|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Cornelius have in Mr. Vandergelder's safe?
2. Mrs. Malloy asks Minnie to put what on an ugly hat?
3. In Act 1, a ladder extends down from what?
4. What type of hat does Cornelius wear in Act 2?
5. In Act 1, who shaves Mr. Vandergelder?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cornelius feel about Mrs. Malloy in Act 2? At what point is this revealed?
2. What worries Minnie about Mr. Vandergelder's potential marriage proposal?
3. Describe the character Malachi.
4. Who builds up Cornelius to be a legend, confusing both Mrs. Malloy and Mr. Vandergelder? Why?
5. Why do Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store?
6. Why does Mr. Vandergelder disapprove of his niece's suitor?
7. How do Cornelius and Barnaby describe Mr. Vandergelder to Mrs. Malloy?
8. Describe the character Mrs. Levi.
9. What has Mrs. Levi discovered about Mr. Vandergelder and what does she plan to do about it?
10. Why is Mrs. Malloy annoyed by her reputation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several characters in The Matchmaker have been married before and lost their spouse. Choose from one of the following characters and examine how this loss affected their life.
- Mr. Vandergelder.
- Mrs. Malloy.
- Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of The Matchmaker, the character Malachi is presented as a fool. What other, surprising role does Malachi play throughout the play?
Essay Topic 3
The interaction of the characters is a major part in the resolution of the play. Analyze how and why all of the characters are brought together in Act 4 and the resulting conclusion of this meeting.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)