|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does KY NOT mean when he says they are running out of time?
2. At the Game Center, Xander challenges Ky to ____________________.
3. Cassia and her mother are alike in that they ______________________________.
4. What does Cassia notice when she is out to dinner with Xander?
5. What do the Officials tell Cassia in the supervisor's office at work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Cassia and her family warned about their behavior with the cutting of the maple trees?
2. What is depicted on the napkin that Ky gives to Cassia?
3. What is the first word that Ky teaches Cassia to write?
4. Describe how the connection between Cassia and Ky develops.
5. What artifact does Ky give to Cassia when she thought he would be returning her compact?
6. What does Ky tell Cassia that he is and how does she feel about it?
7. Why does Ky teach Cassia to write her name?
8. Why does Society not want Cassia to be with Ky and what is Cassia's opinion of that?
9. How does Cassia realize that she and her mother are alike?
10. What does Ky give to Cassia after they kiss on top of the hill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Cassia's life. Where will she be living? Who will be present in her life? To whom will she be Matched? What will her thoughts about Society be at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Ally Condie is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of rebellion. Identify at least two instances about rebellion in the book. Then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)