|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maria imitate about Onassis?
(a) His sense of humor.
(b) His vulgar speech and crude attitude.
(c) His good manners.
(d) His singing.
2. What does Maria ask Sophie to translate after interrupting her aria?
(a) Have some water.
(b) Breathe into a bag.
(c) The Italian verse.
3. What criticism does Maria give Sophie about her singing?
(a) That she is too flamboyant for the stage.
(b) That her voice is too high.
(c) That she doesn't fully feel the music.
(d) That she doesn't like her shoes.
4. Why does Maria ask for the house lights to go off during Act I?
(a) She forgot why they were on.
(b) She likes to save energy.
(c) She doesn't want to be seen.
(d) They are too harsh for the students.
5. Who brings a cushion for Maria's chair?
(a) Stage hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is Onassis from?
2. Who walks to the edge of the stage in the beginning of Act I?
3. What does Maria tell Manny about her sense of humor?
4. Who brought class and respectability to Onassis?
5. Who does Manny acknowledge in the audience?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maria mean when she says, "Ah, Verdi! Ah, Shakespeare! Ah, my own ambition!"?
2. Why does Maria think others are jealous of her?
3. What lesson does Maria teach Sharon about making an entrance?
4. In Act II, when Maria hears the recording of her own performance of Lady Macbeth's Letter Scene, what is she saying to herself as she reads the letter?
5. How does Maria express her sadness at losing her child?
6. Describe Tony's character.
7. Describe Sharon Graham.
8. Describe the setting of the stage for Act II.
9. What direction does Maria give Sharon while Sharon is singing?
10. Why does Maria think it's funny that Aristotle Onassis did not like opera?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)