|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language is the contract written in?
2. Why does Kate say she liked Banda?
3. What country was Jamie from originally?
4. What is the name of Kate's father?
5. What does Kate study when she returns to South Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kate's life change after her mother's death?
2. How does Jamie use the guard to escape from the diamond beach?
3. How does the Boer War affect Margaret and Kate's lives?
4. Why does Van der Merwe make an exception of Jamie when he starts taking his daughter out into town?
5. What secret does Kate hold from David during their marriage?
6. Why does Banda dislike Van der Merwe?
7. How does Jamie get to Klipdrift?
8. How does Jamie try to calm down the strikers?
9. Describe Jamie's marriage to Margaret.
10. Why does Jamie despise Margaret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the similarities between Alexandra and Eve as twin? Why do the students think Eve is so obsessed with killing Alexandra?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jamie's death affect the lives of the characters? How would the story if Jamie lived?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the students think Kate makes such a successful business woman? Why is Kate so motivated to maintain the family's power? Can the students think of anyone in real life that is similar to Kate's character?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)