|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maria tell the audience about Sophie?
(a) That she likes her appearance.
(b) That she has good musical range.
(c) That she will be a great performer.
(d) That she does not have style.
2. Who walks to the edge of the stage in the beginning of Act I?
(a) Stage hand.
(c) Audience member.
3. What is Maria Callas' passion?
(c) Greek food.
4. Why does Maria ask for the house lights to go off during Act I?
(a) They are too harsh for the students.
(b) She forgot why they were on.
(c) She doesn't want to be seen.
(d) She likes to save energy.
5. What is Manny's job?
(a) Stage hand.
(b) Music teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who can only sing one note before being interrupted by Maria in Act I?
2. How many acts are there in the play Master Class?
3. What does Manny adjust at the beginning of Act I?
4. What is the relationship between Maria and Aristotle Onassis?
5. Who is Rosa Ponselled, Giudetta Pasta, Lotte Lehmann and Zinka Milanov?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maria feel about leaving Battista?
2. Describe two examples of Maria's diva behavior in Act I.
3. Describe Sophie's expectations from the master class after she has sung her aria and Maria leaves the stage.
4. Describe Maria's entrance onto the stage at the beginning of Act II.
5. What does Maria say about the appearance of Manny, her accompanist?
6. What happened during Maria's last performance at La Scala?
7. What does Maria do when Sharon does not return to the stage?
8. What lesson does Maria teach Sharon about making an entrance?
9. How does Maria express her sadness at losing her child?
10. What does Maria do when Sophie cannot translate the Italian verse?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)