|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maria tells the audience it's not a performance but a:
(d) Group activity.
2. Who is Rosa Ponselled, Giudetta Pasta, Lotte Lehmann and Zinka Milanov?
(a) Juilliard adminstrators.
(b) World's great sopranos.
(c) Neighbors of Maria's.
(d) Sophie's former teachers.
3. What is Onassis' business?
(a) Shipping magnate.
(c) Wine seller.
4. In Act I, what does Maria say Onassis wants her to do?
(a) Become a famous cellist.
(b) Stop performing and have his baby.
(c) Sing more often.
(d) Learn to act.
5. Who says, "She's wearing so many diamonds she can scarcely move her arms..."?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria say to Sophie before she leaves the stage in Act I?
2. What does Maria say about her accompanist's appearance?
3. What does Maria say about projection in Act I?
4. What does Maria tell the audience about Sophie?
5. In Act I, who does Maria remember performing for at La Scala?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maria's criticism of Sharon's clothing choice.
2. Describe Lady Macbeth and the stage direction for Verdi's Letter Scene.
3. Give two examples of how Maria tries to heighten Sharon's emotional response to the Verdi opera.
4. What does Maria do when Sophie cannot translate the Italian verse?
5. How did Maria learn to be disciplined about music during the war?
6. As a teacher, what does Maria want as compensation for her efforts?
7. What interruptions occur when Sophie prepares to sing?
8. In what way is Maria critical of Sharon's singing ability?
9. Does Maria have misgivings about teaching the master class?
10. When Sophie begins to sing, what does Maria begin thinking of?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)