|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who owns the general store?
2. Who does Jamie spend all his freetime with?
3. What does Jamie call his business?
4. What does Margaret name her daughter?
5. Who takes care of Jamie after he suffers a stroke?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jamie try to calm down the strikers?
2. Why does Van der Merwe make an exception of Jamie when he starts taking his daughter out into town?
3. What problems do Banda and Jamie have with their raft?
4. What problems does Jamie suffer on his journey to find diamonds?
5. Why does no one recognize Jamie when he returns to Klipdrift?
6. Why does Jamie decide to marry Margaret?
7. How does Jamie use Margaret to get back at Van der Merwe?
8. How does the Boer War affect Margaret and Kate's lives?
9. How does Jamie get Van der Merwe's diamond beach?
10. Why do the police want to kill Banda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the books settings. What are the differences between the South African and American setting? How does the author use the settings to create meaning within the story?
Essay Topic 2
What are the similarities between Alexandra and Eve as twin? Why do the students think Eve is so obsessed with killing Alexandra?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did each generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)