|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does no one recognize Jamie?
2. What is the name of the man who owns the general store?
3. Who invades Klipdrift?
4. Why does Margaret like the name Kate?
5. What is the name of Kate's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Van der Merwe refuse to give Jamie what he expected?
2. How does Jamie's life take a turn for the worse in this section?
3. Describe Jamie's marriage to Margaret.
4. Why does Kate help Banda escape?
5. Why do the police want to kill Banda?
6. Why does Jamie despise Margaret?
7. How does Jamie use the guard to escape from the diamond beach?
8. Why does Banda dislike Van der Merwe?
9. What problems do Banda and Jamie have with their raft?
10. Why does no one recognize Jamie when he returns to Klipdrift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did each generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters?
Essay Topic 2
What does Van der Merwe's character say about South Africa during the late 19th century in South Africa? How does James ruin Van der Merwe's life? How would James's life have developed if Van der Merwe had treated him fairly?
Essay Topic 3
What does Sidney Sheldon say about the self-made man? What does it say about Sheldon's own views about life? How does the theme link to American society in the 1980s? How does he use the main characters to express his view?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)