|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kate marry at the end of this section?
2. What does Jamie do when he is not traveling on business?
3. What does Kate buy in Dark Harbor Maine?
4. Who rescues Jamie from the desert?
5. Who does the store owner's daughter suggest Jamie talks to about finding diamonds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jamie's marriage to Margaret.
2. How does Jamie get Van der Merwe's diamond beach?
3. How does David find new work in this section?
4. Why does no one recognize Jamie when he returns to Klipdrift?
5. How does Jamie use the guard to escape from the diamond beach?
6. How does Jamie's life take a turn for the worse in this section?
7. Why do the police want to kill Banda?
8. How does Jamie use Margaret to get back at Van der Merwe?
9. What proposition does Van der Merwe make Jamie over dinner?
10. Describe Kate's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does James develop his business? How is Jame's drive for success passed on to his family members?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the following questions:
1) Why do the students think Kate grows up into such cold person?
2) How does Kate's cold attitude affect the other family members?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)