|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maria's response to Sharon's reappearance?
2. What aria does the audience hear Maria singing in Act II?
3. Who is Battista Meneghini?
4. What happens with the house lights at the beginning of Act II?
5. What prop does Maria say Sharon should have to sing her aria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sharon criticizes Maria for her poor teaching. Do you agree or disagree with her? Provide textual examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Sophie says, "I'm not that kind of person" when Maria asks her to be dramatic and give her singing some emotion. How is this evidence that Sophie does not have that "something special" that Maria feels is required of truly great singers?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Maria's interaction with the audience in the play. In what way does she criticize them? How does she talk with them casually about the students?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)