|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a riot break out on the diamond beach?
2. What is the name of Kate's father?
3. Where does Jamie return to in this section?
4. Why does Banda say he took Kate?
5. Who does Jamie name his business after?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jamie's life take a turn for the worse in this section?
2. Why does Kate help Banda escape?
3. How does Jamie use the guard to escape from the diamond beach?
4. Why does no one recognize Jamie when he returns to Klipdrift?
5. Why does Jamie decide to marry Margaret?
6. Why does Margaret send Kate to boarding school?
7. Why did Van der Merwe give Banda a job at his store?
8. How does Jamie get beaten up in this section?
9. Why do the police want to kill Banda?
10. Why does think Jamie a raft will help them in their mission to steal from Van der Merwe's diamond beach in Namib Desert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Sidney Sheldon say about the self-made man? What does it say about Sheldon's own views about life? How does the theme link to American society in the 1980s? How does he use the main characters to express his view?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Kate's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to the she is at the end.
1. What did Kate hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Kate's ideas about life?
3. How has Kate's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)