|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Levi suffer from?
2. What does Cornelius hope to do to Mrs. Malloy?
3. Where does Act 1 take place?
4. Mrs. Levi says Mr. Vandergelder must do what by the end of the week?
5. Mr. Vandergelder enters Act 2 with whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cornelius do to ensure he can get the time off work to go to New York?
2. What has Mrs. Levi discovered about Mr. Vandergelder and what does she plan to do about it?
3. Describe the character Mrs. Levi.
4. Why do Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store?
5. What worries Minnie about Mr. Vandergelder's potential marriage proposal?
6. What is Mr. Vandergelder's excuse for not promoting Cornelius to anything of significance?
7. Describe the attire worn by Mr. Vandergelder to woo Mrs. Malloy, as well as the gift he brings for her.
8. What does Mrs. Malloy tell Minnie the best part of marriage is?
9. How do Cornelius and Barnaby describe Mr. Vandergelder to Mrs. Malloy?
10. Prior to Cornelius and Barnaby entering the hat shop, who does Mrs. Malloy claim and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the different philosophies held by Mr. Vandergelder and Mrs. Levi regarding money.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Harmonia Gardens Restaurant. How does this setting add to the conflict in the play?
Essay Topic 3
The desire for adventure is something that motivates several characters in The Matchmaker. Identify several actions in the play where this desire for adventure caused a character to act in a way that was outside of their typical routine.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)