|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 | Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Susan uncomfortable about her relationship with Newson?
(a) Because Elizabeth Jane is not his daughter.
(b) Newson is a drunkard.
(c) She discovers her marriage is not binding.
(d) Newson is always at sea.
2. How does Henchard's demeanor toward Elizabeth change when he hears Susan is alive?
(a) He is affectionate and kind.
(b) He is speechless.
(c) He gets upset.
(d) He becomes even more distant.
3. What are Farfrae's plans when he arrives in Casterbridge?
(a) To sell his wheat processing invention.
(b) To apply for the manager's position with the mayor.
(c) To spread the word of how lovely his country is to the world.
(d) To move on to Bristol and then to America.
4. How do you describe Henchard's disposition towards strangers?
(a) Festive and hearty.
(b) Rude and contemptuous.
(c) Charming and cordial.
(d) Bland and disinterested.
5. How are Susan and Elizabeth-Jane evident strangers in Casterbridge?
(a) They do not know about the bad corn sold to the bakers and millers.
(b) By the way they are dressed.
(c) Their accents give them away.
(d) They do not know the whereabouts of Henchard despite his popularity.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elizabeth receive her new home and money?
2. What is Elizabeth's manner when she first sees Farfrae in his room?
3. What does Farfrae do that wins the inn patrons over?
4. What does Farfrae and Susan observe about Henchard?
5. What makes Elizabeth believe Donald is not interested in wooing her?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)