|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crew do with the dead bodies on the ship?
2. Who narrates the fifth chapter?
3. Why does Pompey say he gave back the lady's duck?
4. Where does Myrtle find George asleep?
5. Who does Myrtle ride in the countryside with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pompey prove he is in love with Myrtle?
2. In what way is Myrtle's character strengthened in the fourth chapter?
3. Why did George not meet Myrtle?
4. How does the man with the missing ear die?
5. What is Dr. Potter's opinion of Pompey Jones?
6. What do Myrtle and Mrs. Yardley experience on their pony ride?
7. Describe the group's sea journey.
8. Summarize the fifth chapter.
9. How does Myrtle respond to George's death?
10. Why does Dr. Potter think Myrtle is an interesting subject as far as fate is concerned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1850s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the Crimean War.
1. Who was the war between and why were the two sides fighting?
2. Why was the Crimean viewed as the first modern war?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about mid 19th century society:
1. Class system
2. The military
3. Sexual relations
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)