|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At work, Cassia learns that she is going to get a/an _________________________ soon.
2. What new activity does Xander tell Cassia about?
3. While working in the gardens, Cassia is reminded of the stories her mother told her about ________________ when she was young.
4. What does Cassia do when she sees Ky crying?
5. How many emergency tablets does Cassia carry with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the Matching system?
2. Why is Cassia especially pleased with the Matching Banquet she and Xander are attending?
3. How are Cassia and her father alike in that they both destroyed part of Grandfather?
4. What is the premise of "Matched"?
5. What are the artifacts that Cassia and Xander carry with them at the beginning of the book?
6. How are the red pills used as foreshadowing in the story?
7. When does Cassia wonder if her Match should really be Ky?
8. Why does Cassia resist taking her green pills?
9. How does Cassia feel about her Match and the image of someone else's face on her micro card?
10. What is no longer possible now that Grandfather's tissue samples have been lost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Xander and Ky. Both young men are trying to carve out new lives but seem to have different methods and goals. How are Xander and Ky alike? How are they different? On what things do they agree? What is the thing that threatens to separate them? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
Coming of age is an important theme in MATCHED. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)