|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Manny adjust at the beginning of Act I?
(d) Piano bench.
2. Who is startled by Sophie's lack of knowledge?
(a) Stage hand.
3. What does Maria request during Act I from the stage hand?
(a) Water, cushion, footstool.
(c) Nail filer.
(d) Bagel and cream cheese.
4. In Act I, who does Maria remember performing for at La Scala?
(a) School children.
(b) Her teachers.
(c) Famous dignitaries.
(d) Other students.
5. How many acts are there in the play Master Class?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Manny appear on stage in Act I?
2. Who is dressed in a custom pantsuit and expensive accessories?
3. Whose nickname is La Divina?
4. What does Maria ask Sophie to translate after interrupting her aria?
5. What country is Onassis from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did one student do out of admiration of Maria's singing at the height of her career?
2. Describe two examples of Maria's diva behavior in Act I.
3. What is Maria's philosophy about the relationship between artist and audience?
4. Describe how Sharon insults Maria after she's been criticized.
5. In what way is Maria critical of Sophie even before she begins to sing?
6. What story does Maria tell when Sophie cannot produce a pencil to take notes on the score?
7. Describe Lady Macbeth and the stage direction for Verdi's Letter Scene.
8. Describe Sophie's expectations from the master class after she has sung her aria and Maria leaves the stage.
9. Describe the setting of the stage for Act II.
10. In what ways does Maria engage with the audience at the beginning of the play?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)