|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of pet does Matilda put up the chimney?
(a) A parrot.
(b) An owl.
(c) A cat.
(d) A dog.
2. What does the author say Mr. Wormwood looks like in his loud suit?
(a) A high-class pimp.
(b) An Italian operatic singer on hoilday.
(c) A member of the paparazzi.
(d) A low-grade bookmaker.
3. What is the name of the village's librarian?
(a) Mrs. Thomas.
(b) Mr. Jackson.
(c) Mrs. Phelps.
(d) Miss Honey.
4. What author did Matilda travel to India with?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Rudyard Kipling.
(c) George Elliott.
(d) Joseph Conrad.
5. What does Miss Honey say is an amazing thing?
(a) The human brain.
(b) The animal world.
(d) Childrens' imaginations.
6. What does Miss Trunchball march like?
(a) A stormtrooper.
(b) A mafia boss.
(c) A Navy Seal.
(d) A robot.
7. What two authors does Matilda say her parents should read to learn more about life?
(a) Elliott and Seymour.
(b) Dickens and Kipling.
(c) Conrad and Selby Jr.
(d) Smith and Jones.
8. What material does Matilda's father say is the secret to his success?
(b) Hair dye.
(c) Cotton wool.
(d) Bread crumbs.
9. What animal does the author compare Matilda's father to?
(a) A dog.
(b) A mouse.
(c) A rat.
(d) A lion.
10. Why does Hortensia say that Miss Trunchbull likes to throw children?
(a) To break their bones.
(b) To teach them a lesson.
(c) To keep her arm in at the hammer throw.
(d) To break her throwing record.
11. How does Hortensia get in trouble with Miss Trunchball the first time?
(a) She poured golden syrup over Trunchbull's chair.
(b) She refused to do any work in class.
(c) She swore at the Trunchball.
(d) She pulled Truchbull's hair.
12. What does Mrs. Wormwood think her daughter should be focusing on?
(a) Learning to make friends.
(b) Playing games in the playground.
(c) Her problems with talking too much.
(d) Her looks and finding a husband.
13. What is the name of Matilda's teacher?
(a) Miss Trunchball.
(b) Miss Prune.
(c) Miss Honey.
(d) Miss Lemon.
14. What color does the author say is now Mr. Wormwood's hair?
(a) A sparkling gold.
(b) A bonny orange.
(c) A bright red.
(d) A dirty silver.
15. What is the name of Matilda's brother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Honey think that Miss Trunchbull is as barmy as?
2. What does Mr. Wormwood call his customers in the Platinum Blonde Man chapter?
3. What does Matilda's father put in the gear boxes?
4. What does Miss Honey say Miss Trunchbull can liquidize children like?
5. Why does Matilda say she wants to eat her supper in the dining room?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)