|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says Sharon is too sensitive for such a tough business?
2. What prop does Maria say Sharon should have to sing her aria?
3. In Act II, what does Maria say is the worst part of being a teacher?
4. How long does Maria say it took her to become Queen of La Scala?
5. Who says that people think she has no emotions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Maria's philosophy about having presence, a signature or a look. What criticism does she have of the other characters' lack of a look?' Can you tell what kind of presence she has? Provide a few examples to explain your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Maria's memories give background to help us understand her life and career. Which memory do you find most helpful in understanding Maria?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Maria's enthusiasm for winning over an audience. Using a memory of one of her performances, discuss how and when she knows she has won.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)