|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David decide to enlist in the army?
2. Where does Jamie return to in this section?
3. Where has Banda settled down?
4. What kind animal dies on Jamie's journey to find diamonds?
5. Who did Banda kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kate's character.
2. Why does Kate help Banda escape?
3. How does Jamie use Margaret to get back at Van der Merwe?
4. Why does no one recognize Jamie when he returns to Klipdrift?
5. Why does Van der Merwe make an exception of Jamie when he starts taking his daughter out into town?
6. How does the Boer War affect Margaret and Kate's lives?
7. What problems does Jamie suffer on his journey to find diamonds?
8. Why did Van der Merwe give Banda a job at his store?
9. Why does Van der Merwe refuse to give Jamie what he expected?
10. How does Jamie get to Klipdrift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Kate and Margaret experience at the concentration camps? How do the concentration camps affect Margaret and Kate's relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
What does Sidney Sheldon say about the self-made man? What does it say about Sheldon's own views about life? How does the theme link to American society in the 1980s? How does he use the main characters to express his view?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)