for everyone in the common room.
(d) He fixes the bad wheat problem.
11. How does Elizabeth receive her new home and money?
(a) She enjoys the freedom.
(b) She abides by the saying, "Take, have, and keep."
(c) She feels out of place in the big house.
(d) She uses it to gain status around town.
12. What does Elizabeth notice about the backdoor of Miss Templeman's home?
(a) The keystone is a disfigured mask.
(b) The alley entrance is as bright as the front entrance.
(c) It faces the marketplace.
(d) It is hidden behind a curtain.
13. What is Jopp's reaction to Henchard's curt behavior?
(a) Sensitively hurt.
(c) Disappointed, but understands business is business.
(d) Angry and bitterly disappointed.
14. What is the relationship like between Susan and Michael?
(a) Indifferent since they are an arranged marriage.
(b) Loving from Susan to Michael, but Michael detests Susan.
(c) Resentful from both sides.
(d) Happy and content.
15. Four pennies are used to keep Susan's eyes closed. What becomes of them after Martha buries them?
(a) Elizabeth digs it out to keep.
(b) It rusts and and stays buried with the Romans of historical past.
(c) Coney digs it out to use for drink.
(d) Abel finds them by accident and brings them back to his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Susan feel about the choreographed courtship?
2. What change is observed in Michael's behavior toward Donald when Donald becomes more popular?
3. Henchard's education is compared to whom?
4. Weydon Priors can be described as ...
5. What stages does Michael go through when drunk?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)