|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Maurice tells Durham he read the Symposium, what does Durham do?
(a) Leaves Maurice alone.
(b) Says that he is engaged to a girl back home.
(c) Tells Maurice he loves him.
(d) Has a lively debate with Maurice about the piece.
2. What does Clive write to Maurice in Chapter 22?
(a) He is in love with Ada.
(b) He is staying in Greece forever.
(c) He has become normal?
(d) He never wants to see him again.
3. Whom does Clive's mother have in mind as a wife for Clive?
(b) A Greek girl.
(c) A cousin.
4. What does Mr. Ducie talk with Maurice about?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
5. What is the name of the preparatory schoolmaster?
(a) Mr. Conroy.
(b) Mr. Ducie.
(c) Mr. Abrahams.
(d) Mr. Reed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Ducie want to talk to Maurice in the first chapter?
2. What is Maurice's reaction to Durham after he reads the Symposium?
3. In Chapter 9, when Durham firsts visits Maurice, what happens?
4. What advice does Dr. Barry give Maurice?
5. Who is the first person Clive sees when he returns to the Hall home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Clive want to be alone with when he visits the Halls in Chapter 25? Why does he want this?
2. What does Durham consider a hypocrisy? What does he tell Maurice to read over vacation?
3. Why does Clive make sure Maurice has a tiny room? What do they spend their nights doing?
4. What does the Dean ask Maurice to do? Why does he refuse? What is the consequence of this action?
5. What is the name of Clive's family home? How is Clive's family different from Maurice's?
6. How old is Maurice when Mr. Ducie talks to him on the beach? What is Maurice's reaction to Mr. Ducie's talk?
7. What does Clive's mother question Maurice about? How does this affect Maurice?
8. When Durham and Maurice talk, how do they sit? What does Maurice do to Durham?
9. When Mr. Ducie talks to Maurice in Chapter 1, what does he talk about? What does he do to help illustrate his point?
10. In the beginning of the novel, what is Maurice's class doing? Why does Mr. Ducie want to speak with Maurice?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)