|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose nickname is La Divina?
2. Who says, "She's wearing so many diamonds she can scarcely move her arms..."?
3. Maria tells the audience it's not a performance but a:
(b) Group activity.
4. Who drops to her knees and sings part of La Sonnambula?
5. What does Maria tell the audience about Sophie?
(a) That she will be a great performer.
(b) That she has good musical range.
(c) That she does not have style.
(d) That she likes her appearance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which prop does Maria complain is missing when Sophie comes on stage?
2. Who is Sophie de Palma?
3. Who could not afford to buy oranges during the war?
4. Who walks to the edge of the stage in the beginning of Act I?
5. Who is startled by Sophie's lack of knowledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What good news does Maria tell Onassis in Act II?
2. Describe Sophie's expectations from the master class after she has sung her aria and Maria leaves the stage.
3. Why does Sharon return to the stage after Tony has sung?
4. In what way is Maria critical of Sharon's singing ability?
5. How does Maria say she felt during her great performances?
6. How does Maria feel about leaving Battista?
7. While she's waiting for Sharon to make a final entrance, in what way does Maria engage with the audience?
8. What did one student do out of admiration of Maria's singing at the height of her career?
9. Describe what Maria teaches Tony while he is singing the aria from Tosca.
10. What is Maria's definition of that "something special" a singer has that sets her off from the crowd?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)