|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the worker who stands in the middle of those who will remain and those to be relocated?
2. Why does Cassia feel that she should not be matched with Xander?
3. Ky tells Cassia that he knows his data was interfered with and he knows that _______________________.
4. What artifact did Bram give up to the Officials?
5. What does Cassia tell Ky that she thought about during her Match Banquet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret activity does Cassia ask Ky to teach her?
2. What gift does Ky give to Cassia and why does she withhold her feelings from him?
3. In what ways are Cassia and her mother alike?
4. What is depicted on the napkin that Ky gives to Cassia?
5. Why does Ky teach Cassia to write her name?
6. What does Cassia learn about the value of words in keeping a person alive?
7. How does the Official subtly blackmail Cassia regarding her sorting work and the choices she makes?
8. What does the Official warn Cassia might happen to Ky if they maintain their relationship?
9. What is the Prisoner's Dilemma and how does it relate to Cassia and Ky?
10. How are Cassia and her family warned about their behavior with the cutting of the maple trees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Ally Condie is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)