|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What artifact has Cassia's grandfather given her for her birthday?
2. On what day do the young people have a recreation option?
3. Cassia is with a group of students at the Arboretum and they are the first group allowed to try the new activity of _____________ in many years.
4. What artifact does Xander have?
5. Why does Cassia offer to Em to use at her Match Banquet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Cassia and her father alike in that they both destroyed part of Grandfather?
2. Where does Cassia decide to get rid of Grandfather's paper and why is it so risky?
3. What is the premise of "Matched"?
4. Why is Cassia especially pleased with the Matching Banquet she and Xander are attending?
5. What does Cassia feel about her father's destruction of Grandfather's tissue samples?
6. What does Cassia realize about Grandfather's risky words that he passed on to her on a paper?
7. How is Cassia's ordered world thrown off when she looks at her micro card to learn more about Xander?
8. Why are the Officials searching Cassia's house after Grandfather is gone?
9. What is no longer possible now that Grandfather's tissue samples have been lost?
10. What are the artifacts that Cassia and Xander carry with them at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ally Condie is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Cassia's life. Where will she be living? Who will be present in her life? To whom will she be Matched? What will her thoughts about Society be at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply MATCHED? What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)