|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Honey think that Miss Trunchbull is as barmy as?
2. What was Mr. Wormwood's face as dark as when he arrives back from work in the Ghost chapter?
3. Why does Miss Trunchbull believe Matilda is a difficult child?
4. What is the difference between how most parents talk about their children and how Matilda's parents talk about Matilda?
5. What kind of jackets does Matilda's father like wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miss Honey make sure she doesn't single Matilda out?
2. How does Matilda get back at her whole family in this section?
3. What reasons are there for Mr. and Mrs. Wormwood's dislike of his daughter?
4. Describe the chokey.
5. How does Matilda react to the librarian claims that Matilda is not an ordinary child?
6. How does Mr. Wormwood react at work when he realizes he can't remove his hat?
7. What does Miss Trunchbull state about her own childhood?
8. Describe Miss Honey.
9. How do Matilda"s parents treat her brother differently to how they treat her?
10. In what way is Matilda head and shoulders above the rest of the class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What made Dahl such a successful children's writer? How does "Matilda" compare to his other children's books?
Essay Topic 2
How do books help Matilda? In what way do the books she reads reflect her own life?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)