|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maurice's grandfather invent?
(a) A new car.
(b) A new cosmogony.
(c) A new language.
(d) A new law.
2. What composer's music is featured in the opera in Chapter 32?
3. In Chapter 26, what do Clive's letters to Maurice say?
(a) "I still love you."
(b) "I need to see you."
(c) "We had better not meet."
(d) "It's not fair that you won't let me see Ada."
4. What does Scudder's father do for a living?
(a) He is a farmer.
(b) He is a businessman.
(c) He is a cobbler.
(d) He is a butcher.
5. What is uncharacteristic about the letters between Clive and Maurice in Chapter 26?
(a) They are passionate.
(b) They are unemotional.
(c) They are full of lies.
(d) They do not write letters to each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Maurice finds Alec, what is Alec doing?
2. What is the name of the ship that Alec is sailing on?
3. When Maurice first arrives at Penge in Chapter 34, who greets him?
4. What does Maurice decide to do before dinner in Chapter 34?
5. What does Dr. Barry tell Maurice about his troubles?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Maurice returns home from Penge, what does his mother want him to do? What does he receive during this time?
2. What advice does Lasker give Maurice? What does he say about England?
3. When Clive calls Maurice, why is Maurice hurt? What does Maurice do in spite of these feelings?
4. After Clive breaks up with Maurice, what does Maurice think will happen? What is Maurice's life dependent on?
5. How does Maurice get tickets to the opera in Chapter 32? What composer's music was being played?
6. What does Alec's letter to Maurice say in Chapter 42? How does Maurice respond to this letter?
7. When Maurice talks to the first doctor about his homosexuality, what does the doctor say? How does Maurice feel after seeing him?
8. When Clive writes to Maurice after they break up, what does each letter say? What is uncharacteristic about Maurice and Clive's letters to one another during this time?
9. When Scudder leaves in the morning, what does Maurice do? What causes Maurice anxiety?
10. After Maurice sees Lasker for the last time, what does he decide about himself? How does he reconcile this?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)