|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the color of the pitcher that Miss Trunchbull pours water from?
2. What does the little boy Trunchbull is holding notice is moving by itself?
3. What is the name of the boy with dirty hands?
4. How does Miss Honey thank Matilda for her help?
5. What is different about Miss Honey's door?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Trunchbull try to force the children into making a mistake?
2. Why does Matilda think she has the power she has?
3. What is Matilda's plan to get back at Trunchbull?
4. How does Trunchbull upset Matilda in this section?
5. How does Trunchbull react to seeing a newt in her glass?
6. How does Miss Honey react when Matilda topples the glass?
7. How does Miss Honey react to Miss Trunchbull storming out of the classroom?
8. How does Trunchbull force answers from the children?
9. What does Trunchbull say would have happened if there had been a newt in her glass?
10. How does Matilda knock over the glass in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Michael, Matilda's brother, such a minor character in the book? What is his role in the story? Do you think the author treats his character well?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)