|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pompey have to accompany Master George?
2. Who narrates the second chapter?
3. What does Jones consider George to be?
4. What does Pompey tell the housekeeper that Georgie cut out from a live ape?
5. What country did Pompey's father not return from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Duck-Boy help George?
2. In what way does Pompey have a hold on George?
3. How do Rimmer, George and Pompey get the ape to turn around so they can take its photograph?
4. What does Pompey think about the success of the operation on the ape?
5. What does Pompey Jones think is his role in life?
6. What does Dr. Potter tell his wife about the hermit of Malea?
7. What is the situation when George, Myrtle and Dr. Potter arrive in Varna?
8. How does George cover up his father's death?
9. How does Myrtle show herself as both mentally and physically strong?
10. How does Pompey defend himself when the footman questions why Pompey wants to be more than a servant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1850s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the play express the changes European society was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1850s Europe?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)