|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Maria compared with when she becomes thin?
2. Who is the conductor of the symphony when Maria made her debut?
3. In Act II, what does Maria say is the worst part of being a teacher?
4. What does Maria say a performance is?
5. Who says that the life of a singer is a difficult one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Manny. Besides playing the piano, what other functions does he serve in the play? Use one or two textual examples to explain his significance.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Maria's interaction with the audience in the play. In what way does she criticize them? How does she talk with them casually about the students?
Essay Topic 3
Sophie says, "I'm not that kind of person" when Maria asks her to be dramatic and give her singing some emotion. How is this evidence that Sophie does not have that "something special" that Maria feels is required of truly great singers?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)