|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who falls into financial trouble in this section?
2. Where does Jamie want to steal diamonds from?
3. Who does Jamie tell Van der Merwe got his daughter pregnant?
4. Why does Margaret say she wants to die?
5. How did Merwe's sister die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David find new work in this section?
2. How does Jamie get beaten up in this section?
3. What proposition does Van der Merwe make Jamie over dinner?
4. What secret does Kate hold from David during their marriage?
5. Why does no one recognize Jamie when he returns to Klipdrift?
6. Why does Van der Merwe make an exception of Jamie when he starts taking his daughter out into town?
7. Why does Kate help Banda escape?
8. How does Jamie use Margaret to get back at Van der Merwe?
9. Why does Jamie despise Margaret?
10. How does Jamie think they can get across the minefield?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the students think Kate makes such a successful business woman? Why is Kate so motivated to maintain the family's power? Can the students think of anyone in real life that is similar to Kate's character?
Essay Topic 2
How accurate do the students think is Sidney Sheldon's representation of powerful families? How does he use the story and character to create his representation?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)