|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Band not want to cross in the fog?
2. What does Kate begin manufacturing in this section?
3. Who falls into financial trouble in this section?
4. Who invades Klipdrift?
5. What does Jamie buy with the diamonds he finds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does think Jamie a raft will help them in their mission to steal from Van der Merwe's diamond beach in Namib Desert?
2. How does David find new work in this section?
3. How does Jamie get the bartender onto his side?
4. Why does Kate help Banda escape?
5. Why does Jamie decide to marry Margaret?
6. Why does Van der Merwe refuse to give Jamie what he expected?
7. How does Jamie get to Klipdrift?
8. What problems do Banda and Jamie have with their raft?
9. Describe Jamie's marriage to Margaret.
10. How does Kate's life change after her mother's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does George play in the book? How would the book change if he was not part of it? How is he important in developing the characters of both Eve and Alexandra?
Essay Topic 2
In what does the author suggest there is a attraction between James and Margaret? Why does James shy away from the attraction that he feels for Margaret? How does James' attitude for Margaret set the standards for the Blackwell's family's attitude?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)