Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Levi says Mr. Vandergelder must do what by the end of the week?
2. How many entrances exist in Act 1?
3. What does Mrs. Levi suffer from?
4. According to Mrs. Malloy, marriage offers excellent _______.
5. Mrs. Levi claims she will get what out of helping Ambrose and Ermengarde?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprising acts of kindness are demonstrated by Mr. Vandergelder at the end of Act 4?
2. How does Cornelius feel about Mrs. Malloy in Act 2? At what point is this revealed?
3. What does Miss Van H. offer to do Barnaby to prevent him from getting cold in the bath and why is this comedic?
4. What worries Minnie about Mr. Vandergelder's potential marriage proposal?
5. Why does Mrs. Malloy hesitate to return Mr. Vandergelder's purse?
6. What does the money give Cornelius the courage to do?
7. Why are Cornelius and Barnaby delivered to Miss Van H.'s house?
8. At the restaurant, what surprises Mrs. Malloy about Millie?
9. Was Mrs. Levi successful in her schemes from the beginning of the play? Why or why not?
10. What does Mrs. Malloy plan to say to Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal?
At the beginning of the play, Mr. Vandergelder is seen as all powerful, controlling many of the characters' lives. Citing examples from the text, examine how Mr. Vandergelder's hold over the characters lessens throughout The Matchmaker and why.
The interaction of the characters is a major part in the resolution of the play. Analyze how and why all of the characters are brought together in Act 4 and the resulting conclusion of this meeting.
Analyze Miss Van H. and her lot in life. Why is this significant to the conclusion of The Matchmaker?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)