|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on the night before Clive goes on his trip in Chapter 21?
2. What does Clive like about Maurice?
3. On Maurice's high school graduation day, what does Dr. Barry talk to him about?
4. What does Clive do with Maurice's letter in Chapter 23?
5. Why does Clive choose such a small room for Maurice when he visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Maurice meet in Risley's room? What is he looking for?
2. As Mr. Ducie and Maurice walk away from the beach, what does Mr. Ducie say? What does Maurice think of Mr. Ducie for an instant?
3. What does Durham consider a hypocrisy? What does he tell Maurice to read over vacation?
4. Where does Maurice go to college? What does he discover about it? How does he feel about this?
5. When does Clive fall out of love with Maurice? How does he react to Maurice after this?
6. Where does Maurice first go looking for Risley? Why doesn't Maurice want to go to Risley's room?
7. What is the name of Clive's family home? How is Clive's family different from Maurice's?
8. When Durham finds out Maurice read the Symposium, what does he say to him? What is Maurice's reaction?
9. Where do Clive and Maurice go after Cambridge? What night of the week does Maurice spend at Clive's apartment?
10. Who does Clive want to be alone with when he visits the Halls in Chapter 25? Why does he want this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Maurice and Durham become friends, they test boundaries with one another, both mentally and physically. Discuss the physical relationship between Durham and Maurice, examining what each act means in the evolution of their relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Maurice's grandfather is a strong influence on Maurice. Discuss what Maurice learns from his grandfather, and how Maurice applies these newly learned things.
Essay Topic 3
During one vacation, Maurice takes up a relationship with a girl named Gladys Olcott. Write an essay on Maurice's motivation for this relationship and the reasons for its sudden demise.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)