|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Michael's reaction to what the defendant says?
(a) He dismisses her ideas as propesterous and carries on with judgment.
(b) He is angry and walks out of the courtroom.
(c) He is silent.
(d) He agrees and walks out of the courtroom.
2. Although now the town beauty, what does Elizabeth feel she still lacks?
(a) A proper education.
(b) Fashionable sensibility.
(d) A proper lady's demeanor.
3. How does Susan know Michael Henchard is in Casterbridge?
(a) Michael contacts Susan first.
(b) She asks the furmity woman.
(c) From a friend.
(d) Through hearsay on the street.
4. To whom does Michael go for weather advice?
(a) The weather-caster.
5. Four pennies are used to keep Susan's eyes closed. What becomes of them after Martha buries them?
(a) Abel finds them by accident and brings them back to his mother.
(b) Coney digs it out to use for drink.
(c) It rusts and and stays buried with the Romans of historical past.
(d) Elizabeth digs it out to keep.
6. Now in Casterbridge, what does Lucetta expect from Henchard?
(a) Monetary compensation.
(b) For Michael to treat Elizabeth well.
(c) A share in his business.
(d) Courtship and marriage.
7. Why does Lucetta invite Elizabeth to live with her?
(a) To give Henchard an excuse to visit her home.
(b) To take Elizabeth away from Henchard's demeaning home.
(c) To teach Elizabeth a more refined way of living.
(d) To get Elizabeth closer to Farfrae.
8. How does Susan feel about the choreographed courtship?
(a) Dubious of the plan's success.
(b) She revels in the attention.
(d) Dishonest to Elizabeth.
9. How are Susan and Elizabeth-Jane evident strangers in Casterbridge?
(a) By the way they are dressed.
(b) They do not know the whereabouts of Henchard despite his popularity.
(c) They do not know about the bad corn sold to the bakers and millers.
(d) Their accents give them away.
10. What is Farfrae's initial impression of Elizabeth Jane?
(a) He does not notice her.
(b) He finds her below his level.
(c) He is attracted, but sets on heading to America.
(d) He finds her charming and considers staying for her.
11. How does Susan react when Michael admits his guilt for a bad deed he does years before?
(a) She feels guilty for leaving him.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She is curious of which bad deed he is speaking of.
(d) She feels guilty for thinking bad thoughts about him.
12. What is Elizabeth's manner when she first sees Farfrae in his room?
(b) Observant and silent.
(d) Earnest and talkative.
13. In chapter 28, why do so many gather around Town Hall?
(a) The defendant spread the rumor she tells a secret of the magistrate.
(b) The defendant tells Lucetta's secret.
(c) There is a large wagon crash.
(d) The name of the new mayor is to be announced.
14. What causes Lucetta to change her mind about marrying Henchard?
(a) Farfrae proves himself unworthy at the crash site.
(b) Lucetta's conscience tells her it is the only right thing to do.
(c) Henchard blackmails her.
(d) Lucetta does not want to hurt Elizabeth by marrying Farfrae.
15. What does Farfrae and Susan observe about Henchard?
(a) Henchard is a conman.
(b) Henchard is paranoid.
(c) Henchard exudes charity to all around him.
(d) Henchard has sudden moods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Scotchman do to get the mayor's attention?
2. What inspires Michael to finally ask Lucetta to marry him?
3. In chapter 24, what makes Elizabeth upset?
4. What does Henchard suggest to announce in the paper?
5. How does Michael feel after Susan's death?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)