|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange thing does Cassia note that Ky is doing?
2. Ky tells Cassia that the voices they hear in their hundred songs are ____________________ voices.
3. Cassia's mother had been on a trip on which she had to write people up for ______________________.
4. Why can Ky not be Matched?
5. Whom/What does Cassia recognize in the latest drawing given to her by Ky?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ky tell Cassia that he is and how does she feel about it?
2. What gift does Ky give to Cassia and why does she withhold her feelings from him?
3. What does Ky mean when he tells Cassia they are running out of time and how does he feel about the decision Cassia made for him at his workplace?
4. Why does Cassia think that she shouldn't be Matched to Xander?
5. What is the Prisoner's Dilemma and how does it relate to Cassia and Ky?
6. What artifact does Ky give to Cassia when she thought he would be returning her compact?
7. Describe how the connection between Cassia and Ky develops.
8. How does Cassia realize that she and her mother are alike?
9. Why does Cassia hold back from telling Ky that she saw his face on the screen at her Match Banquet?
10. How does the Official subtly blackmail Cassia regarding her sorting work and the choices she makes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Ky. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply MATCHED? What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Xander and Ky. Both young men are trying to carve out new lives but seem to have different methods and goals. How are Xander and Ky alike? How are they different? On what things do they agree? What is the thing that threatens to separate them? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)