|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is their arrival a great consternation in Tsau?
2. What fact do a couple of women ask the narrator to confirm?
3. Who does Nelson bring gifts for the night he comes to get the narrator?
4. How do Harold Mace and Julia Rodden arrive in Tsau?
5. What does Nelson say attacked a male lion in the desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nelson feel about the men in Tsau?
2. How does the narrator react when Nelson shows her a political diagram of the women in the village? Why? How does Nelson react? Why? Are their reactions characteristic of them?
3. How are children born in Tsau? How does the narrator react to the birthing process?
4. Why are the villagers against hand washing and sanitation?
5. What are some of the issues that Nelson Denoon and the narrator debate and discuss?
6. There continues to be social unrest in Tsau. The village is now split regarding the presence of the night men. What does the narrator learn about the disagreement? How does she feel about it?
7. Why does the scheduled debate over God bother the narrator so much? How does Nelson feel?
8. How does the narrator feel about her decision regarding whether or not to stay in Tsau?
9. Why does the narrator leave the villager's presentation of Lamentations of Women?
10. What argument do Nelson and the narrator have the day after the debate? Why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader sees increasingly Nelson Denoon's need and desire to pull away from the governing of Tsau, but he is unable to do so. Explain three examples the author gives of this dilemma. Why does this dilemma exist?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Mother Committee and the powerful women involved. This experimental village is meant to give women rights and powers that they don't have in ordinary society. However, based on the characters you've just described, what are the differences and similarities between men in ordinary society at that time and the women in Tsau?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the exchange between Dineo and the narrator that ends in the bathhouse. What message is Dineo trying to send the narrator through her conversation and her actions?
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)