|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is kidnapped in this section?
2. Who does Jamie spend all his freetime with?
3. What country was Jamie from originally?
4. What city does Banda take Jamie to too heal?
5. Who does Kate marry at the end of this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Van der Merwe refuse to give Jamie what he expected?
2. How does Jamie think they can get across the minefield?
3. How does the Boer War affect Margaret and Kate's lives?
4. Why does Van der Merwe make an exception of Jamie when he starts taking his daughter out into town?
5. Why does Banda dislike Van der Merwe?
6. Describe Jamie's marriage to Margaret.
7. How does the prison camp affect Kate?
8. Describe Kate's character.
9. How does Kate's life change after her mother's death?
10. Why does Margaret send Kate to boarding school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the following questions:
1) Why is Eve so against her sister Alexandra?
2) What does say about Alexandra that she never reacts badly to Alexandra behavior?
3) What meaning does it give the story that it is Eve and not Alexandra that suffers in the end?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent. How did the author adapt it for his book?
1. The South African diamond trade.
2. South African culture.
3. Family dynasties.
Essay Topic 3
How does James develop his business? How is Jame's drive for success passed on to his family members?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)