|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Myrtle ride in the countryside with?
2. Where did Jones meet George after he was barred from the Hardys' house?
3. What does Potter think the camera is incapable of exposing?
4. What is the soldier's real name?
5. Who does Mrs. Yardley say is his having financial troubles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Potter suffer in this chapter?
2. Explain the author's use of foreshadowing in the discussion about survival between Potter and Jones.
3. How does George react to Myrtle's sexual advances?
4. Summarize the fourth chapter.
5. How does Myrtle respond to George's death?
6. In what way is Myrtle's character strengthened in the fourth chapter?
7. How does Pompey prove he is in love with Myrtle?
8. What do Myrtle and Mrs. Yardley experience on their pony ride?
9. Describe Dr. Potter's hallucination.
10. How does Myrtle react to Jones' sexual advances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Myrtle's difficult early life affected two of the following aspects in her later life:
2. Social life
3. Intimate relationships
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)