|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, what purchase do Cornelius and Barnaby fake interest in?
2. What does Cornelius want Mrs. Malloy to think of him?
3. In Act 2, Mr. Vandergelder is told Cornelius lives what?
4. Where does Mrs. Levi instruct Mr. Vandergelder to meet his should-be bride?
5. Who claims she will marry Mr. Vandergelder, if asked?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cornelius plan to stay in the store without buying a hat?
2. Describe the attire worn by Mr. Vandergelder to woo Mrs. Malloy, as well as the gift he brings for her.
3. What has Mrs. Levi discovered about Mr. Vandergelder and what does she plan to do about it?
4. Describe the character Ambrose.
5. What confusion begins when Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store and lie?
6. What task does Mr. Vandergelder give Malachi to complete?
7. What does Mrs. Malloy tell Minnie the best part of marriage is?
8. How does Mr. Vandergelder's disapproval affect the marriage of his niece?
9. What is Mr. Vandergelder's excuse for not promoting Cornelius to anything of significance?
10. How does Joe feel about Mr. Vandergelder? How do you know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Vandergelder is looking for a wife in The Matchmaker. Compare and contrast the quality of relationship the following match would give him and why, based on examples from the text.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Malloy.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Miss Simple.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 2
Supporting characters help to move The Matchmaker forward. Choose from one of the following characters and analyze how the character helped to further the plot.
Essay Topic 3
The desire for adventure is something that motivates several characters in The Matchmaker. Identify several actions in the play where this desire for adventure caused a character to act in a way that was outside of their typical routine.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)