|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 32.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Farfrae's plans when he arrives in Casterbridge?
(a) To spread the word of how lovely his country is to the world.
(b) To move on to Bristol and then to America.
(c) To apply for the manager's position with the mayor.
(d) To sell his wheat processing invention.
2. In chapter 28, why do so many gather around Town Hall?
(a) The name of the new mayor is to be announced.
(b) There is a large wagon crash.
(c) The defendant spread the rumor she tells a secret of the magistrate.
(d) The defendant tells Lucetta's secret.
3. Newly bankrupt and now a journeyman, what is the only thing Michael looks forward to?
(a) Talking with Jopp.
(b) Talking to his river image at the bridge.
(c) Talking with Elizabeth.
(d) Being able to drink again.
4. What is Elizabeth's manner when she first sees Farfrae in his room?
(c) Earnest and talkative.
(d) Observant and silent.
5. At the scene of the wagon crash, when Henchard's man says the word of Lucetta and Elizabeth Jane are not to be accounted for because all women swoon for Donald, Henchard __________.
(a) Agrees with him and dismisses the women.
(b) Becomes furious at the reminder and rushes off.
(c) Defends the women.
(d) Implores the truth of the statement from the women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henchard suggest to announce in the paper?
2. How do Susan and Elizabeth pay for their lodgings, despite their little income?
3. In chapter 19, what act blatantly shows Michael's disrespect for Susan's request?
4. How does Elizabeth receive her new home and money?
5. What surprises Henchard the most about Farfrae?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)