|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Miss Honey hands out to the children?
2. Why does Hortensia say parents don't complain about Trunchbull?
3. What does Matilda's father say he has in his head?
4. What author did Matilda travel to India with?
5. What is Mrs. Wormwood watching on TV?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miss Trunchbull say she has such respect for Matilda's father?
2. How does Matilda get back at her father first time she plays a trick on him?
3. What does this chapter tell us about Trunchbull's past?
4. How does Matilda react to her parent's insults in this section?
5. How do teacher get their revenge on parents?
6. How does Matilda learn to read?
7. How does Bruce Bogtrotter get one up on Trunchbull in this section?
8. How does Mr. Wormwood cheat his customers?
9. How does Matilda react to the librarian claims that Matilda is not an ordinary child?
10. How does Miss Honey react to Matilda's brilliance in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why has the book "Matilda" been so popular with children? Why do children seem to relate to the story so well?
Essay Topic 2
How should adults deal with highly intelligent children? What mistakes do the adults make in dealing with Matilda? What problems are there in the way Miss Honey deals with Matilda's intelligence?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)