|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13 | Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Scotchman do to get the mayor's attention?
(a) He writes a note and throws it through the window.
(b) He sends a note via the waiter.
(c) He never gets the mayor's attenion.
(d) He waits for the mayor to leave the party and approaches him.
2. What does Michael do for a living?
(a) A hay-trusser.
(b) A sailor.
(c) An auctioneer.
(d) A turnip-hoer.
3. What makes Susan uncomfortable about her relationship with Newson?
(a) She discovers her marriage is not binding.
(b) Because Elizabeth Jane is not his daughter.
(c) Newson is always at sea.
(d) Newson is a drunkard.
4. How does Susan know Michael Henchard is in Casterbridge?
(a) From a friend.
(b) Through hearsay on the street.
(c) Michael contacts Susan first.
(d) She asks the furmity woman.
5. What do the people of Casterbridge know of the mayor's past wife?
(a) They believe she dies at sea.
(b) She leaves him for another man.
(c) They know nothing.
(d) They don't think the mayor is ever married since he comes to Casterbridge alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Farfrae's plans when he arrives in Casterbridge?
2. How does Henchard almost reveal to Elizabeth she is his daughter?
3. What surprises Henchard the most about Farfrae?
4. How does Susan feel about the choreographed courtship?
5. Henchard's education is compared to whom?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)