|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What subject does Dr. Potter contribute to the dinner conversation?
(a) Roman philosophy.
(b) Greek mythology.
(c) American independence.
(d) English literature.
2. What kind of flowers does Dr. Potter imagine Beatrice is showing him?
(b) Blue cornflowers.
(d) Blue bells.
3. Why do Mrs. Yardley and the Colonel have to bring their own food when they have dinner with Myrtle and George?
(a) Myrtle is a vegetarian.
(b) Mrs. Yardley is a vegetarian.
(c) George has no cooking facilites.
(d) Rations are low.
4. What part of his body has the officer that George is carrying lost?
(a) His hands.
(b) His head.
(c) His face.
(d) His feet.
5. Whose relationship do Potter and Jones talk about the next day?
(a) Myrtle and George's.
(b) Potter and Beatrice's.
(c) Myrtle and Jones's.
(d) Jones and George's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the photographer tell Jones he wants to take a photograph of?
2. What does Jones say he thinks he hears George calling him as he dies?
3. What is the name of the ballad that has a profound effect on George?
4. What kind of ceremony does Pompey photograph?
5. What does the photographer urge his subjects to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dr. Potter's hallucination.
2. In what way is Myrtle's character strengthened in the fourth chapter?
3. Describe the group's sea journey.
4. What is Dr. Potter's opinion of Pompey Jones?
5. How does George react to Myrtle's sexual advances?
6. How does Pompey say he tricked the woman to whom he gave the duck?
7. Why does Dr. Potter think that heterosexuality is important?
8. How does Potter suffer in this chapter?
9. Explain the author's use of foreshadowing in the discussion about survival between Potter and Jones.
10. How does Potter ruin the dinner with the captains?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)