Chapter 1 (pages 5-32)
• The reader is introduced to the narrator, who's an unnamed 32-year-old American graduate student.
• She has just finished 18 months studying the effect of seasonal nutritional availability and its effect on fertility in the African bush and is on her way to Gaborone.
• She arrives in Gaborone ready for abundance, luxury, romance, and sex.
• She wants to find a niche for herself, so she positions herself as a cultural tour guide.
• The narrator is offered a house sitting job and receives several invitations to meals and other activities.
• She is planning on resting in Africa until her savings run out.
• She takes a trip to Victoria Falls with a handsome photographer named Giles, but is disappointed when he loses interest in her.
• She realizes on that trip that she is depressed, uncertain, and lonely.
Chapter 1 (pages 32-55)
• While house sitting in Gaborone, the narrator meets Martin...
This section contains 2,861 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)