|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Levi suggests Mr. Vandergelder make Cornelius what?
2. According to Mrs. Levi, Mr. Vandergelder's should-be wife eats what?
3. What gift does Mr. Vandergelder give to Mrs. Malloy?
4. How does Mrs. Levi predict Mr. Vandergelder's life path?
5. In Act 1, whom does Mrs. Levi say she hoped Mr. Vandergelder would marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What confusion begins when Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store and lie?
2. Why does Mr. Vandergelder disapprove of his niece's suitor?
3. What does Cornelius do to ensure he can get the time off work to go to New York?
4. What task does Mr. Vandergelder give Malachi to complete?
5. Why is Mrs. Malloy annoyed by her reputation?
6. Describe the character Mrs. Levi.
7. Describe the character Ambrose.
8. How does Cornelius feel about Mrs. Malloy in Act 2? At what point is this revealed?
9. How does Cornelius plan to stay in the store without buying a hat?
10. How does Mrs. Malloy feel about being a milliner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Vandergelder goes to the hat shop because he is considering a proposal to Mrs. Malloy. What factors work to change his mind?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Vandergelder has a particular work ethic. Based on the text, describe it in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the Matchmaker? Cite examples from the text to support your theory.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)