|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What epidemic were the authorities trying to get under control when Myrtle moved in with the Hardys?
(c) Chicken pox.
2. Where has Myrtle been sent?
(a) An orpanage.
(c) A boarding school.
(d) A work house.
3. What is the Sweet Waters of Europe?
(a) A Turkish hotel.
(b) A Turkish restaurant.
(c) A Turkish resort.
(d) A Turkish baths.
4. Who narrates the third chapter?
(c) Dr. Potter.
(d) Master Georgie.
5. What part of her body did Annie break?
(a) Her back.
(b) Her arm.
(c) Her leg.
(d) Her wrist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of show does Myrtle watch in the park?
2. What does Rimmer say he needs to do just before the operation on the ape?
3. Which character is seasick for most of the journey?
4. What is the name of the war the soldiers are going to fight in?
5. What does Mrs. Hardy teach Myrtle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Myrtle show her vulnerability in the third chapter?
2. What is the situation when George, Myrtle and Dr. Potter arrive in Varna?
3. How does the author express Myrtle's role as an outsider?
4. How does George cover up his father's death?
5. How does Myrtle and George's relationship develop in the opening chapter?
6. What does the group do once it is in Constantinople?
7. What does Pompey Jones think is his role in life?
8. Summarize the second chapter.
9. Describe Myrtle's early life.
10. What is Myrtle's life like with the Hardy family?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)