|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Senate do when LBJ is welcomed back from his heart attack and recovery in 1956?
2. What committees do the new Democrats demand?
3. How many votes short is LBJ for the support of his Civil Rights bill?
4. What do Church and O'Mahoney propose as an addendum to voting rights laws?
5. How does LBJ feel he wins over the liberals for the coming Democratic Presidential nomination?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the liberals attempt to do to speed up the bills reaching the Senate floor?
2. Why does LBJ want his Vice Presidential offices to remain where his Senate offices are?
3. What does Russell claim Part III of the Civil Rights bill really is?
4. Why do the unions support LBJ's bill and provide him with the remaining votes he needs?
5. Why does LBJ distance himself from the publicity surrounding the funeral?
6. What are LBJ's fears when the Rules Committee forms a sub-committee to investigate campaign financing?
7. What does the 1956 election do to LBJ?
8. How does LBJ keep a sense of urgency alive in the Senate?
9. Why is LBJ's check-up at the Mayo Clinic a convenient absence from Senate?
10. Why does Russell advise LBJ that his bill is meaningless at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the actions of Andrew Johnson during his presidency concerning seeking revenge after the war.
What is the reaction of the House of Representatives?
What is the reaction of the Senate?
What effects do these actions have on the country?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the most popular committees Senators want to be on? Discuss why these committees are the favorites among Senators and what type of changes they make by being on these committees.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the technique of Live Paring for Senate votes.
How does LBJ use this to become useful as a Whip?
What legislation is affected during LBJ's time as Whip because of Live Paring?
How do these actions effect LBJ's career?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)