|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maria tell the audience about Sophie?
(a) That she likes her appearance.
(b) That she has good musical range.
(c) That she does not have style.
(d) That she will be a great performer.
2. What didn't Maria have as she walked back and forth to the conservatory during World War II?
(a) Proper shoes.
(d) A good attitude.
3. How many students perform for Maria in Act I?
4. What does Maria call her first student?
(a) Great singer.
(c) Musically gifted.
5. Who brought class and respectability to Onassis?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie announce she will sing in Act I?
2. Who returns her music score to Sophie in Act I?
3. Who is startled by Sophie's lack of knowledge?
4. What does Maria tell Sophie to do before she sings?
5. Who can only sing one note before being interrupted by Maria in Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the positive comments that Maria gives Sharon about her singing?
2. What is Maria's philosophy about the relationship between artist and audience?
3. As a teacher, what does Maria want as compensation for her efforts?
4. How does Maria respond to Onassis' advice on what to do next after she loses her child?
5. How did Maria defy all odds to become a famous operatic singer?
6. Why does Sharon return to the stage after Tony has sung?
7. What does Maria say about the appearance of Manny, her accompanist?
8. Describe Maria's criticism of Sharon's clothing choice.
9. What direction does Maria give Sharon while Sharon is singing?
10. Describe the setting of the stage for Act II.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)