|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color gown does Cassia choose for the Match ceremony?
2. What does Cassia's father say when she tells him why she was at the library?
3. What does Cassia want to research when the weather is too bad to hike?
4. Cassia is to be Matched on her _____________ birthday.
5. What special gift does Cassia bring to Grandfather at his Final Banquet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is no longer possible now that Grandfather's tissue samples have been lost?
2. What is Cassia's special talent in the Society?
3. How are the red pills used as foreshadowing in the story?
4. What does Cassia realize about Grandfather's risky words that he passed on to her on a paper?
5. Why does Cassia resist taking her green pills?
6. What outdoor activity is Cassia excited to undertake based on stories about nature that her family has told her?
7. What role did Grandfather play in Cassia's life?
8. Why is Cassia especially pleased with the Matching Banquet she and Xander are attending?
9. How does Cassia feel about her Match and the image of someone else's face on her micro card?
10. What are the artifacts that Cassia and Xander carry with them at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coming of age is an important theme in MATCHED. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Xander and Ky. Both young men are trying to carve out new lives but seem to have different methods and goals. How are Xander and Ky alike? How are they different? On what things do they agree? What is the thing that threatens to separate them? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of rebellion. Identify at least two instances about rebellion in the book. Then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)