* The novel begins with a dedication to "a happier year".
* Part One begins with Maurice with at the age of 14.
* He is graduating from the boys' school and moving on to public school.
* Mr. Ducie, a teacher at the school, takes him aside to give him advice before leaving.
* Mr. Ducie tells Maurice about sex, drawing lines in the sand to help Maurice understand what he is talking about.
* Maurice listens, but soon becomes bored because he has never felt these feelings before.
* Mr. Ducie thinks that he must have had these feelings, and continues anyway.
* When Maurice returns home, his mother talks about Maurice's position of filling his father's place.
* Maurice's thoughts stray to a young garden boy who used to work for them.
* Maurice becomes overwhelmed and his mother says he is overtired and must rest.
* In Chapter 3 Maurice goes to public school...
This section contains 1,998 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)