|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Rosa Ponselled, Giudetta Pasta, Lotte Lehmann and Zinka Milanov?
(a) Neighbors of Maria's.
(b) World's great sopranos.
(c) Juilliard adminstrators.
(d) Sophie's former teachers.
2. Who is dressed in a custom pantsuit and expensive accessories?
(d) Stage hand.
3. What is Maria Callas' passion?
(b) Greek food.
4. What role did Maria lose to another student when she was young?
5. What criticism does Maria give Sophie about her singing?
(a) That she doesn't like her shoes.
(b) That she doesn't fully feel the music.
(c) That she is too flamboyant for the stage.
(d) That her voice is too high.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who returns her music score to Sophie in Act I?
2. What didn't Maria have as she walked back and forth to the conservatory during World War II?
3. How many acts are there in the play Master Class?
4. Whose nickname is La Divina?
5. What range does Sophie sing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did one student do out of admiration of Maria's singing at the height of her career?
2. Why does Maria think it's funny that Aristotle Onassis did not like opera?
3. What happens when Maria leaves the stage to show Sharon how to make an entrance?
4. As a teacher, what does Maria want as compensation for her efforts?
5. What advice does Maria give to Sharon about her performance even before she begins to sing?
6. What are the positive comments that Maria gives Sharon about her singing?
7. In what way is Maria critical of Sophie even before she begins to sing?
8. Describe Maria's appearance when she first comes on stage.
9. What does Maria tell Sophie at the end of Act I about her performance?
10. Give two examples of how Maria tries to heighten Sharon's emotional response to the Verdi opera.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)