|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ada's response to her and Maurice's talk in Chapter 28?
2. What does Maurice begin to contemplate after his fight with Clive?
3. When Maurice tells Clive about him and Alec, what is Clive's reaction?
4. What phrase does Maurice's father repeat on his deathbed?
5. When Clive arrives in Chapter 39, what does everyone have him do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alec's letter to Maurice say in Chapter 42? How does Maurice respond to this letter?
2. After Clive breaks up with Maurice, what does Maurice think will happen? What is Maurice's life dependent on?
3. During the cricket match, what happens to Maurice? What does Anne offer Maurice to help him?
4. On his way back to his room, whom does Maurice talk to in Chapter 37? When does he see this person next?
5. Where do Maurice and Alec meet in London? Whom does Maurice see there?
6. When Alec does not get onto the boat, where does Maurice go to find him? What does Alec assume about Maurice when he sees him?
7. When Clive calls Maurice, why is Maurice hurt? What does Maurice do in spite of these feelings?
8. How does Maurice get tickets to the opera in Chapter 32? What composer's music was being played?
9. What information does Risley give Maurice about a famous composer? How does this information make Maurice feel?
10. What engagement does Maurice break off in order to spend the night with Alec? What does he try to convince Alec to do the next day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Clive hears about Maurice's relationship at the end of the novel, he is shocked. What is Clive's reaction to the news, and what are the reasons behind his reaction?
Essay Topic 2
When Maurice summons up the courage to see Dr. Barry about his problems, he leaves feeling let down but hopeful. Discuss Maurice's interaction with Dr. Barry about his sexuality, explaining the actions of both characters and the results of these actions.
Essay Topic 3
When Maurice learns of Clive's engagement, it comes as a great shock to him. Examine the reasons behind Maurice's response to Clive and his fiancée, including their conversation on the telephone.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)