|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, what purchase do Cornelius and Barnaby fake interest in?
2. How old does Mr. Vandergelder think Cornelius is?
3. How long has Cornelius worked for Mr. Vandergelder?
4. In Act 2, who claims to find Mr. Vandergelder unattractive?
5. What does Mrs. Levi suffer from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who builds up Cornelius to be a legend, confusing both Mrs. Malloy and Mr. Vandergelder? Why?
2. What confusion begins when Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store and lie?
3. Describe the character Ermengarde.
4. How does Cornelius plan to stay in the store without buying a hat?
5. What task does Mr. Vandergelder give Malachi to complete?
6. Why do Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store?
7. What worries Minnie about Mr. Vandergelder's potential marriage proposal?
8. Explain Mrs. Levi's request to Mr. Vandergelder, at the end of Act 1.
9. How does Mr. Vandergelder's disapproval affect the marriage of his niece?
10. How does Joe feel about Mr. Vandergelder? How do you know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Vandergelder goes to the hat shop because he is considering a proposal to Mrs. Malloy. What factors work to change his mind?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the different philosophies held by Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Levi regarding money.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of The Matchmaker, the character Malachi is presented as a fool. What other, surprising role does Malachi play throughout the play?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)