|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Vandergelder, what percentage of the world is "fools"?
2. In Act 2, what outsider finds Cornelius and Barnaby hiding?
3. Whom does Mr. Vandergelder reveal he will propose to?
4. What does Malachi claim to want from Mr. Vandergelder?
5. How old does Mr. Vandergelder think Cornelius is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character Ermengarde.
2. What does Cornelius do to ensure he can get the time off work to go to New York?
3. Describe the attire worn by Mr. Vandergelder to woo Mrs. Malloy, as well as the gift he brings for her.
4. At what point does Cornelius admit he and Barnaby are having an adventure? How?
5. Explain Mrs. Levi's request to Mr. Vandergelder, at the end of Act 1.
6. What conversation between Minnie and Mrs. Malloy mirrors a conversation between Barnaby and Cornelius?
7. Who builds up Cornelius to be a legend, confusing both Mrs. Malloy and Mr. Vandergelder? Why?
8. Describe the character Ambrose.
9. How does Joe feel about Mr. Vandergelder? How do you know?
10. What confusion begins when Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store and lie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The lost purse is a turning point in The Matchmaker. Explain how this lost purse creates a power shift and why.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of The Matchmaker, the character Malachi is presented as a fool. What other, surprising role does Malachi play throughout the play?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Vandergelder is looking for a wife in The Matchmaker. Compare and contrast the quality of relationship the following match would give him and why, based on examples from the text.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Malloy.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Miss Simple.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Levi.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)