|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hardy teach Myrtle?
(a) How to read.
(b) How to ride a horse.
(c) How to knit.
(d) How to swim.
2. What is located on Myrtle Street?
(a) A steel factory.
(b) A hospital.
(c) A work house.
(d) An orphanage.
3. Where does George accept a post after Scutari?
4. What does Dr. Potter say frightened Annie out of her wits?
(a) Pompey's horse.
(b) The Persian rug.
(c) The tiger rug.
(d) Pompey's frog.
5. How does Myrtle react to seeing the puppy torn to shreds?
(a) She vomits.
(b) She faints.
(c) She calls the police.
(d) She shoots the dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Beatrice think is moving the furniture?
2. Who does Dr. Potter tell Beatrice a story about?
3. Who asks to speak to George when he gets back from the operation?
4. What does Myrtle say are embossed on Mr. Hardy's white toes?
5. What is Myrtle named after?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the first chapter.
2. What is Myrtle's life like with the Hardy family?
3. Describe Myrtle's early life.
4. In what way does Pompey have a hold on George?
5. How does the Hardy family like society to see it?
6. What is the situation when George, Myrtle and Dr. Potter arrive in Varna?
7. What does Pompey Jones think is his role in life?
8. Where does Myrtle follow George in this chapter?
9. How does Myrtle show her vulnerability in the third chapter?
10. How does Myrtle and George's relationship develop in the opening chapter?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)