|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the package waiting for Cassia at home?
2. Cassia and Ky will commit an Infraction if they ___________________.
3. If Cassia sorts the person in #132 into the higher group which means _________________________.
4. What are Cassia and Ky doing when they get a chance to talk privately?
5. What does Ky whisper to Cassia as they head to the trains after hiking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cassia have such a connection with nature?
2. What very difficult sorting decision does Cassia make regarding Ky and his workplace?
3. What does Ky give to Cassia after they kiss on top of the hill?
4. What gift does Ky give to Cassia and why does she withhold her feelings from him?
5. How does the Official subtly blackmail Cassia regarding her sorting work and the choices she makes?
6. How does Cassia realize that she and her mother are alike?
7. In what ways are Cassia and her mother alike?
8. What is depicted on the napkin that Ky gives to Cassia?
9. What is the Prisoner's Dilemma and how does it relate to Cassia and Ky?
10. What artifact does Ky give to Cassia when she thought he would be returning her compact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in MATCHED. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply MATCHED? What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)