|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Margaret take a job?
2. What does Josephine father want to transport?
3. What does Jamie suggest they use to travel over the reefs in Namib Desert?
4. What news does Margaret have for Jamie in this section?
5. Who are the only people in the town who will talk to Margeret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kate help Banda escape?
2. What problems does Jamie suffer on his journey to find diamonds?
3. How does Jamie use Margaret to get back at Van der Merwe?
4. What problems do Banda and Jamie have with their raft?
5. How does Jamie get beaten up in this section?
6. What proposition does Van der Merwe make Jamie over dinner?
7. How does Jamie get Van der Merwe's diamond beach?
8. How does Jamie think they can get across the minefield?
9. Why does Jamie despise Margaret?
10. How does Jamie try to calm down the strikers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did each generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jamie's death affect the lives of the characters? How would the story if Jamie lived?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)