|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ada's response to her and Maurice's talk in Chapter 28?
2. What does Maurice's grandfather invent?
3. What is Mr. Borenius' profession?
4. What happens when Maurice returns to his room in Chapter 39?
5. Where does Scudder want to meet Maurice?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Clive breaks up with Maurice, what does Maurice think will happen? What is Maurice's life dependent on?
2. When Maurice returns home from Penge, what does his mother want him to do? What does he receive during this time?
3. What does Maurice try to tell his grandfather but cannot? What does Maurice realize about life from his grandfather?
4. Whom does Maurice go to first to try to cure his homosexuality? Why does he go to this person?
5. When Alec does not get onto the boat, where does Maurice go to find him? What does Alec assume about Maurice when he sees him?
6. How does Maurice get tickets to the opera in Chapter 32? What composer's music was being played?
7. What information does Risley give Maurice about a famous composer? How does this information make Maurice feel?
8. Where do Maurice and Alec meet in London? Whom does Maurice see there?
9. When Maurice talks to the first doctor about his homosexuality, what does the doctor say? How does Maurice feel after seeing him?
10. What does Maurice announce to Clive when he is visiting Penge in Chapter 35? What is Clive's reaction to this? How does this make Maurice feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Maurice visits Clive and his new wife Anne, he acts differently. Examine Maurice's behavior during this period, and the reasons behind it. Make sure to include at least three examples of his changed behavior.
Essay Topic 2
When Maurice summons up the courage to see Dr. Barry about his problems, he leaves feeling let down but hopeful. Discuss Maurice's interaction with Dr. Barry about his sexuality, explaining the actions of both characters and the results of these actions.
Essay Topic 3
When Maurice and Durham become friends, they test boundaries with one another, both mentally and physically. Discuss the physical relationship between Durham and Maurice, examining what each act means in the evolution of their relationship.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)