|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maurice choose Dr.Barry to go to first about his condition?
2. Where does Scudder want to meet Maurice?
3. When Maurice first arrives at Penge in Chapter 34, who greets him?
4. What phrase from Alec's letter does Maurice question?
5. What composer's music is featured in the opera in Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. On his way back to his room, whom does Maurice talk to in Chapter 37? When does he see this person next?
2. When Maurice talks to the first doctor about his homosexuality, what does the doctor say? How does Maurice feel after seeing him?
3. When Clive writes to Maurice after they break up, what does each letter say? What is uncharacteristic about Maurice and Clive's letters to one another during this time?
4. Whom does Ada become engaged to? What does Maurice do after she becomes engaged?
5. Whom does Maurice go to first to try to cure his homosexuality? Why does he go to this person?
6. What does Maurice announce to Clive when he is visiting Penge in Chapter 35? What is Clive's reaction to this? How does this make Maurice feel?
7. How does Maurice get tickets to the opera in Chapter 32? What composer's music was being played?
8. When Scudder leaves in the morning, what does Maurice do? What causes Maurice anxiety?
9. Why is Maurice suspicious of Alec? What does Lasker say about the letter Alec writes?
10. What new thing did Maurice's grandfather invent? What is at the stem of this belief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 39 and 40 follow Maurice during a very stressful time. Explore the building stress for Maurice, the reasons behind it, including how Maurice responds to this stress. Be sure to include at least 3 examples.
Essay Topic 2
When Maurice visits Clive and his new wife Anne, he acts differently. Examine Maurice's behavior during this period, and the reasons behind it. Make sure to include at least three examples of his changed behavior.
Essay Topic 3
Near the end of the novel, Mr. Borenius makes a rather long speech to Maurice about sexuality. What is the significance of this speech to both Maurice and the novel as a whole?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)