|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Levi says Mr. Vandergelder must do what by the end of the week?
2. How many entrances exist in Act 1?
3. What does Mrs. Levi suffer from?
4. According to Mrs. Malloy, marriage offers excellent _______.
5. Mrs. Levi claims she will get what out of helping Ambrose and Ermengarde?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprising acts of kindness are demonstrated by Mr. Vandergelder at the end of Act 4?
2. How does Cornelius feel about Mrs. Malloy in Act 2? At what point is this revealed?
3. What does Miss Van H. offer to do Barnaby to prevent him from getting cold in the bath and why is this comedic?
4. What worries Minnie about Mr. Vandergelder's potential marriage proposal?
5. Why does Mrs. Malloy hesitate to return Mr. Vandergelder's purse?
6. What does the money give Cornelius the courage to do?
7. Why are Cornelius and Barnaby delivered to Miss Van H.'s house?
8. At the restaurant, what surprises Mrs. Malloy about Millie?
9. Was Mrs. Levi successful in her schemes from the beginning of the play? Why or why not?
10. What does Mrs. Malloy plan to say to Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal?
Essay Topic 1
Instead of exposing the fraud of Cornelius and Barnaby in Act 2, Mrs. Levi encourages it. Why does she do this?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the different philosophies held by Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Levi regarding money.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Harmonia Gardens Restaurant. How does this setting add to the conflict in the play?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)