|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many students perform for Maria in Act I?
2. In Act I, what does Maria say Onassis wants her to do?
(a) Learn to act.
(b) Sing more often.
(c) Stop performing and have his baby.
(d) Become a famous cellist.
3. What does Maria say about projection in Act I?
(a) It's important to singing.
(b) She hates to project.
(c) It has no value.
(d) It's over-valued.
4. What does Maria request during Act I from the stage hand?
(b) Water, cushion, footstool.
(c) Bagel and cream cheese.
(d) Nail filer.
5. Who is Rosa Ponselled, Giudetta Pasta, Lotte Lehmann and Zinka Milanov?
(a) World's great sopranos.
(b) Neighbors of Maria's.
(c) Juilliard adminstrators.
(d) Sophie's former teachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manny adjust at the beginning of Act I?
2. What does Maria tell Manny about her sense of humor?
3. Why does Maria ask for the house lights to go off during Act I?
4. What is the name of Maria's singing teacher?
5. Who are the last actors to leave the stage in Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maria describe the experience of performing in front of the world's dignitaries at La Scala?
2. Give two examples of how Maria tries to heighten Sharon's emotional response to the Verdi opera.
3. In what way is Maria critical of Sophie even before she begins to sing?
4. How does Maria express her sadness at losing her child?
5. Describe Maria's appearance when she first comes on stage.
6. What interruptions occur when Sophie prepares to sing?
7. Describe the setting of the stage for Act II.
8. What does Maria tell Sophie at the end of Act I about her performance?
9. What does being called "La Divina" mean to Maria?
10. What does Maria find most alarming about Sophie's lack of musical knowledge?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)