|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jamie spend all his freetime with?
2. Who does Jamie meet at the general store?
3. What does Jamie do when Margaret refuses to give up her child?
4. Where does Jamie want to steal diamonds from?
5. Who does Jamie fall in love with in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the prison camp affect Kate?
2. Why is everyone at the advertising company hostile towards Alexandra?
3. Why does think Jamie a raft will help them in their mission to steal from Van der Merwe's diamond beach in Namib Desert?
4. Why does Jamie decide to marry Margaret?
5. How does Kate react when Tony says he wants to become an artist?
6. What proposition does Van der Merwe make Jamie over dinner?
7. Why does Jamie despise Margaret?
8. How does Kate make Kruger-Brent one of the biggest conglomerates in the world?
9. How does Eve kill George in this section?
10. How does Eve create trouble at the boarding school in South Carolina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Van der Merwe's character say about South Africa during the late 19th century in South Africa? How does James ruin Van der Merwe's life? How would James's life have developed if Van der Merwe had treated him fairly?
Essay Topic 2
In what does the author suggest there is a attraction between James and Margaret? Why does James shy away from the attraction that he feels for Margaret? How does James' attitude for Margaret set the standards for the Blackwell's family's attitude?
Essay Topic 3
What does Sidney Sheldon say about the self-made man? What does it say about Sheldon's own views about life? How does the theme link to American society in the 1980s? How does he use the main characters to express his view?
This section contains 1,381 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)