|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event happens in 1899?
(a) The Boer War.
(c) Civil Rights.
(d) The Civil War.
2. What is Van der Merwe forced to put up for sale?
(a) His horses.
(b) His shop.
(c) His house.
(d) His diamond beach.
3. What does Van der Merwe do the day the bank takes his store?
(a) Kills his daughter.
(b) Kills himself.
(c) Leaves the country.
(d) Moves to Capetown.
4. What is the first city in South Africa Jamie visits?
(c) Cape Town.
5. What does Jamie suggest they use to travel over the reefs in Namib Desert?
(a) Rowing boat.
(b) A canoe.
(c) A raft.
(d) A yacht.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jamie call his business?
2. Who rescues Jamie from the desert?
3. What is the name of Kate's father?
4. Why does Banda say he took Kate?
5. What does Kate smuggle Banda into?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kate's life change after her mother's death?
2. How does David find new work in this section?
3. How does Jamie's life take a turn for the worse in this section?
4. How does Jamie try to calm down the strikers?
5. How does the Boer War affect Margaret and Kate's lives?
6. How does Jamie get Van der Merwe's diamond beach?
7. What secret does Kate hold from David during their marriage?
8. Why does Van der Merwe refuse to give Jamie what he expected?
9. How does Jamie get to Klipdrift?
10. How does Jamie get beaten up in this section?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)