|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maria tells the audience it's not a performance but a:
(a) Group activity.
2. Who drops to her knees and sings part of La Sonnambula?
3. What didn't Maria have as she walked back and forth to the conservatory during World War II?
(b) A good attitude.
(d) Proper shoes.
4. What does Manny adjust at the beginning of Act I?
(a) Piano bench.
5. What does Maria tell the audience they should not do during Act I?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Maria's singing teacher encourage in her?
2. What is the relationship between Maria and Aristotle Onassis?
3. What does Maria say about her accompanist's appearance?
4. What is La Scala?
5. What nickname does Onassis have for Maria?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maria tell Sharon about applause toward the end of Act II?
2. What does Maria do when Sophie cannot translate the Italian verse?
3. Give two examples of how Maria tries to heighten Sharon's emotional response to the Verdi opera.
4. What direction does Maria give Sharon while Sharon is singing?
5. How does Maria feel about leaving Battista?
6. How does the audience learn of Onassis' reaction to Maria's pregnancy?
7. What does Maria tell Sophie at the end of Act I about her performance?
8. What does Maria do when Sharon does not return to the stage?
9. As a teacher, what does Maria want as compensation for her efforts?
10. How did Maria defy all odds to become a famous operatic singer?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)