|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Cornelius worked for Mr. Vandergelder?
2. What is the code word for adventure?
3. Mrs. Levi claims she will get what out of helping Ambrose and Ermengarde?
4. Who are Cornelius and Barnaby hiding from in Act 2?
5. In Act 2, who claims to find Mr. Vandergelder unattractive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character Malachi.
2. What does Cornelius do to ensure he can get the time off work to go to New York?
3. Why do Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store?
4. What big plans does Mr. Vandergelder have at the beginning of The Matchmaker?
5. How does Joe feel about Mr. Vandergelder? How do you know?
6. How does Mrs. Malloy feel about being a milliner?
7. What display of emotion is shown by Mrs. Malloy at the end of Act 2, and why?
8. How do Cornelius and Barnaby describe Mr. Vandergelder to Mrs. Malloy?
9. How does Mr. Vandergelder's disapproval affect the marriage of his niece?
10. What does Mrs. Malloy plan to say to Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Harmonia Gardens Restaurant. How does this setting add to the conflict in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the Matchmaker? Cite examples from the text to support your theory.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of The Matchmaker, the character Malachi is presented as a fool. What other, surprising role does Malachi play throughout the play?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)