|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ky asks Cassia when she first noticed him and she tells him it was _______________________.
2. Cassia and Xander see the Officials going house-to-house _______________________.
3. Whom/What does Cassia recognize in the latest drawing given to her by Ky?
4. What message does Cassia receive on the port in her Language and Literacy class?
5. Where do Ky and Cassia kiss for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cassia realize that she and her mother are alike?
2. What does the Official warn Cassia might happen to Ky if they maintain their relationship?
3. What gift does Ky give to Cassia and why does she withhold her feelings from him?
4. Why does Society not want Cassia to be with Ky and what is Cassia's opinion of that?
5. Why does Cassia hold back from telling Ky that she saw his face on the screen at her Match Banquet?
6. What does Ky mean when he tells Cassia they are running out of time and how does he feel about the decision Cassia made for him at his workplace?
7. Why does Cassia have such a connection with nature?
8. What secret activity does Cassia ask Ky to teach her?
9. What is depicted on the napkin that Ky gives to Cassia?
10. What does Ky give to Cassia after they kiss on top of the hill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coming of age is an important theme in MATCHED. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Cassia's life. Where will she be living? Who will be present in her life? To whom will she be Matched? What will her thoughts about Society be at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Xander and Ky. Both young men are trying to carve out new lives but seem to have different methods and goals. How are Xander and Ky alike? How are they different? On what things do they agree? What is the thing that threatens to separate them? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)