|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 39.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stages does Michael go through when drunk?
(a) Happy, frustrated, then argumentative.
(b) Calm, jovial, angry, then quarrelsome.
(c) Serenity, jovial, argumentative, then quarrelsome.
(d) Peaceful, happy, excited, then mean.
2. What happens to Michael's business?
(a) The town burns it down.
(b) The banks close it down.
(c) The barns and granaries are raided by his former employees.
(d) Farfrae buys Michael's business.
3. How do Susan and Elizabeth pay for their lodgings, despite their little income?
(a) The nice landlady gives the tired strangers a break.
(b) Susan and her daughter work the kitchen for each night's stay.
(c) Elizabeth works for the landlady to discount the price.
(d) Farfrae lends them a loan.
4. What unexpected thing does Michael do at the parade?
(a) He marches behind the councilman as if he is one of them.
(b) He sits next to Lucetta to watch the parade.
(c) He blocks the entrance at the bridge.
(d) He makes a flag and greets the Royal Personage.
5. What is one of the causes of Henchard's bankruptcy?
(a) Farfrae steals all his customers.
(b) Bad weather.
(c) A debtor cannot pay Henchard on time.
(d) Henchard fires half his employees in a fury.
Short Answer Questions
1. What age is Elizabeth Jane when she and her mother search for Michael Henchard?
2. Susan writes a letter to Michael when on her deathbed. What does she request of him concerning this letter?
3. How does Lucetta regard Elizabeth's feelings for Donald?
4. What does the Scotchman do to get the mayor's attention?
5. Where does Lucetta ask Michael to meet?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)