|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two states sue the FDC in 1954 in order to decrease oil prices?
2. Who does LBJ know opposes change to the Civil Rights Bill?
3. Who does Eisenhower say has the power to kill the whole civil rights bill?
4. What group steps in to help the widow of the deceased man in 1945?
5. How many southern states call LBJ "favorite son"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does LBJ argue about that Civil Rights legislation needing to be?
2. How does the quid pro quo work for LBJ's Civil Rights bill?
3. Why is LBJ's check-up at the Mayo Clinic a convenient absence from Senate?
4. What does the 1956 election do to LBJ?
5. How does LBJ keep a sense of urgency alive in the Senate?
6. What is Russell's strategy for the speeches given by the southerners over the Civil Rights bill?
7. Why does LBJ want his Vice Presidential offices to remain where his Senate offices are?
8. What leads to the increase the black voters?
9. What is the reason and possible consequences for LBJ delaying his announcement to run for president?
10. What happens in the Senate when Neely of West Virginia dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What changes come about in the marches and protests of African Americans after Martian Luther King Jr came on the scene?
How does the public perceive these events during this time?
How does the Senate perceive these events?
What factors of this increased leadership support Civil Rights in the Senate?
Essay Topic 2
LBJ is a powerful force. In your opinion, do others respect LBJ or simply fear him? Provide evidence for your answer based on events and situations from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Provide examples of time when LBJ is humiliated.
How does LBJ deal with this humiliation?
Is he able to grow and learn from it?
Does he hold grudges against those who humiliates him?
How does LBJ actions after being humiliated compare and contract with how he acts after humiliating others?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)