|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Margaret have for Jamie in this section?
2. Why does Van der Merwe allow Margert to take him on tours of the town?
3. What does Kate study when she returns to South Africa?
4. Where has Banda settled down?
5. Where does Jamie eat his dinner in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jamie decide to marry Margaret?
2. How does David find new work in this section?
3. Why does Margaret send Kate to boarding school?
4. Why does Van der Merwe make an exception of Jamie when he starts taking his daughter out into town?
5. How does Jamie use the guard to escape from the diamond beach?
6. How does Jamie use Margaret to get back at Van der Merwe?
7. How does the prison camp affect Kate?
8. Why did Van der Merwe give Banda a job at his store?
9. How does Jamie get Van der Merwe's diamond beach?
10. Why does no one recognize Jamie when he returns to Klipdrift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
What does Van der Merwe's character say about South Africa during the late 19th century in South Africa? How does James ruin Van der Merwe's life? How would James's life have developed if Van der Merwe had treated him fairly?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Kate's obsession with her family business affected one of the following areas in her life.
2. Social life.
3. Intimate relationships.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)