|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Malloy's marriage status?
2. What does Mrs. Levi suffer from?
3. In Act 2, who claims to find Mr. Vandergelder unattractive?
4. What is the code word for adventure?
5. Who claims she will marry Mr. Vandergelder, if asked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Mrs. Levi discovered about Mr. Vandergelder and what does she plan to do about it?
2. Why do Cornelius and Barnaby enter the hat store?
3. How does Joe feel about Mr. Vandergelder? How do you know?
4. What does Cornelius do to ensure he can get the time off work to go to New York?
5. Describe the attire worn by Mr. Vandergelder to woo Mrs. Malloy, as well as the gift he brings for her.
6. Prior to Cornelius and Barnaby entering the hat shop, who does Mrs. Malloy claim and why?
7. At the beginning of The Matchmaker, what is the relationship between Cornelius and Mr. Vandergelder?
8. What display of emotion is shown by Mrs. Malloy at the end of Act 2, and why?
9. What conversation between Minnie and Mrs. Malloy mirrors a conversation between Barnaby and Cornelius?
10. Describe the character Ermengarde.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following characters and describe their physical appearance, relationship with others, and personal motivation.
- Mrs. Levi.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Miss Van H. and her lot in life. Why is this significant to the conclusion of The Matchmaker?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Harmonia Gardens Restaurant. How does this setting add to the conflict in the play?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)