|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michael do for a living?
(a) An auctioneer.
(b) A sailor.
(c) A hay-trusser.
(d) A turnip-hoer.
2. What change is observed in Michael's behavior toward Donald when Donald becomes more popular?
(a) Michael is short-tempered with Donald at all times.
(b) Henchard becomes even more overbearing of a friend so Farfrae likes him the best.
(c) It becomes all business with no extraneous friendship.
(d) Michael follows Donald everywhere to keep an eye on him.
3. Henchard's education is compared to whom?
4. What does Susan fear about meeting Michael Henchard?
(a) That he considers his sale binding.
(b) That he does not help despite financial success.
(c) That he's drunken himself to his tomb.
(d) That he does not remember their daughter.
5. Susan writes a letter to Michael when on her deathbed. What does she request of him concerning this letter?
(a) That he reads it in secrecy and burns the letter afterward.
(b) That he opens it only after she passes away.
(c) To forgive her for her simplicity.
(d) That he opens it on Elizabeth's wedding day.
6. How does Elizabeth and Lucetta meet?
(a) Elizabeth applies to work for the new woman coming to Casterbridge.
(b) They are both visiting Susan's grave.
(c) While looking for Farfrae in the marketplace.
(d) Lucetta visits Henchard and meets Elizabeth.
7. How does Henchard almost reveal to Elizabeth she is his daughter?
(a) When Henchard and Elizabeth are in the garden, he talks about the church in Weydon Priors.
(b) He asks Susan about Elizabeth's hair color.
(c) He asks Susan about how Elizabeth handles the voyage to Canada.
(d) He recalls a time of holding her when she is young.
8. What are Michael's first words when he sees Susan after so many years?
(a) "I looked for you."
(b) "I love you."
(c) "I'm sorry."
(d) "I don't drink."
9. Four pennies are used to keep Susan's eyes closed. What becomes of them after Martha buries them?
(a) It rusts and and stays buried with the Romans of historical past.
(b) Coney digs it out to use for drink.
(c) Abel finds them by accident and brings them back to his mother.
(d) Elizabeth digs it out to keep.
10. What is the relationship like between Susan and Michael?
(a) Loving from Susan to Michael, but Michael detests Susan.
(b) Happy and content.
(c) Resentful from both sides.
(d) Indifferent since they are an arranged marriage.
11. What surprises Henchard the most about Farfrae?
(a) That the Scotchman is willing to correct the wheat problem for free.
(b) That a stranger is willing to help without pay.
(c) The Scotchman wants a third of his business if he is to be hired.
(d) That Farfrae is going to America to harvest wheat.
12. What keeps the Scotchman lingering about the King's Arms?
(a) A discussion on the bad wheat around town.
(b) The music band gets him curious.
(c) The King's Arms is the only inn he finds.
(d) A discussion about the mayor's past.
13. In chapter 24, what makes Elizabeth upset?
(a) Lucetta and Henchard show attraction towards one another.
(b) Henchard publicly dismisses her and Miss Templeman at the market.
(c) Lucetta and Farfrae show attraction towards one another.
(d) She is envious of Miss Templeman's fashionability.
14. How are Susan and Elizabeth-Jane evident strangers in Casterbridge?
(a) They do not know the whereabouts of Henchard despite his popularity.
(b) They do not know about the bad corn sold to the bakers and millers.
(c) Their accents give them away.
(d) By the way they are dressed.
15. What surprising feature does Elizabeth and Susan notice about the glasses in front of the mayor?
(a) There are no glasses.
(b) All three of sherry, port, and wine are still full.
(c) There is only one glass.
(d) The ones for wine are empty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news are the townsfolk waiting for at the end of chapter 30?
2. Weydon Priors can be described as ...
3. How does Michael describe Donald's knock?
4. What age is Elizabeth Jane when she and her mother search for Michael Henchard?
5. What is Lucetta's initial response when she meets Farfrae?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)