|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator do with most of her possessions?
(a) Mail them off.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) Sell them off.
(d) Both of these.
2. How does Nelson Denoon react to the narrator's arrival in Tsau?
(a) He is angry at her for coming.
(b) He pretends he doesn't know her.
(c) He is happy to see her.
(d) He is surprised and disappointed.
3. What activity do the narrator and Nelson do together around the village?
(a) They share meals together.
(b) They take walks together.
(c) They check livestock.
(d) They find uses for new inventions.
4. What does Nelson believe African village-societies can offer Africans?
(a) All of these.
(b) The opportunity to pursue other ideas and dreams.
(c) The ability to choose work they are interested in.
(d) A utopian environment.
5. What are the names of the animals the narrator is traveling with?
(a) Moa and Bapt.
(b) Frank and Betty.
(c) Milly and Billy.
(d) Mmo and Baph.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator go the day after the party to find Nelson Denoon?
2. How long does the narrator plan to rest in Gaborone?
3. What job is the narrator offered at a party in Gaborone?
4. What is the narrator doing when she bumps into Grace Denoon?
5. What does the narrator notice as she enters Tsau?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator stick to the story she created when she first entered Tsau?
2. What does the narrator notice as she approaches Tsau? What memories does it evoke?
3. The narrator has conflicting feelings about Nelson Denoon after talking to him further in the squatter settlement. What are they?
4. How does the narrator prepare to leave for Tsau? How does she plan to travel? What risks is she taking?
5. There are disagreements as to whether or not Nelson and the narrator should be a couple. Describe the feelings on this subject in the village.
6. What feelings does the narrator have as a result of visiting Victoria Falls with Giles? Why?
7. Nelson Denoon tells the narrator at the squatters settlement that there is no place for her on his project. However, she is packing anyway. Why? What does this say about her character?
8. What does the narrator take with her to Tsau? Why is this significant?
9. The narrator begins to have very strange experiences in the desert. What are they, and how does she overcome it?
10. Why does the narrator have such difficulty finding the place where Nelson Denoon is rumored to be staying?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)