|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is is in the third floor room of the building Georgie enters?
2. What does Pompey Jones switch the Persian rug with?
3. What is Potter's role during the operation on the ape?
4. Which character did Dr. Potter advise not to come on the journey?
5. What does Pompey say the ape's eyes are as dull as?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Rimmer, George and Pompey get the ape to turn around so they can take its photograph?
2. How does Myrtle show herself as both mentally and physically strong?
3. What does Dr. Potter tell his wife about the hermit of Malea?
4. How does the author express Myrtle's role as an outsider?
5. How does George's attitude change once he is in Constantnople?
6. Why does Pompey say he almost pities George?
7. What does Pompey Jones think is his role in life?
8. How does the Hardy family like society to see it?
9. How does Myrtle show her vulnerability in the third chapter?
10. How does Jones create havoc in the household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare one of the main characters to the person he or she was at the beginning of the book to the person he or she is at the end of the end of the book.
1. What did he or she hope to achieve at the beginning of the novel?
2. What events change his or her ideas about life?
3. How has his or her character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)