|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Banda accuse the government of killing?
(a) His wife.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His father.
(d) His son.
2. Who do Jamie and Banda ask for a job?
(a) A manager.
(b) A worker.
(c) A diamond mine owner.
(d) A guard.
3. Why does a riot break out on the diamond beach?
(a) The overseer was too cruel.
(b) The workers were not being paid enough.
(c) The overseer killed himself.
(d) The workers wanted a holiday.
4. Who is Kate in love with?
5. Why does Margaret say she wants to die?
(a) She will be with Jamie again.
(b) She is tired of life.
(c) She wants to meet God.
(d) Heaven is a great place.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Band not want to cross in the fog?
2. What does Josephine father want to transport?
3. What sport does Jamie like to do with his son?
4. What is Kate Blackwell celebrating in the prologue?
5. Why does Banda say he took Kate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What proposition does Van der Merwe make Jamie over dinner?
2. What changes does Kate make to the business in this section?
3. Why does the headmistress at the Swiss school expel Eve?
4. What secret does Kate hold from David during their marriage?
5. Why does Banda dislike Van der Merwe?
6. Describe Kate's character.
7. Why does Jamie despise Margaret?
8. How does Eve transfer the blame of her expulsion onto Alexandra?
9. How does Jamie think they can get across the minefield?
10. How does Keith destroy Eve's life?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)