|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jamie do when he is not traveling on business?
2. What is the name of Van der Merwe's daughter?
3. What does Kate study when she returns to South Africa?
4. Why does no one recognize Jamie?
5. What is the name of Kate's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jamie despise Margaret?
2. How does Jamie get the bartender onto his side?
3. How does Kate manipulate Tony in to marrying Marianne?
4. How does David find new work in this section?
5. What proposition does Van der Merwe make Jamie over dinner?
6. Why does Margaret send Kate to boarding school?
7. Why did Van der Merwe give Banda a job at his store?
8. How does Jamie get to Klipdrift?
9. How does Jamie use Margaret to get back at Van der Merwe?
10. How does Jamie think they can get across the minefield?
Essay Topic 1
What role does George play in the book? How would the book change if he was not part of it? How is he important in developing the characters of both Eve and Alexandra?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Kate's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to the she is at the end.
1. What did Kate hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Kate's ideas about life?
3. How has Kate's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)