|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Potter have to pick off his leg of mutton?
2. Where did Jones meet George after he was barred from the Hardys' house?
3. Who does Myrtle wish kept a photograph of her?
4. Where does the group come to after 25 miles of marching?
5. Which part of the soldier's body has been blown off?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does George react to Myrtle's sexual advances?
2. Summarize the fifth chapter.
3. How does Potter ruin the dinner with the captains?
4. How does George die?
5. What reason does Dr. Potter give Myrtle for marrying Beatrice?
6. Summarize the fourth chapter.
7. Why does Dr. Potter say Myrtle could be taken for a boy?
8. What does Jones tell Potter he wants from life?
9. How does Myrtle respond to George's death?
10. Why does Jones think that an angel is watching over Potter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)