|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Durham question Maurice about?
(a) Whether he is in love with Clive.
(b) Whether Clive has a girl.
(c) Whether he has ever travelled anywhere.
(d) Whether he is going back to college.
2. At the end of Chapter 1, what does Maurice think about Mr. Ducie?
(a) He is a wonderful man.
(b) He is cruel.
(c) He wishes Mr. Ducie was his father.
(d) He is a liar.
3. What is different about Chapter 12?
(a) There is an omniscient narrator.
(b) It is written without punctuation.
(c) It is told from Clive's perspective.
(d) Maurice narrates it.
4. What does Mr. Ducie forget to do after their talk?
(a) Erase the drawings in the sand.
(b) Ask if Maurice understood.
(c) Give Maurice a hall pass.
(d) Take Maurice back to class.
5. What does Clive do with Maurice's letter in Chapter 23?
(a) Doesn't ever open it.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Cries over it.
(d) Rips it up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maurice insist on doing for Clive when he falls ill?
2. What do Clive and Maurice plan to do instead of going to class one day?
3. Who is waiting up while Clive is ill in case they need her?
4. Whom does Maurice ignore when he is with Clive?
5. When Maurice returns from Christmas vacation, what does Durham tell him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maurice find out about Clive's engagement? Whom does he meet that very same day?
2. What does Clive's mother question Maurice about? How does this affect Maurice?
3. How old is Maurice when Mr. Ducie talks to him on the beach? What is Maurice's reaction to Mr. Ducie's talk?
4. Where do Clive and Maurice go after Cambridge? What night of the week does Maurice spend at Clive's apartment?
5. When Clive writes to Maurice after they break up, what does each letter say? What is uncharacteristic about Maurice and Clive's letters to one another during this time?
6. When Mr. Ducie talks to Maurice in Chapter 1, what does he talk about? What does he do to help illustrate his point?
7. Whom does Maurice go to first to try to cure his homosexuality? Why does he go to this person?
8. Where does Maurice first go looking for Risley? Why doesn't Maurice want to go to Risley's room?
9. What excuse does Maurice give for leaving Penge in Chapter 40? What do Anne and Clive think is the real reason?
10. What does Durham tell Maurice about his Christmas vacation? What shocks Maurice about Durham at first?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)