|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Farfrae's plans when he arrives in Casterbridge?
(a) To sell his wheat processing invention.
(b) To move on to Bristol and then to America.
(c) To spread the word of how lovely his country is to the world.
(d) To apply for the manager's position with the mayor.
2. What is Michael Henchard's initial reaction when Elizabeth requests to leave?
(a) He is agreeable and willing.
(b) He is suspicious.
(c) He is angry she leaves him.
(d) He is hurt.
3. What does Susan fear about meeting Michael Henchard?
(a) That he considers his sale binding.
(b) That he does not remember their daughter.
(c) That he does not help despite financial success.
(d) That he's drunken himself to his tomb.
4. How is Casterbridge best described?
(a) Old-fashioned and agricultural.
(b) An honest city.
(c) Modern and cosmopolitan.
(d) A suburb of little importance.
5. Weydon Priors can be described as ...
(a) A bustling city.
(b) The next big thing.
(c) A plain farmtown.
(d) A ghost town.
6. What do the boys of Casterbridge nickname Susan?
(a) The Cottage Woman.
(b) The Ghost.
(c) The Simpleton.
(d) The Plain Genteel.
7. What change is observed in Michael's behavior toward Donald when Donald becomes more popular?
(a) Michael follows Donald everywhere to keep an eye on him.
(b) Michael is short-tempered with Donald at all times.
(c) Henchard becomes even more overbearing of a friend so Farfrae likes him the best.
(d) It becomes all business with no extraneous friendship.
8. What does Henchard suggest to announce in the paper?
(a) He and Susan's marriage place and date.
(b) The corn from Durnover are ready for market.
(c) Elizabeth Jane Newson is now Elizabeth Jane Henchard.
(d) The smooth workings of the business with Farfrae as manager.
9. What is Lucetta's initial response when she meets Farfrae?
(a) She is attracted and flirts with him.
(b) She thinks he is smart, but not comparatively to Henchard.
(c) She hardly takes notice.
(d) She disapproves of him.
10. What is Jopp's reaction to Henchard's curt behavior?
(a) Angry and bitterly disappointed.
(c) Sensitively hurt.
(d) Disappointed, but understands business is business.
11. Where does Donald set up his new business?
(a) Durnover Hill.
(b) West Walk.
(c) Bowling Walk.
(d) Dunnigan Hill.
12. Henchard confesses his past marriage with Susan to Farfrae. What additional surprise does Henchard confess to Farfrae?
(a) Henchard knows the wheat is bad when he sells it.
(b) A Jersey woman is blackmailing him about his past.
(c) Henchard is having an affair with a woman from Jersey.
(d) Henchard secretly drinks.
13. How does Henchard first learn the townspeople prefer Donald over him?
(a) Through a messenger boy from Durnover.
(b) A lawyer from Henchard's celebration tells him.
(c) Henchard sees it in the people's faces as they admire Donald dancing.
(d) From a councilman.
14. What causes Michael to be bitter towards Elizabeth?
(a) She spends too much of his hard earned money.
(b) She is in courtship with Farfrae.
(c) Elizabeth brings his status down in town.
(d) He discovers she is not his real daughter.
15. What do Susan and Michael decide about Elizabeth?
(a) They intend to tell her after they are remarried.
(b) Susan wants Michael to break the news to her.
(c) She should stay ignorant of her parents' past.
(d) She deserves to know the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henchard's impression of the new machinery?
2. In chapter 29, what does Lucetta offer Henchard?
3. How does Susan feel about the choreographed courtship?
4. What consequence occurs when Henchard makes a bad corn deal?
5. How does Susan know Michael Henchard is in Casterbridge?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)