|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Cornelius hold?
2. What does Mrs. Levi accidentally give to Ambrose?
3. According to legend, what did the Hackls build?
4. How does Mrs. Levi predict Mr. Vandergelder's life path?
5. What does Mr. Vandergelder smoke at the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mrs. Levi tries to convince Ambrose to get Mr. Vandergelder's blessing. Why?
2. How does Cornelius plan to stay in the store without buying a hat?
3. How does Cornelius feel about Mrs. Malloy in Act 2? At what point is this revealed?
4. Describe the character Ermengarde.
5. What has Mrs. Levi discovered about Mr. Vandergelder and what does she plan to do about it?
6. How do Cornelius and Barnaby describe Mr. Vandergelder to Mrs. Malloy?
7. Describe the character Ambrose.
8. Why do Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store?
9. What conversation between Minnie and Mrs. Malloy mirrors a conversation between Barnaby and Cornelius?
10. What does Mrs. Malloy plan to say to Mr. Vandergelder's marriage proposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between Mr. Vandergelder and one of the following characters in The Matchmaker.
Essay Topic 2
There are many characters in The Matchmaker who are not happy with their lot in life. Select one of the following characters and examine what the character is missing in life and why.
- Mrs. Malloy.
- Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of The Matchmaker, the character Malachi is presented as a fool. What other, surprising role does Malachi play throughout the play?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)