|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, what type of outing are Cornelius and Barnaby on?
2. Where do Cornelius and Barnaby pretend to be from?
3. Mrs. Levi claims she will get what out of helping Ambrose and Ermengarde?
4. How much money does Cornelius have in Mr. Vandergelder's safe?
5. According to Mrs. Levi, Mr. Vandergelder's should-be bride's father is a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mr. Vandergelder's philosophy on people in the world and what is his history with this diagnosis?
2. Prior to Cornelius and Barnaby entering the hat shop, who does Mrs. Malloy claim and why?
3. Describe the attire worn by Mr. Vandergelder to woo Mrs. Malloy, as well as the gift he brings for her.
4. Describe the character Mrs. Levi.
5. Mrs. Levi tries to convince Ambrose to get Mr. Vandergelder's blessing. Why?
6. How does Joe feel about Mr. Vandergelder? How do you know?
7. How do Cornelius and Barnaby describe Mr. Vandergelder to Mrs. Malloy?
8. Why is Mrs. Malloy annoyed by her reputation?
9. What display of emotion is shown by Mrs. Malloy at the end of Act 2, and why?
10. How does Mr. Vandergelder's disapproval affect the marriage of his niece?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The lost purse is a turning point in The Matchmaker. Explain how this lost purse creates a power shift and why.
Essay Topic 2
Supporting characters help to move The Matchmaker forward. Choose from one of the following characters and analyze how the character helped to further the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Vandergelder has a particular work ethic. Based on the text, describe it in detail.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)