|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jamie want to steal diamonds from?
2. What does Jamie do when Margaret refuses to give up her child?
3. How did Van der Merwe reward Banda for saving his daughter?
4. Where does Jamie eat his dinner in this section?
5. Who does Jamie spend all his freetime with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Boer War affect Margaret and Kate's lives?
2. What secret does Kate hold from David during their marriage?
3. Why does Margaret send Kate to boarding school?
4. Why did Van der Merwe give Banda a job at his store?
5. Describe Jamie's marriage to Margaret.
6. How does Jamie get to Klipdrift?
7. How does Jamie try to calm down the strikers?
8. What problems do Banda and Jamie have with their raft?
9. How does Jamie get the bartender onto his side?
10. Describe Kate's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does George play in the book? How would the book change if he was not part of it? How is he important in developing the characters of both Eve and Alexandra?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did each generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)