|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What size is the hat Barnaby wears in Act 2?
2. How much money does Mr. Vandergelder lend Mrs. Levi?
3. What does Mr. Vandergelder do to avoid lending money to Mrs. Levi?
4. What does Mr. Vandergelder smoke at the beginning of the play?
5. What type of straw does Mrs. Malloy offer Cornelius?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mrs. Levi tries to convince Ambrose to get Mr. Vandergelder's blessing. Why?
2. Why does Mr. Vandergelder disapprove of his niece's suitor?
3. At the beginning of The Matchmaker, what is the relationship between Cornelius and Mr. Vandergelder?
4. Prior to Cornelius and Barnaby entering the hat shop, who does Mrs. Malloy claim and why?
5. Why do Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store?
6. At what point does Cornelius admit he and Barnaby are having an adventure? How?
7. What does Mrs. Malloy tell Minnie the best part of marriage is?
8. What does Mrs. Malloy plan to say to Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal?
9. What worries Minnie about Mr. Vandergelder's potential marriage proposal?
10. How does Cornelius feel about Mrs. Malloy in Act 2? At what point is this revealed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Vandergelder is the central character in The Matchmaker. Citing examples from the text, examine this character.
1) How is Mr. Vandergelder described?
2) What do other characters say about Mr. Vandergelder?
3) What are some particular actions that help define Mr. Vandergelder?
Essay Topic 2
Instead of exposing the fraud of Cornelius and Barnaby in Act 2, Mrs. Levi encourages it. Why does she do this?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of The Matchmaker, the character Malachi is presented as a fool. What other, surprising role does Malachi play throughout the play?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)