|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Margaret like the name Kate?
2. What does Margaret name her daughter?
3. Who does Jamie fall in love with in this chapter?
4. What city does Banda take Jamie to too heal?
5. Who does Jamie first tell the truth about his identity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret send Kate to boarding school?
2. What proposition does Van der Merwe make Jamie over dinner?
3. Why did Van der Merwe give Banda a job at his store?
4. Why does Banda dislike Van der Merwe?
5. How does Jamie try to calm down the strikers?
6. How does Kate's life change after her mother's death?
7. How does the Boer War affect Margaret and Kate's lives?
8. Why do the police want to kill Banda?
9. How does Jamie use the guard to escape from the diamond beach?
10. How does David find new work in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what does the author suggest there is a attraction between James and Margaret? Why does James shy away from the attraction that he feels for Margaret? How does James' attitude for Margaret set the standards for the Blackwell's family's attitude?
Essay Topic 2
What are the similarities between Alexandra and Eve as twin? Why do the students think Eve is so obsessed with killing Alexandra?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of Sheldon's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Sheldon's argument?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)