|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the only people in the town who will talk to Margeret?
2. Who does Jamie meet at the general store?
3. What does Kate buy in Dark Harbor Maine?
4. Who falls into financial trouble in this section?
5. Why does a riot break out on the diamond beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jamie despise Margaret?
2. How does Jamie get Van der Merwe's diamond beach?
3. How does Jamie think they can get across the minefield?
4. Describe Kate's character.
5. Why does Van der Merwe make an exception of Jamie when he starts taking his daughter out into town?
6. Why did Van der Merwe give Banda a job at his store?
7. What secret does Kate hold from David during their marriage?
8. How does Jamie use the guard to escape from the diamond beach?
9. Why do the police want to kill Banda?
10. What problems do Banda and Jamie have with their raft?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the books settings. What are the differences between the South African and American setting? How does the author use the settings to create meaning within the story?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the following questions:
1) Why is Eve so against her sister Alexandra?
2) What does say about Alexandra that she never reacts badly to Alexandra behavior?
3) What meaning does it give the story that it is Eve and not Alexandra that suffers in the end?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Kate's obsession with her family business affected one of the following areas in her life.
2. Social life.
3. Intimate relationships.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)