|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Clive become engaged to?
2. When Clive calls Maurice, how many of Clive's friends does his fiancée say she had talked to?
3. From whom does Maurice learn about Clive's engagement?
4. In Chapter 26, what do Clive's letters to Maurice say?
5. What does Lasker recommend to Maurice in Chapter 41?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Alec does not get onto the boat, where does Maurice go to find him? What does Alec assume about Maurice when he sees him?
2. Whom does Maurice go to first to try to cure his homosexuality? Why does he go to this person?
3. On his way back to his room, whom does Maurice talk to in Chapter 37? When does he see this person next?
4. When Clive writes to Maurice after they break up, what does each letter say? What is uncharacteristic about Maurice and Clive's letters to one another during this time?
5. What engagement does Maurice break off in order to spend the night with Alec? What does he try to convince Alec to do the next day?
6. What does Maurice announce to Clive when he is visiting Penge in Chapter 35? What is Clive's reaction to this? How does this make Maurice feel?
7. What information does Risley give Maurice about a famous composer? How does this information make Maurice feel?
8. When Maurice returns home from Penge, what does his mother want him to do? What does he receive during this time?
9. What new thing did Maurice's grandfather invent? What is at the stem of this belief?
10. What does Alec's letter to Maurice say in Chapter 42? How does Maurice respond to this letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lasker is one of the few people that Maurice talks with openly about his homosexuality. Explain the important perspective that Lasker provides in the novel, and give at least 3 ways his character affects Maurice in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
After Clive breaks up with Maurice, Maurice undergoes much change. Explore the changes in Maurice, making sure to include at least 3 examples of a change in his character.
Essay Topic 3
After Maurice allows himself to pursue a relationship with Clive, his behavior changes. Examine this change in Maurice, providing at least three examples of his change in behavior towards others.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)