|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Clive's mother have in mind as a wife for Clive?
2. What happens between Clive and Maurice's family in Chapter 19?
3. What do we learn about Clive in the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. What is the novel dedicated to?
5. How old is Maurice when he goes to visit Clive and his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Clive and Maurice go after Cambridge? What night of the week does Maurice spend at Clive's apartment?
2. Who does Clive want to be alone with when he visits the Halls in Chapter 25? Why does he want this?
3. Why does Clive make sure Maurice has a tiny room? What do they spend their nights doing?
4. When Durham finds out Maurice read the Symposium, what does he say to him? What is Maurice's reaction?
5. What is the name of Clive's family home? How is Clive's family different from Maurice's?
6. Where does Clive go after visiting the Halls in Chapter 25? What plans are canceled because of this?
7. What does Durham consider a hypocrisy? What does he tell Maurice to read over vacation?
8. Where does Maurice first go looking for Risley? Why doesn't Maurice want to go to Risley's room?
9. When Clive goes to Greece, what does he write to Maurice? What is Maurice's reaction to this letter?
10. What does Clive's mother question Maurice about? How does this affect Maurice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Maurice and Durham become friends, they test boundaries with one another, both mentally and physically. Discuss the physical relationship between Durham and Maurice, examining what each act means in the evolution of their relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Think about Maurice's upbringing in the preparatory school up until college. Write an essay about the timetable of Maurice's awareness of his own sexuality, discussing how his school affects his feelings about this.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 39 and 40 follow Maurice during a very stressful time. Explore the building stress for Maurice, the reasons behind it, including how Maurice responds to this stress. Be sure to include at least 3 examples.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)