|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Vandergelder enters Act 2 with whom?
2. What type of store does Mr. Vandergelder run?
3. Where does Cornelius sleep at night?
4. What type of hat does Cornelius wear in Act 2?
5. How does Mrs. Levi predict Mr. Vandergelder's life path?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mr. Vandergelder's philosophy on people in the world and what is his history with this diagnosis?
2. Prior to Cornelius and Barnaby entering the hat shop, who does Mrs. Malloy claim and why?
3. Describe the attire worn by Mr. Vandergelder to woo Mrs. Malloy, as well as the gift he brings for her.
4. Describe the character Malachi.
5. At what point does Cornelius admit he and Barnaby are having an adventure? How?
6. How does Joe feel about Mr. Vandergelder? How do you know?
7. Explain Mrs. Levi's request to Mr. Vandergelder, at the end of Act 1.
8. What is Mr. Vandergelder's excuse for not promoting Cornelius to anything of significance?
9. How does Mr. Vandergelder's disapproval affect the marriage of his niece?
10. Why does Mr. Vandergelder disapprove of his niece's suitor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The lost purse is a turning point in The Matchmaker. Explain how this lost purse creates a power shift and why.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the different philosophies held by Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Levi regarding money.
Essay Topic 3
Instead of exposing the fraud of Cornelius and Barnaby in Act 2, Mrs. Levi encourages it. Why does she do this?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)