|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jamie tell Van der Merwe got his daughter pregnant?
2. What country has Kate's father just arrived in?
3. Who does Jamie mistake his wife for in this section?
4. What is Magaret dying from in this section?
5. Who are the police looking for in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jamie decide to marry Margaret?
2. Why did Van der Merwe give Banda a job at his store?
3. How does Jamie get to Klipdrift?
4. Why does no one recognize Jamie when he returns to Klipdrift?
5. What secret does Kate hold from David during their marriage?
6. How does the Boer War affect Margaret and Kate's lives?
7. Why does Jamie despise Margaret?
8. Why do the police want to kill Banda?
9. Describe Jamie's marriage to Margaret.
10. How does Jamie get beaten up in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does George play in the book? How would the book change if he was not part of it? How is he important in developing the characters of both Eve and Alexandra?
Essay Topic 2
What are the similarities between Alexandra and Eve as twin? Why do the students think Eve is so obsessed with killing Alexandra?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Kate's obsession with her family business affected one of the following areas in her life.
2. Social life.
3. Intimate relationships.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)