|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Van der Merwe allow Margert to take him on tours of the town?
2. What has Banda began protesting against?
3. Who invites Jamie to dinner in this section?
4. Who does Jamie name his business after?
5. What does Jamie suggest they use to travel over the reefs in Namib Desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret does Kate hold from David during their marriage?
2. What proposition does Van der Merwe make Jamie over dinner?
3. How does Jamie's life take a turn for the worse in this section?
4. Why does think Jamie a raft will help them in their mission to steal from Van der Merwe's diamond beach in Namib Desert?
5. Why did Van der Merwe give Banda a job at his store?
6. How does Kate's life change after her mother's death?
7. What problems does Jamie suffer on his journey to find diamonds?
8. How does Jamie try to calm down the strikers?
9. Why does Jamie decide to marry Margaret?
10. Describe Kate's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jamie's death affect the lives of the characters? How would the story if Jamie lived?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Kate's obsession with her family business affected one of the following areas in her life.
2. Social life.
3. Intimate relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)