|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clive try to dissuade Maurice from doing in Chapter 21?
(a) Coming to Greece with him.
(b) Spending the night at his apartment.
(c) Working at the firm.
(d) Going home with his family.
2. In Chapter 1, what are Maurice and his class doing?
(a) Reading in a classroom.
(b) Going to the auditorium.
(c) They are at recess.
(d) Taking a walk.
3. Who is the first person that Clive meets who is homosexual?
(c) The Dean.
(d) His cousin.
4. What does Maurice say to Clive when he tries to tell him he loves him and Clive will not accept?
(a) "Be a hypocrite if you want to."
(b) "Oh, go to Hell, it's all you're fit for."
(c) "Oh leave me alone and never come back."
(d) "Forget you- there are others out there."
5. What advice does Dr. Barry give Maurice?
(a) He should go back to college.
(b) He should travel the world.
(c) He should become a writer.
(d) He should find a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Maurice and Clive travel together after Cambridge?
2. Who prompts a change in Clive in Chapter 24?
3. After the banquet in Chapter 21, where do Maurice and Clive go?
4. In Chapter 2, what is Maurice's second dream about?
5. Who is Gladys Olcott?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Maurice first go looking for Risley? Why doesn't Maurice want to go to Risley's room?
2. During the cricket match, what happens to Maurice? What does Anne offer Maurice to help him?
3. What is different about the format of Chapter 12? What does this show?
4. What engagement does Maurice break off in order to spend the night with Alec? What does he try to convince Alec to do the next day?
5. When Clive comes back from Greece, where does he go first? Who is the first person he sees there?
6. During a lunch with the Dean, whom does Maurice meet? What does he like about this person?
7. When Durham finds out Maurice read the Symposium, what does he say to him? What is Maurice's reaction?
8. What advice does Dr. Barry give Maurice? What does Dr. Barry get angry about?
9. Whom does Maurice go to first to try to cure his homosexuality? Why does he go to this person?
10. Where does Maurice go to High School? Why is he uncomfortable there?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)