|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language is the contract written in?
2. Who does Jamie first tell the truth about his identity?
3. How does Van der Merwe react when Jamie tells him his daughter is pregnant?
4. Why does a riot break out on the diamond beach?
5. Where is Kate working at the beginning of this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does no one recognize Jamie when he returns to Klipdrift?
2. How does Kate's life change after her mother's death?
3. What problems does Jamie suffer on his journey to find diamonds?
4. How does the Boer War affect Margaret and Kate's lives?
5. How does Jamie get beaten up in this section?
6. How does David find new work in this section?
7. Why does Van der Merwe make an exception of Jamie when he starts taking his daughter out into town?
8. How does Jamie's life take a turn for the worse in this section?
9. Why does Van der Merwe refuse to give Jamie what he expected?
10. What problems do Banda and Jamie have with their raft?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Kate's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to the she is at the end.
1. What did Kate hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Kate's ideas about life?
3. How has Kate's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
In what does the author suggest there is a attraction between James and Margaret? Why does James shy away from the attraction that he feels for Margaret? How does James' attitude for Margaret set the standards for the Blackwell's family's attitude?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent. How did the author adapt it for his book?
1. The South African diamond trade.
2. South African culture.
3. Family dynasties.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)