|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Malloy, people think milliners are what?
2. How much does Mrs. Levi want to borrow from Mr. Vandergelder?
3. How many entrance doorways are there in Act 2?
4. How old does Mr. Vandergelder think Cornelius is?
5. What does Mr. Vandergelder do to avoid lending money to Mrs. Levi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What display of emotion is shown by Mrs. Malloy at the end of Act 2, and why?
2. What big plans does Mr. Vandergelder have at the beginning of The Matchmaker?
3. At the beginning of The Matchmaker, what is the relationship between Cornelius and Mr. Vandergelder?
4. What does Cornelius do to ensure he can get the time off work to go to New York?
5. Prior to Cornelius and Barnaby entering the hat shop, who does Mrs. Malloy claim and why?
6. What does Mrs. Malloy tell Minnie the best part of marriage is?
7. How does Mr. Vandergelder's disapproval affect the marriage of his niece?
8. How does Cornelius plan to stay in the store without buying a hat?
9. What task does Mr. Vandergelder give Malachi to complete?
10. What is Mr. Vandergelder's excuse for not promoting Cornelius to anything of significance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of The Matchmaker, the character Malachi is presented as a fool. What other, surprising role does Malachi play throughout the play?
Essay Topic 2
There are many characters in The Matchmaker who are not happy with their lot in life. Select one of the following characters and examine what the character is missing in life and why.
- Mrs. Malloy.
- Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 3
Instead of exposing the fraud of Cornelius and Barnaby in Act 2, Mrs. Levi encourages it. Why does she do this?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)