|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 | Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Farfrae's initial impression of Elizabeth Jane?
(a) He does not notice her.
(b) He is attracted, but sets on heading to America.
(c) He finds her below his level.
(d) He finds her charming and considers staying for her.
2. What surprises Henchard the most about Farfrae?
(a) The Scotchman wants a third of his business if he is to be hired.
(b) That a stranger is willing to help without pay.
(c) That Farfrae is going to America to harvest wheat.
(d) That the Scotchman is willing to correct the wheat problem for free.
3. How is Casterbridge best described?
(a) Old-fashioned and agricultural.
(b) Modern and cosmopolitan.
(c) An honest city.
(d) A suburb of little importance.
4. What does Michael do for a living?
(a) A sailor.
(b) A turnip-hoer.
(c) An auctioneer.
(d) A hay-trusser.
5. What stages does Michael go through when drunk?
(a) Happy, frustrated, then argumentative.
(b) Serenity, jovial, argumentative, then quarrelsome.
(c) Peaceful, happy, excited, then mean.
(d) Calm, jovial, angry, then quarrelsome.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Susan and her daughter first see Michael Henchard?
2. What surprises Elizabeth when she goes to see Henchard?
3. What is Jopp's reaction to Henchard's curt behavior?
4. Where do Susan and Elizabeth Jane go for lodgings?
5. What is Elizabeth's manner when she first sees Farfrae in his room?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)