|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two cities did Jamie stop at to raise money for the ticket to South Africa?
2. Who is the man the police are looking for?
3. Who are the only people in the town who will talk to Margeret?
4. What does Jamie suffer at the age of only 28?
5. What country has Kate's father just arrived in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does think Jamie a raft will help them in their mission to steal from Van der Merwe's diamond beach in Namib Desert?
2. What problems do Banda and Jamie have with their raft?
3. How does the Boer War affect Margaret and Kate's lives?
4. How does Jamie use Margaret to get back at Van der Merwe?
5. Why does Margaret send Kate to boarding school?
6. How does Jamie think they can get across the minefield?
7. How does David find new work in this section?
8. Why did Van der Merwe give Banda a job at his store?
9. What secret does Kate hold from David during their marriage?
10. Why does Jamie decide to marry Margaret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the following questions:
1) Why is Eve so against her sister Alexandra?
2) What does say about Alexandra that she never reacts badly to Alexandra behavior?
3) What meaning does it give the story that it is Eve and not Alexandra that suffers in the end?
Essay Topic 2
Why do the students think Kate makes such a successful business woman? Why is Kate so motivated to maintain the family's power? Can the students think of anyone in real life that is similar to Kate's character?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did each generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)