Part 1, Chapters 1-5
• The novel begins with a dedication to "a happier year".
• Part One begins with Maurice with at the age of 14.
• He is graduating from the boys' school and moving on to public school.
• Mr. Ducie, a teacher at the school, takes him aside to give him advice before leaving.
• Mr. Ducie tells Maurice about sex, drawing lines in the sand to help Maurice understand what he is talking about.
• Maurice listens, but soon becomes bored because he has never felt these feelings before.
• Mr. Ducie thinks that he must have had these feelings, and continues anyway.
• When Maurice returns home, his mother talks about Maurice's position of filling his father's place.
• Maurice's thoughts stray to a young garden boy who used to work for them.
• Maurice becomes overwhelmed and his mother says he is overtired and must rest.
• In Chapter 3 Maurice goes to public school...
This section contains 2,230 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)