|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, who shaves Mr. Vandergelder?
2. In Act 1, how does Joe call Cornelius?
3. What does Mrs. Levi suffer from?
4. What type of straw does Mrs. Malloy offer Cornelius?
5. In what city does Act 2 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Malloy feel about being a milliner?
2. At what point does Cornelius admit he and Barnaby are having an adventure? How?
3. What has Mrs. Levi discovered about Mr. Vandergelder and what does she plan to do about it?
4. What confusion begins when Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store and lie?
5. How does Joe feel about Mr. Vandergelder? How do you know?
6. What display of emotion is shown by Mrs. Malloy at the end of Act 2, and why?
7. Why is Mrs. Malloy annoyed by her reputation?
8. At the beginning of The Matchmaker, what is the relationship between Cornelius and Mr. Vandergelder?
9. What does Mrs. Malloy plan to say to Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal?
10. Describe the character Ermengarde.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Instead of exposing the fraud of Cornelius and Barnaby in Act 2, Mrs. Levi encourages it. Why does she do this?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of The Matchmaker, the character Malachi is presented as a fool. What other, surprising role does Malachi play throughout the play?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Vandergelder is the central character in The Matchmaker. Citing examples from the text, examine this character.
1) How is Mr. Vandergelder described?
2) What do other characters say about Mr. Vandergelder?
3) What are some particular actions that help define Mr. Vandergelder?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)