|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although now the town beauty, what does Elizabeth feel she still lacks?
(a) A proper education.
(c) Fashionable sensibility.
(d) A proper lady's demeanor.
2. What does Michael decide to do when he discovers his wife emigrates?
(a) Go back to the furmity woman.
(b) Save money to follow on the boat.
(c) Settle in Casterbridge.
(d) Find a new wife.
3. What causes Lucetta to change her mind about marrying Henchard?
(a) Lucetta's conscience tells her it is the only right thing to do.
(b) Farfrae proves himself unworthy at the crash site.
(c) Lucetta does not want to hurt Elizabeth by marrying Farfrae.
(d) Henchard blackmails her.
4. How do Susan and Elizabeth pay for their lodgings, despite their little income?
(a) Farfrae lends them a loan.
(b) Elizabeth works for the landlady to discount the price.
(c) The nice landlady gives the tired strangers a break.
(d) Susan and her daughter work the kitchen for each night's stay.
5. What inspires Michael to finally ask Lucetta to marry him?
(a) Michael feels he needs to do right by her.
(b) His loneliness and her disinterest.
(c) He knows Farfrae is courting her.
(d) He believes it angers Elizabeth.
6. Where do Susan and Elizabeth Jane go for lodgings?
(a) The Three Mariners.
(b) The nearest farm.
(c) The King's Arms.
(d) The mayor's mansion.
7. What is Farfrae's initial impression of Elizabeth Jane?
(a) He does not notice her.
(b) He finds her charming and considers staying for her.
(c) He finds her below his level.
(d) He is attracted, but sets on heading to America.
8. What does Michael do for a living?
(a) A turnip-hoer.
(b) A sailor.
(c) An auctioneer.
(d) A hay-trusser.
9. In chapter 19, what act blatantly shows Michael's disrespect for Susan's request?
(a) He does not help Elizabeth receive an education.
(b) He tells Farfrae and Elizabeth to discontinue their courtship.
(c) He opens Susan's deathbed letter early.
(d) He marries the Jersey woman immediately after her death.
10. What makes Elizabeth believe Donald is not interested in wooing her?
(a) Farfrae opens up a competing business against her father's.
(b) Farfrae is too smart for her.
(c) She believes she is too plain.
(d) She is the stepdaughter of a contemptuous man.
11. What does Farfrae and Susan observe about Henchard?
(a) Henchard is paranoid.
(b) Henchard has sudden moods.
(c) Henchard exudes charity to all around him.
(d) Henchard is a conman.
12. How does Susan know Michael Henchard is in Casterbridge?
(a) From a friend.
(b) Through hearsay on the street.
(c) Michael contacts Susan first.
(d) She asks the furmity woman.
13. What consequence occurs when Henchard makes a bad corn deal?
(a) The farmers threaten Henchard if they don't get their pay.
(b) The only person to loan Henchard money is Farfrae.
(c) The bank takes possession of his belongings.
(d) Henchard is evicted from his home.
14. What do the people of Casterbridge know of the mayor's past wife?
(a) They know nothing.
(b) They believe she dies at sea.
(c) They don't think the mayor is ever married since he comes to Casterbridge alone.
(d) She leaves him for another man.
15. Now in Casterbridge, what does Lucetta expect from Henchard?
(a) For Michael to treat Elizabeth well.
(b) A share in his business.
(c) Courtship and marriage.
(d) Monetary compensation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Susan and Elizabeth-Jane evident strangers in Casterbridge?
2. How does Lucetta regard Elizabeth's feelings for Donald?
3. In chapter 29, what does Lucetta offer Henchard?
4. Susan writes a letter to Michael when on her deathbed. What does she request of him concerning this letter?
5. How does Michael discover Lucetta is in Casterbridge?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)