Prologue, Kate 1982 and Book One, Jamie 1883-1906: Chapters 1-3
• Kate Blackwell celebrates her ninetieth birthday in her house in Maine. She silently berates all the people who talk about her like she was a saint and looks back on her past.
• Katie thinks back to her father's arrival in South Africa. After saving money in Edinburgh, he left for South Africa to find his fortune.
• From Cape Town, Jamie travels to a town called Klipdrift. Here he learns about a diamond prospector called Salomon van der Merwe.
• Jamie and van der Meerwe come to an agreement. Van de Meere will send Jamie to find diamonds and register them and they will split the money equally. The next day Jamie signs a contract.
• After a tough journey, Jamie finds a dozen large diamonds. He buys himself a horse and carriage and travels back to Klipdrift.
• Van der Meere tells...
This section contains 1,881 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)