|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Durham looking for?
2. What do Clive and Maurice spend their nights doing?
3. Where does Maurice's mother live?
4. In Chapter 1, what are Maurice and his class doing?
5. What do Clive and Maurice do when the motorbike breaks down?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Clive in Chapter 12? How does this affect his feelings for Maurice?
2. What happens when Maurice and Clive decide to spend the day together? What is the consequence of this action?
3. Why does Clive make sure Maurice has a tiny room? What do they spend their nights doing?
4. When Mr. Ducie talks to Maurice in Chapter 1, what does he talk about? What does he do to help illustrate his point?
5. What does the Dean ask Maurice to do? Why does he refuse? What is the consequence of this action?
6. Where does Maurice first go looking for Risley? Why doesn't Maurice want to go to Risley's room?
7. What is the name of Clive's family home? How is Clive's family different from Maurice's?
8. What is Maurice's reaction to Clive breaking up with him? What is the consequence of their argument?
9. Where does Clive go after visiting the Halls in Chapter 25? What plans are canceled because of this?
10. Where does Maurice go to High School? Why is he uncomfortable there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about the character of Risley including how he appears at certain times in Maurice's life. Discuss the influence Risley's character has on Maurice, and what his presence might represent in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Think about Maurice's feeling of superiority over Alec, and Clive's feeling of superiority over Maurice. Discuss superiority in relationships and society in the novel, exploring at least 3 examples of this topic.
Essay Topic 3
Maurice is very skeptical about Scudder. Write about Maurice's reaction to Scudder and the reasons behind this skepticism, being sure to include at least 3 examples of Maurice's suspicion of Scudder.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)