|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rayburn stall in order to help LBJ with the presidential nomination?
2. What conservative Senator does LBJ call to replace Kilgore after his death in 1956?
3. How many African Americans are registered to vote in Bullock County, AL in 1954?
4. Who is recruited to win over Rauth in chapter 41?
5. In addition to LBJ, what other two Senators do not sign the Declaration of Constitutional Principles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does LBJ distance himself from the publicity surrounding the funeral?
2. What is Russell's strategy for the speeches given by the southerners over the Civil Rights bill?
3. How does LBJ keep a sense of urgency alive in the Senate?
4. How does LBJ coordinate the return of Private Felic Longoria's body?
5. What is the result of Governor Faubus' actions regarding the African American children and Central High School?
6. Why is it important for LBJ to win the 1956 Democratic nomination?
7. What two committees wae created in 1958 and what is their purpose?
8. What happens in the Senate when Neely of West Virginia dies?
9. What environment does LBJ grow up in that leads him to be prejudice?
10. What does the Declaration of Constitutional Principles pronounce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide examples of time when LBJ is humiliated.
How does LBJ deal with this humiliation?
Is he able to grow and learn from it?
Does he hold grudges against those who humiliates him?
How does LBJ actions after being humiliated compare and contract with how he acts after humiliating others?
Essay Topic 2
LBJ gladly accepts the unwanted position of Democratic Whip then Minority Leaders. Outline LBJ's political strategy in making these bold moves.
How can the strategy backfired?
What does LBJ have to do to maximize his time in these positions?
Many other have a difficult time in these positions. Does LBJ? Why or Why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the press' role in the advancement of LBJ's career.
How does he use the press to his advantage?
Does LBJ ever use the press unethically?
List examples of LBJ's use and connections with the press.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)