|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of shoes does Minnie wear?
2. In Act 1, whom does Mrs. Levi say she hoped Mr. Vandergelder would marry?
3. Who claims she will marry Mr. Vandergelder, if asked?
4. In Act 2, who claims to find Mr. Vandergelder unattractive?
5. When do Mrs. Levi and Mr. Vandergelder plan to meet outside Mrs. Malloy's store?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of The Matchmaker, what is the relationship between Cornelius and Mr. Vandergelder?
2. Describe the character Mrs. Levi.
3. What big plans does Mr. Vandergelder have at the beginning of The Matchmaker?
4. Describe the attire worn by Mr. Vandergelder to woo Mrs. Malloy, as well as the gift he brings for her.
5. What worries Minnie about Mr. Vandergelder's potential marriage proposal?
6. What does Mrs. Malloy plan to say to Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal?
7. How does Joe feel about Mr. Vandergelder? How do you know?
8. Describe the character Ambrose.
9. How does Mr. Vandergelder's disapproval affect the marriage of his niece?
10. What is Mr. Vandergelder's philosophy on people in the world and what is his history with this diagnosis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the play, Mr. Vandergelder is seen as all powerful, controlling many of the characters' lives. Citing examples from the text, examine how Mr. Vandergelder's hold over the characters lessens throughout The Matchmaker and why.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following characters and describe their physical appearance, relationship with others, and personal motivation.
- Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the Matchmaker? Cite examples from the text to support your theory.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)