|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Onassis' business?
(a) Wine seller.
(c) Shipping magnate.
2. How many acts are there in the play Master Class?
3. Who brought class and respectability to Onassis?
4. What does Maria ask Sophie to translate after interrupting her aria?
(b) Breathe into a bag.
(c) Have some water.
(d) The Italian verse.
5. What does Sophie announce she will sing in Act I?
(a) Music from La Boheme.
(c) Aria from La Sonnambula.
(d) Country music.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rosa Ponselled, Giudetta Pasta, Lotte Lehmann and Zinka Milanov?
2. Who brings a cushion for Maria's chair?
3. What does Manny adjust at the beginning of Act I?
4. Who says, "She's wearing so many diamonds she can scarcely move her arms..."?
5. Who says "know your limitations" in Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. While she's waiting for Sharon to make a final entrance, in what way does Maria engage with the audience?
2. How does Sophie respond when Maria criticizes her lack of emotion as a performer?
3. In Act II, when Maria hears the recording of her own performance of Lady Macbeth's Letter Scene, what is she saying to herself as she reads the letter?
4. Why does Maria think others are jealous of her?
5. In what way is Maria critical of Sophie even before she begins to sing?
6. Describe Sophie's expectations from the master class after she has sung her aria and Maria leaves the stage.
7. What happened during Maria's last performance at La Scala?
8. Give two examples of how Maria tries to heighten Sharon's emotional response to the Verdi opera.
9. In what way is Maria critical of Sharon's singing ability?
10. What does Maria tell Sharon about applause toward the end of Act II?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)