|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Manny adjust at the beginning of Act I?
(a) Piano bench.
2. When does Manny appear on stage in Act I?
(b) After Maria.
(c) After Sophie.
3. What does Maria say to Sophie before she leaves the stage in Act I?
(a) Much better.
(b) Excuse me, I'm ill.
(c) See you tomorrow.
(d) Good-bye forever.
4. Who brought class and respectability to Onassis?
5. What does Maria say about projection in Act I?
(a) It's over-valued.
(b) She hates to project.
(c) It has no value.
(d) It's important to singing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is dressed in a custom pantsuit and expensive accessories?
2. Why does Maria ask for the house lights to go off during Act I?
3. Who could not afford to buy oranges during the war?
4. Maria tells the audience it's not a performance but a:
5. Who can only sing one note before being interrupted by Maria in Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maria's entrance onto the stage at the beginning of Act II.
2. In Act II, when Maria hears the recording of her own performance of Lady Macbeth's Letter Scene, what is she saying to herself as she reads the letter?
3. What is Maria's philosophy about the relationship between artist and audience?
4. What does Maria find most alarming about Sophie's lack of musical knowledge?
5. What direction does Maria give Sharon while Sharon is singing?
6. What does Maria do when Sharon does not return to the stage?
7. What happens when Maria leaves the stage to show Sharon how to make an entrance?
8. What does Maria tell Sharon about applause toward the end of Act II?
9. How does the audience learn of Onassis' reaction to Maria's pregnancy?
10. While she's waiting for Sharon to make a final entrance, in what way does Maria engage with the audience?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)