|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, what outsider finds Cornelius and Barnaby hiding?
2. Where does Mrs. Levi instruct Mr. Vandergelder to meet his should-be bride?
3. What does Mr. Vandergelder smoke at the beginning of the play?
4. Who claims she will marry Mr. Vandergelder, if asked?
5. Mrs. Levi suggests Mr. Vandergelder make Cornelius what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Malloy plan to say to Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal?
2. What has Mrs. Levi discovered about Mr. Vandergelder and what does she plan to do about it?
3. What is Mr. Vandergelder's philosophy on people in the world and what is his history with this diagnosis?
4. How does Mr. Vandergelder's disapproval affect the marriage of his niece?
5. Describe the character Malachi.
6. Describe the character Ambrose.
7. Mrs. Levi tries to convince Ambrose to get Mr. Vandergelder's blessing. Why?
8. Describe the character Mrs. Levi.
9. What conversation between Minnie and Mrs. Malloy mirrors a conversation between Barnaby and Cornelius?
10. Prior to Cornelius and Barnaby entering the hat shop, who does Mrs. Malloy claim and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Vandergelder has a particular work ethic. Based on the text, describe it in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Miss Van H. and her lot in life. Why is this significant to the conclusion of The Matchmaker?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the different philosophies held by Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Levi regarding money.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)