|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Elizabeth believe Donald is not interested in wooing her?
(a) Farfrae is too smart for her.
(b) She is the stepdaughter of a contemptuous man.
(c) She believes she is too plain.
(d) Farfrae opens up a competing business against her father's.
2. What inspires Michael to finally ask Lucetta to marry him?
(a) He knows Farfrae is courting her.
(b) Michael feels he needs to do right by her.
(c) He believes it angers Elizabeth.
(d) His loneliness and her disinterest.
3. What do Susan and Michael decide about Elizabeth?
(a) They intend to tell her after they are remarried.
(b) Susan wants Michael to break the news to her.
(c) She deserves to know the truth.
(d) She should stay ignorant of her parents' past.
4. What surprises Elizabeth when she goes to see Henchard?
(a) She discovers she is Henchard's daughter.
(b) Henchard's estate is too large to find him.
(c) She finds out Henchard and Susan are once married.
(d) She meets Farfrae unexpectedly.
5. Henchard's education is compared to whom?
6. How do you describe Henchard's disposition towards strangers?
(a) Bland and disinterested.
(b) Festive and hearty.
(c) Charming and cordial.
(d) Rude and contemptuous.
7. What does Lucetta request from Henchard?
(a) Immediate marriage.
(b) A meeting with her letters.
(c) An extramarital affair.
8. What news are the townsfolk waiting for at the end of chapter 30?
(a) What becomes of the furmity woman.
(b) Whether Henchard keeps his business.
(c) What becomes of Elizabeth.
(d) Whether Donald keeps his business.
9. What does Lucetta do when Michael finally calls for her?
(a) She hides behind a curtain.
(b) She welcomes him in with waiting arms.
(c) She scolds him for his lateness.
(d) She sends him away.
10. What causes Michael to be bitter towards Elizabeth?
(a) Elizabeth brings his status down in town.
(b) She spends too much of his hard earned money.
(c) She is in courtship with Farfrae.
(d) He discovers she is not his real daughter.
11. How do Susan and Elizabeth pay for their lodgings, despite their little income?
(a) Elizabeth works for the landlady to discount the price.
(b) Susan and her daughter work the kitchen for each night's stay.
(c) The nice landlady gives the tired strangers a break.
(d) Farfrae lends them a loan.
12. Weydon Priors can be described as ...
(a) A bustling city.
(b) A ghost town.
(c) The next big thing.
(d) A plain farmtown.
13. What stages does Michael go through when drunk?
(a) Happy, frustrated, then argumentative.
(b) Peaceful, happy, excited, then mean.
(c) Serenity, jovial, argumentative, then quarrelsome.
(d) Calm, jovial, angry, then quarrelsome.
14. What event occurs in Port-Bredy?
(a) Lucetta sets up home away from Casterbridge.
(b) Farfrae has an affair with Lucetta.
(c) Lucetta and Henchard marry.
(d) Lucetta and Donald marry.
15. How does Susan react when Michael admits his guilt for a bad deed he does years before?
(a) She is curious of which bad deed he is speaking of.
(b) She feels guilty for thinking bad thoughts about him.
(c) She feels guilty for leaving him.
(d) She is happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new machinery is introduced at the Saturday market?
2. In chapter 19, what act blatantly shows Michael's disrespect for Susan's request?
3. Now in Casterbridge, what does Lucetta expect from Henchard?
4. What does Lucetta do when the town hears the rumors from the defendant about the magistrate?
5. Where does Elizabeth move to when she leaves Henchard's house?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)