|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Michael's first words when he sees Susan after so many years?
(a) "I looked for you."
(b) "I'm sorry."
(c) "I don't drink."
(d) "I love you."
2. Where do Susan and Elizabeth Jane go for lodgings?
(a) The nearest farm.
(b) The King's Arms.
(c) The mayor's mansion.
(d) The Three Mariners.
3. How does Henchard almost reveal to Elizabeth she is his daughter?
(a) He asks Susan about Elizabeth's hair color.
(b) He recalls a time of holding her when she is young.
(c) He asks Susan about how Elizabeth handles the voyage to Canada.
(d) When Henchard and Elizabeth are in the garden, he talks about the church in Weydon Priors.
4. What is Farfrae's reaction to Henchard's confession?
(a) Farfrae tucks the information away for a future opportunity to enhance his own career.
(b) Farfrae no longer respects Henchard.
(c) He is able to relate to Henchard, since he is a man with a past as well.
(d) Surprised, but helpful.
5. What event occurs in Port-Bredy?
(a) Lucetta and Donald marry.
(b) Lucetta sets up home away from Casterbridge.
(c) Farfrae has an affair with Lucetta.
(d) Lucetta and Henchard marry.
6. What is Michael Henchard's initial reaction when Elizabeth requests to leave?
(a) He is agreeable and willing.
(b) He is hurt.
(c) He is suspicious.
(d) He is angry she leaves him.
7. Now in Casterbridge, what does Lucetta expect from Henchard?
(a) A share in his business.
(b) Courtship and marriage.
(c) Monetary compensation.
(d) For Michael to treat Elizabeth well.
8. How are Susan and Elizabeth-Jane evident strangers in Casterbridge?
(a) By the way they are dressed.
(b) Their accents give them away.
(c) They do not know about the bad corn sold to the bakers and millers.
(d) They do not know the whereabouts of Henchard despite his popularity.
9. What is Farfrae's initial impression of Elizabeth Jane?
(a) He finds her charming and considers staying for her.
(b) He is attracted, but sets on heading to America.
(c) He does not notice her.
(d) He finds her below his level.
10. What is Elizabeth's plan when she hears the reasons for the town bells and music?
(a) She moves out of High Place Hall.
(b) She goes to the Ring to seek her mother.
(c) She stays at the Three Mariners.
(d) She congratulates the happy couple immediately.
11. What causes Michael to be bitter towards Elizabeth?
(a) Elizabeth brings his status down in town.
(b) He discovers she is not his real daughter.
(c) She is in courtship with Farfrae.
(d) She spends too much of his hard earned money.
12. What is Jopp's reaction to Henchard's curt behavior?
(a) Disappointed, but understands business is business.
(c) Angry and bitterly disappointed.
(d) Sensitively hurt.
13. What makes Susan uncomfortable about her relationship with Newson?
(a) Newson is always at sea.
(b) Newson is a drunkard.
(c) She discovers her marriage is not binding.
(d) Because Elizabeth Jane is not his daughter.
14. What age is Elizabeth Jane when she and her mother search for Michael Henchard?
15. What do the people of Casterbridge know of the mayor's past wife?
(a) They believe she dies at sea.
(b) They don't think the mayor is ever married since he comes to Casterbridge alone.
(c) They know nothing.
(d) She leaves him for another man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Elizabeth move to when she leaves Henchard's house?
2. What does Henchard suggest to announce in the paper?
3. What surprising feature does Elizabeth and Susan notice about the glasses in front of the mayor?
4. In chapter 29, what does Lucetta offer Henchard?
5. What news are the townsfolk waiting for at the end of chapter 30?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)