|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, how many custom-made items do Cornelius and Barnaby claim to want?
2. According to Mrs. Malloy, ribbons will be worn how?
3. In Act 1, how does Joe call Cornelius?
4. In Act 1, who shaves Mr. Vandergelder?
5. What set piece takes up the middle of the back wall in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character Ermengarde.
2. How do Cornelius and Barnaby describe Mr. Vandergelder to Mrs. Malloy?
3. Who builds up Cornelius to be a legend, confusing both Mrs. Malloy and Mr. Vandergelder? Why?
4. What does Cornelius do to ensure he can get the time off work to go to New York?
5. What is Mr. Vandergelder's excuse for not promoting Cornelius to anything of significance?
6. How does Mr. Vandergelder's disapproval affect the marriage of his niece?
7. At the beginning of The Matchmaker, what is the relationship between Cornelius and Mr. Vandergelder?
8. What big plans does Mr. Vandergelder have at the beginning of The Matchmaker?
9. What has Mrs. Levi discovered about Mr. Vandergelder and what does she plan to do about it?
10. What worries Minnie about Mr. Vandergelder's potential marriage proposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The lost purse is a turning point in The Matchmaker. Explain how this lost purse creates a power shift and why.
Essay Topic 2
The desire for adventure is something that motivates several characters in The Matchmaker. Identify several actions in the play where this desire for adventure caused a character to act in a way that was outside of their typical routine.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of The Matchmaker, the character Malachi is presented as a fool. What other, surprising role does Malachi play throughout the play?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)