|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The night after the Officials have come to Cassia's job, she dreams about ________________.
2. What does Cassia do when she sees Ky crying?
3. The youth are rewarded with ________________ at the picnic.
4. What is contained in the gold box given to Grandfather at his Final Banquet?
5. Who defines rules and events in Cassia's world?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Cassia especially pleased with the Matching Banquet she and Xander are attending?
2. What role did Grandfather play in Cassia's life?
3. How are Cassia and her father alike in that they both destroyed part of Grandfather?
4. Explain Grandfather's Final Banquet.
5. Why can't Cassia get more information about Ky?
6. Explain how the Matching ceremony takes place.
7. What is the importance of the Matching system?
8. Why are the Officials searching Cassia's house after Grandfather is gone?
9. What are the artifacts that Cassia and Xander carry with them at the beginning of the book?
10. When does Cassia wonder if her Match should really be Ky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Cassia's relationship with her mother. How do Cassia and her mother both have to make hard decisions that affect people's lives? On what do they base these choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Grandfather. What is his role in the novel? What was the author trying to accomplish by introducing Grandfather's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)