|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Matilda's best friend at school?
2. Why does Matilda think being in the school is like being in a cage with a cobra?
3. What is Trunchbull's first name?
4. What is the name of the boy with dirty hands?
5. Who died in Miss Honey"s family when she was only two years old?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lavender want to get revenge on Trunchbull?
2. What does Trunchbull say would have happened if there had been a newt in her glass?
3. How does Lavender decide to get revenge on Trunchbull?
4. Why does Matilda think she has the power she has?
5. How does Miss Honey's life get better after Trunchbull leaves?
6. How does life at school get better after Trunchbull leaves?
7. How does Matilda knock over the glass in this section?
8. What does Miss Honey tells Matilda about her life?
9. How does Trunchbull react to the words on the board?
10. Describe Miss Honey's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Matilda's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to the she is at the end.
1. What did Matilda hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Matilda ideas about life?
3. How has Matilda's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
In what way are Mr. and Mrs. Wormwood bad parents? What makes a good parent?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)