|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Levi tells Mr. Vandergelder she will be rich if she does what?
2. According to legend, what did the Hackls build?
3. What kind of bag does Mr. Vandergelder own?
4. Mrs. Levi says Mr. Vandergelder must do what by the end of the week?
5. How many entrance doorways are there in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character Ambrose.
2. Who builds up Cornelius to be a legend, confusing both Mrs. Malloy and Mr. Vandergelder? Why?
3. What is Mr. Vandergelder's excuse for not promoting Cornelius to anything of significance?
4. How does Cornelius feel about Mrs. Malloy in Act 2? At what point is this revealed?
5. Mrs. Levi tries to convince Ambrose to get Mr. Vandergelder's blessing. Why?
6. At the beginning of The Matchmaker, what is the relationship between Cornelius and Mr. Vandergelder?
7. Why does Mr. Vandergelder disapprove of his niece's suitor?
8. How do Cornelius and Barnaby describe Mr. Vandergelder to Mrs. Malloy?
9. What task does Mr. Vandergelder give Malachi to complete?
10. What does Mrs. Malloy tell Minnie the best part of marriage is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Vandergelder is looking for a wife in The Matchmaker. Compare and contrast the quality of relationship the following match would give him and why, based on examples from the text.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Malloy.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Miss Simple.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Miss Van H. and her lot in life. Why is this significant to the conclusion of The Matchmaker?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationship between Mr. Vandergelder and one of the following characters in The Matchmaker.
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)