|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say Matilda's parents think of her as?
2. What has Michael inherited from his father?
3. What color does Mrs. Wormwood dye her hair?
4. What is the name of Mrs. Trunchbull's lock in cupboard?
5. What does Mrs. Wormwood tell Matilda she will learn when she is older?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Wormwood so proud of his hair?
2. Why does Miss Trunchbull say she has such respect for Matilda's father?
3. In what way is Matilda head and shoulders above the rest of the class?
4. How does Matilda's father anger her in this section?
5. How does Mr. Wormwood upset Matilda in this chapter?
6. Describe Mr. Wormwood.
7. How do teacher get their revenge on parents?
8. How does Miss Honey feel when she leaves Matilda's parents?
9. How does Matilda learn to read?
10. What does Dahl say parents usually think of their children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
What statement does the author make about adulthood? Could any problems from communicating such a point of view in a children's book?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)