|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the soldier shoot himself to get out of fighting?
2. Where does Myrtle find George asleep?
3. What were the trumpeter's last words?
4. Why does Myrtle think George rejected her?
5. Who entertains the group in the second act of the concert troup's performance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jones describe himself as a circus animal?
2. Why does Dr. Potter think Myrtle is an interesting subject as far as fate is concerned?
3. How does George die?
4. How does Potter ruin the dinner with the captains?
5. What is Dr. Potter's opinion of Pompey Jones?
6. Why do the soldiers set up camp above the Tchernaya valley?
7. In what way is Myrtle's character strengthened in the fourth chapter?
8. How do the group members keep their minds away from the hardships they witness and experience in Varna?
9. What do Myrtle and Mrs. Yardley experience on their pony ride?
10. How does Pompey say he tricked the woman to whom he gave the duck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)