|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the hermit's men drown?
2. What does Rimmer say he needs to do just before the operation on the ape?
3. Why does the group have to shoot a horse?
4. What is Margaret's occupation?
5. How does Pompey Jones create havoc in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does George cover up his father's death?
2. How does Pompey defend himself when the footman questions why Pompey wants to be more than a servant?
3. How does Myrtle and George's relationship develop in the opening chapter?
4. Why does the group travel to Constantinople?
5. How does Jones create havoc in the household?
6. What does Dr. Potter tell his wife about the hermit of Malea?
7. How does Pompey help George and Rimmer in this chapter?
8. What does Pompey Jones think is his role in life?
9. How does the Duck-Boy help George?
10. How has the Hardy family changed four years later?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does George's generation face? How are the problems for George's generation different from the problems his father's generation faced? Identify and discuss a significant problems facing your generation.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the Crimean War.
1. Who was the war between and why were the two sides fighting?
2. Why was the Crimean viewed as the first modern war?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)