|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do we learn about Nelson Denoon from the narrators flash-forward as she enters Tsau?
(a) He came from a very cold, uncaring family.
(b) He had several brothers and sisters.
(c) He had an alcoholic mother and a passive father.
(d) He had an alcoholic father and a passive mother.
2. Who is building a village from the ground up?
(b) Nelson Denoon.
(c) Martin Wade.
(d) The narrator.
3. What does "Z" do for a living?
(a) "Z" is a South African politician.
(b) "Z" is an American spy.
(c) "Z" is a local undercover agent.
(d) "Z" is a British spy.
4. What does the narrator do to set herself apart when she meets Nelson Denoon?
(a) Neither of these.
(b) She is very witty.
(c) She speaks to him in Setswana.
(d) Both of these.
5. What secret does "Z" finally share?
(a) His secret connection to Martin Wade.
(b) Information on a social experiment.
(c) The fact that the narrator is being watched by the authorities.
(d) His real identity.
6. How old is the narrator when she starts her journey to Gaborone at the beginning of the book?
7. How is Grace Denoon described by the narrator when she runs into Grace?
(a) Acting strangely.
(b) Obviously rich.
(c) All of these.
8. What activity do the narrator and Nelson do together around the village?
(a) They take walks together.
(b) They check livestock.
(c) They find uses for new inventions.
(d) They share meals together.
9. What is a rondavel?
(a) A cart pulled by donkeys.
(b) A community building located in the center of the village.
(c) A farming tool.
(d) A round thatched hut.
10. What does Grace tell the narrator during their lunch in a restaurant?
(a) All of these.
(b) The narrator is someone Nelson would like.
(c) Nelson is free now and she wants him to be happy.
(d) She has a sixth sense when it comes to Nelson.
11. What does the narrator use to keep predators away at night in the desert?
(a) Spreads ammonia around the camp to keep them away.
(b) Sets up trip wires, torches, and traps.
(c) Light a ring fire.
(d) Spreads urine around the camp to keep them away.
12. What do the villagers of Tsau do at night?
(a) Stay in their individual homes for safety reasons.
(b) Develop a plan for tomorrow's chores and activities.
(c) Go around the village socializing with houses that have a welcome light on.
(d) Meet in the community building for dinner.
13. What physical ailment is "Z" hiding that the narrator helps him alleviate?
(a) "Z" has an infected leg which causes a great deal of pain.
(b) "Z" has severe back pain.
(c) "Z" recently lost a toe on one foot and it's very painful for him.
(d) "Z" has an arm with nerve damage, causing him a great deal of pain.
14. How many members are on Tsau's governing body?
15. Who leads the narrator to Nelson Denoon?
(b) A local official.
(c) Women in the market.
(d) A soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes the narrator in when she arrives in Tsau?
2. What mistake does the narrator make after finding Nelson Denoon?
3. Who is Nelson Denoon rumored to be staying with in a squatter settlement?
4. What color is Nelson Denoon's hair?
5. What does the narrator notice as she enters Tsau?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)