|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lucetta regard Elizabeth's feelings for Donald?
(a) Lucetta thinks Elizabeth is silly for thinking she has a chance.
(b) Lucetta is oblivious.
(c) Lucetta pities Elizabeth.
(d) Lucetta does not care enough to disregard her own feelings first.
2. How does Michael discover Lucetta is in Casterbridge?
(a) Lucetta strategically runs into him at the marketplace.
(b) Michael sees her at Susan's grave.
(c) He remembers Templeman is Lucetta's aunt's surname.
(d) Elizabeth describes the mystery woman to Henchard.
3. How do you describe Henchard's disposition towards strangers?
(a) Charming and cordial.
(b) Rude and contemptuous.
(c) Festive and hearty.
(d) Bland and disinterested.
4. What makes Elizabeth believe Donald is not interested in wooing her?
(a) Farfrae is too smart for her.
(b) She is the stepdaughter of a contemptuous man.
(c) She believes she is too plain.
(d) Farfrae opens up a competing business against her father's.
5. What do the people of Casterbridge know of the mayor's past wife?
(a) They believe she dies at sea.
(b) They know nothing.
(c) She leaves him for another man.
(d) They don't think the mayor is ever married since he comes to Casterbridge alone.
6. How do Susan and Elizabeth pay for their lodgings, despite their little income?
(a) Susan and her daughter work the kitchen for each night's stay.
(b) Elizabeth works for the landlady to discount the price.
(c) Farfrae lends them a loan.
(d) The nice landlady gives the tired strangers a break.
7. What does Henchard suggest to announce in the paper?
(a) Elizabeth Jane Newson is now Elizabeth Jane Henchard.
(b) The corn from Durnover are ready for market.
(c) He and Susan's marriage place and date.
(d) The smooth workings of the business with Farfrae as manager.
8. What change is observed in Michael's behavior toward Donald when Donald becomes more popular?
(a) It becomes all business with no extraneous friendship.
(b) Henchard becomes even more overbearing of a friend so Farfrae likes him the best.
(c) Michael is short-tempered with Donald at all times.
(d) Michael follows Donald everywhere to keep an eye on him.
9. Where does Michael ask Susan to meet after learning she is still alive?
(a) The Coliseum.
(b) The Ring.
(c) Gladiator's Hall.
(d) The Cricket Grounds.
10. How does Elizabeth and Lucetta meet?
(a) Elizabeth applies to work for the new woman coming to Casterbridge.
(b) While looking for Farfrae in the marketplace.
(c) Lucetta visits Henchard and meets Elizabeth.
(d) They are both visiting Susan's grave.
11. Now in Casterbridge, what does Lucetta expect from Henchard?
(a) For Michael to treat Elizabeth well.
(b) A share in his business.
(c) Courtship and marriage.
(d) Monetary compensation.
12. What is Lucetta's initial response when she meets Farfrae?
(a) She thinks he is smart, but not comparatively to Henchard.
(b) She hardly takes notice.
(c) She is attracted and flirts with him.
(d) She disapproves of him.
13. How does Michael describe Donald's knock?
(b) Half and half, gentle and simple.
(c) Too soft.
(d) Too abrupt.
14. Where does Donald set up his new business?
(a) West Walk.
(b) Durnover Hill.
(c) Bowling Walk.
(d) Dunnigan Hill.
15. What is the main cause of Henchard's celebration failure?
(a) The set-up is much too far for the majority of the townsfolk.
(b) Bad weather.
(c) The music is not as good as that in Donald's pavilion.
(d) He charges a fee while Donald does not.
Short Answer Questions
1. What age is Elizabeth Jane when she and her mother search for Michael Henchard?
2. Weydon Priors can be described as ...
3. Where does Elizabeth move to when she leaves Henchard's house?
4. How is Casterbridge best described?
5. What is Farfrae's reaction to Henchard's confession?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)