|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miss Honey think Matilda can no longer move objects with her eyes?
2. Which part of Nigel's body does Miss Trunchbull grab until he answers correctly?
3. What two things does Magnus ask Trunchball to give back to Miss Honey?
4. In which town did Miss Honey go to teaching training college?
5. What is Trunchbull's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does life at school get better after Trunchbull leaves?
2. How does Miss Honey react to Miss Trunchbull storming out of the classroom?
3. How did Miss Honey find her current house?
4. What indications are there that Miss Honey is poor?
5. Describe Miss Honey's house?
6. Why does Miss Trunchbull state that she has such a problem with Matilda?
7. How does Trunchbull react to seeing a newt in her glass?
8. Why does Lavender want to get revenge on Trunchbull?
9. What does Trunchbull say would have happened if there had been a newt in her glass?
10. Summarize the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do books help Matilda? In what way do the books she reads reflect her own life?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is Matilda's situation at the beginning of the book serious and traumatic? Despite the serious subject matter, how does Dahl keep the book lighthearted? What statement does the story make about difficult childhoods?
Essay Topic 3
How should adults deal with highly intelligent children? What mistakes do the adults make in dealing with Matilda? What problems are there in the way Miss Honey deals with Matilda's intelligence?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)