|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Levi reveal to Ambrose?
2. What type of men does Mrs. Malloy always encounter?
3. What makes Cornelius and Barnaby sneeze?
4. How many entrance doorways are there in Act 2?
5. In Act 2, what purchase do Cornelius and Barnaby fake interest in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joe feel about Mr. Vandergelder? How do you know?
2. How do Cornelius and Barnaby describe Mr. Vandergelder to Mrs. Malloy?
3. What is Mr. Vandergelder's philosophy on people in the world and what is his history with this diagnosis?
4. What does Mrs. Malloy tell Minnie the best part of marriage is?
5. Why is Mrs. Malloy annoyed by her reputation?
6. What conversation between Minnie and Mrs. Malloy mirrors a conversation between Barnaby and Cornelius?
7. At the beginning of The Matchmaker, what is the relationship between Cornelius and Mr. Vandergelder?
8. What does Cornelius do to ensure he can get the time off work to go to New York?
9. Why does Mr. Vandergelder disapprove of his niece's suitor?
10. What is Mr. Vandergelder's excuse for not promoting Cornelius to anything of significance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The desire for adventure is something that motivates several characters in The Matchmaker. Identify several actions in the play where this desire for adventure caused a character to act in a way that was outside of their typical routine.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between Mr. Vandergelder and one of the following characters in The Matchmaker.
Essay Topic 3
Several characters in The Matchmaker have been married before and lost their spouse. Choose from one of the following characters and examine how this loss affected their life.
- Mr. Vandergelder.
- Mrs. Malloy.
- Mrs. Levi.
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)