Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Jamie and Banda ask for a job?
2. Who invites Jamie to dinner in this section?
3. Who are the police looking for in this section?
4. How did Van der Merwe reward Banda for saving his daughter?
5. Where does Margaret take a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Van der Merwe give Banda a job at his store?
2. How does David find new work in this section?
3. How does Kate make Kruger-Brent one of the biggest conglomerates in the world?
4. How does Jamie use the guard to escape from the diamond beach?
5. How does Jamie get beaten up in this section?
6. Why does Van der Merwe make an exception of Jamie when he starts taking his daughter out into town?
7. Why does the headmistress at the Swiss school expel Eve?
8. How does Eve create trouble at the boarding school in South Carolina?
9. Why does no one recognize Jamie when he returns to Klipdrift?
10. How does Eve kill George in this section?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent. How did the author adapt it for his book?
1. The South African diamond trade.
2. South African culture.
3. Family dynasties.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the following questions:
1) Why is Eve so against her sister Alexandra?
2) What does say about Alexandra that she never reacts badly to Alexandra behavior?
3) What meaning does it give the story that it is Eve and not Alexandra that suffers in the end?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)