|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Van der Merwe do the day the bank takes his store?
2. What does Margaret leave at Jamie's house for a week?
3. What news does Margeret have for Jamie in this section?
4. Who rescues Jamie from the desert?
5. What does Josephine father want to transport?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret send Kate to boarding school?
2. How does the Boer War affect Margaret and Kate's lives?
3. How does Jamie use Margaret to get back at Van der Merwe?
4. Why does Banda dislike Van der Merwe?
5. Why does Kate help Banda escape?
6. How does Jamie get to Klipdrift?
7. Why do the police want to kill Banda?
8. How does Jamie think they can get across the minefield?
9. Why does Jamie decide to marry Margaret?
10. How does Jamie get the bartender onto his side?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jamie's death affect the lives of the characters? How would the story if Jamie lived?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the students think Kate makes such a successful business woman? Why is Kate so motivated to maintain the family's power? Can the students think of anyone in real life that is similar to Kate's character?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)