|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the opening of the play, what do Ambrose and Mr. Vandergelder fight about?
2. What type of men does Mrs. Malloy always encounter?
3. What does Joe refuse to do, even for fifty cents?
4. According to Mrs. Malloy, ribbons will be worn how?
5. What does Ambrose want, at the beginning of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Malloy annoyed by her reputation?
2. Why do Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store?
3. Describe the character Malachi.
4. How does Joe feel about Mr. Vandergelder? How do you know?
5. At the beginning of The Matchmaker, what is the relationship between Cornelius and Mr. Vandergelder?
6. What has Mrs. Levi discovered about Mr. Vandergelder and what does she plan to do about it?
7. What big plans does Mr. Vandergelder have at the beginning of The Matchmaker?
8. What is Mr. Vandergelder's philosophy on people in the world and what is his history with this diagnosis?
9. What does Cornelius do to ensure he can get the time off work to go to New York?
10. Prior to Cornelius and Barnaby entering the hat shop, who does Mrs. Malloy claim and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Vandergelder is the central character in The Matchmaker. Citing examples from the text, examine this character.
1) How is Mr. Vandergelder described?
2) What do other characters say about Mr. Vandergelder?
3) What are some particular actions that help define Mr. Vandergelder?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Vandergelder has a particular work ethic. Based on the text, describe it in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationship between Mr. Vandergelder and one of the following characters in The Matchmaker.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)