|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cassia feel that she should not be matched with Xander?
2. Cassia talks to her mother about love but does not tell her about __________________.
3. Why are the Officials collecting artifacts?
4. What does Cassia tell Ky that she thought about during her Match Banquet?
5. Why can Ky not be Matched?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Cassia and her family warned about their behavior with the cutting of the maple trees?
2. What does Cassia learn about the value of words in keeping a person alive?
3. Why does Cassia have such a connection with nature?
4. What is depicted on the napkin that Ky gives to Cassia?
5. What artifact does Ky give to Cassia when she thought he would be returning her compact?
6. What does Ky give to Cassia after they kiss on top of the hill?
7. Why does Cassia think that she shouldn't be Matched to Xander?
8. What very difficult sorting decision does Cassia make regarding Ky and his workplace?
9. What gift does Ky give to Cassia and why does she withhold her feelings from him?
10. What is Society doing in the middle of the night that Cassia's mother considers to be a warning for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Enforced compliance takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of forced compliance in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Cassia learns from Ky? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Cassia always recall about her time with Ky?
Essay Topic 3
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)