|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mr. Vandergelder reveal he will propose to?
2. Who dislikes the milliner business?
3. How much does Mrs. Levi want to borrow from Mr. Vandergelder?
4. How much money does Mr. Vandergelder lend Mrs. Levi?
5. In what city does Act 2 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What confusion begins when Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store and lie?
2. Why is Mrs. Malloy annoyed by her reputation?
3. Prior to Cornelius and Barnaby entering the hat shop, who does Mrs. Malloy claim and why?
4. How does Cornelius plan to stay in the store without buying a hat?
5. What has Mrs. Levi discovered about Mr. Vandergelder and what does she plan to do about it?
6. Describe the character Mrs. Levi.
7. Describe the attire worn by Mr. Vandergelder to woo Mrs. Malloy, as well as the gift he brings for her.
8. What big plans does Mr. Vandergelder have at the beginning of The Matchmaker?
9. Why does Mr. Vandergelder disapprove of his niece's suitor?
10. Describe the character Malachi.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Vandergelder is the central character in The Matchmaker. Citing examples from the text, examine this character.
1) How is Mr. Vandergelder described?
2) What do other characters say about Mr. Vandergelder?
3) What are some particular actions that help define Mr. Vandergelder?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following characters and describe their physical appearance, relationship with others, and personal motivation.
- Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the play, Mr. Vandergelder is seen as all powerful, controlling many of the characters' lives. Citing examples from the text, examine how Mr. Vandergelder's hold over the characters lessens throughout The Matchmaker and why.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)