|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Michael's reaction to what the defendant says?
(a) He is silent.
(b) He agrees and walks out of the courtroom.
(c) He is angry and walks out of the courtroom.
(d) He dismisses her ideas as propesterous and carries on with judgment.
2. What does Farfrae and Susan observe about Henchard?
(a) Henchard is a conman.
(b) Henchard is paranoid.
(c) Henchard exudes charity to all around him.
(d) Henchard has sudden moods.
3. How does Donald treat Elizabeth when conversing with the women of High Place Hall?
(a) He attempts to bring her into the conversations.
(b) Donald does not acknowledge her presence.
(c) He feels lucky to have her in the same room.
(d) He feels pity for her.
4. What do Susan and Michael decide about Elizabeth?
(a) They intend to tell her after they are remarried.
(b) She deserves to know the truth.
(c) Susan wants Michael to break the news to her.
(d) She should stay ignorant of her parents' past.
5. What is Lucetta's initial response when she meets Farfrae?
(a) She disapproves of him.
(b) She thinks he is smart, but not comparatively to Henchard.
(c) She hardly takes notice.
(d) She is attracted and flirts with him.
6. Where does Elizabeth move to when she leaves Henchard's house?
(a) Into Farfrae's home.
(b) Durnover Hill.
(c) Closer to her mother's grave.
(d) High Place Hall.
7. In chapter 24, what makes Elizabeth upset?
(a) Henchard publicly dismisses her and Miss Templeman at the market.
(b) Lucetta and Henchard show attraction towards one another.
(c) Lucetta and Farfrae show attraction towards one another.
(d) She is envious of Miss Templeman's fashionability.
8. What surprises Henchard the most about Farfrae?
(a) The Scotchman wants a third of his business if he is to be hired.
(b) That the Scotchman is willing to correct the wheat problem for free.
(c) That Farfrae is going to America to harvest wheat.
(d) That a stranger is willing to help without pay.
9. In chapter 29, what does Lucetta offer Henchard?
(a) A long engagement.
(b) An immediate marriage.
(c) A scheme against Farfrae.
(d) Money for his business.
10. How does Henchard almost reveal to Elizabeth she is his daughter?
(a) He asks Susan about Elizabeth's hair color.
(b) He asks Susan about how Elizabeth handles the voyage to Canada.
(c) He recalls a time of holding her when she is young.
(d) When Henchard and Elizabeth are in the garden, he talks about the church in Weydon Priors.
11. What does Lucetta request from Henchard?
(a) An extramarital affair.
(b) A meeting with her letters.
(c) Immediate marriage.
12. Where do Susan and Elizabeth Jane go for lodgings?
(a) The King's Arms.
(b) The mayor's mansion.
(c) The Three Mariners.
(d) The nearest farm.
13. What is Elizabeth's plan when she hears the reasons for the town bells and music?
(a) She goes to the Ring to seek her mother.
(b) She congratulates the happy couple immediately.
(c) She moves out of High Place Hall.
(d) She stays at the Three Mariners.
14. What does the Scotchman do to get the mayor's attention?
(a) He waits for the mayor to leave the party and approaches him.
(b) He sends a note via the waiter.
(c) He writes a note and throws it through the window.
(d) He never gets the mayor's attenion.
15. How do Susan and Elizabeth pay for their lodgings, despite their little income?
(a) Farfrae lends them a loan.
(b) Elizabeth works for the landlady to discount the price.
(c) Susan and her daughter work the kitchen for each night's stay.
(d) The nice landlady gives the tired strangers a break.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elizabeth's manner when she first sees Farfrae in his room?
2. How does Henchard's demeanor toward Elizabeth change when he hears Susan is alive?
3. What do the people of Casterbridge know of the mayor's past wife?
4. What is Abel's punishment for being chronically late?
5. What does Lucetta do when the town hears the rumors from the defendant about the magistrate?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)