|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what is Maurice's second dream about?
(a) His dog.
(d) A friend.
2. When Maurice goes home for Easter vacation, what does he tell his mother?
(a) He is not going to go back to college.
(b) He is in love with Durham.
(c) He no longer goes to church.
(d) He is not going to work in his father's firm.
3. What is the novel dedicated to?
(a) "A better year".
(b) "A freer society".
(c) "A life without rules".
(d) "A better life".
4. What does Maurice refuse to do which warrants him a further punishment?
(a) Apologize to the Dean.
(b) Go and work in his father's firm.
(c) Talk properly to his mother.
(d) Tell Clive that he loves him.
5. Who is Dr. Barry?
(a) A family friend.
(b) Maurice's father.
(c) A suitor of Maurice's mother.
(d) The family doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Ducie forget to do after their talk?
2. What makes Maurice sad about Clive when he visits Clive's family?
3. What is different about Chapter 12?
4. At the end of Chapter 6, what does Maurice hope?
5. What does Clive become ill with after his bar exams?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Durham tell Maurice about his Christmas vacation? What shocks Maurice about Durham at first?
2. Where does Maurice go to college? What does he discover about it? How does he feel about this?
3. In the beginning of the novel, what is Maurice's class doing? Why does Mr. Ducie want to speak with Maurice?
4. When Durham and Maurice talk, how do they sit? What does Maurice do to Durham?
5. Where does Clive go after visiting the Halls in Chapter 25? What plans are canceled because of this?
6. When Clive comes back from Greece, where does he go first? Who is the first person he sees there?
7. What is revealed about Clive in Chapter 12? How does this affect his feelings for Maurice?
8. What do Durham and Maurice debate about? What is the result of this debate?
9. When Durham finds out Maurice read the Symposium, what does he say to him? What is Maurice's reaction?
10. When Clive collapses at the Halls', what does Maurice do unexpectedly? How does he explain this to his mother?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)