|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Rosa Ponselled, Giudetta Pasta, Lotte Lehmann and Zinka Milanov?
(a) Juilliard adminstrators.
(b) Sophie's former teachers.
(c) Neighbors of Maria's.
(d) World's great sopranos.
2. Why does Maria ask for the house lights to go off during Act I?
(a) She doesn't want to be seen.
(b) She forgot why they were on.
(c) She likes to save energy.
(d) They are too harsh for the students.
3. Who drops to her knees and sings part of La Sonnambula?
4. What did Maria's singing teacher encourage in her?
(b) Long breaks from classes.
(d) Stage presence.
5. Who could not afford to buy oranges during the war?
(b) Stage hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria tell the audience they should not do during Act I?
2. How many students perform for Maria in Act I?
3. Who are the last actors to leave the stage in Act I?
4. Which prop does Maria complain is missing when Sophie comes on stage?
5. What does Maria tell the audience about Sophie?
Short Essay Questions
1. While she's waiting for Sharon to make a final entrance, in what way does Maria engage with the audience?
2. What is Sharon's reaction to Maria's criticism of her singing?
3. Why does Sharon return to the stage after Tony has sung?
4. Give two examples of how Maria tries to heighten Sharon's emotional response to the Verdi opera.
5. What is Maria's response to Sharon's criticisms?
6. What are the positive comments that Maria gives Sharon about her singing?
7. What good news does Maria tell Onassis in Act II?
8. Describe Maria's entrance onto the stage at the beginning of Act II.
9. What skill does Maria emphasize to Sophie in her master class?
10. How does Maria respond to Onassis' advice on what to do next after she loses her child?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)