|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Elizabeth when she goes to see Henchard?
(a) She meets Farfrae unexpectedly.
(b) She discovers she is Henchard's daughter.
(c) She finds out Henchard and Susan are once married.
(d) Henchard's estate is too large to find him.
2. What inspires Michael to finally ask Lucetta to marry him?
(a) He believes it angers Elizabeth.
(b) He knows Farfrae is courting her.
(c) His loneliness and her disinterest.
(d) Michael feels he needs to do right by her.
3. What does Lucetta do when the town hears the rumors from the defendant about the magistrate?
(a) She tells Farfrae they cannot be together anymore.
(b) She gives the house to Elizabeth and moves away.
(c) She confronts Michael about the truth.
(d) She leaves town for a few days.
4. What news are the townsfolk waiting for at the end of chapter 30?
(a) What becomes of the furmity woman.
(b) Whether Henchard keeps his business.
(c) What becomes of Elizabeth.
(d) Whether Donald keeps his business.
5. What is the relationship like between Susan and Michael?
(a) Resentful from both sides.
(b) Loving from Susan to Michael, but Michael detests Susan.
(c) Happy and content.
(d) Indifferent since they are an arranged marriage.
6. What is Elizabeth's plan when she hears the reasons for the town bells and music?
(a) She goes to the Ring to seek her mother.
(b) She moves out of High Place Hall.
(c) She congratulates the happy couple immediately.
(d) She stays at the Three Mariners.
7. Where is the first place Michael heads to when he wakes up in the morning in the furmity tent?
(a) The nearest farm.
(b) The church.
(c) A neighbor's for breakfast.
(d) The seaport.
8. What is the main cause of Henchard's celebration failure?
(a) He charges a fee while Donald does not.
(b) Bad weather.
(c) The music is not as good as that in Donald's pavilion.
(d) The set-up is much too far for the majority of the townsfolk.
9. Where does Elizabeth move to when she leaves Henchard's house?
(a) High Place Hall.
(b) Into Farfrae's home.
(c) Durnover Hill.
(d) Closer to her mother's grave.
10. How does Susan react when Michael admits his guilt for a bad deed he does years before?
(a) She is curious of which bad deed he is speaking of.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She feels guilty for thinking bad thoughts about him.
(d) She feels guilty for leaving him.
11. What keeps the Scotchman lingering about the King's Arms?
(a) A discussion on the bad wheat around town.
(b) A discussion about the mayor's past.
(c) The King's Arms is the only inn he finds.
(d) The music band gets him curious.
12. Four pennies are used to keep Susan's eyes closed. What becomes of them after Martha buries them?
(a) Elizabeth digs it out to keep.
(b) Abel finds them by accident and brings them back to his mother.
(c) Coney digs it out to use for drink.
(d) It rusts and and stays buried with the Romans of historical past.
13. Now in Casterbridge, what does Lucetta expect from Henchard?
(a) Monetary compensation.
(b) For Michael to treat Elizabeth well.
(c) A share in his business.
(d) Courtship and marriage.
14. Where does Susan and her daughter first see Michael Henchard?
(a) Just outside the King's Arms looking in.
(b) At the King's Arms.
(c) At a local bakery.
(d) At the Three Mariners.
15. Although now the town beauty, what does Elizabeth feel she still lacks?
(b) A proper lady's demeanor.
(c) A proper education.
(d) Fashionable sensibility.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lucetta invite Elizabeth to live with her?
2. What does Susan fear about meeting Michael Henchard?
3. What do Susan and Michael decide about Elizabeth?
4. What is Lucetta's initial response when she meets Farfrae?
5. What new machinery is introduced at the Saturday market?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)