|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Van der Merwe's daughter?
2. Where does Jamie want to steal diamonds from?
3. Where has Banda settled down?
4. What does Kate study when she returns to South Africa?
5. Why does a riot break out on the diamond beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jamie's life take a turn for the worse in this section?
2. Why does no one recognize Jamie when he returns to Klipdrift?
3. How does the Boer War affect Margaret and Kate's lives?
4. How does Jamie use the guard to escape from the diamond beach?
5. Why does Jamie despise Margaret?
6. Why does Kate help Banda escape?
7. What problems do Banda and Jamie have with their raft?
8. Why does Van der Merwe refuse to give Jamie what he expected?
9. How does the prison camp affect Kate?
10. What proposition does Van der Merwe make Jamie over dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the students think Kate makes such a successful business woman? Why is Kate so motivated to maintain the family's power? Can the students think of anyone in real life that is similar to Kate's character?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the following questions:
1) Why is Eve so against her sister Alexandra?
2) What does say about Alexandra that she never reacts badly to Alexandra behavior?
3) What meaning does it give the story that it is Eve and not Alexandra that suffers in the end?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Kate's obsession with her family business affected one of the following areas in her life.
2. Social life.
3. Intimate relationships.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)