|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Levi claims she will get what out of helping Ambrose and Ermengarde?
2. In Act 2, what purchase do Cornelius and Barnaby fake interest in?
3. What person do Cornelius and Mrs. Malloy have in common?
4. What is the code word for adventure?
5. According to Mrs. Levi, Mr. Vandergelder's should-be wife eats what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprising acts of kindness are demonstrated by Mr. Vandergelder at the end of Act 4?
2. What does Mrs. Malloy do at the restaurant that makes her feel young?
3. What does the money give Cornelius the courage to do?
4. Prior to Cornelius and Barnaby entering the hat shop, who does Mrs. Malloy claim and why?
5. Mrs. Levi tries to convince Ambrose to get Mr. Vandergelder's blessing. Why?
6. What set of young lovers is Mr. Vandergelder surprised to see at the restaurant and what is his reaction?
7. How does Mr. Vandergelder's disapproval affect the marriage of his niece?
8. What conversation between Minnie and Mrs. Malloy mirrors a conversation between Barnaby and Cornelius?
9. Why does Malachi give a purse of money to Cornelius?
10. What is Mr. Vandergelder's excuse for not promoting Cornelius to anything of significance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following characters and describe their physical appearance, relationship with others, and personal motivation.
- Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Vandergelder is looking for a wife in The Matchmaker. Compare and contrast the quality of relationship the following match would give him and why, based on examples from the text.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Malloy.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Miss Simple.
- Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationship between Mr. Vandergelder and one of the following characters in The Matchmaker.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)