|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony study at university?
2. What does Alexandra think of George?
3. What are transferred in Alexandra's name on her 23rd birthday?
4. What country is Mellis's father from?
5. What does Alexander say he wants to be when he grows up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does George fool Kate in this section?
2. How does Eve transfer the blame of her expulsion onto Alexandra?
3. How does Eve kill George in this section?
4. What does Templeton learn about George in this section?
5. How does Eve convince Dr. Harley Alexandra is ill?
6. How does Kate react when Tony says he wants to become an artist?
7. How does Eve create trouble at the boarding school in South Carolina?
8. Why do Alexandra's co-workers finally accept her at the agency?
9. Why do the adults think Alexandra is a clumsy child?
10. How does Tony get away from business school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Kate's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to the she is at the end.
1. What did Kate hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Kate's ideas about life?
3. How has Kate's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the books settings. What are the differences between the South African and American setting? How does the author use the settings to create meaning within the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the students think Kate makes such a successful business woman? Why is Kate so motivated to maintain the family's power? Can the students think of anyone in real life that is similar to Kate's character?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)