|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Vandergelder do to avoid lending money to Mrs. Levi?
2. In Act 1, who shaves Mr. Vandergelder?
3. Where does Act 1 take place?
4. What set piece takes up the middle of the back wall in Act 2?
5. In Act 2, what type of outing are Cornelius and Barnaby on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the attire worn by Mr. Vandergelder to woo Mrs. Malloy, as well as the gift he brings for her.
2. What does Mrs. Malloy plan to say to Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal?
3. Why are Cornelius and Barnaby delivered to Miss Van H.'s house?
4. What does Mrs. Malloy do at the restaurant that makes her feel young?
5. How does Mrs. Malloy feel about being a milliner?
6. What is Miss Van H.'s philosophy on life?
7. Why do Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store?
8. What does Cornelius do to ensure he can get the time off work to go to New York?
9. What does Miss Van H. see as an ultimate act of cruelty?
10. Who builds up Cornelius to be a legend, confusing both Mrs. Malloy and Mr. Vandergelder? Why?
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Vandergelder is the central character in The Matchmaker. Citing examples from the text, examine this character.
1) How is Mr. Vandergelder described?
2) What do other characters say about Mr. Vandergelder?
3) What are some particular actions that help define Mr. Vandergelder?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the different philosophies held by Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Levi regarding money.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of The Matchmaker, the character Malachi is presented as a fool. What other, surprising role does Malachi play throughout the play?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)