|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maria say about singing at the beginning of Act I?
(a) It is serious business.
(b) She was never disciplined about her studies.
(c) It is not enough for a life.
(d) She's scared of it.
2. Who does Sophie admire?
(b) Stage hand.
3. What didn't Maria have as she walked back and forth to the conservatory during World War II?
(b) A good attitude.
(d) Proper shoes.
4. In Act I, what does Maria say Onassis wants her to do?
(a) Learn to act.
(b) Become a famous cellist.
(c) Stop performing and have his baby.
(d) Sing more often.
5. Who says "know your limitations" in Act I?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria say to Sophie before she leaves the stage in Act I?
2. How does Maria describe herself physically as a young student?
3. How many students perform for Maria in Act I?
4. What does Maria say about discipline and courage in Act I?
5. What criticism does Maria give Sophie about her singing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maria's appearance when she first comes on stage.
2. Describe Maria's final words of wisdom in the master class.
3. Describe Maria's criticism of Sharon's clothing choice.
4. How did Maria learn to be disciplined about music during the war?
5. How does Maria describe the experience of performing in front of the world's dignitaries at La Scala?
6. Describe the setting of the stage for Act II.
7. Describe what Maria teaches Tony while he is singing the aria from Tosca.
8. What does Maria find most alarming about Sophie's lack of musical knowledge?
9. Describe Maria's entrance onto the stage at the beginning of Act II.
10. In Act II, when Maria hears the recording of her own performance of Lady Macbeth's Letter Scene, what is she saying to herself as she reads the letter?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)