|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sophie announce she will sing in Act I?
(a) Music from La Boheme.
(c) Country music.
(d) Aria from La Sonnambula.
2. What is the relationship between Maria and Aristotle Onassis?
(a) Business associates.
(b) Pen pals.
3. Who are the last actors to leave the stage in Act I?
(a) Maria and Sophie.
(b) Sophie and Tony.
(c) Manny and Maria.
(d) Sophie and Manny.
4. What did Maria's singing teacher encourage in her?
(b) Stage presence.
(d) Long breaks from classes.
5. What does Maria call her first student?
(a) Great singer.
(b) Musically gifted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says "know your limitations" in Act I?
2. What does Maria say to Sophie before she leaves the stage in Act I?
3. What range does Sophie sing?
4. What is Manny's job?
5. What is Onassis' business?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sophie's expectations from the master class after she has sung her aria and Maria leaves the stage.
2. What direction does Maria give Sharon while Sharon is singing?
3. What does Maria do when Sharon does not return to the stage?
4. What happens when Maria leaves the stage to show Sharon how to make an entrance?
5. Describe Sharon Graham.
6. Give two examples of how Maria tries to heighten Sharon's emotional response to the Verdi opera.
7. What does Maria do when Sophie cannot translate the Italian verse?
8. Describe Lady Macbeth and the stage direction for Verdi's Letter Scene.
9. What does Maria tell Sharon about applause toward the end of Act II?
10. In what way is Maria critical of Sharon's singing ability?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)