|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Van der Merwe's daughter?
2. What can Van der Merwe no longer attend now that his daughter is pregnant?
3. What has Jamie gone to Klipdrift to find?
4. What does Jamie buy with the diamonds he finds?
5. What does Van der Merwe do the day the bank takes his store?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jamie use Margaret to get back at Van der Merwe?
2. How does Jamie think they can get across the minefield?
3. How does Jamie's life take a turn for the worse in this section?
4. What proposition does Van der Merwe make Jamie over dinner?
5. What secret does Kate hold from David during their marriage?
6. Why did Van der Merwe give Banda a job at his store?
7. How does Jamie try to calm down the strikers?
8. How does David find new work in this section?
9. Why does no one recognize Jamie when he returns to Klipdrift?
10. Why do the police want to kill Banda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does James develop his business? How is Jame's drive for success passed on to his family members?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the following questions:
1) Why is Eve so against her sister Alexandra?
2) What does say about Alexandra that she never reacts badly to Alexandra behavior?
3) What meaning does it give the story that it is Eve and not Alexandra that suffers in the end?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent. How did the author adapt it for his book?
1. The South African diamond trade.
2. South African culture.
3. Family dynasties.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)