|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Michael ask Susan to meet after learning she is still alive?
(a) The Ring.
(b) The Cricket Grounds.
(c) The Coliseum.
(d) Gladiator's Hall.
2. Henchard's education is compared to whom?
3. What does Farfrae do that wins the inn patrons over?
(a) He buys a round for everyone in the common room.
(b) He fixes the bad wheat problem.
(c) He sings a melody about his home country.
(d) He orates classic poetry with artistic drama.
4. What stages does Michael go through when drunk?
(a) Peaceful, happy, excited, then mean.
(b) Serenity, jovial, argumentative, then quarrelsome.
(c) Happy, frustrated, then argumentative.
(d) Calm, jovial, angry, then quarrelsome.
5. What causes Michael to be bitter towards Elizabeth?
(a) Elizabeth brings his status down in town.
(b) He discovers she is not his real daughter.
(c) She spends too much of his hard earned money.
(d) She is in courtship with Farfrae.
6. What does Susan fear about meeting Michael Henchard?
(a) That he's drunken himself to his tomb.
(b) That he considers his sale binding.
(c) That he does not help despite financial success.
(d) That he does not remember their daughter.
7. How does Henchard first learn the townspeople prefer Donald over him?
(a) From a councilman.
(b) A lawyer from Henchard's celebration tells him.
(c) Henchard sees it in the people's faces as they admire Donald dancing.
(d) Through a messenger boy from Durnover.
8. How do you describe Henchard's disposition towards strangers?
(a) Charming and cordial.
(b) Rude and contemptuous.
(c) Bland and disinterested.
(d) Festive and hearty.
9. How does Henchard almost reveal to Elizabeth she is his daughter?
(a) He recalls a time of holding her when she is young.
(b) When Henchard and Elizabeth are in the garden, he talks about the church in Weydon Priors.
(c) He asks Susan about Elizabeth's hair color.
(d) He asks Susan about how Elizabeth handles the voyage to Canada.
10. Where do Susan and Elizabeth Jane go for lodgings?
(a) The mayor's mansion.
(b) The Three Mariners.
(c) The nearest farm.
(d) The King's Arms.
11. What surprising feature does Elizabeth and Susan notice about the glasses in front of the mayor?
(a) The ones for wine are empty.
(b) There are no glasses.
(c) All three of sherry, port, and wine are still full.
(d) There is only one glass.
12. How does Donald treat Elizabeth when conversing with the women of High Place Hall?
(a) Donald does not acknowledge her presence.
(b) He feels lucky to have her in the same room.
(c) He feels pity for her.
(d) He attempts to bring her into the conversations.
13. What does Elizabeth notice about the backdoor of Miss Templeman's home?
(a) It is hidden behind a curtain.
(b) The keystone is a disfigured mask.
(c) The alley entrance is as bright as the front entrance.
(d) It faces the marketplace.
14. What causes Lucetta to change her mind about marrying Henchard?
(a) Farfrae proves himself unworthy at the crash site.
(b) Lucetta does not want to hurt Elizabeth by marrying Farfrae.
(c) Lucetta's conscience tells her it is the only right thing to do.
(d) Henchard blackmails her.
15. Michael allows Farfrae to court Elizabeth under what condition?
(a) It's not in Michael's house.
(b) Farfrae pays a sum.
(c) Elizabeth is to leave as soon as possible.
(d) Farfrae refers some customers to Henchard's business.
Short Answer Questions
1. Michael incessantly criticizes Elizabeth for what?
2. At the scene of the wagon crash, when Henchard's man says the word of Lucetta and Elizabeth Jane are not to be accounted for because all women swoon for Donald, Henchard __________.
3. How does Elizabeth receive her new home and money?
4. What is Michael Henchard's initial reaction when Elizabeth requests to leave?
5. How does Henchard's demeanor toward Elizabeth change when he hears Susan is alive?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)