|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Sophie de Palma?
(a) Maria's student.
(b) Maria's sister.
(c) Maria's daughter.
(d) Manny's girlfriend.
2. Which prop does Maria complain is missing when Sophie comes on stage?
(b) Her lunch.
(c) Her favorite sweater.
(d) Her purse.
3. What is Manny's job?
(a) Stage hand.
(c) Music teacher.
4. What does Manny adjust at the beginning of Act I?
(c) Piano bench.
5. What criticism does Maria give Sophie about her singing?
(a) That her voice is too high.
(b) That she doesn't fully feel the music.
(c) That she is too flamboyant for the stage.
(d) That she doesn't like her shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria Callas teach?
2. What does Maria ask Sophie to translate after interrupting her aria?
3. Who does Sophie admire?
4. Who returns her music score to Sophie in Act I?
5. Who does Manny acknowledge in the audience?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maria tell Sharon about applause toward the end of Act II?
2. How does the audience learn of Onassis' reaction to Maria's pregnancy?
3. What skill does Maria emphasize to Sophie in her master class?
4. How does Maria describe the experience of performing in front of the world's dignitaries at La Scala?
5. How does Sophie respond when Maria criticizes her lack of emotion as a performer?
6. What does Maria say Onassis wanted her to do about her musical career?
7. What lesson does Maria teach Sharon about making an entrance?
8. Describe Lady Macbeth and the stage direction for Verdi's Letter Scene.
9. Does Maria have misgivings about teaching the master class?
10. How does Maria respond to Onassis' advice on what to do next after she loses her child?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)