|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did the soldier use to answer to?
2. Who does Jones keep a photograph of?
3. What kind of flowers does Dr. Potter imagine Beatrice is showing him?
4. What is Beatrice wearing in Dr. Potter's vision?
5. What kind of woman does Jones say he will marry when he goes home to England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dr. Potter's opinion of Pompey Jones?
2. How does Pompey prove he is in love with Myrtle?
3. In what way is Myrtle's character strengthened in the fourth chapter?
4. What reason does Dr. Potter give Myrtle for marrying Beatrice?
5. What does Jones tell Potter he wants from life?
6. What does Myrtle do with her two oranges?
7. How does Potter ruin the dinner with the captains?
8. Describe Dr. Potter's hallucination.
9. What do Myrtle and Mrs. Yardley experience on their pony ride?
10. Summarize the fourth chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare one of the main characters to the person he or she was at the beginning of the book to the person he or she is at the end of the end of the book.
1. What did he or she hope to achieve at the beginning of the novel?
2. What events change his or her ideas about life?
3. How has his or her character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)