|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Cornelius worked for Mr. Vandergelder?
2. Mr. Vandergelder is Ermengarde's what?
3. When do Mrs. Levi and Mr. Vandergelder plan to meet outside Mrs. Malloy's store?
4. How does Mrs. Levi predict Mr. Vandergelder's life path?
5. According to Mr. Vandergelder, what percentage of the world is "fools"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mr. Vandergelder's excuse for not promoting Cornelius to anything of significance?
2. How does Joe feel about Mr. Vandergelder? How do you know?
3. At what point does Cornelius admit he and Barnaby are having an adventure? How?
4. What worries Minnie about Mr. Vandergelder's potential marriage proposal?
5. What does Cornelius do to ensure he can get the time off work to go to New York?
6. Why do Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store?
7. At the beginning of The Matchmaker, what is the relationship between Cornelius and Mr. Vandergelder?
8. How does Mrs. Malloy feel about being a milliner?
9. Describe the attire worn by Mr. Vandergelder to woo Mrs. Malloy, as well as the gift he brings for her.
10. What does Mrs. Malloy plan to say to Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the Matchmaker? Cite examples from the text to support your theory.
Essay Topic 2
Supporting characters help to move The Matchmaker forward. Choose from one of the following characters and analyze how the character helped to further the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Several characters in The Matchmaker have been married before and lost their spouse. Choose from one of the following characters and examine how this loss affected their life.
- Mr. Vandergelder.
- Mrs. Malloy.
- Mrs. Levi.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)