|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is seasick for most of the journey?
2. What does Potter notice about George?
3. What does Pompey say the ape's eyes are as dull as?
4. What is Myrtle named after?
5. Which member of the Hardy family persuaded her parents to allow Myrtle to stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Hardy family like society to see it?
2. How does Myrtle show her vulnerability in the third chapter?
3. Where does Myrtle follow George in this chapter?
4. What does Pompey think about the success of the operation on the ape?
5. What does Pompey Jones think is his role in life?
6. Why does the group travel to Constantinople?
7. Describe Myrtle's early life.
8. How does Myrtle and George's relationship develop in the opening chapter?
9. How does Jones create havoc in the household?
10. What does the group experience aboard the boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)